Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #2251
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
Sounds like its taking too long. We filtered all of our fuel in Australia out of the pump, out of the Jerry can, and then on the bike. I don't remember it taking noticeably longer to fill up.
If I had to gas up in questionable areas, I probably would pop the filter sock back in just to keep the chunky stuff from building up. The Berg tanks have such a tight bend at the top and with the sock, the high powered pumps locally means you can get hand cramps just barely, barely cracking the fill lever (with strong EPA springs) to not overflow out the top... for 5-10 minutes if you have a 70 degree tank too, trying to equalize through 1/4" tubing.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:34 PM   #2252
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,088
Anybody have a pic of where the ignition mapping mild/wild plugs go into the harness? Thanks!
Navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #2253
PABiker
Anywhere but here

Oddometer: 3,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
Anybody have a pic of where the ignition mapping mild/wild plugs go into the harness? Thanks!
Best I can do right now is show you a pic of the female plug that will plug into the one in the harness:

You will find the harness plug behind the headlight.

Here is a shot of my finished homemade map switch using the original factor headlight switch:

PABiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:19 PM   #2254
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

The headlight? Dang. Anyone know what the white plug with a resistor is under the seat by the battery? I got a 15k ohm to plug in the mapping plug to activate the soft curve and though it was that one. Found a resistor in there that broke and I just added in the 15k. Came to find later it isn't the right plug to go into. Shucks.

Bike runs but I don't want to fry anything.

Thanks if anyone knows. The resistor it had has 2 gold rings, brown, red then brown again. I have zero knowledge of these things.

Looks like trying to save a few $ is gonna cost me more anyway .
Old 05-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #2255
APBlack
nOOb on a fly

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
The headlight? Dang. Anyone know what the white plug with a resistor is under the seat by the battery? I got a 15k ohm to plug in the mapping plug to activate the soft curve and though it was that one. Found a resistor in there that broke and I just added in the 15k. Came to find later it isn't the right plug to go into. Shucks.

Bike runs but I don't want to fry anything.

Thanks if anyone knows. The resistor it had has 2 gold rings, brown, red then brown again. I have zero knowledge of these things.

Looks like trying to save a few $ is gonna cost me more anyway .

Looked under the seat of my bike, did not see a white plug with a resistor in it but it might be buried in there somewhere.
brown, red, brown, gold, gold, would be 12.1 ohms at +/-5% according to the chart I just looked up. I used to know that stuff by heart but I had to look it up. can't remember shit anymore..
06 KTM 950 Adv (orange one)
05 Honda 650L
APBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:28 AM   #2256
Pundy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
If I had to gas up in questionable areas, I probably would pop the filter sock back in just to keep the chunky stuff from building up. The Berg tanks have such a tight bend at the top and with the sock, the high powered pumps locally means you can get hand cramps just barely, barely cracking the fill lever (with strong EPA springs) to not overflow out the top... for 5-10 minutes if you have a 70 degree tank too, trying to equalize through 1/4" tubing.
Which filter socks are you guys running? Would they work with the KTM 690 too?
Pundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:46 AM   #2257
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by APBlack View Post
Looked under the seat of my bike, did not see a white plug with a resistor in it but it might be buried in there somewhere.
brown, red, brown, gold, gold, would be 12.1 ohms at +/-5% according to the chart I just looked up. I used to know that stuff by heart but I had to look it up. can't remember shit anymore..

I found a chart and came up with the 12.1 ohm too. Thanks. The white plug ends in a black heat shrink over the resistor, I didn't see it till it was too late. Thanks.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:08 PM   #2258
Husa-Monster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Well I have to say that I am now a firm believer in the benefits of suspension tuning. Had mine done and just got back from my first ride with it, what a world of difference!! I am a MOG (man of girth ,) and am amazed at how planted the bike feels now with proper springs, etc.

I have to highly recommend Riders Edge Suspension, in Vernon B.C., to any fellow Berg riders here. I had the whole meal deal installed - one of their Riders Edge Works kits. Ian and his crew know their products,were super easy to deal with, and even though this is their busiest time of year, I had my forks and shock back in under 2 weeks!
Husa-Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #2259
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,126
With all the highway riding I do to get to the trails I've still been having trouble with my chain hitting the side knobs on my tires if it's too loose, it's fine when it's not so slack but too tight and I developed a leak out of the CS. I replaced the seal (thanks for the part #'s!) and while I was at the KTM shop I was looking at the new bikes and found this chain guard and ordered one. I'm hoping it will help my issues.

They looked like the same swing arm, but it took a little trimming to get it to fit all squared up.

A bolt here to connect it and a longer bolt through the chain guide there with what I had laying around and some lock-tight should do the trick

Also installed the lower temp radiator fan switch, it seems to come on when needed and stays off when not.... could be perfect like described. Thanks again for that part #.

Going up a trail that I boiled over on before is no longer an issue, coming down was fun too.

To comment on the tank sock filter and filling up, I've found that it really helps to turn the handlebars to the side out of the way and angle the nozzle so the gas is shooting at a 45 angle, downwards like the tank is sculpted instead of trying to fill from the top.

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 05-20-2012 at 09:56 AM
Lost Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:01 PM   #2260
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
With all the highway riding I do to get to the trails I've still been having trouble with my chain hitting the side knobs on my tires if it's too loose, it's fine when it's not so slack but too tight and I developed a leak out of the CS. I replaced the seal (thanks for the part #'s!) and while I was at the KTM shop I was looking at the new bikes and found this chain guard and ordered one. I'm hoping it will help my issues.

To comment on the tank sock filter and filling up, I've found that it really helps to turn the handlebars to the side out of the way and angle the nozzle so the gas is shooting at a 45 angle, downwards like the tank is sculpted instead of trying to fill from the top.

Hey Finn, that chain guard looks almost exactly like the OEM chain guard on my 2011 FE390. Did your bike not come with one or is it different somehow?

On the filling, yes I know about filling at just the right angle but the fine mesh still slowed the filling a lot. My 990 tanks have to be filled at just the right angle too, or they splash out.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #2261
Lost Rider
Roadie

My bike did not come with a chain guard, if it did I wouldn't have bought one thinking I discovered something.

LostRider.com
Old 05-20-2012, 05:05 PM   #2262
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
My bike did not come with a chain guard, if it did I wouldn't have bought one thinking I discovered something.
I looked in my Parts Manual that came with the bike new and it lists the chainguard for the FE as Part# 78004060000, a bit different than the Part# you had.

Looks like you have it handled though.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #2263
Lost Rider
Roadie

Right on, I guess I should have looked there first.

Not sure why my bike didn't have one to start.

LostRider.com
Old 05-21-2012, 04:57 AM   #2264
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,636
Yup....my 390 came with one too. Looks just like yours and appears mounted exactly the same.

You got screwed (again).

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:40 AM   #2265
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,091
Quote:

Try out a trials tire on the rear for this type of riding.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote