Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 09:14 AM   #1291
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
Loutre; What do you mean by that? Never adjusted the lever and it just came out of the 30k service. Think they looked at it. Can I still adjust the lever to avoid replacing the whole darn thing?

Do you have any freeplay at the clutch lever? When you first pull the clutch it should be easy (loose) for 5mm then start to disengage the clutch. If not then you need to adjust it. Maybe there's hope. I'll try the manual....en francais.
Update:

It is open.. But I had the bad idea to start the engine to listn to some strange noise.. but forgot to bold all the screws correctly in place. Result? All the engine oil came out and the clutch is flooded with oil . Going to take some pics now, you are the judges if it is dead or not.
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #1292
4TooMany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
Result? All the engine oil came out and the clutch is flooded with oil .
It's a "wet" clutch, it's supposed to be flooded with oil.
4TooMany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:21 AM   #1293
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,417
Quote:
Update:

It is open.. But I had the bad idea to start the engine to listn to some strange noise.. but forgot to bold all the screws correctly in place. Result? All the engine oil came out and the clutch is flooded with oil . Going to take some pics now, you are the judges if it is dead or not.
I've heard that the French love "The Three Stooges." No?

Old 04-18-2013, 09:39 AM   #1294
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,590
Quote:
Just an FYI: it is normal to have a small amount of oil in the airbox. Wipe it out with a rag. If there's a LOT of oil in there, as in multiple rags and a sloppy mess, then in my experience it's one of two things. Continuous high rev/high speed riding overwhelms the crankcase breather oil separator and oil vapour goes into the airbox. Common. High blow by on the pistons, as in low compression, will do the same thing but at lower revs so lots of oil will get by and into the airbox. The 650 Single crowd often ride at 140+ kmh which causes the paper air filter to get oil soaked which then gets sucked right into the airbox.

A third option, for which you are too smart to have happen, is when you overfill the oil. I've seen a K1200R get traded in for peanuts cause the owner thought the engine was done. I drained 1.5L of oil and cleaned the airbox. Good as new.

Sorry 'bout yer clutch. Better than an engine repair though. Did you run out of free play at the lever? Can't adjust it any more?

If you can't find any info here on the replacement PM me and I'll check my RepRom CD. I can even cut and paste in French!
I knew it.... I knew it all along......

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:59 AM   #1295
Reaver
Outta Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
I knew it.... I knew it all along......

Sometime this summer, and you won't know when, I'll be on a GS tour in your area looking at that big hole in the ground. I'll be sure to look you up so you can KMA!

Old 04-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #1296
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TooMany View Post
It's a "wet" clutch, it's supposed to be flooded with oil.
not dripping out like this, lost the 2.6 liters of oil ;). Normally when opening the clutch you lose like a big tablespoon of it :o)
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:

Old 04-18-2013, 10:42 AM   #1297
4TooMany
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
not dripping out like this, lost the 2.6 liters of oil ;). Normally when opening the clutch you lose like a big tablespoon of it :o)
You're talking about two different things. The fact that you lost all that oil is obviously because you ran it with the cover off. But regardless, even with the cover on, the clutch should be "flooded with oil" as you put it. That's the way it's supposed to function on a bike with a wet clutch. If you happened to have a clear clutch cover, you'd see that when the engine is running it's intentionally flooding the clutch with oil. I'm just making sure you understand that it doesn't work like the clutch in a car.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #1298
Reaver
Outta Here

Quote:
I'm just making sure you understand that it doesn't work like the clutch in a car.
Or a 1200 GS.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #1299
4TooMany
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Or a 1200 GS.
Or more specifically a 1200 GS BEFORE 2013
Old 04-18-2013, 11:07 AM   #1300
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Quote:
That's the way it's supposed to function on a bike with a wet clutch. I'm just making sure you understand that it doesn't work like the clutch in a car.
I was aware of that thanks :o). Good this has been posted anyway for the "noobs" coming after me.

So update:

I'd say it is toast :o) here some pics.

Quote:

Old 04-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #1301
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Sometime this summer, and you won't know when, I'll be on a GS tour in your area looking at that big hole in the ground. I'll be sure to look you up so you can KMA!

LOL..........That's ok, as long as my espresso machine is going I will brew us a double.....each....

Erling
Old 04-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #1302
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

another stupid question: why is it so nasty that the plates have burnt? Couldn't I just lube the whole thing back in it and do something with the clutch lever? Kinda needed to be at my appartment in 2 days and I don't think that any BMW dealer has a replacement part in the area :o)
Quote:

Old 04-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #1303
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
another stupid question: why is it so nasty that the plates have burnt? Couldn't I just lube the whole thing back in it and do something with the clutch lever? Kinda needed to be at my appartment in 2 days and I don't think that any BMW dealer has a replacement part in the area :o)
Ouch.... That is surely burned. You can wear the clutch two different ways. One is to simply wear it out over time. You will see this as the fibrous discs are worn down. You will not necessarily see any heat implications, just worn fiber discs. The other way is by excessive " slipping" of the clutch. That creates a tremendous amount of heat, and it "cookes" you clutch. The evidence of that is that many, if not all of the steel discs, are now blue in color, as steel does, when heated up. Your discs are very dark blue, and have received quite the heat treatment, and might even be a little warped. The part that is really broken though, is the fibrous discs. When they get that hot , as noted by the color of your steel discs, the fiber part of the fibrous discs breaks down, and they are done. At this point, your only choice is a new set. Sorry.

Erling
Old 04-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #1304
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
Ouch.... That is surely burned. You can wear the clutch two different ways. One is to simply wear it out over time. You will see this as the fibrous discs are worn down. You will not necessarily see any heat implications, just worn fiber discs. The other way is by excessive " slipping" of the clutch. That creates a tremendous amount of heat, and it "cookes" you clutch. The evidence of that is that many, if not all of the steel discs, are now blue in color, as steel does, when heated up. Your discs are very dark blue, and have received quite the heat treatment, and might even be a little warped. The part that is really broken though, is the fibrous discs. When they get that hot , as noted by the color of your steel discs, the fiber part of the fibrous discs breaks down, and they are done. At this point, your only choice is a new set. Sorry.
Ah great explenation! This way even I understand that I need to change them thanks for that! I almost never use the brakes and do everything with the engine braking. The offroad uses surely don't help either. Do you think the "super clutch" would prevent such things? It's worth 3 sets of normal clutches don't think that its lifetime is more than 50% longer and I don't think that it helps if not used in offroad situations.
Quote:

Old 04-18-2013, 04:27 PM   #1305
Reaver
Outta Here

Quote:
Too bad you're so far away. I have a good used clutch here you could have.

C'est dommage.