Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #1261
moe.ron
Poor Dumb Bastard

Oddometer: 2,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
Well not a new owner at all but a "stupid question"... Mostly I didn't want to create a new thread for this since we have enough of them hanging around already:

I did some intense watercrossings today involving sand and rocks. The whole watercrossings did last for about 30 minutes. The problem now is that my rear feels heavy has hell and the bike won't go forward until I push it to 4000 rpm, and I really mean WON'T move until that. My first thought is that something got into my rear brake pads and is blocking my rear break. The clutch and the lever are fine. When I put it on centerstand the wheel spinning feels fine. Since it's not ride by wire I can't imagine that electronics are being an issue.
I cleaned the bike after the whole day and let it dry. Since it's dark outside I won't mess with the bike until tomorrow morning. My first step will be the take off the rear brake pads. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Loutre -Tom
Just how deep was that water?
Old 04-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #1262
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by moe.ron View Post
Just how deep was that water?
Are you thinking about a wet airfilter? Wouldn't that just shut down the bike?

Sometimes I got covered up with water but I don't think it got much higher that that.
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #1263
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,190
Quote:
Are you thinking about a wet airfilter? Wouldn't that just shut down the bike?

Sometimes I got covered up with water but I don't think it got much higher that that.
Just a random guess, but since the problem only seems to be when the engine is under load, check to see if your air filter is clogged... also possible is a failing oxygen sensor stuck reporting a rich mixture - it might be working sufficiently that it hasn't triggered a warning light... if those items are ok, perhaps contaminated fuel (ie water)? For perspective I had a Suzuki Swift many years ago that exhibited these symptoms once and it ended up being the o2 sensor.

On my F8 I've gone through water right up to the air intakes and all is well still, although nothing got sucked in.

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #1264
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffs View Post
Just a random guess, but since the problem only seems to be when the engine is under load, check to see if your air filter is clogged... also possible is a failing oxygen sensor stuck reporting a rich mixture - it might be working sufficiently that it hasn't triggered a warning light... if those items are ok, perhaps contaminated fuel (ie water)? For perspective I had a Suzuki Swift many years ago that exhibited these symptoms once and it ended up being the o2 sensor.

On my F8 I've gone through water right up to the air intakes and all is well still, although nothing got sucked in.
Roger that! thanks for that! The tank is full of fuel, only run like 10kms before doing this. hope it isn't some kind of weird sensor or something. hate electronics. Tomorrow I'll begin with the read break even if now I don't think that this is the problem since the wheel is spinning right, but it is the easiest part to remove . Then I'll try to see what the air filter looks like.
Maybe after all the clutch isn't working right? hmm wait and see. I'll keep you tuned. and I'm all ears for new suggestions!!
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:

Old 04-17-2013, 03:30 PM   #1265
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,650
What's this? PITA Loutre has a question and not a smart ass remark? Is that a tail between your legs or are you glad to see us?

Check for trout in the snorkels.

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:35 PM   #1266
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Quote:
What's this? PITA Loutre has a question and not a smart ass remark? Is that a tail between your legs or are you glad to see us?

smart ass remark? Who do you think I am Reaver ? I only like flaming noobs and keeping them in their right place
Will check that too with the airfilter, think blowing in it will help (insert joke here)?
Quote:

Old 04-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #1267
duffs
It's been useful

Quote:

I know where he lives and it's on my way to the Alps in June.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:49 PM   #1268
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,647
Ha ha..... ... You two Frenchies....... No warning lights...... bike will not move until 4000 rpm. I want to make sure I understand it correctly. When you try to take off normally, what happens while you feather the clutch, and begins to move ( 1500-2500 rpm) Does the bike then stand still...???? and then after you hammer the throttle to 400 the bike moves...???? Water in oil, perhaps contaminating the oil system. Water should not be able to enter the oil system, but you go deep enough, all bets are off. You have already cleared the drive train by spinning the rear wheel, on the center stand, and that is fine. I beleive if the ecu have taken the motor in limp mode, due to a water intrusion, you would get a light. Does the clutch other why slip...???? Is the front wheel rotating freely...??? If you have paper air filter, it will severely restrict the intake if you sucked in water, but I think you would see other symptoms. If all the above is good, I would have a look at the air filter. You dont want water in the cylinders.

Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:00 PM   #1269
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
If you have paper air filter, it will severely restrict the intake if you sucked in water, but I think you would see other symptoms. If all the above is good, I would have a look at the air filter. You dont want water in the cylinders.
A damp air filter will cause it to run bad. A SOAKED air filter will get sucked right into the airbox then run normal again, unless it also disintregrates and blocks a cyl or two.

I want pictures too!

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #1270
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Quote:
Ha ha..... ... You two Frenchies....... No warning lights...... bike will not move until 4000 rpm. I want to make sure I understand it correctly. When you try to take off normally, what happens while you feather the clutch, and begins to move ( 1500-2500 rpm) Does the bike then stand still...???? and then after you hammer the throttle to 400 the bike moves...???? Water in oil, perhaps contaminating the oil system. Water should not be able to enter the oil system, but you go deep enough, all bets are off. You have already cleared the drive train by spinning the rear wheel, on the center stand, and that is fine. I beleive if the ecu have taken the motor in limp mode, due to a water intrusion, you would get a light. Does the clutch other why slip...???? Is the front wheel rotating freely...??? If you have paper air filter, it will severely restrict the intake if you sucked in water, but I think you would see other symptoms. If all the above is good, I would have a look at the air filter. You dont want water in the cylinders.
Ah Erling the master of Carbonfiber is coming to my rescue! I appreciate
So here we go:

"When you try to take off normally, what happens while you feather the clutch, and begins to move ( 1500-2500 rpm) Does the bike then stand still...???? and then after you hammer the throttle to 400 the bike moves...????"

<-- 1500 up to 4000 (I'd say) the bike stands still: Like if you had the clutch engaged, you hear the engine but thats it.

"then after you hammer the throttle to 4000 the bike moves...????"

<-- Moves really slowly like if I had my food on the rear brake (thus my suggestion about the pads)

"Water in oil, perhaps contaminating the oil system. Water should not be able to enter the oil system, but you go deep enough, all bets are off."

<-- one of the first things I checked during my "cleaning session". oil is at the same level as before the trip (checked it the day before)

"I beleive if the ecu have taken the motor in limp mode, due to a water intrusion, you would get a light. Does the clutch other why slip...????"

<-- haven't noticed any light and the clutch feels normal =/

"Is the front wheel rotating freely...???"

<-- Yep it does

"If you have paper air filter, it will severely restrict the intake if you sucked in water, but I think you would see other symptoms."

<-- I still have the OEM air filter =/ Maybe that's a sign telling me to change them

"If all the above is good, I would have a look at the air filter. You dont want water in the cylinders."

<-- Well I hope this can wait until tomorrow, otherwise I'll have a problem . It's 1 am here and a "bit dark" outside

A big thanks to you too!

Quote:

Old 04-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #1271
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Quote:
A damp air filter will cause it to run bad. A SOAKED air filter will get sucked right into the airbox then run normal again, unless it also disintregrates and blocks a cyl or two.

I want pictures too!
well maybe this rainy night will dry it out completly and it'll work just fine tomorrow . Two days before I got into even deeper water and nothing happend. Let's call it bad luck
Quote:

Old 04-17-2013, 04:17 PM   #1272
duffs
It's been useful

Quote:
Ha ha..... ... You two Frenchies.......
As much as I enjoy the charming lures of France, the UK below my profile picture is a bit of a dead giveaway!

Old 04-17-2013, 04:22 PM   #1273
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffs View Post
I know where he lives and it's on my way to the Alps in June.
There will be plenty beer in the fridge
Quote:

Old 04-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #1274
duffs
It's been useful

Quote:
Roger that! thanks for that! The tank is full of fuel, only run like 10kms before doing this. hope it isn't some kind of weird sensor or something. hate electronics. Tomorrow I'll begin with the read break even if now I don't think that this is the problem since the wheel is spinning right, but it is the easiest part to remove . Then I'll try to see what the air filter looks like.
Maybe after all the clutch isn't working right? hmm wait and see. I'll keep you tuned. and I'm all ears for new suggestions!!
This is slightly perplexing... what happens if you try to spin the rear wheel with your hand while in neutral on the centre stand? Does it turn freely?

When you're attempting to move does the engine just bog down and stall? or rev freely like the clutch is slipping?

The reason I thought it might be load-related is because that could mimic the sensation that the rear wheel is binding up due to the power drop while releasing the clutch a lower revs...

Old 04-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #1275
duffs
It's been useful

Quote:
There will be plenty beer in the fridge
Nice one! Might just take you up on that!