Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 06:57 AM   #1201
bigbadandugly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiriLeo View Post
And now comes my stupid question: is there any possibility of changing the plastic covers (all of them) without having to buy them from BMW - is there any other manufacturer that you know of (and that I didn't find yet)?
Thanks and I'm all ears to what you're going to say
Take the parts off and send them to a body shop for painting...bound to be cheaper than new BMW parts. Call a body shop instructor at SAIT to see if they will accept the parts for a student to paint. The instructor will ensure the parts come out looking good.
Dyno testing of a PC-V + Full Akropovic system on an R1200GS
bigbadandugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:07 AM   #1202
ChiriLeo
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadandugly View Post
Take the parts off and send them to a body shop for painting...bound to be cheaper than new BMW parts. Call a body shop instructor at SAIT to see if they will accept the parts for a student to paint. The instructor will ensure the parts come out looking good.

Thanks, it is a solution, but I'm trying to delay / avoid it; an eventual scratch (I'm a beginner), would look uglier on a painted panel, I think
ChiriLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:03 AM   #1203
flei
queasy rider

Oddometer: 441
Question How do I ride this thing SLOW!

Just got back on a bike after 25 years, a 2010 F650GS, and I love it, EXCEPT if I want to ride SLOWLY! When I was young I rode street, MX, Enduro, Trials, etc. on many different bikes, so I know how to do it but can't! I bought the bike to "Adventure" ride, but can't imagine going into hairy off-road situations (e.g., rock gardens) with so little ability to "plonk" the bike along with control. It seems geared so high, and there is the issue of "throttle snatch". I have read the posts re: these issues so it seems that many share this "problem"and there are many proposed solutions (e.g., you get used to it, power controller, new throttle, change the gearing, etc.). What do people think is the first approach I should take to address this issue? What should be the order of most easy/cheap/simple/effective to most hard/expensive/complex/effective fix?
flei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:40 AM   #1204
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,604
#1 Buy an Accelerator ($75) or Booster Plug ($150) module.....same basic thing. Plug & play device which tells the ECU the ambient temperature is colder than it really is. This makes the ECU "richen" the fuel mixture just enough. Voila...snatchy-jerky take-off is gone. Wonderful CHEAP solution that plain works!

# 2 Gear it down. Swap out the counter (drive) sprocket with one less tooth. It's really easy & quick change-out on this bike.

On my F800, I ultimately changed my rear sprocket too. Had Supersprox make me a 45 Tooth Rear....so I could swap between 17 & 15 on the front, to get an even lower gearing for the rough trails, when I wanted too. It's wonderful combination. . Guessing you could do something similar in your 650.....just figure out the ratios you want (mine is 45/17 = 2.65 vs. 45/15 = 3.00). My stock F800 came with 43/16 = 2.69, for reference.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #1205
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,377
I have the cheapass Accelerator module + G2 throttle tube (it came first) . I have a 15 tooth sprocket, but don't use it, because if you upgrade your suspension you can up the speed you travel over the terrain.

The suspension is crap (a 2009 thread that I agree with). Bitubo fork cartridge + Ohlins spring on the front plus a Hyperpro rear spring made it rideable.

It is not the best solution, but on a budget, the cheapest.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #1206
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Oddometer: 2,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
#1 Buy an Accelerator ($75) or Booster Plug ($150) module.....same basic thing. Plug & play device which tells the ECU the ambient temperature is colder than it really is. This makes the ECU "richen" the fuel mixture just enough. Voila...snatchy-jerky take-off is gone. Wonderful CHEAP solution that plain works!

# 2 Gear it down. Swap out the counter (drive) sprocket with one less tooth. It's really easy & quick change-out on this bike.
I know this aint the Flea Market but I'm warning you, I had a crap day so I may bite.

If the OP wishes, I have a booster plug on our 650 that it came with and will be removed. 2K kms or less. She hates it and prefers snatchy. Does work as promised tho. Also have used front sprockets. I believe you put a 800 sprocket on the 650 for lower gearing? I dunno. I am transitioning houses and don't know where anything is. Cat whined till I found the box he was crated in so that worked out. So I've lost my notes for now.

