User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 01:43 PM   #1141
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,376
Well the chain would really be the very last thing I'd worry about
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #1142
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
Loutre: Cut that out .........

Rocky:
Seriously .... I'm w/ Loutre ... I don't think I'd worry with it...........
Master link dimensions are not standardized across brands of chain
(even of the same nominal size) and you're unlikely to find one that will fit the OEM chain, then you'd need a chain breaker to fit it anyway....
Lube it often, and inspect for wear & cracked side plates and let 'er rip!
JRWooden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #1143
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
I'd agree. chains are pretty reliable and if you take the time to inspect them when you lube them...you will likely see where and O ring has failed and watch where the wear will accelerate rapidly..in my case a couple ot thousand mile..but I lubed the failed spot daily.

Plenty of time to get a new chain

the exception if you some how get a stone or tree in it and break it

evan then in addition to the section of chain you will need a GOOD tool to press out the rivet heads so a master ling will fit in
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #1144
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyse103 View Post
My new to me 2010 F800GS has 20,000kms on it. I want to carry a spare master link or two and a bit of chain if needed. My question is should I get a clip type for emergency roadside repair or rivet type. Also do I have to buy a whole replacement chain? I just want to carry a short piece .
Any recommendations for a chain tool?

My apologies if this has been answered elsewhere but I did search b4 posting this

Thanks
Well, the previous answers given by the most experienced studly adventurers above have merit, but don't really answer your question.

The rumours about the BMW chains breaking were true however they no longer apply. Your 2010 is well beyond the applicability so the better chain will have been installed on yours. Yes, my original chain did break.

I carry a clip type master link as a spare. Real small and takes up no space really. The chain size is 525 which isn't as popular as the 520/530 chains commonly used on bikes. Should you break your chain and the rest of the bike survives unscathed, a local farmer could grind off a link and then use your hen's tooth 525 link to fix it. In my experience, clip type links are temporary fixes cause the clip isn't really a team player and will f off given a chance. Ask a local bike shop for an old chain or wait till yours wears out to get your spare links. It's not high on the "what if" list. Flats and running out of gas are much further up. If you read the posts here you'll be carrying a spare fuel pump, stator, wheel bearings, rear shock bolts, maybe a clutch and in your spare time, trying to find cracks in your tank. Just ride it.

C-Stain just bought the same bike and is near you. He might need a friend. NS, NB are awesome places to ride.
Enjoy.

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #1145
machinebuilder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
Quote:
Flats and running out of gas are much further up. If you read the posts here you'll be carrying a spare fuel pump, stator, wheel bearings, rear shock bolts, maybe a clutch and in your spare time, trying to find cracks in your tank. Just ride it.

A voice of reason........I don't ride as much as some of the inmates,

In 15,000 mi, I've worn out tires, change the oil twice and clean and lube the chain sporadicly, usually when it starts getting noisy.

I tend to ride alone, its my way to escape. I ride in some fairly untraveled areas. I try not to worry about the bike. I hope I can realize something is starting to fail before it does. I'm more concerned about ME screwing up and breaking something than the bike.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #1146
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 525
this is an ADVENTURE motorcycle site, lots of studly and Knarly riders here

Just get on the bike and ride....enjoy.

In the unlikely event something goes wrong..deal with it duct tape and baling wire,,,remember it's an adventure.

or you could be a worry wart and carry every part and every tool, extra tires, gas, bandaids etc etc so the bike drives like a pig!!

have fun!!
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:59 PM   #1147
UpST8
turnin gas to noise

Oddometer: 6,991
Here is a question that I should know before shelling out all the clams for a F800....have all the problems I read about...bent shock bolts, cracked fuel tanks, weak taco rims and terrible forks been addressed and fixed by BMW with the 2013 bikes??

