Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 05:31 PM   #1276
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffs View Post
This is slightly perplexing... what happens if you try to spin the rear wheel with your hand while in neutral on the centre stand? Does it turn freely?
Perplexing is the right word there . The rear will turn freely whilst in neutral on center stand.

When you're attempting to move does the engine just bog down and stall? or rev freely like the clutch is slipping?
That is what irretated me, the engine stays at ~1500rps like it normally does. It doesn't stall.

The reason I thought it might be load-related is because that could mimic the sensation that the rear wheel is binding up due to the power drop while releasing the clutch a lower revs...
I think the most plausible thing right now is the soaked air filter, even though I can't see how it happened. now let's just hope that nothing entered in that engine :o). In 2 days I'm heading back to my appartment 700kms away from here, it kinda has to work until then . In my past experience pushing isn't a solution
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #1277
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
I think the most plausible thing right now is the soaked air filter, even though I can't see how it happened. now let's just hope that nothing entered in that engine :o). In 2 days I'm heading back to my appartment 700kms away from here, it kinda has to work until then . In my past experience pushing isn't a solution
Ah ok, so if it goes to 1,500rpm and then jumps to 4,000, doesn't sound like the clutch or brake... obviously the filter is quick/easy to check tomorrow... but now it's starting to sound like either an issue with the throttle cable (binding perhaps?) or the throttle position sensor (although this should trigger a warning lamp)... with the engine switched off, is there any perceptible 'snap' or slack when you turn the throttle from idle to full? At least you have the upper revs so you should be able to get home!

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #1278
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Quote:
Ah ok, so if it goes to 1,500rpm and then jumps to 4,000, doesn't sound like the clutch or brake... obviously the filter is quick/easy to check tomorrow... but now it's starting to sound like either an issue with the throttle cable (binding perhaps?) or the throttle position sensor (although this should trigger a warning lamp)... with the engine switched off, is there any perceptible 'snap' or slack when you turn the throttle from idle to full? At least you have the upper revs so you should be able to get home!

Maybe I wasn't clear but I need to push it to 4000rps (turning the throttle) in order to get it moving . I did hit a rock badly on the right side (hoping for my rims to bend in order to push me to a new "Woody-set", btw magician, you owe me an answer ) which scrapped my bashplate but I didn't check the cable after that. One problem, so many possibilities... Not sure I'm ready for a RTW trip or I need you guys 24/7 on my side
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:

Old 04-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #1279
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:

Maybe I wasn't clear but I need to push it to 4000rps (turning the throttle) in order to get it moving . I did hit a rock badly on the right side (hoping for my rims to bend in order to push me to a new "Woody-set", btw magician, you owe me an answer ) which scrapped my bashplate but I didn't check the cable after that. One problem, so many possibilities... Not sure I'm ready for a RTW trip or I need you guys 24/7 on my side
Haha at this point, pop to the nearest dealership/mechanic and see what they say! :)

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #1280
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,673
Quote:
As much as I enjoy the charming lures of France, the UK below my profile picture is a bit of a dead giveaway!
LOL... I was referring to our French Canadian.....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:03 PM   #1281
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

"When you try to take off normally, what happens while you feather the clutch, and begins to move ( 1500-2500 rpm) Does the bike then stand still...???? and then after you hammer the throttle to 400 the bike moves...????"

<-- 1500 up to 4000 (I'd say) the bike stands still: Like if you had the clutch engaged, you hear the engine but thats it.

"then after you hammer the throttle to 4000 the bike moves...????"

<-- Moves really slowly like if I had my food on the rear brake (thus my suggestion about the pads)

Well..... if you let go of the clutch, and the bike does not move until you hit 4000 rpm...... The either the clutch is burned, or something is broke. When the bike does move..... slowly..... does it ever get going normal...???? You could have burned the clutch. If you are in first gear, not pulling the clutch, and the bike is not moving.... You have a bad clutch. Am I missing something..... ???

Erling
Old 04-17-2013, 08:21 PM   #1282
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
LOL... I was referring to our French Canadian.....

Parlez vous WTF? Ferme la bouche!

Who ya callin' French Canadian you Mexican FF!

New Mexico= New Mexican non? Or is it Nouveau-Mexique?

Ah, what do I know?

Go Carbon Fibre something.

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:25 PM   #1283
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Parlez vous WTF? Ferme la bouche!

Who ya callin' French Canadian you Mexican FF!

New Mexico= New Mexican non? Or is it Nouveau-Mexique?

Ah, what do I know?

Go Carbon Fibre something.
Ha ha...... I thought with such flair for enticing people, it had to be Ontario,Canada, where the Quibec'ans are never far away..... My apologies my fellow yank..... You really have to work on your people skills..... LOL...

Erling
Old 04-18-2013, 05:20 AM   #1284
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

update:

The airfilter was indeed wet, dried it with a fan. There was some oil in there... Don't think that that is normal(?). I tried the bike out. Still doesn't work properly. I don't have any tork whatsoever. So it won't move over 3.500 rpm and it doesn't have any tork at all. We have a little hill infront of the house and I have all the pain in the world getting over it. it's like I'm actionning the clutch.

Next step: opening the clutch side of the engine looking what has happened there.
Quote:

Old 04-18-2013, 06:37 AM   #1285
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
update:

The airfilter was indeed wet, dried it with a fan. There was some oil in there... Don't think that that is normal(?). I tried the bike out. Still doesn't work properly. I don't have any tork whatsoever. So it won't move over 3.500 rpm and it doesn't have any tork at all. We have a little hill infront of the house and I have all the pain in the world getting over it. it's like I'm actionning the clutch.

