Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 03:43 PM   #1126
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlikesbikes View Post
Another one. sometimes when I am shifting at a light I will try to shift and it will show no gear and it takes a second before it will let me shift down again. I am guessing this is more operator error than anything else, right? It reminds me to downshift as a stop and not just top in 6th and click down.
You can get around the downshifting issue when stopped by gently releasing the clutch just to its grab point when it stops playing ball, then you will be able to continue downshifting. Every bike I've had (Hondas/BMWs) has done this.

Blog: Blogspot **SO NEW IT STINKS!** Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #1127
duffs
It's been useful

Quote:
Yeah I have mostly hwy miles under my belt so far, all with a 6'2 rider and jesse cases on the sides, so not expecting 100MPG averages. Just trying to get a feel for it. I do think the last couple of trips to the gas station I could have put a lot more in than I did, the auto-cut off was cutting me off.
My fuel light used to come on at 2-3 skinny bars on the gauge and I could squeeze in 10-11 litres at most into the 16 litre tank but since my 6,000 mile service in February (where they ran a software update) it now takes 12-13 litres when the light comes on (consistently now at 1 skinny bar). Not a huge difference but now consistent with BMW's specs (4 litre reserve) and the gauge goes down more evenly now, where it used to stay on full forever and then chew threw the skinny bars in 25 miles.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:03 PM   #1128
duffs
It's been useful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Reb View Post
Hi, Everyone,

This is my first post on the entire forum. I have a question about seat height on the G-650-GS.

About me: I'm 5'7", and I will take the MSF Basic Rider Course in early April 2013. Right now, I am researching bikes, and BMW has caught my interest. When I'm on a still G-650-GS (or any other bike for that matter), should my feet be flat on the ground? I sat on a G-650 in a dealer's showroom this past weekend, and I could only get my toes and the balls of my feet on the ground. That made me uncomfortable; I don't like to be on my toes on bicycles. The salesman said that was okay, but, hey, he's a salesman...I'll trust him to a point.

So, do my feet need to be flat on the ground when the bike is standing still?

This must be the noob-iest question of all time, but I gotta start somewhere and I trust the forum.

-JR
I'm 5'9 with a long torso and short-arse legs and ride an F800GS. With loaded panniers riding 2-up I can touch the ground with my toes on both legs at the same time - the rest of the time, my toes on one side at a time. On the second day after taking delivery of the bike, I stalled it with the wheel turned nearly fully to the left while filtering between two cars stopped at a traffic light. I almost pulled a muscle keeping the bike from going over onto the front of someone's Audi, and thought to myself, what had I got myself into buying such a tall bike.

6,000 miles and 11 months on, I don't give it a second thought, the suspension geometry on the GS range means you can keep both feet off the ground until you are virtually stopped so with a little bit of forethought in traffic you don't need the landing gear as much as you'd think. And when stopped, the bike is so well balanced side-to-side you don't need more than a toe to keep it upright anyway.

I've come off a couple times on muddy trails and the advantage of the height is that you can sort of step off as the bike goes over, to date I've always ended up standing next to the bike feeling slightly bemused...

Old 03-12-2013, 04:53 PM   #1129
4TooMany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Another one. sometimes when I am shifting at a light I will try to shift and it will show no gear and it takes a second before it will let me shift down again. I am guessing this is more operator error than anything else, right? It reminds me to downshift as a stop and not just top in 6th and click down.
I'm not completely clear what you're saying, but you should be downshifting as you slow down. By the time you come to a stop, you should already be back in first gear.
4TooMany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #1130
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,443
Quote:

If you let the clutch out just slightly between shifts when you are kicking it down through gears at a standstill you can avoid this problem.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #1131
Johnny Reb
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffs View Post
I'm 5'9 with a long torso and short-arse legs and ride an F800GS. With loaded panniers riding 2-up I can touch the ground with my toes on both legs at the same time - the rest of the time, my toes on one side at a time. On the second day after taking delivery of the bike, I stalled it with the wheel turned nearly fully to the left while filtering between two cars stopped at a traffic light. I almost pulled a muscle keeping the bike from going over onto the front of someone's Audi, and thought to myself, what had I got myself into buying such a tall bike.

6,000 miles and 11 months on, I don't give it a second thought, the suspension geometry on the GS range means you can keep both feet off the ground until you are virtually stopped so with a little bit of forethought in traffic you don't need the landing gear as much as you'd think. And when stopped, the bike is so well balanced side-to-side you don't need more than a toe to keep it upright anyway.

I've come off a couple times on muddy trails and the advantage of the height is that you can sort of step off as the bike goes over, to date I've always ended up standing next to the bike feeling slightly bemused...
Thank you! This helps!
Johnny Reb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:31 PM   #1132
Johnny Reb
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffs View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl_Biker View Post
Huh? You must have some whopping big running shoes!

Anyway, regarding heights, I just got my first GS and ordered the factory-lowered suspension model of the 2013 F800GS, and even so, sitting on the bike (with motorcycle boots on) on flat ground I cannot flat foot it. I am a little concerned about that and hope that I'll be able to get used to it.

On my K1300GT I CAN flat foot it on level ground, but I've got to tell you that the road's not always flat and you cannot always control where you have to stop, especially if riding in city traffic. There are plenty of slanted roads, dips and even potholes (heck, we've got some potholes that could swallow a VW Beetle!) and there have been MANY times when I stopped with that bike that I was only able to touch with the tiptoes of one foot.

So my strong advice to you, especially regarding a first bike, is to start with something you can comfortably reach the ground with, flat footing on level ground, while wearing appropriate riding boots. Even then you're going to drop the bike, and probably more than once.

The 650 you sat on in the showroom, was the bike on the center stand when you did that? If so, the bike will be lower when it's properly on the ground. You could also investigate getting a lower seat (and/or lowered suspension).

I think the 650GS is a terrific bike and if you start with that you may end up loving it so much that you'll never want to get rid of it.

Cheers!
Thank you! This helps. The bike I sat on had a center stand, but I took it off that before I sat on it. So, I just have to accept that the bike will feel a bit tall and that I WILL drop it...MORE than once...otherwise, it should be a good fit based on what everyone is telling me.

Thanks again!
Old 03-12-2013, 07:33 PM   #1133
Johnny Reb
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieO View Post
The only bike I have EVER been able to touch with both feet is my Trials bike!!

As a beginner, you will feel more confident touching with both feet, but as your experience grows it won't be as much of an issue.

5'7" with a 27" inseam. I can barely touch with one foot.

Remember that touching with running shoes in the showroom is much easier than touching with motorcycle boots.......

Thank you!
Old 03-12-2013, 07:36 PM   #1134
Johnny Reb
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
I don't remember the last time I was flat footed on my bikes.

No, you don't need to be but should you be?....sounds like in your case. If you're buying a shiny new bike and are a relatively new rider then being flat footed will give you more confidence. If the Dealer was worth anything he would have put the "low" seat on it for you. My GF started out with the low seat on both her bikes before graduating to the standard seat. The low seat is low because they remove half the foam making it more uncomfortable on a long journey. That's why I don't use one. I accept the fact that I will dump it one day from it being too tall for me.

You can also get a lowered bike with a standard seat.

Good Luck.
Excellent perspective. Thank you!
Old 03-13-2013, 01:24 PM   #1135
duffs
It's been useful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Reb View Post
Thank you! This helps!
Not the best angle but the bike's seat is about level with my waist... and for the record I don't normally wear an open faced helmet!

Old 03-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #1136
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
Inner tube

I have searching and reading all day try to find a proper size inner tube for my 800GS.......The more I read the more confuse I get
Can someone point me to the right direction? Thanks in advance.
Brand......size where to get.

ADV
Scubalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:18 PM   #1137
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubalong View Post
I have searching and reading all day try to find a proper size inner tube for my 800GS.......The more I read the more confuse I get

ADV
I always just give em the tire speck off the tire and they hand me a tube. For for F800 Front 90/90 - 21, Rear 150/70 - 17.

For your info my tubes say the same thing but do have some other numbers in addition since they will fit several other spec tires in addition. Dave
Old 03-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #1138
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
Thanks checker

I know the size of the tires trying to order the tube 0nline is chalenging.....I will email the store for details.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckerdD View Post
I always just give em the tire speck off the tire and they hand me a tube. For for F800 Front 90/90 - 21, Rear 150/70 - 17.

For your info my tubes say the same thing but do have some other numbers in addition since they will fit several other spec tires in addition. Dave
Scubalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:50 PM   #1139
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubalong View Post

ADV
The tubes are usually listed in metric. The size for the front wheel is 3.00/3.25 The rear wheel is 4.50/5.10
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:36 PM   #1140
rockyse103
road warrior

Chain questions

My new to me 2010 F800GS has 20,000kms on it. I want to carry a spare master link or two and a bit of chain if needed. My question is should I get a clip type for emergency roadside repair or rivet type. Also do I have to buy a whole replacement chain? I just want to carry a short piece .
Any recommendations for a chain tool?

My apologies if this has been answered elsewhere but I did search b4 posting this

Thanks
rockyse103 is offline   Reply With Quote