ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 07:33 PM   #166
TLtrials
Gnarly Adventurer
 
TLtrials's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: NW North Carolina
Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief_lee_visceral View Post
Hi all,

I am considering a FE 570S. There is nothing to keep you from mounting the Safari as well as the 70 Degree Racing aux tank is there?
I just brought a FE 570S home last week, the charcoal canister and pump will require removal to allow the 70 Degree Tank install. I have not start the install on mine yet, have been to busy to work on it. I hope to have it done in a few weeks with some photos.
TLtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:58 AM   #167
chief_lee_visceral
Gnarly Adventurer
 
chief_lee_visceral's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLtrials View Post
I just brought a FE 570S home last week, the charcoal canister and pump will require removal to allow the 70 Degree Tank install. I have not start the install on mine yet, have been to busy to work on it. I hope to have it done in a few weeks with some photos.
Cool deal... I will watch for it. Charcoal canister is usually a California only deal. Did Husaberg install one on all the bikes?
chief_lee_visceral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:03 AM   #168
chief_lee_visceral
Gnarly Adventurer
 
chief_lee_visceral's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
3 gas tanks?....

any reason you would not just go safari and in the rare case that you need 1 gallon more just carry a 6L dromedary bag

http://www.moontrail.com/hydration/m...ntainers-6.php
Have 200+ mile range now on a WR250R and got spoiled. Probably don't need it. Just greedy.
chief_lee_visceral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:15 PM   #169
Tarheel Wheeler
Around
 
Tarheel Wheeler's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: A53, NC
Oddometer: 3,629
TL, Check you pms.
__________________
Adversity is the state in which man most easily becomes acquainted with himself, being especially free of admirers then. John Wooden

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:25 PM   #170
TLtrials
Gnarly Adventurer
 
TLtrials's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: NW North Carolina
Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief_lee_visceral View Post
Cool deal... I will watch for it. Charcoal canister is usually a California only deal. Did Husaberg install one on all the bikes?
I think for 2011 it is just on the street going machines that have the canister - FE570S Dual Sport and the FS570 Supermoto. I have not seen them on any other models.
TLtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #171
Grape_Ape
It Feels Good
 
Grape_Ape's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: SW PA
Oddometer: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrigue_262000 View Post
I'm planning on pulling the trigger on a new bike before spring. Talk me out of a wr450 and into a Fe450.
PM sent.
Grape_Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:40 PM   #172
hockeylife
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Oddometer: 44
FE570 vs KTM 530Exc vs BMW g450x??

Selling my GS Adv and going back to a thumper. Planned on the BMW, great prices for leftover, but wanted to take a look at the KTM in person yesterday. While at the KTM dealer, after leaving the BMW shop, saw for the first time a Husaberg in person. Must say came away quite impressed. What is it that attracts you guys to them as I'm not too familiar with the brand. The engine location is interesting, even growing on me. So how do these 3 compare, or do they in your mind? What do you guys think of the pricing, if you do? Thanks
hockeylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:46 PM   #173
Tarheel Wheeler
Around
 
Tarheel Wheeler's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: A53, NC
Oddometer: 3,629
I'd take either the blue or the orange KTM over the BMW. That said, the Berg FI and small bike feel is what sold me. Can't go wrong with either the 570 or the 530.

Better to compare the g450x to the FE450 or 450EXC, and then therE's still not much of a comparison to be made.

Good luck with your search. Make sure you ride all 3.
__________________
Adversity is the state in which man most easily becomes acquainted with himself, being especially free of admirers then. John Wooden

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE

Tarheel Wheeler screwed with this post 01-11-2011 at 07:15 AM
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:43 PM   #174
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...
 
Nowwhat's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: On the Ground Laughing
Oddometer: 4,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylife View Post
Selling my GS Adv and going back to a thumper. Planned on the BMW, great prices for leftover, but wanted to take a look at the KTM in person yesterday. While at the KTM dealer, after leaving the BMW shop, saw for the first time a Husaberg in person. Must say came away quite impressed. What is it that attracts you guys to them as I'm not too familiar with the brand. The engine location is interesting, even growing on me. So how do these 3 compare, or do they in your mind? What do you guys think of the pricing, if you do? Thanks

the Berg has surprised me with its dependability....145 hours...no issues...knock on wood...

5 minute oil changes...change the oil at 15 hours and you want to re-bottle the oil...it still looks that good...
__________________
'14 1190R...Adventure Beast
'13 690 Quest...Rally Beast
950SE......Desert Beast
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:30 PM   #175
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer
 
nobrakes's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: North Carolina
Oddometer: 3,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylife View Post
What is it that attracts you guys to them as I'm not too familiar with the brand. The engine location is interesting, even growing on me. So how do these 3 compare, or do they in your mind? What do you guys think of the pricing, if you do? Thanks
The EFI is spot-on, make sure you get the competition map loaded, though. It's like having a jetting expert jet your bike before each ride, no burbles, no bogs, no flat spots - makes for 100% confidence that it won't let you down at just the wrong time and send you endo. Your riding will improve as a result.

The air intake is up high out of the dirt and dust. Easy filter changes - just a single pull quick release and the seat comes off, then air filter comes right out. Also should allow for deeper water crossings, should go all the way to just below the seat before it starts sucking water.

