Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 07:57 AM   #1006
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,462
On our last trip my friend and I compared fuel consumption at every stop on a 5 day ride... and found no difference... this trip was mostly highway riding... not alot of on / off throttle movement.

Trip before....Colorado / NewMexico

I was using about a 1 to 2 tenths of a gallon more on fill up when riding out on the trails in Colorado. I will be the first to say I am not hard on the bike at all... I ride a medium pace... Average with 5 riders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
I used the $75 Accelerator plug-in, and yes, it solved the snatchy problem perfectly. But it did affect my fuel mileage. I'm only averaging about 48 mpg now, where I was getting about 55mpg stock. The bike runs so much better with the Accelerator, I don't mind the mpg loss..

Goes to reason that a richer fuel mixture equates to greater fuel consumption. So, I expected this occurrence. I don't no why claims are made to the contrary. Have you actually experienced something different than this on your F800?

HF
Old 12-27-2012, 10:26 AM   #1007
DoWorkSon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
New owner question.....

Where can I purchase a spare tube for my bike and what is necessary for a tube repair change???? I'm new to tubed tires, so I have no idea what I need.

So far I have:
Cruz Tools tool kit
Slime air Pump

I need:
Bars to break bead and get tire off wheel
Lubricant?
Spare Tube

I have no idea where to purchase a spare tube or which one I need. I have K60's on bike now. I know a 21" tube will work on front/back, but I am not sure where to get or any other info. Any help would be great
DoWorkSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #1008
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWorkSon View Post
New owner question.....

Where can I purchase a spare tube for my bike and what is necessary for a tube repair change???? I'm new to tubed tires, so I have no idea what I need.
When you had your tires changed you could have (should have) gotten new tubes as well. I always ask for the old tubes back as they just get thrown out. You can go to any bike shop and they'll know what size you need. Mail order??
Old 12-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #1009
DoWorkSon
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
When you had your tires changed you could have (should have) gotten new tubes as well. I always ask for the old tubes back as they just get thrown out. You can go to any bike shop and they'll know what size you need. Mail order??
Yeah, never occurred to me until it was too late... The local shop is not far, so It's not a big deal. But, sometimes online ordering is cheaper/more convenient...
Old 12-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #1010
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,557
I recommend you do a few tire changes in the comfort of your garage. I can't count the number of pinch flats I went through until I learned the tricks of the trade. Good practice when there is no tire shop nearby.

Breaking the bead on the rear is a chore. See if you can do it with your tire irons. I could not until I got a long one.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #1011
dirtysouthjacket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
I recommend you do a few tire changes in the comfort of your garage. I can't count the number of pinch flats I went through until I learned the tricks of the trade. Good practice when there is no tire shop nearby.

Breaking the bead on the rear is a chore. See if you can do it with your tire irons. I could not until I got a long one.

What he said. It never really clicks, regardless of what you read, until you try to do it yourself. Also, before you even think about taking any tires off to practice, make sure you have PLENTY of extra tubes. Not just one!

I read these to start...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ht=neduro+tire

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/tire-changing-doc.html

Then I went out in the garage on a day that I had nothing else to do, and started swapping tires and tubes on my KLR. The first time you will be learning how to take your wheels on and off and redoing the chain tension. I did the front first (its easier I think) and had no issues once I figured out how to get the tire on and off. I then did the rear. I pulled the rear, swapped tires and couldn't get it to inflate. Put a hole in the tube with a tire iron. Went to Cyclegear, got ONE tube. Went home and promptly put a hole in that tube. However, the leak was slow enough that I had got it back on the bike and chain tight when I realized it was losing air. Went back to Cyclegear and bought the last remaining tube they had in the size I needed. At this point, I'm peeved and in a hurry. I furiously speed the tire on and off and put another hole in that tube. I contemplated setting the garage on fire at this point. It had been a long time since I've been that pissed in the garage. Went to Walmart and bought a patch kit and used that and carefully put the tire back on. The following week I got my tubes in I had ordered, swapped to a new tube carefully with no issues.

Point is, you need to practice in the garage, so you know what you are doing if you have an unexpected flat. Good luck!

2011 F800GS Alpine White, 1998 KDX 200, 2000 KL250G Super Sherpa
DSJ's Shenanigans
dirtysouthjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:20 PM   #1012
PatrickM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Is there a link for the $75 Accelerator plugin?
PatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #1013
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,557
Good question: When I bought mine, I got it straight from the manufacturer: http://www.sol2.be/Performance/ENG/Order/index_BMW.html

Since then North America got turned over to a vendor in South Africa? The short version, that works just as well, is not available from the vender and Mark won't sell here.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:37 PM   #1014
DoWorkSon
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Good question: When I bought mine, I got it straight from the manufacturer: http://www.sol2.be/Performance/ENG/Order/index_BMW.html

Since then North America got turned over to a vendor in South Africa? The short version, that works just as well, is not available from the vender and Mark won't sell here.
I ordered directly from that site a few weeks ago. It took about 2 weeks or so
Old 12-27-2012, 11:37 PM   #1015
DoWorkSon
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtysouthjacket View Post
What he said. It never really clicks, regardless of what you read, until you try to do it yourself. Also, before you even think about taking any tires off to practice, make sure you have PLENTY of extra tubes. Not just one!

I read these to start...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ht=neduro+tire

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/tire-changing-doc.html

Then I went out in the garage on a day that I had nothing else to do, and started swapping tires and tubes on my KLR. The first time you will be learning how to take your wheels on and off and redoing the chain tension. I did the front first (its easier I think) and had no issues once I figured out how to get the tire on and off. I then did the rear. I pulled the rear, swapped tires and couldn't get it to inflate. Put a hole in the tube with a tire iron. Went to Cyclegear, got ONE tube. Went home and promptly put a hole in that tube. However, the leak was slow enough that I had got it back on the bike and chain tight when I realized it was losing air. Went back to Cyclegear and bought the last remaining tube they had in the size I needed. At this point, I'm peeved and in a hurry. I furiously speed the tire on and off and put another hole in that tube. I contemplated setting the garage on fire at this point. It had been a long time since I've been that pissed in the garage. Went to Walmart and bought a patch kit and used that and carefully put the tire back on. The following week I got my tubes in I had ordered, swapped to a new tube carefully with no issues.

Point is, you need to practice in the garage, so you know what you are doing if you have an unexpected flat. Good luck!
Thanks... I forsee some swearing and throwing of tools.. I know it's necessary to practice... Just dreading doing it
Old 12-28-2012, 07:54 AM   #1016
dirtysouthjacket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
Its not bad once you figure it out, no need to dread it. Just think about how much money you'll be saving and knowing that the job was done right. Good luck!

2011 F800GS Alpine White, 1998 KDX 200, 2000 KL250G Super Sherpa
DSJ's Shenanigans
dirtysouthjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:40 PM   #1017
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
I suggest using a piece of cut up tubing that you can put between your rim and tire when using irons unless you want to scuff up your rims. This method has worked much better than rim savers for me but it is user dependent I guess. Also talc up your tube. Some people say it doesn't matter but I have had issues in the past. If it is wet out just roll with it until you can do a proper fix.
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:41 PM   #1018
Vettel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
This is a damn good thread and I have read every page. Thank you all.
Vettel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:26 PM   #1019
SansSand
Dirty Smile

Oddometer: 52
Best hand guards for 2012 f650

What is the best hand guards for 2012 f650 and a person who will most likely fall a lot...on rocks
Old 12-30-2012, 09:43 PM   #1020
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by SansSand View Post
What is the best hand guards for 2012 f650 and a person who will most likely fall a lot...on rocks
I have bounced my barkbusters off of hundreds of rocks, LOTS of hard drops.

My wife bent her Bars before she bent the barkbusters too bad.

I have had to take them off a couple times and straingeten them out with a big hammer.

I have talked to sombody who aledgedly broke a set of barkbusters, but I have beat the tar out of mine.

If I were to get another pair, I would get Highway Dirtbikes, aka HDB. They are built wayyy tougher than the barkbusters.

My .02

Ryan