User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2011, 04:44 AM   #121
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,581
Reserve light.

My owners manual is a little vague on the subject of "reserve".

I assume that the countdown to empty is the first 16litres, then when the flashing fuel pump symbol on the left display is lit it means you are approaching empty.

I see a little symbol that is supposed to represent reserve, but no actual explanation in the manual to how it works.

I again assume that once it's lit you have 4 litres and you are walking.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

I was thinking of packing a fuel can and just riding until it stops to figure out how it works, but that can be problematic.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:07 AM   #122
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,262
For the guy who asked about the center stand the best IMHO is the one made by SW Motech that you can get at www.twistedthrottle.com
The part number is HPS.07.557.100

I think their crash bars are tops too. Dave

CheckerdD screwed with this post 04-20-2011 at 06:15 AM
CheckerdD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:30 AM   #123
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
My owners manual is a little vague on the subject of "reserve".
Can anyone shed some light on this?
I can tell you I have about 30 miles of range remaining whenever that "low fuel light" comes on. Based upon my running average MPG, I calculate that to be about 0.65 gallons of useable fuel remaining in my tank.

You'll have to do the metric conversions from there.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:24 PM   #124
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,409
It seems to vary. I have about a gal, some left even after the gauge says I don't. To be sure you should run some test to see what your reality is.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:51 PM   #125
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,204
I've been wanting to see how far I can go when the light comes on but I was told its really bad to run out of gas on a fuel-injected bike. Any thoughts on this?
soyanarchisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:58 PM   #126
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyanarchisto View Post
I've been wanting to see how far I can go when the light comes on but I was told its really bad to run out of gas on a fuel-injected bike. Any thoughts on this?
It's certainly not GOOD, but shouldn't hurt to do it once.

I've run my bike down past zero a few times, to where I rode for miles on "--". Running on hopes and dreams, is what I termed it. Never actually ran out, but I must have been pretty close after 5-10 miles on "--".
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:59 PM   #127
Hucker
Lost

Oddometer: 668
I'm consistently getting 180-190 miles per tank during the commuting week. I continue to run it for 25 miles after the light comes on (and on the 2011 the counter starts counting up), and haven't run out of fuel yet. Like ChiTown said, I can probably squeeze 210 miles or so if I was easy on the throttle (not fun). I have gotten as few as 140 or so riding the "fun" way.
Hucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:40 AM   #128
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

So is there actually a "reserve" symbol on the dash after the flashing fuel pump has been lit?

Or is the "--" the reserve indicator?

Seems a bit silly to have a reserve that isn't really a reserve. more an "almost empty"

Snowy screwed with this post 04-21-2011 at 04:32 AM
Old 04-21-2011, 09:41 AM   #129
Hucker
Lost

Oddometer: 668
Quote:
So is there actually a "reserve" symbol on the dash after the flashing fuel pump has been lit?

Or is the "--" the reserve indicator?
I think there are two different display types:
On my '11, I have the standard gas gauge bars. The gauge doesn't move until I reach approximately 110 miles. Then it drops quickly...
When I reach "empty," the yellow fuel light comes on and a new counter pops onto the screen to show how many miles I have driven since the light came on. When I get to 25-30 miles on the new counter, I can put (I think) about 3.8 U.S. GAL in it. I have never driven to true empty yet.

The other (older) display type seems to be similar, but has counter that counts down, to empty. I will let someone else explain that one.
Hucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:52 PM   #130
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks Cushman.

I'm told the tank holds a total of 20 litres, 16 + 4 reserve.

The most I've put in was 14 litres, it said I had 60km to go until empty, and I'd done 337km. Highway travel, 110kph.

Which actually all sort of adds up. Without including the 4 litre "reserve".

I suppose the first time I run out will be the time I actually figure it out.

Be nice to have that fuel tap reserve that you can't "accidentally" use. At least you know how far you have remaining and can plan around it.

It's kind of important where I'm planning on going with this bike. It's a long walk if I get it wrong.

Edit: I just used my conversion calculator and discovered my 337km on 14 and a bit litres works out exactly the same as your 210 miles on 3.8 gallons.

So I'm part way to figuring it out.

I actually quite like the consistently good fuel consumption from the F800. It makes planning fuel stops that much easier.

Snowy screwed with this post 04-21-2011 at 07:58 PM
Old 04-21-2011, 08:05 PM   #131
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
It seems to vary. I have about a gal, some left even after the gauge says I don't. To be sure you should run some test to see what your reality is.
Which is about the 4 litres I was told constitutes the "reserve".

Cool.

I have a fuel bladder coming. I can strap it on the back and see what happens.

I have fond memories of pushing my DR650 for a couple of kms to a farm house once because I hadn't ever actually tried to see how far it would go on reserve. I calculated what I thought it held, convinced myself that the next town was reachable, and promptly ran out of fuel about 20 km short of where I needed to get to.

Fully loaded DR and full riding kit on a hot day, uphill to farm house.

Never again.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:14 PM   #132
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
I'm told the tank holds a total of 20 litres, 16 + 4 reserve.
You've been told wrong, Snowy. The tank holds 16 liters. That's it. No more. The "reserve" is the last few gulps of those 16 liters.

After I got my faulty fuel sender fixed back in the spring of '09, I strapped a gas can to the back rack and deliberately ran the tank dry twice on the same day. In a mix of highway and back country roads, the bike ran out of gas at 348 and 350 kms. After both run-dries, I put in a hair over 16 liters.

Depending on your riding style, you may get a little more or less. But those numbers are real-world numbers.

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:57 PM   #133
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,146
[QUOTE=WoodWorks;15727897]You've been told wrong, Snowy. The tank holds 16 liters. That's it. No more. The "reserve" is the last few gulps of those 16 liters./QUOTE]

I have almost run my tank dry (I think I had about 10 metres left!) and I was able to put in nearly 17.5 litres. I don't think you should regularly use the last 1.5 litres because the fuel pump needs to be cooled, but its nice to know its there. (Thats of course if all the tanks hold the same ... YMMV !)

I think the shortest distance I ever got from a tank was 320 Km and the longest was an incredible, and probably unrepeatable 450Km. I usually get about 380Km. When the fuel warning light comes on I usually have about 60Km before empty.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:19 PM   #134
motocrossross
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Hand Guards

Ok, maybe i should have bought a KLR..... Ive owned bikes my whole life and have been running full wrap hand guards since 1988, but ive never paid more than 60 bucks for a pair. WTF is up with the $150 bark busters or the $160 BMW hand guards? Is anyone running cheaper ones, like from Moose Racing or Acerbis?
Another dumb question: how much of a hassle is it to mount different handlebars, like a Renthal desert/vintage high bend? I have the F650GS, which has the cheaper 7/8" bars.
Am i being a tightwad? Should i just cave and spend the bucks for the ones that bolt up easily?
'13 R1200GS
motocrossross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:38 AM   #135
zazz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
What's the small pipe that runs out of the top of the fuel cap and back down into the frame do?

guess that was a really stupid question.

zazz screwed with this post 04-22-2011 at 04:19 AM
zazz is offline   Reply With Quote