Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #1411
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbobee View Post
^

That's not bad, are there any videos of the sound?

I am doing research here on these forums and it looks like the leo vince and a lot of other exhausts are even quieter than the stock? WTF?

I want an exhaust that is louder than stock and preferably carbon fiber that does not require repacking, does anything like this exist?
No. All aftermarket pipes are of the repacking type. That said. I would expect you can easily get over 5 years on the LV pipe.
Sounds clips are seen here....

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667297

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #1412
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
^

Thanks for the info. I like the look of the leo vince carbon. I read somewhere on these forums that the exhaust performs very well with everything inside of it, but once you start taking out stuff the bike doesn't run as well?

But you're saying that if everything is in it it affects performance? Makes it worse?
Bike will not make any more power with the pipe added. It will appear as such, due to the fact it is louder. Even with headers in addition to the pipe, perhaps 1-2 hp..... Nothing really happens until you change the Fueling. The stock is barely able to compensate to the pipe. If in fact the boosterplug overall en-ritchens the bike, then it would be a good addition, but a correct fueling module would be better, and cost more.

Erling
Old 05-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #1413
Bumbobee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
^

The scorpion one on the revzilla site says it doesn't need a repacking.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:26 PM   #1414
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,613
The restrictive plate is not installed. Mine came with the ring installed. One screw is all that holds it in place.

I took the ring out and did not like the noise, so run like it came. I don't think it is restrictive all. It is a straight through muffler that has curve in the perforated core that helps quiet it. I have had it a couple of years and no louder than new. I hope it does not need repacking because both ends are riveted.

Like all of these add ons I detected a noticeable performance improvement

Since it does not come with a spark arrester, I added one internally in the front of the muffler. I hope it meets the intent of the law, but there are only 2 enforcement rangers in the entire forest. What are the odds?
Old 05-13-2013, 06:31 PM   #1415
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
^

I have yet to see a baffle type design aftermarket pipe. I believe they are all of perf. core with glass wrapped. They are getting better at developing the glass material, but it will eventually burn/blow out. Like the Two bros..... claiming to last really long time, but packed sooooo hard in there, thus sooooo loud.

Erling
Old 05-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #1416
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
Quote:
^

I have one I got through Metal Mule with the balanced rack system and I believe it is scorpion. I've put 60k kms on it and it's the same tone as it originally was. I never got that much life out of a glass wrapped pipe before. I am therefore inclined to think it must be of a baffle design.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:11 AM   #1417
Pangia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Cool2 Metal Mule / Scorpion Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner View Post
I have one I got through Metal Mule with the balanced rack system and I believe it is scorpion. I've put 60k kms on it and it's the same tone as it originally was. I never got that much life out of a glass wrapped pipe before. I am therefore inclined to think it must be of a baffle design.
I just installed the Metal Mule Scorpion Pipe on my 2013 F800GS and now have 59K less on it than Bayner above... I noticed a slight increase in power delivery and less weight. I tried removing the insert / spark arrestor with holes in it and it felt like that there may not be enough back pressure - (not that I really know if that matters) - just a hunch, so I put it back in.
Pangia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #1418
Pangia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Rear Shock Adjustment

I have a 2013 F800GS and am riding 60% - 70% off road. From relatively smooth forest service roads to old, rutted, rocky jeep roads in New Mexico. I weight 170 + 20 lbs gear + 10LBs on rear rack = 200 LBS. I tend to ride conservatively on asphalt and treat it like an enduro off road (I know, it is not).

What are some basic steps I can take to better to understand the rear shock adjustments and fine tune it for my riding? For example:

1. Adjust Rider SAG for my weight
2. Fine tune by experimenting with preload and dampening adjustments…1-2 clicks. (which direction?…what to anticipate as a result?)
3. Ride, take note, fine tune again?

I understand that there is a rear shock bolt issue and that I may eventually go with an aftermarket shock, and upgrade the bolt, but for now, what is a good baseline starting point adjustment with the stock rear shock and what are incremental adjustments and the relative performance aspects I might notice off road, and on?

What adjustments would I make when I add a camping load? (Just increase preload?)

I have looked at this thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=776029&page=2

Simple guidelines and suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!!
Pangia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:03 AM   #1419
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
You have the correct steps outlined. Preload adjustment depends on the type of offroad riding you're doing. For very low speed technical stuff I took out some preload and sped up the rebound damping (counter-clockwise) to make the suspension more compliant and comfortable. I just adjusted by feel, not by # of clicks.

For high speed with water bars or other things I crank the preload up pretty high to keep it from bottoming out, and just about max out the rebound damping (almost all the way clockwise). This isn't as comfortable over lots of little bumps but it keeps the rear end from throwing you up and bouncing like a pogo stick on water bars or whoops.

I tend to adjust the suspension a lot based on where I'm riding and the conditions. I don't have any set positions, just go by feel. I upgraded the suspension front and rear and it makes a world of difference on and off road.
epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #1420
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangia View Post
What adjustments would I make when I add a camping load? (Just increase preload?)

I have looked at this thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=776029&page=2

Simple guidelines and suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!!
I've done two 1,000+ mile trips fully loaded (230kg/500lb total weight, 6kg under its max rated spec). I max the preload and rebound, then back each off a full turn. Bike handles great in all weather on all types of roads. Weighted down like that I avoid any horribly surfaced trails, but reasonably good quality gravel/dirt roads are not a problem. Mine is a 2012 Trophy and suspension connectors/mounts etc are still straight and look like new).

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:12 PM   #1421
bogboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Diagnostics

I just picked up a 10 f800gs. Great bike. After reading about oil changes I found out a service light comes on to tell you when to do service. I talked to 2 BMW dealers and they said they are the only ones that can shut off the service reminders. Is there an after market diagnostic tool or tools? I hope there is , I like working on my bikes. The warranty will be up soon anyway
bogboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:10 PM   #1422
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,160
oil & bogboy ...

BWM did change the spec. for the oil on the twins:

http://www.bmw-motorrad.dk/se/sv/services/media/PI_OlL_BMW_MC_2012_MD.pdf

Bogboy:

The only alternative to the dealer for the service light and diagnostics is: the GS-911 http://www.hexcode.co.za/

JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:07 AM   #1423
bogboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Bogboy:

The only alternative to the dealer for the service light and diagnostics is: the GS-911 http://www.hexcode.co.za/

Thanx

[/QUOTE]
bogboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:11 AM   #1424
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,672
Or.....just ignore it. Honestly, I don't even notice it anymore. Hope it burns out someday.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:04 AM   #1425
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Or.....just ignore it. Honestly, I don't even notice it anymore. Hope it burns out someday.

HF
Exactly! It's not like it's red and flashy. My fear is that when it finally does get turned off it's "ghost" will still be there as a reminder.

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is online now   Reply With Quote