I already dinged my front rim and I am thinking I should check my shock mount now after surfing here a bit.

cRAzY
UpST8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #1148
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpST8 View Post
Here is a question that I should know before shelling out all the clams for a F800....have all the problems I read about...bent shock bolts, cracked fuel tanks, weak taco rims and terrible forks been addressed and fixed by BMW with the 2013 bikes??

I already dinged my front rim and I am thinking I should check my shock mount now after surfing here a bit.
Have you ever heard the expression, "don't believe everything you read in the paper"? I have 38k miles and the only thing you mention that happened to me is I bent a rim when I hit a rock going about 60 mph in South America. When I got home I shipped the wheel to Seattle and got a Sun Rim. I have been on Mc's since 1972 and BMW's for about 25 years. The F800 is one of the most defect free bikes I have owned. If you play really hard things break, but you have to really work at it to do it. Or put another way if you don't occasionally break something, are you really having fun? Dave
Old 03-18-2013, 10:27 PM   #1149
UpST8
turnin gas to noise

Oddometer: 6,991
Thanks Dave! I had the bike for 3k miles in 3 months and bent the rim Sunday I am having a blast!!

cRAzY
UpST8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:43 AM   #1150
Reaver
Outta Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpST8 View Post
Thanks Dave! I had the bike for 3k miles in 3 months and bent the rim Sunday I am having a blast!!
My front rim was removed, unbent, trued and has been running fine for 2 years. Winter, coffee table, tv and a few beverages. It's how we stay connected during the snow season. Don't air down so much and remember it aint a motocross. One size don't fit all.

I regret buying the spare stock rims now. Immaculate hoops a paranoid rider replaced before spontaneous catastrophic failure. Bike never seen the dirt. 600 kms........

Old 03-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #1151
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyse103 View Post
My new to me 2010 F800GS has 20,000kms on it. I want to carry a spare master link or two and a bit of chain if needed. My question is should I get a clip type for emergency roadside repair or rivet type. Also do I have to buy a whole replacement chain? I just want to carry a short piece .

Any recommendations for a chain tool?

Thanks
Rockyse103.....if you want to carry a spare master link (clip-style) for emergency purposes, this is a good idea. I do the very same thing (for all my bikes). Buy a high quality X-ring chain in 525 size with "rivet master link". Plus a matching brand clip-style master link to put into your emergency spares pack. Keep a spare rivet link on hand too.....no valid reason not to. The F800 is a big horsepower bike, so I strongly recommend using a rivet-style master link as your primary connection.

Suggest you purchase a Motion Pro or Stockton chain rivet toolkit. These are affordable and quite handy. I have two sets....keeping one in the garage in its hard case, and the other on the bike with the tools wrapped up in a small, soft-sided nylon zipper bag. If you ever have a chain problem on the trail, you will probably need the link press tools to do the job properly.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #1152
marsch52
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Which oil to use? API SF to SH or Castrol Syntec BMW Longlife grade?

I have been looking here and cant find the answer, so if it is elsewhere, please let me know. Here is the thing. I change the oil in my car on a very regular basis using Castrol Synthetic. Now I have my 2012 F650GS I want to know what oil to use. According to the manual and I quote : API SF to SH 10w-40 or 15W40 weight, which is way below the stuff I use for my 328. So... please let me know your thoughts as to whether or not I need to use "motorcycle" oil or not. Don't mean to start a flame war. Just want to be educated. Thanx

marsch52 screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 02:02 PM Reason: Spell checking
marsch52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #1153
Reaver
Outta Here

Oil Thread

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Old 03-27-2013, 02:05 PM   #1154
marsch52
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Ok....

Quote:
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

No = I dont need to use motorcycle oil
or
No = I must use motorcycle oil

Old 03-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #1155
Reaver
Outta Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsch52 View Post
No = I must use motorcycle oil
You MUST use motorcycle oil because of your wet clutch.

Did you find this thread?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=483728

"What Oil?'' is a touchy subject with 10 000 opinions. I buy a case from the BMW Dealer and I'm done.

YMMV

No offence intended!