Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #2101
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by chums View Post
I had an 07' TE610 sold it and am now looking at getting back into a bike..After reading about 30 pages in this thread and glazing over 30 more I am liking what I see when it comes to the Bergs. I am a little nervous about the comments that the 70deg. motor wont be made anymore??? I don't really want to buy something to have it go away in a couple years???

In any case I'm in the midwest (Iowa) and went to the local dealer ( The Fun Mart Cycle Center ) and looked at a few bikes they had. I still want to test ride one if possible. The question is what dealer has a FE570 Enduro for the best price? If shipping is reasonable that may be an option or if it's under a 8hr drive one way that may be another option. I still need to talk with the local guy but wanted to get an idea of some of the better prices out there......Thanks for any info!

The parts will not be an issue, lots of common EXC internals and the aftermarket support is good for parts and even hi-po builds.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #2102
bayarearider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Help with fuel injector pre-filter & Can-AM inline filter mod

So I did this mod over the past weekend and noticed that the original 10 micron filter was missing. So my question is whether this filter is located inside the hose or the plug ? and is that the reason why I missed it ?

I just pushed the little grey injector pre-filter into the barb at the throttle body and then slid the hose over it and clamped it. Is this correct ?

Second question was the direction of the Can- AM inline filter ? Which direction should the arrow point ? The arrow on my filter I think is pointing towards the rear wheel or towards the shock . Is this correct ?
bayarearider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #2103
bayarearider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
frame protection set for the exhaust close to the heel.

So I read on the other Husaberg forum (husaberg.org) that few people have installed this for that gap behind the foot peg on the pipe side that tends to find the inside of your boot & melt the leather onto the pipe. I ordered the wrong part from KTM ( http://www.ktm-parts.com/77303094100.html) and this doesnt fit.

I googled this part and found this - http://www.ktm-parts.com/81203094000.html. Has anyone here installed this ? I just want to make sure if fits right.
bayarearider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:18 AM   #2104
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarearider View Post
So I read on the other Husaberg forum (husaberg.org) that few people have installed this for that gap behind the foot peg on the pipe side that tends to find the inside of your boot & melt the leather onto the pipe. I ordered the wrong part from KTM ( http://www.ktm-parts.com/77303094100.html) and this doesnt fit.

I googled this part and found this - http://www.ktm-parts.com/81203094000.html. Has anyone here installed this ? I just want to make sure if fits right.
That's the right part. Got a set on mine. Good money spent imho. Ride Blue!

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #2105
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,120
Wicked This is how I Roll.

Here's some photos from a 5 day adventure in the rain, snow and mud with lots of green and a little blue sky's thrown in.
Packing the FE for camping/fishing is no problem, loading the bike up for 5 days, 5 weeks, or 5 months is essentially the same pack for me.
Things will change a little when I finally get the rear safari and 70 aux fuel tanks, but not too much since I like how the front panniers hardly changes the bikes handling and adds some protection from the elements.
I plan on doing a more comprehensive post on my packing techniques soon to answer the PM's, it's still a work in progress, for now here's some images on the FE doing what I plan on doing as much as possible with the bike - self supported mixed ADV travel.

Rain test

Packing test.

The FE likes a nice camp fire in the rain

A little fishing

Some single track fun after no-fish fishing and Nancy rides home

You have to stop and smell the flowers now and then

Solo camping with the FE, I'm in good company

Lots of fun in the snow it was

More very enjoyable California spring riding, the FE right in it's perfect environment.

Packed up and heading home

The FE570 can really do it all, it's comfortable enough for long highway miles and then the bike handles incredibly well in it's intended environments off tarmac.

I love this bike!

On a side note from this trip:

