Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2011, 06:42 PM   #151
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,483
Crank...

6'3" here....

tall bars, under bar mount, Pivot pegs in the "low" position (great for those knees), tall seat...
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:17 PM   #152
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods Rooster View Post
We did a six day trail ride in Michigan this past summer. I picked up a pair of soft saddle bags (snow mobile saddle bags actually) at a swap meet for $15. The subframe is stiff enough to strap the bags over without flexing due to the weight when loaded. I drilled two holes through the inside of each saddle bag and through the side number plates. I bolted the saddlebags to the number plates using some big sheetmetal washers and wing nuts. I packed these bags to the gills and they did not flop around at all, even through the deep woops. Surprisingly, they did not get hung up on the trees going through the tight single track. Each night at the hotel I could unbolt the bags in a minute. I could not be happier with how well this system worked out.
WR, Got any pics that you could post of your setup?

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:18 PM   #153
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
Crank...

6'3" here....

tall bars, under bar mount, Pivot pegs in the "low" position (great for those knees), tall seat...
Safari tank Nowwhat? How do ya like it? I heard you had to hack up a set of shrouds to get the seat to seal at the airbox. Is that true?

What's your range now?

Old 01-03-2011, 07:20 PM   #154
coronaberg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
fuel

What kind of milage are you guys getting?
coronaberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:21 PM   #155
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronaberg View Post
What kind of milage are you guys getting?
Thrashin it (granted my thrash pace is slow) I'll get 50-60 miles to the tank.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:27 PM   #156
PABiker
Anywhere but here

Oddometer: 3,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Wheeler View Post
What's everybody using for luggage?

Is the Coyote the rear bag of choice? Any options for saddlebags?
Scratch that...would never think of puttin saddlebags with frames on this sweet bike.

Tryin to find a way not to take this bike on a multi-day dual sport adventure is gettin tough...
Wolfman Enduro tankbag, saddlebags, and duffel.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #157
KayaKTM OP
Day trippin'

Oddometer: 405
hmm, i'm a little confused here.

i had a KTM 200 ('05), and an KTM XC4 450 ('08) and find the Berg to feel bigger than both of those bikes. the bars mounted in the front position feel further away from the peg/seat position than on my XC4 450 (which is still in the garage, for side by side comparison) and the bars feel taller in relation to the seat position. this is without Fastway Pegs on the Berg but with the Fastway's on the 450 (when i get paid at the end of Jan. i'll be getting another set of the Fastway's for the Berg).

so what's the deal, am i the only one that thinks the Berg feels bigger than the KTM? Bart at GDR Products says when his taller racers want a stabilizer they put low bars on to keep the bar position. i would agree with this, i got a set of the woods high (PT Contour) that i've been running for the last 5 years on my KTM's and they feel too tall on the Berg to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixdayJ View Post
You are like my kid, at 6'9" he makes a 300 look like a mini bike! So is the 'Berg more or less cramped than the RFS? or the same?

Religions change; beer and wine remain. Harvey Allen
KayaKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #158
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Seat to peg is where the Berg feels smaller to me. Other ergos I've set up as close to my old 525 as possible.

Like the Berg and won't be going back to Orange. Blue bike feels way better on single track and just as good on open stuff.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:09 AM   #159
KayaKTM OP
Day trippin'

Oddometer: 405
i can see where the Berg might feel slightly smaller seat to peg than the KTM (i guess someone could measure it?) with the stock seat. hard for me to tell for sure as i don't have matching pegs yet for comparison.

i've got a buddy with an FX450 and a tall seat and it felt better than my 390 as far as seat to peg and i'm only 5'9".

as far as the gone Blue thing goes, i'm not completely sold yet, but the Berg feels better each time i ride it. i had over 200 hrs. on my '08 450 XCRW (tagged), it was near perfect out of the box and i had it setup for about 170 of the 200+hrs. Being fair to the Berg, I think it'd be hard for any bike to make me feel more comfortable and confident than i do on that 450.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Wheeler View Post
Seat to peg is where the Berg feels smaller to me. Other ergos I've set up as close to my old 525 as possible.

Like the Berg and won't be going back to Orange. Blue bike feels way better on single track and just as good on open stuff.

Religions change; beer and wine remain. Harvey Allen
KayaKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:06 PM   #160
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Safari Tank....

Nope...no cutting...take the old shrouds off and hang them on the wall...put the tank on....go 125-145 miles....10 minutes and you for get it is there....

The EXC feels like a bigger bike to me....but with the ergos set up the Berg fits perfect...

145 hours on it now...
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Old 01-04-2011, 02:09 PM   #161
chief_lee_visceral
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Hi all,

I am considering a FE 570S. There is nothing to keep you from mounting the Safari as well as the 70 Degree Racing aux tank is there?
chief_lee_visceral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:47 PM   #162
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief_lee_visceral View Post
Hi all,

I am considering a FE 570S. There is nothing to keep you from mounting the Safari as well as the 70 Degree Racing aux tank is there?
3 gas tanks?....

any reason you would not just go safari and in the rare case that you need 1 gallon more just carry a 6L dromedary bag

http://www.moontrail.com/hydration/m...ntainers-6.php
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Old 01-04-2011, 04:39 PM   #163
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayaKTM View Post

i've got a buddy with an FX450 and a tall seat and it felt better than my 390 as far as seat to peg and i'm only 5'9".
Its not a simple thing to compare. I'm 6-3 with a 34" inseam but my arms are also really long. My "wingspan" from tip of one middle finger to the next while outstretched is 75" The seat to peg is one issue but I can't sit far enough back to move my arms and you can only raise the bars so much.
The older RFS bikes seem to have a lot more rise in the front of the frame/steering head area and its easier for me. Comparing height is not an accurate comparison. The new style bikes are very flat across the top, you sit on them instead of into them.... if that makes any sense.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:14 PM   #164
TLtrials
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Bike set up

I guess it is just preference.....

I am 6-2, 34" inseam w/boots, 235 lbs. - 2009 FE450, Stock pegs, stock seat, stock bars with 3/4" hacked off of each side, KTM Powerparts progressive handlebar mounts, lowered the rear brake pedal, set the leavers to my liking, 48 springs in the front, 8.0 in the rear.

Raced for the last two seasons in hare scrambles and enduros and no complaints. I just ride it and have fun!
TLtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:17 PM   #165
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLtrials View Post
I guess it is just preference.....

I am 6-2, 34" inseam w/boots, 235 lbs. - 2009 FE450, Stock pegs, stock seat, stock bars with 3/4" hacked off of each side, KTM Powerparts progressive handlebar mounts, lowered the rear brake pedal, set the leavers to my liking, 48 springs in the front, 8.0 in the rear.

Raced for the last two seasons in hare scrambles and enduros and no complaints. I just ride it and have fun!
It really is preference, no doubt... just like oil