Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #136
KayaKTM OP
Day trippin'

Oddometer: 405
sweet, keep us posted. i'm gonna have to figure something out about extra fuel but for the price i may just go with the little Giant Loop Moji.

http://www.giantloopmoto.com/product...vitm-saddlebag

it seem like it would make more sense, and be more cost effective than an actual tank and it will hold 3 litres or fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotyred View Post
Fitted the Safari tank to my FE450 between Xmas and New Years. Not quite straight forward, but that was more due to the fact I am running B&B Offroad radiator guards and case saver. Had to file some off the bottom of the louvres on the radiator guards and I added another layer of fuel hose as added protection when I ran the fuel line around the outside of the case saver.

Will be going for a big ride on Monday to try out the new rig. Will get back to you to let you know how it all works out.

Religions change; beer and wine remain. Harvey Allen
KayaKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:25 PM   #137
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Rode a friends 570 on the ice Saturday and realized why I sold mine.... way to cramped and small for me. Do you guys really make them comfortable if you're tall with bar risers, dropped pegs and a tall seat? I don't see it happening

Here is Nate riding the hell out of his 570...

I was faster on my SE I think

Is it just not a bike for a big guy? I was ready to buy another one but am having second thoughts.

Thanks
Old 01-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #138
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,631
FE Luggage

What's everybody using for luggage?

Is the Coyote the rear bag of choice? Any options for saddlebags?
Scratch that...would never think of puttin saddlebags with frames on this sweet bike.

Tryin to find a way not to take this bike on a multi-day dual sport adventure is gettin tough...

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:32 PM   #139
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,631
Cranky, Running a Motorsportz SD on mine. Ergos work well for me with a tall seat, but you've got another few inches on me. I think you could make it work with all the above plus lowered pegs.

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:41 PM   #140
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Wheeler View Post
Cranky, Running a Motorsportz SD on mine. Ergos work well for me with a tall seat, but you've got another few inches on me. I think you could make it work with all the above plus lowered pegs.
I'm also wider and I was all over the bike, it felt like a mini bike I did two laps and gave it back....

For the record, I didn't mean to make it sound like I was faster than Nate, he was much faster on his 570 than I was on the SE.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:56 PM   #141
dirtyoffroad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Rode a friends 570 on the ice Saturday and realized why I sold mine.... way to cramped and small for me. Do you guys really make them comfortable if you're tall with bar risers, dropped pegs and a tall seat? I don't see it happening

Here is Nate riding the hell out of his 570...

I was faster on my SE I think

Is it just not a bike for a big guy? I was ready to buy another one but am having second thoughts.

Thanks
I agree Crank,my Berg feels more compact than my XRR,but I'm only 5'8" and thats why I do the majority of my offroading on it.
dirtyoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:58 PM   #142
SixdayJ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
I'm also wider and I was all over the bike, it felt like a mini bike I did two laps and gave it back....

For the record, I didn't mean to make it sound like I was faster than Nate, he was much faster on his 570 than I was on the SE.

How tall and wide are you Crank?? I'm 6'2" and 220 before gear. I was wondering how I would fit. TIA
Old 01-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #143
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixdayJ View Post
How tall and wide are you Crank?? I'm 6'2" and 220 before gear. I was wondering how I would fit. TIA
6-3 240#'s bare ass, so with gear and all, probably 255-260
The other problem I have is my limbs are long and my knees are bad from working construction all my life, so standing on the pegs from a crouched position is tough on a cramped bike. Pictures are worth a 1000 words....

Old 01-03-2011, 03:18 PM   #144
WrldRiderWC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I'm 5'9 and 170 lbs. It feels about right but I am going to raise the handle bar an inch or so than it will feel a lot better.
WrldRiderWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:45 PM   #145
34for40dave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
XRR vs Berg 390/450/570

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyoffroad View Post
I agree Crank,my Berg feels more compact than my XRR,but I'm only 5'8" and thats why I do the majority of my offroading on it.
Dirty,

Glad to hear you have an XRR. I sold my XRR recently and am thinking of replacing with a Berg. I need an honest comparison between the two bikes.

The XRR proved to be to big for tight woods riding and beginner racing (I am the beginner). Trying to kickstart after dumping with the engine hot also led to the eventual sale.

I have bought into the hype of the Berg without having ridden one yet. I liked the torque of the XRR but could not handle the weight or lack of maneuverability in the woods. How would you compare the two?

I want to a dual sport ride which is what I did with the XRR riding it rather comfortably down the highway at 80 MPH.

Dave

Trans-Americas World Record Holder - 27:7:52

www.34for40.org

2005 XR650R
1976 FLH

34for40dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:52 PM   #146
SixdayJ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
6-3 240#'s bare ass, so with gear and all, probably 255-260
The other problem I have is my limbs are long and my knees are bad from working construction all my life, so standing on the pegs from a crouched position is tough on a cramped bike. Pictures are worth a 1000 words....

You are like my kid, at 6'9" he makes a 300 look like a mini bike! So is the 'Berg more or less cramped than the RFS? or the same?
Old 01-03-2011, 04:03 PM   #147
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixdayJ View Post
You are like my kid, at 6'9" he makes a 300 look like a mini bike! So is the 'Berg more or less cramped than the RFS? or the same?
More cramped than the RFS, no doubt. I can ride the RFS bikes without too much effort. Tall seat is all I really need but they are still cramped.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:05 PM   #148
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,636
I am 6'3" about 195 nekid..... I run no bar risers, stock bars in the mid (or back one from mid) position. Stock foot pegs (tweaked a little) and a tall seat.

Works for me, I love the ergo's for aggressive riding. I run mid pack Vet A when I race.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:13 PM   #149
Woods Rooster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Wheeler View Post
What's everybody using for luggage?

Is the Coyote the rear bag of choice? Any options for saddlebags?
Scratch that...would never think of puttin saddlebags with frames on this sweet bike.

Tryin to find a way not to take this bike on a multi-day dual sport adventure is gettin tough...
We did a six day trail ride in Michigan this past summer. I picked up a pair of soft saddle bags (snow mobile saddle bags actually) at a swap meet for $15. The subframe is stiff enough to strap the bags over without flexing due to the weight when loaded. I drilled two holes through the inside of each saddle bag and through the side number plates. I bolted the saddlebags to the number plates using some big sheetmetal washers and wing nuts. I packed these bags to the gills and they did not flop around at all, even through the deep woops. Surprisingly, they did not get hung up on the trees going through the tight single track. Each night at the hotel I could unbolt the bags in a minute. I could not be happier with how well this system worked out.

It's better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission
Woods Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #150
dirtyoffroad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34for40dave View Post
Dirty,

Glad to hear you have an XRR. I sold my XRR recently and am thinking of replacing with a Berg. I need an honest comparison between the two bikes.

The XRR proved to be to big for tight woods riding and beginner racing (I am the beginner). Trying to kickstart after dumping with the engine hot also led to the eventual sale.

I have bought into the hype of the Berg without having ridden one yet. I liked the torque of the XRR but could not handle the weight or lack of maneuverability in the woods. How would you compare the two?

I want to a dual sport ride which is what I did with the XRR riding it rather comfortably down the highway at 80 MPH.

Dave
Dave I think the Berg is only 20 lbs lighter,but feels much more when riding.Both my bikes are registered here in NH with the Berg being my choice when primarily offroading.I geared the XRR taller for more practical street riding,and yes after owning a couple bikes with the ease of e-start it kinda sucks to kick start.
dirtyoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote