Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 04:56 PM   #1156
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsch52 View Post
I have been looking here and cant find the answer, so if it is elsewhere, please let me know. Here is the thing. I change the oil in my car on a very regular basis using Castrol Synthetic. Now I have my 2012 F650GS I want to know what oil to use. According to the manual and I quote : API SF to SH 10w-40 or 15W40 weight, which is way below the stuff I use for my 328. So... please let me know your thoughts as to whether or not I need to use "motorcycle" oil or not. Don't mean to start a flame war. Just want to be educated. Thanx
If you have lots of money, go to your dealer and buy motorcycle oil. If you don't have lots of money, go to Walmart and by Rotella. Your bike won't know the difference.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #1157
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,455
:nort on:photo g

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #1158
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Oddometer: 2,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorebutt View Post
If you have lots of money, go to your dealer and buy motorcycle oil. If you don't have lots of money, go to Walmart and by Rotella. Your bike won't know the difference.
Maybe I'll go to Walmart then, I'm not rich.

Hey! Another excuse to see the fat chics in spandex!!!
Old 03-27-2013, 06:37 PM   #1159
SharkyElMasry
n00b

Oddometer: 2
stupid question

Hello Everyone,

This is a stupid question so I guess this is the right place for it .
I just bought a new BMW f800gs. This is my first new bike as opposed to my other bikes that were all used, so I didn't really know how to break in the motor.
My BMW dealer just told not rev the engine more than 5000rpm for 1000km/620miles (until the first service). And he told that I can travel with it. So for the first 350km/220 miles, I respected that and always kept shifting between gears.
Until things got boring and I stupidly drove the remaining distance in one day on highways mostly.
Later, when reading the operator manual, it was clearly stated that I should avoid highways and driving at constant speeds.
So my question, did I screw up the engine? Is it bad? or can I still fix this, I now have 1200km/750miles on it?
Thanks
SharkyElMasry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #1160
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
Forget all about it and you'll be just fine. Really isn't a huge deal.
epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:23 PM   #1161
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkyElMasry View Post
Hello Everyone,

This is a stupid question so I guess this is the right place for it .
I just bought a new BMW f800gs. This is my first new bike as opposed to my other bikes that were all used, so I didn't really know how to break in the motor.
My BMW dealer just told not rev the engine more than 5000rpm for 1000km/620miles (until the first service). And he told that I can travel with it. So for the first 350km/220 miles, I respected that and always kept shifting between gears.
Until things got boring and I stupidly drove the remaining distance in one day on highways mostly.
Later, when reading the operator manual, it was clearly stated that I should avoid highways and driving at constant speeds.
So my question, did I screw up the engine? Is it bad? or can I still fix this, I now have 1200km/750miles on it?
Thanks
Mainly two things you break in, when breaking in a motor. One is the piston rings, and wear pattern on the pistons..... Second is the rest of the engine... like gear mesh..... bearings.... etc. The rings are broken in with perhaps 10 power pulls in the high gear from 2000- to the limiter.... if you dare... That is the important one. If you dont, the rings will not seat correctly, and you will see anything from nothing, to a bit of an oil consumption. The rest gets broken in over the next 1-3000 miles. The second one will break in regardless of how you drive. The fun thing is that if you are in doubt of the rings break in..... you can just do it later, and you will be ok.... So find a open road.... perhaps in 4th gear so as not to pi$$ off the cops.... start at 2000 rpm...... then wot until 6-7000 rpms.......let go of the throttle..... sop idle for a few seconds.... then repeat 10 times...... your done.... The rest will follow with more miles under the belt. Welcome to the party...

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:49 AM   #1162
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkyElMasry View Post
Oh I sooo wanted to toy with you when you first posted this. Give you "The sky is falling!" lecture. It's fun making people cry but does nothing for popularity.

The break in procedure is a best case scenario. Kinda like the speed limit is just a suggestion. You keep it in mind but stray from it from time to time with no harm done. Most new cars don't have a requirement anymore due to modern technologies and materials. I suspect the bikes are the same with the Nikasil coated cylinders etc. but old habits die hard.

In any case, if the engines were so fragile then they'd be blowing up everywhere. Many riders buy their bikes from a distant Dealer and ride the highway for hours to get home. No biggie. One guy, being more paranoid, picked up his new bike in the morning, rode all day and into the night for break in, got the first service done the next morning then rode way up north to get home.

Relax and enjoy the freedom and scenery grasshoppa!
Old 03-28-2013, 11:41 AM   #1163
marsch52
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
You MUST use motorcycle oil because of your wet clutch.

Did you find this thread?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=483728

"What Oil?'' is a touchy subject with 10 000 opinions. I buy a case from the BMW Dealer and I'm done.

YMMV

No offence intended!
Hey I appreciate the opinion. For me and my cars, had a 5 series with 400,000kms on it and it had a steady diet of 15w40 DIESEL oil and never used anything beyond normal. I was just getting lost in the "wet clutch" rat hole :) :) So I will just buy a case from the dealer, along with their filters and that should alleviate any warranty issues. Already have 8200kms on the bike and love it And now my cars get the 10w40 Castrol Syntec diet. All high milers and running just fine.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #1164
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Quote:
Hey I appreciate the opinion. I was just getting lost in the "wet clutch" rat hole :) :) So I will just buy a case from the dealer, along with their filters and that should alleviate any warranty issues.
No prob.

Warranty in Canada is not really a problem with our laws and such. You can do your own service or take it wherever you want. Just keep the receipts. They have to prove negligence to deny a claim. We had one guy with a K1300S that he trailered in one day. He was white as a ghost. He had a "sudden loss of oil and a flat rear tire" in less than 5 secs. The oil had escaped through a large hole in the crankcase just below where the number 4 connecting rod used to be. The missing engine chunk was inside the tire. He eventually found the con rod in the tall grass as he walked off the experience. Imagine doing 120 kmh then having to deal with a loud bang and an oil covered rear tire that was rapidly going flat. Never dropped it either. BMW was so embarassed they replaced the engine no questions asked. I thought he would get a new bike but no. Did get a loaner though. Imagine the claim if he got hurt. There were no error codes and the rev limiter should have prevented excess engine speed so it must've been a bad rod.

Ride safe!
Old 03-28-2013, 12:44 PM   #1165
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 503
[QUOTE=SharkyElMasry;21050403]Hello Everyone,

Thanks[/QUOT

No You will be just fine

RIDE AND ENJOY THE BIKE

above all don't pay to much attention to this blog!!
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #1166
Trailblazin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
You MUST use motorcycle oil because of your wet clutch.

Did you find this thread?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=483728

"What Oil?'' is a touchy subject with 10 000 opinions. I buy a case from the BMW Dealer and I'm done.

YMMV

No offence intended!
I've put about 300 miles on my bike with regular oil... is this something that is going to permanently damage my bike? I plan on changing it to motorcycle oil today.

Also, since my oil filter is new w/ only 300 miles should I replace it today when switchin out the oil to motorcycle 10w40?
Trailblazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #1167
marsch52
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailblazin View Post
I've put about 300 miles on my bike with regular oil... is this something that is going to permanently damage my bike? I plan on changing it to motorcycle oil today.

Also, since my oil filter is new w/ only 300 miles should I replace it today when switchin out the oil to motorcycle 10w40?
For what it is worth, in my cars I always change the filter when I change the oil and always use the dealer's filter, so no warranty issue. On my 328 xDrive, I change filter every 5000kms and oil and filter every 10,000kms. May seem like a lot of filters, oil....but it has worked for me over a long time of ownership. So I plan to change my filter on the bike in the spring and end of fall and oil depending on mileage, but at least once a year.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #1168
Mtl_Biker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Is that correct or did you get it mixed up? You change the FILTER (and not the oil) every 5000kms? I would have thought you'd change the OIL that often and both the filter and oil at 10k.

Quote:
I change filter every 5000kms and oil and filter every 10,000kms.
#6 2011 BMW K1300GT (sold)
#7 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 (sold)
#8 2013 BMW F800GS Kalamata Metallic
Mtl_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #1169
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailblazin View Post

Aside from possibly shorter clutch life? No. I wouldn't get all in a tizzy about it :)
epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:29 PM   #1170
SharkyElMasry
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Oh I sooo wanted to toy with you when you first posted this. Give you "The sky is falling!" lecture. It's fun making people cry but does nothing for popularity.
!
I totally deserved it , I was almost sure someone was going to do it.
Thanks for taking it easy on me

It's just that all the people I have asked told me that how you break in the motor pretty much determines it's age, which I don't believe by the way but it seems to be a comme belief. And for my motorcycle's sake I hope it's wrong

Anyway, thanks everyone for reassuring me.
Cheers
SharkyElMasry is offline   Reply With Quote