Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 07:19 AM   #1396
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,276
If you want to know what the manual used to say about oil, it was 10/40 Motorcycle Grade and change it every 6000 miles. Since they did not redesign the motor you could get by with that. I just buy the least expensive motorcycle grade from Kragen. Note the words "motorcycle grade" that is quite important. Dave
Old 05-12-2013, 07:51 AM   #1397
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,707
Amsoil is good stuff, but $9.50 per quart.........ouch! That's $38 per gallon. You can buy other good synthetics cheaper, around $25 per gallon, if you're not brand loyal. Personally, I usually buy whatever is "on-sale".

BMW doesn't blend their own oil (to my knowledge), but it's still a pretty good conventional lube stock. I had to purchase it once, in a pinch (cringe). The story has been told before, but maybe worth repeating (for new inmates):

I had developed a steady oil leak from the water pump weep hole. There is small o-ring on the water pump shaft (on the oil side) that started leaking. I had started running a synthetic about 6 months prior...forget which one exactly.

I rode about 7 hours to the dealer for a cracked fuel tank (warranty) replacement. During this ride, the oil started leaking out the weep hole enough to coat my right pant leg in the wind. The dealer (Gateway in St. Louis) suggested trying the conventional BMW oil before tearing into the bike. I gave it a go, and by the time I returned to home, the leak had completely stopped. Been over a year, and it's never leaked again.

I've got spare gaskets and a new o-ring for the water pump shaft waiting in my garage, but never needed to get in there yet. I've just stayed with their conventional oil since, because its working well. It does bother me, that I'm not running even cheaper oil!

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:56 AM   #1398
Bumbobee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
But according to tests a lot of the so called "synthetics" aren't even full 100 % synthetics, most are just blends. In Canada we aren't so lucky with motorcycle synthetic specials, we really don't have a huge selection. If it costs 38 $ once per year that's good enough :P
Bumbobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:47 AM   #1399
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,726
I seem to remember the oil spec changing over the the years and even differences between "official" European vs the US specs at one time. The alternative to the BMW oil was/is Castrol 10/40.

Since BMW oil is rebadged, I suspect they change suppliers occasionally and the different specs are the result.

Old habits are hard to break, so I change my oil every 3,000 miles and because of the short use time, use conventional oil. It may be nonsense, but I worry about that long cam chain and an oil pressurized cam tensioner that really is not. I think oil viscosity is pretty important in these bike.

I think it works, I have never had a hint of chain clatter.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:50 AM   #1400
moe.ron
What a friggin' putz

Oddometer: 2,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbobee View Post
I'm going to be switching over to Amsoil 10w40 at the 6000 mile mark, at 9.50 a quart it can't be beat :) and I'm pretty sure it's better than BMW oil.
Is this a synthetic, blend. or mineral based oil? Amsoil is good stuff for sure.

All I meant was I didn't mind paying a little extra because its only 3 quarts.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #1401
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Old habits are hard to break, so I change my oil every 3,000 miles and because of the short use time, use conventional oil. It may be nonsense, but I worry about that long cam chain and an oil pressurized cam tensioner that really is not. I think oil viscosity is pretty important in these bike.

I think it works, I have never had a hint of chain clatter.
+1 This is an excellent point.

FYI: The typical process at a lubricants blending facility is to gang-run large batches of "like" oil. In other words, gather up all the orders for 10w-40 and run one big batch....blending the mix for the most stringent spec in the orders. Then, all the bottles get filled with that oil regardless of which label is put on the bottle. We actually heat molded and labeled the bottles on the filling line, just prior to filling and case packing, when I was the plant engineer.

This is why it usually says on the bottle "meets or exceeds the following specifications...." Pep Boys never complained about getting oil in their bottle which met Ford Motorcrafts specification (far more stringent than required by PB). That's just one real example, during my time working in a refinery.

If a client wanted a specific ingredient of their own, they had to pay a whole lot more for a dedicated batch. Cost per quart would be way higher, in this case, versus the common batch. This was a very rare occurrence during my tenure.

HF

Ps. Synthetics and synthetic blends are really good quality these days. There are a lot of possible benefits ....quieter running engine, easier shifting, etc. the biggest advantage is "longer lasting". The component properties don't break down as fast as they due in conventional blends when subject to extended periods of high temperature and shear loads. So, if you're spending more money for synthetics, you can usually run a lot longer intervals.

If you're going to change the oil frequently (anyway)....like Itsatdm....there's no reason you can't run cheaper conventional oil, and expect good results. Most motor failures are caused by something other than the lubricant stock itself.
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:45 PM   #1402
Bumbobee
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok guys new special question :P

I want to get an exhaust for my bike, what are my options? I saw Akrapovic makes one on the BMW site, I'm not familiar with manufactures for this bike.