One thing is for sure, the Giant Loop bags are not waterproof, much less even water resistant, even after meticulous seam sealing the bags with the included glue, a process I found to be most annoying in the first place when buying expensive ADV motorcycle gear since I didn't know they expected me to complete their manufacturing for them...
I'm not surprised they soaked up the rain and snow after seeing they made the bags how my Mom would for me and the cheap zippers they used, but I needed to give it a real world test before commenting....
Fuck Giant Loop products and their cheap, outdated "sewing" manufacturing techniques that are the same from WWII GI bags.
Good conceptual designs that make sense to us riders, and excellent ADV marketing as I see them everywhere peddling their cheaply made yet pricey products with horribly outdated manufacturing processes and cheap components - the Made in USA tag is a total embarrassment to me as an American. This is the best they can do?
They need to get with modern times and place quality over profit and use Radio or High Frequency Welding like all the top waterproof bag manufacturers do. What good is a ADV motorcycle bag if it's not really waterproof? Why should I have to use a bag inside a bag? That doesn't work for me.
GL products look good on the bike, but if you need 100% waterproof gear you can trust look elsewhere.
GL doesn't actually claim the bags to be 100% waterproof, instead they just use terms like "waterproof material" or "waterproof zippers" or "complete the waterproofing".... very misleading marketing...
I know I will be looking elsewhere and don't want my photos to promote a product that is not up to the needs of my interpretation of ADV riding and is such a disappointment in general.

-Finn

I still had fun though!

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 04-16-2012 at 02:03 PM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #2106
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,060
Great pics Finn!!!

"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:23 PM   #2107
pizzaboy
retiring tomorrow

Oddometer: 941
Finn +1 on the great pics! ....so, tell us how you really feel about GL ?? JK..
Thats not good. Their gear is $$$.

'09 BMW R1200GSA
'09 KTM 950SER Erz
'14 KTM 1190 Adventure R
pizzaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:49 PM   #2108
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,120
Thanks Larry, though I have to give credit to izzyblue and RAZR for some of the photos too.

Yeah pizza boy it's pricey for being so cheaply made IMO, we're paying for the innovative designs, but not quality manufacturing.... sorry for the rant but I can't let my photos portray the GL stuff as working in wet weather for me without speaking my mind about it.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #2109
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Now that's how a Husa 570 is supposed to be used Lost Rider, Bravo!

Hopefully, you can tell us about the engine's longevity, as I've yet to read many (any?) reports of someone really dual-sporting this bike.
I believe the engine will last 10s of thousands of miles, yet the majority of the 570s are only used as play bikes, and just a select few for long distance (short duration) racing.

A big +1 on your GL comments. The fact that they even have the audacity to sell their bags to the motorcycling public knowing they are not waterproof is a slap in the face to us all. I too only learned of this critical design flaw after I purchased a Coyote and MoJavi. What a joke, having to seam seal these things myself after spending $500 on off-road luggage.

GL!

Someone else needs to step in to fill the void here.

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:32 PM   #2110
pizzaboy
retiring tomorrow

Oddometer: 941
These seem to be a knock off of GL or the other way around. Can't
find any info about them. They are much less $$ than GL

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_...506.m270.l1313

'09 BMW R1200GSA
'09 KTM 950SER Erz
'14 KTM 1190 Adventure R
pizzaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:11 PM   #2111
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,633
Finn, 570 looks sweet in full dress. Thanks for the new PC background and a huge thanks for the little somethin somethin that showed up in the mail.

Shame to hear the report you gave on the GLs. I was looking to pick up a Coyote for my FE, but may hold off until they get their act together.

I'm coming out your way to ride for sure!

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:41 PM   #2112
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Things will change a little when I finally get the rear safari and 70 aux fuel tanks, but not too much since I like how the front panniers hardly changes the bikes handling and adds some protection from the elements.

Awesome pictures Finn!

In your first picture (above), what size are the front Wolfman Rolie pannier bags? Any problems with the Wolfman tank pannier on the right side getting burned by the exhaust pipe? That bare pipe gets hot enough to instantly melt through textile fabrics. P3 make a nice tidy guard for that area. A bit spendy, but works really well to protect pant legs, expensive luggage, and IMHO looks good on the bike.

http://www.ktm-parts.com/P3HUSPG.html

and less expensive versions too here and here
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:09 AM   #2113
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,759
I can give a big rap for the Kriega bags I use on my 390, totally water and dust proof so far, same as their waist pack and back packs. I use the tank strap on the rear of the bike to attach the US bags to, and can do the same on the front if necessary.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:08 AM   #2114
McLeod
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Water pump impeller removal

Hey how do I remove the water pump impeller. It's plastic and I don't want to pry on it.

Well that didn't work!

I am not sure how to remove the impeller when the its gets stuck.

Found this. Backwards seal.

Oil seal is good.

I recommend ordering the impeller and water pump washer when ordering seals.

McLeod screwed with this post 04-18-2012 at 09:49 AM
McLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:21 AM   #2115
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,635
FINN.......+100

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote