Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2012, 08:54 AM   #1966
McLeod
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
What dealership are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillwalker View Post
Thanks again, Cyborg. I took the plate out today and it is not too loud for me.

Regarding the fuel mapping, I saw HF's post on how it affected the performance of his bike and made sure to ask my dealer about it. I'm not 100% on the answer I received...dealer was fantastic overall and I would recommend them but I wasn't able to definitively confirm if the competition map was loaded.

Is there a way that I can check the mapping as an end-user?...in other words, can I buy some diagnostic tool to check it? Alternatively, I guess I could take it to another dealer to check it out...but they are fairly spread out in Texas. Sounds like it is worth it, though.

Many thanks for your help!
Old 03-29-2012, 01:09 PM   #1967
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillwalker View Post
Thanks again, Cyborg. I took the plate out today and it is not too loud for me.

Regarding the fuel mapping, I saw HF's post on how it affected the performance of his bike and made sure to ask my dealer about it. I'm not 100% on the answer I received...dealer was fantastic overall and I would recommend them but I wasn't able to definitively confirm if the competition map was loaded.

Is there a way that I can check the mapping as an end-user?...in other words, can I buy some diagnostic tool to check it? Alternatively, I guess I could take it to another dealer to check it out...but they are fairly spread out in Texas. Sounds like it is worth it, though.

Many thanks for your help!
If your dealer doesn't know for sure about whether the competition map is loaded or not, my guess is it isn't. It does not come from the factory that way and a dealer has to load it specifically with their programmer. If they don't have a record of that in their service dept, again my guess is it wasn't done.

As for your own diagnostics/programmer tool, they are quite expensive and I think I heard Husaberg stopped selling them to end users. Better would be just to get that dealer or another dealer to verify the competition map with their programmer tool, which they should do for no charge.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #1968
hillwalker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
OK, that is good advice. I will try to open the dialogue again with my dealer, and if that doesn't work, will talk to another dealer.

Rather not mention the dealer I purchased from...they really were fantastic to me overall. And, I would hate for this to get blown out of proportion.
hillwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:41 AM   #1969
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,743
I bought mine from TJ's in Austin. At the time, they were not familiar with this concept, and had not performed the task before on any of their bikes. So, I used a different dealer that does it automatically to every bike right out of the crate.

Don't be surprised if your original Dealer is not familiar with the routine. It probably just means no one has ever asked them to do it before.....and/or they haven't really been riding these bikes much for themselves. It doesn't mean they are a lousy Dealer. Quite the contrary, TJ has been great to work with. I just decided to send my ECU to somebody who has perfected the art.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project

HighFive screwed with this post 03-31-2012 at 06:46 AM
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:00 PM   #1970
Wander4Days
Where am I?

Oddometer: 131
Help! street wiring my berg...

Hoping some of you with more electrical experience that me can help a clueless bastard like me out. I am trying to fully dual sport my '11 FE390 by adding a brake light and all 4 turn signals. I know you can buy the Husaberg parts that supposedly plug and play but I settled on aftermarket switches and signals from Highway Dirtbikes and Baja Designs. I assumed the wiring would all be there for me to tap into but now that I've started tearing things apart it's not nearly as straight forward as I had hoped.

Questions:
-Can anyone identify the 4 open connectors that I show in the photos? 1,2, and 3 are below the gauge cluster(obviously) and 4 is under the seat.
-Is the wiring there somewhere for the rear signals or do I need to add the harness or run my own wires?
-Where will the rear brake switch plug into the system?
-WTF am I supposed to to with this LED flasher that I bought!?

Thanks for any help.

Also, sorry if any of these questions are already answered in the thread, but I couldn't make it through all 131 pages.

[IMG]wiring1[/IMG]

wiring2
Wander4Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #1971
McLeod
Gnarly Adventurer

I asked the dealership that is closest to me about at least checking to see what code was in the ECU or just putting the competition code in it. I got the blank stare look. I tried to explain what I wanted but didn't get through. That is why I was asking.

Who did you send your ECU off to HighFive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
I bought mine from TJ's in Austin. At the time, they were not familiar with this concept, and had not performed the task before on any of their bikes. So, I used a different dealer that does it automatically to every bike right out of the crate.

Don't be surprised if your original Dealer is not familiar with the routine. It probably just means no one has ever asked them to do it before.....and/or they haven't really been riding these bikes much for themselves. It doesn't mean they are a lousy Dealer. Quite the contrary, TJ has been great to work with. I just decided to send my ECU to somebody who has perfected the art.

HF
Old 04-01-2012, 04:33 PM   #1972
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod View Post
I asked the dealership that is closest to me about at least checking to see what code was in the ECU or just putting the competition code in it. I got the blank stare look. I tried to explain what I wanted but didn't get through. That is why I was asking.

McLeod, Genuine Dirt Racer in North Wilkesboro, NC will flash it for you.

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #1973
McLeod
Gnarly Adventurer

Awesome! Thank you.
I will give them a call tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Wheeler View Post
Old 04-01-2012, 10:52 PM   #1974
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Wheeler View Post
and on the other coast Tasky's Metric Cycle in Everett, WA are racers themselves, sponsor racers, are experts at the 'Berg programming and have done mine and many others.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:24 AM   #1975
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod View Post
Tasky's Metric Cycle....near Seattle, WA. Jeff Tasky is one superb dealer! With the Cyborg seal of approval, to boot.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #1976
KMK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
OK all you Berg pros, I have a couple of quick questions.

1) Aftermarket sidestand/ kickstand

Is there a part intended for the KTM that will bolt on?

I would like to run the Pro Moto Billet sidestand just not sure witch one would fit.

2) Nut inserts in fuel tank

I have had several incidents where the inserts (that hold the radiator shroud bolts) have been pulled out of the tank.