Also, if I get a slip on, do I need a new map or some kind of retune, or can I get away with the stock map? Does the computer auto adjust at all?

How about air filter?

I would like something a little louder and deeper, the stock one I can't even hear at speed, the bike is so quiet.

And just to give you an idea this is the bike and exhaust I'm coming from lol, so something not as loud as this, my neighbors would hate me (again) ahah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIwwbCVDcyc
Bumbobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:05 AM   #1403
Schai
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_C_Ries View Post
where does everybody keep their registration and insurance papers on a F800GS?
On my F800GS, I use the small storage pocket under the seat, originally intended for a European required first aid kit. I have a plastic laminator and laminate the papers to protect from water.

However, for many years, on all my dirt bikes, I laminate the papers, fold and tape them to the underside of the license plate. It takes a screwdriver and maybe a wrench to get to them, but that's only once a year for the renewal. I've only been asked to show the papers 3 times in 20 years, and one was last weekend as part of the sign-in for an Advanced Rider course!
Schai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:37 AM   #1404
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_C_Ries View Post
where does everybody keep their registration and insurance papers on a F800GS?
At home if I'm in the country (our police are connected)

In my tank bag if I'm outside of the country.

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:46 AM   #1405
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:

I want to get an exhaust for my bike, what are my options? I saw Akrapovic makes one on the BMW site, I'm not familiar with manufactures for this bike.

Also, if I get a slip on, do I need a new map or some kind of retune, or can I get away with the stock map? Does the computer auto adjust at all?

How about air filter?

I would like something a little louder and deeper, the stock one I can't even hear at speed, the bike is so quiet.

And just to give you an idea this is the bike and exhaust I'm coming from lol, so something not as loud as this, my neighbors would hate me (again) ahah

I have the Akrapovic sold by BMW. It does not require a re-map, it just bolts on. It has a removable baffle - baffle in, it's deeper and throatier than stock but not actually much louder. Baffle out it sounds glorious and has a lovely pop on overrun, but it's on the threshold of social acceptability.

Fitting/removing the baffle is a 5 minute job with a T-handle or socket driver with extension bar.

I believe the Akrapovic version you buy from Akrapovic is identical, but cheaper.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:02 AM   #1406
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squelch View Post
This may be a dumb question - I'm picking up a new F800GS in a couple of weeks, and it comes with the BMW saddlebag mounts. Are the BMW bags the only ones that will fit on there? If so, I will buy them when I get the bike, since I get a discount on accessories purchased at time of sale. If I can put other bags on those mounts I will get something else. Thanks!
AFAIK there are no other panniers that fit the factory mounts,
(and believe me I've looked ... ).
It's a shame since the mounts are secure and not a "visual distraction" like most other mounting frames when the panniers are not installed.
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:35 PM   #1407
exotesthrasouden
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:

How about air filter?

I've got the Holeshot option. It sounds good and looks simple. Not too expensive and specifically designed for the 800.

- 2009 BMW F800GS
exotesthrasouden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #1408
Bumbobee
Gnarly Adventurer

^

That's not bad, are there any videos of the sound?

I am doing research here on these forums and it looks like the leo vince and a lot of other exhausts are even quieter than the stock? WTF?

I want an exhaust that is louder than stock and preferably carbon fiber that does not require repacking, does anything like this exist?
Old 05-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #1409
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,726
I have the carbon Leo Vince and it is not quieter than stock unless you put in the very restrictive disc with holes in it. It supposedly is for the Euro market. Not only quiet, but restrictive enough to effect performance.

It has already mounted a reducer baffle that is only a ring that fits into the tail end of the muffler. Louder than stock, especially at idle.

You can remove that also if you want to annoy your neighbors.

As to the fueling issue with aftermarket pipes, the ECU is very adaptive. I have an accelerator module to richen it up when the system is in open loop.

Whether is has the ability to adjust to a system with a free flowing pipe, air filter and headers is unknown to me. For a basic understanding of how the fuel injection and software work, this is a good explanation.
http://www.boosterplug.com/shop/cms-24.html It will depend on the number of map possibilities stored in the stock ECU.

I suspect it is broad enough to cover any mod while the system is in closed loop. Not so sure whether it is broad enough in open loop. That is based on my observation of a stock bike on a dyno, which should have been in open loop only achieving an AFR of 14.2.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #1410
Bumbobee
Gnarly Adventurer

^

Thanks for the info. I like the look of the leo vince carbon. I read somewhere on these forums that the exhaust performs very well with everything inside of it, but once you start taking out stuff the bike doesn't run as well?

But you're saying that if everything is in it it affects performance? Makes it worse?