Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 12:09 AM   #1351
ThatGuy
Brownie

Oddometer: 4,938
How much of a deviation is there between models prior to '13? I'm looking to pick up a repair manual(Haynes or disc) but done say "13."
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:07 AM   #1352
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,206
In my experience, BMW makes changes to bike design and maint. procedures without regard to the model year ... then they sometimes reverse themselves....

For a while they were recommending a looser valve lash setting, and then just recently put it back to the original values again...

The BMW DVD is at least at Revision #6, maybe higher ...
On the book I don't know, but the few times I've called Haynes they've been helpful so you could ask if they intent do come out with revised edition....
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:29 AM   #1353
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
In my experience, BMW makes changes to bike design and maint. procedures without regard to the model year ... then they sometimes reverse themselves....

For a while they were recommending a looser valve lash setting, and then just recently put it back to the original values again....
Ummm, I've been sleeping and dealing with a yappy drunken 'merkin trying to arrange shipping of some parts I think I bought, did BMW revert to the original valve clearance? You mean I don't have to change both our bikes?

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:02 PM   #1354
ThatGuy
Brownie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post

For a while they were recommending a looser valve lash setting, and then just recently put it back to the original values again...

The BMW DVD is at least at Revision #6, maybe higher ...
On the book I don't know, but the few times I've called Haynes they've been helpful so you could ask if they intent do come out with revised edition....
Thanks! I will get in touch with them and/or search for the DVD.
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:36 AM   #1355
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
Thanks! I will get in touch with them and/or search for the DVD.
A good part of the service DVD is now on youtube. If you don't find it PM me :o)
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:09 AM   #1356
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
Ummm, I've been sleeping and dealing with a yappy drunken 'merkin trying to arrange shipping of some parts I think I bought, did BMW revert to the original valve clearance? You mean I don't have to change both our bikes?
Yeah... wake up ya' hoser or I'll give your tank away on the good karma thread ...

After announcing the looser specs they had people crying about the extra noise and went back to the original specs again after a few months ... it did say there was no "technical reason" to go back into bikes with larger clearances and tighten them up unless there was a customer with a Starbux cup in their hand crying ...

My conclusion is that the loose end of the original tolerance range can be safely exceeded by a good margin before any engine damage/excessive wear might occur.

I have a paper copy of the official tech. bulletin on this but didn't post it for fear of having my ass kicked for doing a thing that would get forum in trouble ... (I did note it on the valve thread)....

oh ... and ... check your e-mail
Old 04-29-2013, 04:45 AM   #1357
RobbieO
Banned

Oddometer: 8,161
Here's a stupid question......

Is the oil filter with the removal nut built in from K&N part # 164?
RobbieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:49 AM   #1358
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieO View Post

Yes, that's the one that fits the twins!

A while back one of the local auto parts stores ran a special where you could get any oil filter they carry for free with purchase of 5-Qt jug of some good grade oil.... I stocked up on oil for the cars, and $12 KN filters
Old 04-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #1359
mattlikesbikes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
It's not BMW; it's the dealer who is responsible for selling a used bike with a part not properly secured. As for the salesman's explanation about seeing this before, it might be true, but I suspect he's trying to divert your attention from the real issue: a dangerous failure caused by their mechanic's negligence. Actually, the salesman's comment makes it worse; they had reason to know!

In any event, if you are happy with their response, thank your lucky stars you weren't injured and enjoy the bike. You might ask them to check and torque all the other fasteners while they repair the bike - they'll get the message.

Fred
I was sort of surprised by the $300 make ready/inspection that came with my used 2009 650. When I got home I noticed a handful of loose stuff and mis-aligned bits. I had wondered why on the whole 5hr night ride home from the dealer that the lights sucked...they were pointed at the ground. And I couldn't figure out why the right front blinker was blinding me, it had popped out and was facing more towards me than forward.

Still a couple of loose things I am finding two months later. So much for 100 (or whatever) points of inspection with a used BMW from a BMW dealer.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:33 PM   #1360
ThatGuy
Brownie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
A good part of the service DVD is now on youtube. If you don't find it PM me :o)
Thanks! I received an email from Haynes today that said they aren't making a manual covering the '13.
I like having a copy with me, it's worth packing IMHO.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:11 PM   #1361
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieO View Post

I've seen many of those handy nuts snap right off when trying to remove the filter so be sure to lube up the gasket and don't overtorque it when installing. Or at least have a plan B for removal.

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:17 PM   #1362
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
My plan B is to drive a long straight screw driver through it like it was Dracula and then get it off haha, or a big pair of channel locks....
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:24 AM   #1363
Captain Excellent
+ll+

Oddometer: 166
Breather tube water intake
I've searched and didn't find anything about this, so here goes. I noticed the breather tube on the '13 F8GS, runs right down to by the LH foot peg. (Periodically drips fuel down there.) the location is probably the same on all years as well as the 650 twin and the new 700.
I was wondering with a prolonged water crossing, say a few hundred feet or so, if the belly of the bike is in water, isn't there a chance of sucking water into the fuel, perhaps leading to a mid fording stall?
Anyone have this experience?
Remember this is the stupid question discussion!
Old 05-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #1364
ADVer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
I thought this issue with the breather hose was fixed a couple of years ago with a recall.
See here
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...4#post12947544

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...3#post12950413

I had this done on my early 2010 F800gs around 2010-11. Strange that the new ones would still come that way unless there is some kinda new routing

ADVer screwed with this post 05-07-2013 at 07:54 PM
ADVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:20 PM   #1365
ThatGuy
Brownie

Anyone have some pics of their aux light set ups for the '13. Looking for mounting point ideas. Love this thread!