Anyway, decide which route you want to go as these guys are recommending. It all helps with your issues.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #1207
Captain Excellent
+ll+

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
It takes two rotations of the crankshaft (720 degrees) to go through all 4 cycles of a 4 stroke motor(Intake,compression,power,exhaust).
Or as others would say Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow
Old 04-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #1208
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by flei View Post
Just got back on a bike after 25 years, a 2010 F650GS, and I love it, EXCEPT if I want to ride SLOWLY! When I was young I rode street, MX, Enduro, Trials, etc. on many different bikes, so I know how to do it but can't! I bought the bike to "Adventure" ride, but can't imagine going into hairy off-road situations (e.g., rock gardens) with so little ability to "plonk" the bike along with control. It seems geared so high, and there is the issue of "throttle snatch". I have read the posts re: these issues so it seems that many share this "problem"and there are many proposed solutions (e.g., you get used to it, power controller, new throttle, change the gearing, etc.). What do people think is the first approach I should take to address this issue? What should be the order of most easy/cheap/simple/effective to most hard/expensive/complex/effective fix?
Stay tuned......

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...782942&page=13

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:10 PM   #1209
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Excellent View Post
Or as others would say Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow
Where did you dig that quote up?.

itsatdm screwed with this post 04-06-2013 at 12:15 AM
itsatdm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:54 AM   #1210
Captain Excellent
+ll+

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Where did you dig that quote up?.
Handed down from the teach at my community college "motorcycle maintenance" training course.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:09 PM   #1211
ThatGuy
Brownie

Oddometer: 4,467
Since there aren't any major changes to the '13, would the prior years Haynes/Clymer book cover everything?
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:31 AM   #1212
flei
queasy rider

Oddometer: 441
Question The oft-asked tire question!

I'm a newbie on a new-to-me 2010 F650GS with stock tires. They seem great on the tar, but not so good on dirt/gravel/mud etc. I plan to actually "adventure tour", which to me means ride long distances both on and off road. This will include challenging roads (e.g., twisties and interstates, etc.) as well as dirt/gravel/woods roads/TAT/AL-CAN, etc.. So I do plan to ride 50% on-road and 50% off. I searched the threads and there are a MILLION opinions, probably the best one being that "tire choice is subjective". I am pondering the Conti TKC's and the Heidenau K60's. So, any advice? Let the battle begin!
Old 04-08-2013, 04:56 AM   #1213
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
Since there aren't any major changes to the '13, would the prior years Haynes/Clymer book cover everything?
You didn't mention 650(700) or 800 So I'll speculate on both.

The 700 is basically a "facelift" model with a couple extra HP for that youthful look and kick. I'd say well over 90% is the exact same and the rest you could figure out easy enough. The 800 is sporting new plastic as well and with the same but different front forks. It's easier to say WP than Marzocci..Marzochee....Zokes.....by any other name would still be crap on this bike. They remove just the same but are a tad Supermodel like skinnier.

If you have the book then go with it. The unofficial Official Maintenance CD's on Ebay are so cheap it's worth getting one in the interim. Hopefully you're not doing anything serious till the Warranty is up which by then the appropriate manuals will be out if you still think it necessary.

Maybe the new CD's will be BNG'd as well.

(Bold New Graphics!)
Old 04-08-2013, 04:58 AM   #1214
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Quote:
I'm a newbie on a new-to-me 2010 F650GS with stock tires. They seem great on the tar, but not so good on dirt/gravel/mud etc. I plan to actually "adventure tour", which to me means ride long distances both on and off road. This will include challenging roads (e.g., twisties and interstates, etc.) as well as dirt/gravel/woods roads/TAT/AL-CAN, etc.. So I do plan to ride 50% on-road and 50% off. I searched the threads and there are a MILLION opinions, probably the best one being that "tire choice is subjective". I am pondering the Conti TKC's and the Heidenau K60's. So, any advice? Let the battle begin!

You're on your own!
Old 04-08-2013, 05:25 AM   #1215
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,101
Quote:
So IF you've read the "million of opinions" so why ask the question again? Everything is written down and you have to pick the best argument. Both tires will fit for what you want. You can mix them up and do the TKC front and a rear K60. Tire choice IS subjective, test them out and after having worn out a first pair try the other one. After 15k miles you'll know more about it but don't try to start an argument again whilst everything is written down. Loss of time.

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote