Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #1066
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 665
Has there been much study to see if one can get more fuel in the tank while on the sidestand vs centerstand?

What range are you getting on a tank ? Noted,riding styles/tires/conditions, etc. effect mileage, just looking for approximate no.s Thanks all.
Shooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #1067
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Oddometer: 2,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by moe.ron View Post
No F700GS? Useless...
Oh boy. Just add 50 to the recommended intervals. Must I explain EVERYTHING?

Old 01-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #1068
Karasu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Wheeeeeee!

Well thanks for the advice guys!! I'm now a proud owner of a 2009 F800GS US edition with 13k miles!!!!

Now for the next stupid question.

I'm still under warranty (by a week or so) and the fine people at BMW are swapping out my cracked tank. I believe they are replacing it with a Euro/Canadian tank. Does that mean I lose the charcoal canister and the problems that go with it?

Glad to join the club!!
Karasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #1069
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karasu View Post
I'm still under warranty (by a week or so) and the fine people at BMW are swapping out my cracked tank. I believe they are replacing it with a Euro/Canadian tank. Does that mean I lose the charcoal canister and the problems that go with it?

Congrats! The tanks are all the same and the cannister is an addition to it. Get rid of that thing by any means possible! Any time we got an American bike in that was running bad we'd throw that thing as far as we could. Most times it fixed the problem.

If it's at the Dealer anyway, program the trip computer to read metric values if you want. It'll still read miles on the odo but temp will be in C and computer in L/100 KM if you care about such things.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:10 AM   #1070
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dork Vader View Post
Has there been much study to see if one can get more fuel in the tank while on the sidestand vs centerstand?

What range are you getting on a tank ? Noted,riding styles/tires/conditions, etc. effect mileage, just looking for approximate no.s Thanks all.
Overfilling the tank can cause problems with the cannister. The small amount you gain isn't worth the risk. Check out the post right after yours about the cannister.

It is impossible to tell what kind of fuel mileage you will get because it all depends on riding style. Rather that ask others just check your own. Check it everytime you ride and compare that to what the computer says. Then you will get a pretty good idea of mileage and how accurate the computer is. Then figure range based on your mileage times 4 gals. Don't count the .2 gals. Use that just in case.

I have found my mileage has varried from a low of 48 to a high of 68 mpg. I usually run in the low 50's for most type of riding.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:51 PM   #1071
MiguelVR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Question Hand numbness

Hi
So if this is the stupid questions thread, here is one: After 20 minutes of riding my F650 twin, especially at higher speeds, my right hand starts to get very numb, dormant, to the point of sensitivity loss. Today at an highway exit, almost missed the breaking point due to the complete lack of feeling in the hand.
Usually moving my fingers does give back some sensitivity to the hand, but then it losses again quickly. I've bought a throttle rocker and it does help, but not completely. This only happens to my right hand, not the left one. I understand that the vibration at higher speeds stresses the problem.
So really the question(s) is, does this happens to you guys also? What should I do to prevent this? Padded glove? Riding slower?
Thanks.
MiguelVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:27 PM   #1072
3Rrr
Read Ride Reflect recycle

Oddometer: 168
Numb hands - loosen up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiguelVR View Post
Hi
So if this is the stupid questions thread, here is one: After 20 minutes of riding my F650 twin, especially at higher speeds, my right hand starts to get very numb, dormant, to the point of sensitivity loss. Today at an highway exit, almost missed the breaking point due to the complete lack of feeling in the hand.
Usually moving my fingers does give back some sensitivity to the hand, but then it losses again quickly. I've bought a throttle rocker and it does help, but not completely. This only happens to my right hand, not the left one. I understand that the vibration at higher speeds stresses the problem.
So really the question(s) is, does this happens to you guys also? What should I do to prevent this? Padded glove? Riding slower?
Thanks.
Make sure that you are keeping a loose grip on the throttle, and relax the shoulders and arms. I run a throttle rocker when on the Interstate and often will just wiggle my fingers to keep the blood flowing - while using the pad of my hand on the rocker to maintain speed.