Previously the fix was to simply and carefully pop the inserts back into their cavity in the tank.

The problem now is I have lost two of the inserts, and it doesn't seem like this is a part that is available on its own (it is part of the fuel tank).

Has anyone else encountered this?

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Kevin
KMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:41 AM   #1977
Tslapper
#!

Oddometer: 6,653
Hey all,

New berg FE570 owner. This thing is awesome!

Over heated last week. Figure it's still pretty tight still but I was also just sitting waiting turn on an obstacle after a lot of slow stuff.

I had a fan kit sent up and I installed it last night. I think the fit is too tight but there's only one way to install the kit. It's on the bike but I had to shove it hard against the gas tank to get the shroud to line up on the tank. Basically, the fan is wedged pretty hard between the tank and the rad and the rad is now canted forward a bit.

Anybody else install the fan... same thing?
Tslapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:21 AM   #1978
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK View Post
OK all you Berg pros, I have a couple of quick questions.

1) Aftermarket sidestand/ kickstand

Is there a part intended for the KTM that will bolt on?

I would like to run the Pro Moto Billet sidestand just not sure witch one would fit.
Unfortunately there are no aftermarket side stands (that I am aware of), and PMB is probably not going to make one. They had a Berg there for development and couldn't find any good attachment points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tslapper View Post
Hey all,

New berg FE570 owner. This thing is awesome!

Over heated last week. Figure it's still pretty tight still but I was also just sitting waiting turn on an obstacle after a lot of slow stuff.

I had a fan kit sent up and I installed it last night. I think the fit is too tight but there's only one way to install the kit. It's on the bike but I had to shove it hard against the gas tank to get the shroud to line up on the tank. Basically, the fan is wedged pretty hard between the tank and the rad and the rad is now canted forward a bit.

Anybody else install the fan... same thing?

You probably made the same mistake as me....

The plastic housing/shroud that the actual fan is mounted should go on the front side of the metal bracket, so that it almost touches the radiator fins. If you mounted it on the back side you probably have about 1/2" between fins and blades?

If this is the case you will need to drill out the rivets to remove the bracket (I think a 4 or 5 mm drill worked well), push the remains of the rivets in, and then re-rivet the bracket on there.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:23 AM   #1979
Tslapper
#!

Oddometer: 6,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
You probably made the same mistake as me....

The plastic housing/shroud that the actual fan is mounted should go on the front side of the metal bracket, so that it almost touches the radiator fins. If you mounted it on the back side you probably have about 1/2" between fins and blades?

If this is the case you will need to drill out the rivets to remove the bracket (I think a 4 or 5 mm drill worked well), push the remains of the rivets in, and then re-rivet the bracket on there.
I knew somebody was going to tell me that. Thanks man!
Tslapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:40 AM   #1980
Lost Rider
Unsubscribed.

Oddometer: 3,249
Thumb

Howdy fellow Husaberg owners!
My name is Finn.
I've been a long time lurker on this thread and the other various Husaberg forums, let me start by thanking everyone who's contributed in this thread to make it a great resource for all 70 owners. I've been pretty quiet just soaking it all up, thinking for about a year this would be the perfect bike for my Adventuring Evolution, following this thread has been most enjoyable.
With all the stars aligning, I just picked up a nice preowned 11' FE570S with only 300 miles on it and have fallen in love.

It came de-smogged, opened up, tail cleaned up, competition map, and lowered 1" with the suspension done up by Trail Tricks. The bike also had a cheap FMF-something-or-other pipe that was FAR too loud for my tastes and intended purpose so I found a nice used stock pipe to put back on and am happy with the sound levels now.

My Husaberg won't see the back of a truck or a trailer unless it can't be ridden for whatever reason, I like to ride, bought it to ride it and plan on long travels with this bike.
We shall see how many miles this engine can take.

I only had about 5 days to get the bike ready for it's maiden Adventure to Death Valley last week for the ADVrider n00b Rally, a quick and dirty 1100 mile 65% dirt ride.
Here's what I did so far to make it my ultimate lightweight adventure touring bike.

Scotts damper
14/45 gearing
HDB hand guards
Bullet Proof radiator guards ( I have a thing with dropping bikes on just the right big rock)
TT map switch
D606 rear, Pirelli Scorpion Rally front tire - dual rim locks and then balanced with spoke weights
Seat Concepts seat (Airhawk Pillion seat pad for the long highway sections)
HID headlight (purchased from Paul on the Unofficial Husa forum, KTM ATV light converted to HID)
Added a SAE plug wired direct to battery for air pump/heated gear
Wired in my Montana GPS
Moved gauges up 1.5 inch to match the bar rise with a simple aluminum bracket I made
Can-Am inline fuel filter
Profill tank filter
Giant Loop muffler guard

The To Do list:

Safari Fuel Tank
70 Fuel Tank
cush drive
heated grips

lots of miles off tarmac.

So far this bike has far exceeded my expectations, and with all the praise and very little negative posts my expectations were already extremely high.
Admittedly, this is my first small bike in many years with all my Adventuring being done on much heavier bikes, so for me, it really does feel like a mountain bike with an awesome motor that I can throw around.
The fun factor on this bike is huge, it does it all very well so far and I see many miles and smiles to come on it.
It's like a precision scalpel, versus a big machete to me....
My girlfriend Nancy also has enjoyed riding the FE, she rode about 200 varying miles on it around Death Valley.... I think my plan worked and we're going to have to get her a FE390 sometime soon and also cut the weight of her ADV touring bike in half....

Since most of the stuff I've done has been covered already in this thread, I'll just get on with my second favorite thing to do after riding bikes, making photos of bikes! I think this Husaberg shall be a worthy subject for some time to come.

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 04-03-2012 at 08:56 AM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote