Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 05:16 PM   #1171
dirtysouthjacket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
What is the best way to carry Techron on your bike to the gas station? Yes that is a 2.5oz breast milk bottle velcro'd to the crash bar.

This stupid question is 65% serious.

2011 F800GS Alpine White, 1998 KDX 200, 2000 KL250G Super Sherpa
DSJ's Shenanigans
dirtysouthjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:31 AM   #1172
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,110
I've got a long trip planned for this summer and have been thinking about the same thing ....................

I think I'm going to go with the "document tube" / "tool tube" approach...
The medium sized tube is just the right size for an MSR fuel bottle to slide into I think.............

Wondering if I can get too short bottles in one tube -- one for oil & one for techron...

Just a thought...
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:43 AM   #1173
dirtysouthjacket
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
I've got a long trip planned for this summer and have been thinking about the same thing ....................

I think I'm going to go with the "document tube" / "tool tube" approach...
The medium sized tube is just the right size for an MSR fuel bottle to slide into I think.............

Wondering if I can get too short bottles in one tube -- one for oil & one for techron...

Just a thought...
Are you thinking about mounting it opposite the exhaust?

DSJ's Shenanigans
Old 03-29-2013, 05:53 AM   #1174
Mtl_Biker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
That's a few times now I've seen mention here of "Techron" and I just did a Google search to find out about it.

Is that something you folks in the States use because of the high Ethanol content in your gasoline?

Techron is not something we ever hear about here in Canada (the land where the men are men, and often have gas :) ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
#6 2011 BMW K1300GT (sold)
#7 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 (sold)
#8 2013 BMW F800GS Kalamata Metallic
Mtl_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:05 AM   #1175
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtysouthjacket View Post
What is the best way to carry Techron on your bike to the gas station? Yes that is a 2.5oz breast milk bottle velcro'd to the crash bar.

This stupid question is 65% serious.

Haha in the original bottle maybe?
epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:22 AM   #1176
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Oddometer: 2,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl_Biker View Post
That's a few times now I've seen mention here of "Techron" and I just did a Google search to find out about it.

Is that something you folks in the States use because of the high Ethanol content in your gasoline?

Techron is not something we ever hear about here in Canada (the land where the men are men, and often have gas :) ).

Yes. Don't worry about it eh. Canadians pay twice as much for good quality gas that doesn't wreck our fuel systems. I think Petro Canada had some dumb commercial about having techron added to the fuel. That's snake oil to us. Maybe that's why their gas is always a bit more?
Old 03-29-2013, 08:01 AM   #1177
bmwroadsterca
RadioFlyer

Oddometer: 110
BMW Snake Oil

If Techron is snake oil then it is BMW-endorsed snake oil because they sell it in a BMW bottle and recommend that it be used regularly in BMW cars. Having read the recommendation I can't recall anything that would not apply equally to bikes. I have seen it on the shelves at BMW motorcycle dealerships. Just sayin'.......

mike
bmwroadsterca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:16 AM   #1178
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
There have been posts from time to time about relatively high incidence of fuel injector problems on F800 in the US. Techron is a fuel system cleaner specifically designed to counter possible ethanol related problems. I notice my two GS's are a bit less buzzy if I dump a bit of Techron into the gas periodically, say once a month. I don't know why someone would call it snake oil because it does seem to work here where we have to put up with ethanol. I don't bother using it in either Mexico or Canada. I do notice the bike runs better in those countries where you can get 100% gas at the pump. Dave
Old 03-29-2013, 08:32 AM   #1179
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Oddometer: 2,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwroadsterca View Post
If Techron is snake oil then it is BMW-endorsed snake oil because they sell it in a BMW bottle and recommend that it be used regularly in BMW cars. Having read the recommendation I can't recall anything that would not apply equally to bikes. I have seen it on the shelves at BMW motorcycle dealerships. Just sayin'.......

mike
Yes, I see what you're saying. I said snake oil to "Us Canadians". I worked for Motorrad for 3 yrs and never heard of the stuff. Our gas doesn't wreck our pumps. Never seen a problem.

Techron is a legitimate proven product within it's marketplace. That typically isn't Canada, depending on where the gas comes from. Of course BMW recommends it. Wonder what the profit margin is? Only the best for your Bmw. Just as Doctors push the latest drugs on their patients.

I don't need purple pills or techron.

YMMV
Old 03-29-2013, 10:09 AM   #1180
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtysouthjacket View Post
Are you thinking about mounting it opposite the exhaust?
I have the vario side cases, and a Pelican top box....
I need to play around with it, but I think I have room to mount a pair of them under the outer edges of the top box ...

One for Techron & motor oil, one for an insulated tall-boy
Old 03-29-2013, 10:35 AM   #1181
bmwroadsterca
RadioFlyer

Oddometer: 110
Ethanol in Canada

The original concern was the potential negative effects of ethanol in gasoline. This is not a uniquely US issue. So without making any judgements about BMW's motives the facts are as follows as taken from the respective websites.

In Canada:

Shell gas may contain ethanol with the exception of their V-Power Premium (which is TOP TIER - see below).

Esso gas may contain ethanol in BC, SK, MB and ON.

Petro Canada states:
Ethanol-blended gasoline is a fuel that typically contains up to 10% ethanol in unleaded gasoline. We use ethanol in our gasoline where legislation requires its use and where conditions warrant. The Federal Government has regulated that motor gasoline sold in Canada after Sept. 1, 2010 must contain an annual pool average of 5% ethanol. Different provincial mandates also exist, some with higher ethanol pool requirements. Because of these mandates, most grades of Petro-Canada fuel may now contain up to 10% ethanol. This represents a change from the previous state, where premium fuel was ethanol-free at Petro-Canada. To find out if ethanol-blended gasoline is sold at a station look for the yellow labels in the pump area indicating that the fuel may contain a maximum of 10% ethanol.

BMW says:
What is Ethanol?
Ethanol is a type of alcohol which is combined with gasoline, primarily to reduce engine knock. In combustion, ethanol provides less energy than gasoline, resulting in reduced fuel economy. When ethanol burns inside the engine, it tends to form a weaker mixture that may cause misfire, rough idle and cold start issues in your vehicle. In addition, engine components may deteriorate overtime when in contact with ethanol.

Consequently, commercial gasoline is limited to a maximum of10% ethanol. As stated in your BMW Owner's Manual, fuels containing 10% or less ethanol will NOT void the applicable warranties covering defects in materials or workmanship.

and BMW also says

What gasoline does BMW recommend?
BMW recommends using TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline with a minimum octane rating of AKI 91. This gasoline also complies with the 10% orless ethanol requirement. It's a higher standard with enhanced fuel detergency that helps to avoid driveability problems.

and BMW says

Get better performance from a cleaner engine with BMW Group Fuel System Cleaner Plus.
If TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is unavailable in your area, how can you make sure your BMW gets the full amount of detergent it needs to burn cleanly and run smoothly? For optimum cleaning, use one bottle of BMW Group Fuel System Cleaner Plus every 3,000 miles when refueling. This will help keep your BMW's fuel injectors and intake valves clean, to get the most performance, fuel efficiency - and fun - from every mile.

So to summarize BMW recommends the use of Techron wherever TOP TIER rated gas is unavailable. Not all gas is TOP TIER rated in Canada.

mike
bmwroadsterca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:31 AM   #1182
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Techron is a Chevron product. It is included in all there gas. Other brands have different additives, many are Techron with a different name. Shell advertises their own additive in their gas.

My take is as long as you are using a brand name gas and not letting the bike sit for long periods there isn't a problem. I use Techron in my atv and motorcycles when I haven't ridden them for a while to help clean up the problems of ethanol.

You Canadians would have more ethanol if you could grow more corn.
It is really just another welfare program for farmers because studies show the energy cost of raising the corn and making ethanol is greater than the energy of the ethanol.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #1183
Manventure
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
JR. I put one under each Vario. Since I don't ever retract or expand them (leave them in the biggest size position) it wasn't a problem for me to get a few rubber washers and drill a couple holes. I got the manual holders from Tractor Supply or something like that and they hold a 33 oz. MSR bottle or if you are just doing an overnighter they each hold a nice big cold beer for the campfire :-)

Manventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:31 AM   #1184
dirtysouthjacket
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicxcrider View Post
Haha in the original bottle maybe?
Here are some of my thoughts based on a few previous posts.

First, we don't have Chevron in our area in SC. There is only one station that I have seen 30 mins E of Charlotte, a city I frequent a lot. Therefore I need to buy Techron from the store if I want to use it. Second, for our tank size, the amount needed is 2 oz. The bottle is 10 oz. The bottle has no real graduations on it to tell me how much you dump out. I've been using small sealable graduated breast milk bottles for carrying oil on my 2 stroke to the gas station to mix into fuel. I think that it works perfect for the Techron application. Third, I don't want to put the cases on the bike for a quick run to the store/gas station. I ride 75% of the time with the cases. Four, I don't think Techron is really that necessary when running 93 octane from BP or Shell, however, its fairly inexpensive every few tankfuls and once you work on diesel injectors and see the orifice sizes on the inlet side of the injector body, you will have more concern for the quality/cleanliness of your fuel.

So really, I'm looking for a 2 oz (or graduated) small container, and a method to mounting it to the bike that doesn't really require too much modifications or when not in use is not noticeable.

Anyways, not a big deal as I have a somewhat ok solution right now. Didn't know if anyone else had done something different besides throwing it in a case. JRWooden, I also have the same cases and have struggled with where to put a tube. I'l be interested to see how yours works! Good luck.

Now back to more stupid questions!

DSJ's Shenanigans
Old 03-30-2013, 03:58 PM   #1185
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Manventure :
Thanks for the idea on the tool tubes ... I do expand/contract mine, but maybe I could make it work anyway.... I'll see ...

Someone found some "bullet noses" that fit the canisters ... I think we need those...

DSJ:
I've toyed with using one of the sta-bil bottles for techron that has the integrated 2nd chamber that fills when you take the lid off and squeeze it?

Or using one or several of these ... US Plastic tells me the Fluorinated bottles are needed for petro chemical for leak proof storage:

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23477

It would be easy enough to take a sharpie to the side of them and mark off 2oz graduations ...