Centralized mass from carrying the heavy fuel low and central and pulling the crank mass back toward the center of the bike, and greatly reduced gyro effect make turning pretty spectacular. It's almost telepathic, like it knows what you want to do before you do.

Since Husaberg is owned by KTM and they are made in the same factory, you get top shelf parts and components, fit and finish, and the build quality is top notch, just like modern KTMs.

I noticed a pretty big difference coming off an older RFS based KTM. I loved that RFS engine it has great characteristics, but the handling of the 'berg is far superior for me. While you're riding it, it feels so much lighter than it really is. I can't compare to newer RC4 based KTMs since I don't have experience on them, though.

As TW said, though, best if you ride them all and compare. One man's perfect bike is another's ho-hum. I fell in love with the new 'bergs when they first came out based on the tech and specs, but I didn't buy right away. Then about 2 years later I got the chance to ride one, and it only took that one ride for me to know everything you read about the handling and throttle response is true. Two weeks after that, I owned one. So if you ride one, make sure you are ready to buy, because you won't be able to think about anything else until you do.
__________________
“It’s habits that make us, and habits that break us.”

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:35 AM   #176
Dahlin
Need more time...
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Rofors, Sweden
Oddometer: 166
Hello,

I am new in this thread, brought home a new left over 2009 Husaberg FE570 (street legal) last friday.

Since it is winter here and my Yamaha is equipped with studded tires, I will be riding that bike until the snow and ice clears. Until then I will look for cool stuff for my 570.
I am 1.95 meters tall and riding weight is about 110Kg / 240 lb, what springs should I go for?
My dealer recommends 4.8 N/mm front and around 80 N/mm rear.
I can not be the only heavy person riding a Husaberg, what springs do you use?
The bike will be used for enduro and maybe at the dirt track now and then.
__________________
2003 Honda CB1300
2009 Yamaha XT660Z
2009 Husaberg FE570
2012 Husaberg FE390
Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:20 AM   #177
Tarheel Wheeler
Around
 
Tarheel Wheeler's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: A53, NC
Oddometer: 3,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlin View Post
Hello,

I am new in this thread, brought home a new left over 2009 Husaberg FE570 (street legal) last friday.

Since it is winter here and my Yamaha is equipped with studded tires, I will be riding that bike until the snow and ice clears. Until then I will look for cool stuff for my 570.
I am 1.95 meters tall and riding weight is about 110Kg / 240 lb, what springs should I go for?
My dealer recommends 4.8 N/mm front and around 80 N/mm rear.
I can not be the only heavy person riding a Husaberg, what springs do you use?
The bike will be used for enduro and maybe at the dirt track now and then.

Welcome to the BERG World Dahlin.

I'm 210 lbs without kit and am riding 48/80 combo. The Berg suspension needs to be setup to maximize the great handling characteristics of the bike. Highly recommend letting a professional do the setup.

Enjoy your new bike!
__________________
Adversity is the state in which man most easily becomes acquainted with himself, being especially free of admirers then. John Wooden

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:52 PM   #178
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer
 
CodeMonkee's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Orygun
Oddometer: 5,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylife View Post
What is it that attracts you guys to them as I'm not too familiar with the brand. The engine location is interesting, even growing on me. So how do these 3 compare, or do they in your mind? What do you guys think of the pricing, if you do? Thanks
The quality of the handling and capabilities on trails. The bike is the most tractable I have ever ridden. IMO only an Ohlins suspension would be better than a properly setup WP suspension and from what I hear Ohlins no longer makes forks.

IMO, the Husaberg is top of the line (and you pay for it), then KTM, then Huskies/etc., with some BMWs being approaching the level of sophistication/quality of the Husky bikes.
__________________
'09 Husaberg FE570
'99 Beta Alp
'04 Ducati MTS - sold
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:57 PM   #179
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer
 
CodeMonkee's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Orygun
Oddometer: 5,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Wheeler View Post
I'm 210 lbs without kit and am riding 48/80 combo. The Berg suspension needs to be setup to maximize the great handling characteristics of the bike. Highly recommend letting a professional do the setup.
+1

I sent my suspension off to a local tuner expert (http://www.lt-racing.com/html/about_ltr.html) and what I got back made a world of difference. It is more than just the springs, but that is the place to start.

According to the card I got back I am running this (quoted): fork ".52", shock "-8 8.0/10.0" - not sure what that means.
__________________
'09 Husaberg FE570
'99 Beta Alp
'04 Ducati MTS - sold
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:05 PM   #180
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe
 
OhioPT's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Columbiana County, OH
Oddometer: 1,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
+1

I sent my suspension off to a local tuner expert (http://www.lt-racing.com/html/about_ltr.html) and what I got back made a world of difference. It is more than just the springs, but that is the place to start.

According to the card I got back I am running this (quoted): fork ".52", shock "-8 8.0/10.0" - not sure what that means.
You have a progressive shock spring, ranging from 8.0 kg/mm to 10.0 as the spring compresses more. the -8 probably refers to PDS-8. I'm running a progressive myself.
__________________
Mark
'11 KTM 250 XC (dual sported)
'05 KTM 450 EXC (dual sported)
OhioPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014