Next step: opening the clutch side of the engine looking what has happened there.
Me think Burned clutch. It will wear naturally, but you can kill it fairly fast by slipping it excessively. It does not take much. Good thing is that it only takes 15 minutes to get in there. Lean the bike to the right, up against the wall, and you will only loose a spoonful of oil. Sidestand, shifter gotta come off first. Then carefully the cover comes off. Watch for the small washer on the shifter. You do not want to loose that. As you peel off the cover, watch not to break the gasket, so it can be reused. Look for the steel disc to have a shiny " metal color" if they have a blue shine on them the clutch have been overheated , and is toast. In the clutch thread here n the index, are the spec's. Measure your fibrous plates, and make sure they pass. Then torque the cover to spec's, and pattern, as in the other thread. I bet you it is toast. Sorry.

Erling
Old 04-18-2013, 06:57 AM   #1286
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
Me think Burned clutch. It will wear naturally, but you can kill it fairly fast by slipping it excessively. It does not take much. Good thing is that it only takes 15 minutes to get in there. Lean the bike to the right, up against the wall, and you will only loose a spoonful of oil. Sidestand, shifter gotta come off first. Then carefully the cover comes off. Watch for the small washer on the shifter. You do not want to loose that. As you peel off the cover, watch not to break the gasket, so it can be reused. Look for the steel disc to have a shiny " metal color" if they have a blue shine on them the clutch have been overheated , and is toast. In the clutch thread here n the index, are the spec's. Measure your fibrous plates, and make sure they pass. Then torque the cover to spec's, and pattern, as in the other thread. I bet you it is toast. Sorry.
Yeps just wanted to post that: I'm quite sure it is toast, just found a topic in here with exactly the same symptoms:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sijohnston View Post
my clutch has gone. 17,000 miles and caved in on saturday. ok drive to 3000 revs in all gears, but after 3k revs, it just revs into the red with no drive at all. it's been picked up (again!) by roadside assistance, so will keep you posted on what the craic is with it. getting a little weary of this. i feel like i need a direct phone line to the dealers...
At the moment I'm still fighting with a PITA bold to get the sidestand off. FFS. Nothing left to do but ordering the replacement kit from BMW and get to work. Woot!
Quote:

Old 04-18-2013, 07:15 AM   #1287
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yeps just wanted to post that: I'm quite sure it is toast, just found a topic in here with exactly the same symptoms:

At the moment I'm still fighting with a PITA bold to get the sidestand off. FFS. Nothing left to do but ordering the replacement kit from BMW and get to work. Woot!
Yeppers.... That thing is a pain in the a$$, the first time you break the loctite free.

Erling
Old 04-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #1288
Reaver
Outta Here

Quote:
The airfilter was indeed wet, dried it with a fan. There was some oil in there... Don't think that that is normal(?). I
Just an FYI: it is normal to have a small amount of oil in the airbox. Wipe it out with a rag. If there's a LOT of oil in there, as in multiple rags and a sloppy mess, then in my experience it's one of two things. Continuous high rev/high speed riding overwhelms the crankcase breather oil separator and oil vapour goes into the airbox. Common. High blow by on the pistons, as in low compression, will do the same thing but at lower revs so lots of oil will get by and into the airbox. The 650 Single crowd often ride at 140+ kmh which causes the paper air filter to get oil soaked which then gets sucked right into the airbox.

A third option, for which you are too smart to have happen, is when you overfill the oil. I've seen a K1200R get traded in for peanuts cause the owner thought the engine was done. I drained 1.5L of oil and cleaned the airbox. Good as new.

Sorry 'bout yer clutch. Better than an engine repair though. Did you run out of free play at the lever? Can't adjust it any more?

If you can't find any info here on the replacement PM me and I'll check my RepRom CD. I can even cut and paste in French!

Old 04-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #1289
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Quote:
Just an FYI: it is normal to have a small amount of oil in the airbox. Wipe it out with a rag. If there's a LOT of oil in there, as in multiple rags and a sloppy mess, then in my experience it's one of two things. Continuous high rev/high speed riding overwhelms the crankcase breather oil separator and oil vapour goes into the airbox. Common. High blow by on the pistons, as in low compression, will do the same thing but at lower revs so lots of oil will get by and into the airbox. The 650 Single crowd often ride at 140+ kmh which causes the paper air filter to get oil soaked which then gets sucked right into the airbox.

A third option, for which you are too smart to have happen, is when you overfill the oil. I've seen a K1200R get traded in for peanuts cause the owner thought the engine was done. I drained 1.5L of oil and cleaned the airbox. Good as new.
Wish it would be the overfilling

Sorry 'bout yer clutch. Better than an engine repair though. Did you run out of free play at the lever? Can't adjust it any more?
What do you mean by that? Never adjusted the lever and it just came out of the 30k service. Think they looked at it. Can I still adjust the lever to avoid replacing the whole darn thing?

If you can't find any info here on the replacement PM me and I'll check my RepRom CD. I can even cut and paste in French!
I found some DIY replacement info here, but in french it would be even better
Quote:

Old 04-18-2013, 09:32 AM   #1290
Reaver
Outta Here

Loutre; What do you mean by that? Never adjusted the lever and it just came out of the 30k service. Think they looked at it. Can I still adjust the lever to avoid replacing the whole darn thing?

Do you have any freeplay at the clutch lever? When you first pull the clutch it should be easy (loose) for 5mm then start to disengage the clutch. If not then you need to adjust it. Maybe there's hope. I'll try the manual....en francais.