Try rolling the bars to a different position.

I run the ProGrip gel grips on all of my motorcycles.
03 TTR 225
89 Kat GSX600F
3Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:43 PM   #1073
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiguelVR View Post
Thanks.
I find that some riders (I used to) grip the throttle too tight. I use a throttle lock (Kaoko) so I can relax my grip on long rides or even let go and shake it out. I always wear gloves also. The grips are pretty skinny and hard. Might try a different type of covering like 3Rrr or is it "Beemer Buddies?" The foam covering for the grips. Yes, Google that or check the threads here.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:14 PM   #1074
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Getting medical here, your body mechanics could be putting pressure on your nerves, do you have carpal tunnel, arthritis, or any other medical condition in your hand/wrist/arm? It is fairly common for these issues to occur with individuals who have something going on. Add the stress of holding a handlebar and poof you overstimulated your nerve and lost feeling. Try and find something similar to the width (broom handle, piece of pipe) and put your glove on then hold it like you hold your handlebars, see if that elicits the same response. Then try positions (motorcycle position with arms up), and see how that goes. Your hands have three primary innervations and it is hard to get them all at once without something putting undue pressure somewhere. Have you had shoulder surgery? Fractured clavicle? Latisissmus issues?
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:39 PM   #1075
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin4melife View Post
Getting medical here, your body mechanics could be putting pressure on your nerves, do you have carpal tunnel, arthritis, or any other medical condition in your hand/wrist/arm? It is fairly common for these issues to occur with individuals who have something going on. Add the stress of holding a handlebar and poof you overstimulated your nerve and lost feeling. Try and find something similar to the width (broom handle, piece of pipe) and put your glove on then hold it like you hold your handlebars, see if that elicits the same response. Then try positions (motorcycle position with arms up), and see how that goes. Your hands have three primary innervations and it is hard to get them all at once without something putting undue pressure somewhere. Have you had shoulder surgery? Fractured clavicle? Latisissmus issues?

Great.. It's a Stupid Question thread and you go and smarten it up with all your big words.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:16 PM   #1076
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,411
Could be they vibrate like a tuning fork. First thing I noticed was the high frequency vibes. Different than my other 800cc vertical twin (TDM850).

I put some bar cozies on it. Buy some cushioned grips, look for some padded gloves. Don't grip it so tight. Don't ride it so fast or if you have too, put the 658 sprocket on it. Maybe these will fit.http://www.vibranator.com/

itsatdm screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 06:22 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:39 PM   #1077
MiguelVR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Hey guys, many thanks for the input. Probably you're all right: I do grip tight the throttle, the grips are indeed hard.
Today I made an effort to have a more relaxed and less tense posture on the bike. It did work better. Not perfect, but postponed the numbness a bit. Can improve the position also. I think also a glove change is in order. I use all year, thin leather gloves. Think its time to change my Eska gloves.

Quote:
I run the ProGrip gel grips on all of my motorcycles.
Any sugestion? There are so many varieties. Touring and paved road is 90% my riding (ok let's say 95%).

Quote:
I do understand your point. I did have, 6 years ago a tendinitis in my right hand, in the thumb/wrist area. I cured that and it gave me no problems since. Now that I think it better, the numbness does start on the thumb and the forefinger and then the whole hand.

Quote:
Could be they vibrate like a tuning fork
Errr...spot on!
MiguelVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #1078
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,264
I have 100k on a 1200 GS and 36k miles on my 800. I find that numb hands can vary with where you get gas. Pay attention to that and you will see some stations gas sits in the tanks longer or something. I went over to www.aerostich.com and bought a "throttle rocker" Its just a flat thing that you attach to your throttle and you can put some weight on it with your palm of your hand rather than your fingers. That solved my numb hands problem. It only costs a couple of bucks. Dave
Old 02-03-2013, 11:01 AM   #1079
Stevius
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Does the orginal visor from F650GS fit the F800GS?
Stevius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #1080
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevius View Post
Does the orginal visor from F650GS fit the F800GS?
visor?

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote