Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2012, 01:17 AM   #2491
southy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILL_S View Post
doing a bit of research into the 570 and found this.

http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=93086

anyone else seen something like this on the bergs?
For those interested the story of this failure can be read here
http://www.obtrailriders.com/index.p...8948&Itemid=75
Old 07-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #2492
Husa-Monster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I loose clutch bolt would have cut a round hole. That bike was dropped. Not saying the clutch bolt didn't come loose and start eating the cover, weakening it, but that damage was done in a crash. Like someone else pointed out, the header pipe didn't come stock with that giant dent.
Husa-Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #2493
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husa-Monster View Post
I loose clutch bolt would have cut a round hole. That bike was dropped. Not saying the clutch bolt didn't come loose and start eating the cover, weakening it, but that damage was done in a crash. Like someone else pointed out, the header pipe didn't come stock with that giant dent.
That isnt a round hole?? I am not saying the drop didnt do something to it..there are some pretty noticeable scratches on the clutch housing as well.. but that hole was clearly caused by a loose clutch bolt.. how that bolt got loose is pure speculation. If you read the posts on other forums the owner complained about odd clutch feel from day one and the dealer wrote it off to needing to be broken in.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:25 PM   #2494
Rodknee
I wish I was Ghetto

Oddometer: 2,199
anyone else have a false nuetral between 5th and 6th? got me good a few times yesterday, just wanted to see if i was the only one.
NY to Alaska Ride Report Aug 14'
2014 Rides: Katie M Big girl & Berg Hoon'icycle
RIP Buddy 1999-2014
Rodknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #2495
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,332
Fuel Tanks

Does anyone have any recent experience with either of these add-on tanks:

(a) Subframe tank - either the 70 Degree subframe fuel tank, or the version of it supplied by Husaberg

(b) Safari piggyback tank

I'm interested in issues such as build quality, impact on regular maintenance or leakage ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #2496
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
Fuel Tanks

(a) Subframe tank - either the 70 Degree subframe fuel tank, or the version of it supplied by Husaberg

I'm interested in issues such as build quality, impact on regular maintenance or leakage ...
I have the 2.5 gallon rear safari tank for my 450. It is easy to install and fits well with good solid mounting. You have to cut the part of the rear fender and you have to drill a hole into the fuel pump mounting block. I may sell the tank as I am finding I am not using it.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #2497
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by b18c5rodney View Post
anyone else have a false nuetral between 5th and 6th? got me good a few times yesterday, just wanted to see if i was the only one.
Never had a problem. The gearbox has been very solid for me...

"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #2498
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,215
Quote:
Fuel Tanks

I've got the 70 Deg subframe tank and very happy with it. I believe they are working on version 2 with brass inserts for some of the mounting holes - not sure if that's out yet or not. No problems with it, and gets me an extra gallon (50% more than stock). No leakage so far (fingers crossed). Mounted up without any problems.
"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:24 PM   #2499
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,200
Quote:
Fuel Tanks

The 70 degree subtank version 2 is not available yet..it has been delayed for months.. good luck finding one anywhere.

There are a few threads around here, on ktm talk and husaberg.org that are discussing how hard it is to get the Safari front tank to fit. Several folks have given up on it.. too bad, it was on my list of needs for when I move out west next year.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:27 PM   #2500
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,709
Where's Waldo....continued

The wrenching adventure continues.

Here is the "don't mess with it" oil screen.

I removed and inspected (again) just to be sure. Nothing....Nope....Nada. So, I don't think I'll bother looking at it again until my next valve inspection in a few hundred hours, or so. But if it makes you sleep better at night, you go ahead and inspect yours at every oil change. Frankly, the bolt is hard to align when putting back in. There is a risk of stripping the threads if you're not extra careful. Then, you'd have a serious problem.

Properly torquing the valve cover upon reassembly required another secret weapon: a swivel joint and my 1/4" torque wrench. Nothing else I had would fit in there. Wish they had left a hole in the frame directly in front of this bolt to easily reach it straight on with an extension.

Not sure how critical precise torque is for this particular valve cover......It feels like a hard plastic cover to me.

Ok....enough with the valves. Have you tried to remove your spark plug? If not, I suggest you give it a go in the garage. Just a hint.

Back to relying on the OEM Toolkit, this was the apparent intended combination wrench:

Keep in mind, my pipe header is absent. This might could possibly be much harder to attempt with the pipe in place. For the record, it didn't work anyway. There is not enough room to turn the wrench before hitting the wall. And, there is nothing else in my kit that fits this spark plug wrench except the big combo axle wrench (which definitely won't work).

This might work, if you happen to be carrying a 1/4" socket driver and a 13mm socket.

Memo to file: Add a 13mm socket & swivel joint to my Toolkit pronto!

With no pipe AND the radiator removed, I tackled it from above, like this:

This is a 3/8" drive with a medium extension. This made plug removal easy. But, that's a lot of stuff to get out of the way just to remove a plug. I'm going to have to try this again after I get my bike all put back together. You might have your hands full out on the trail, if you need to swap plugs (or pump some water out of the cylinder) if you're not prepared in advance. Think I could do it with a 1/4" drive, long extension, swivel joint, & 13mm (which fits the top of the spark plug wrench).

My modified toolkit is quickly shaping up to look a lot different than the OEM. Simply shocking, I know.

My preferred (and more effective) weapons are on the white rag:
1/4" drive with 6, 8, 10, & 13mm sockets, plus extension, swivel joint, and
T-30 & E-8 torx bits

These few things handle about 90% of my wrenching needs on the bike. I'm still wondering why a T-30 was not included in the OEM kit...?? Its the most common bolt on the bike.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project

HighFive screwed with this post 07-03-2012 at 12:17 AM
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #2501
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
My preferred (and more effective) weapons are on the white rag:
1/4" drive with 6, 8, 10, & 13mm sockets, plus extension, swivel joint, and
T-30 & E-8 torx bits

These few things handle about 90% of my wrenching needs on the bike. I'm still wondering why a T-30 was not included in the OEM kit...?? Its the most common bolt on the bike.
Good advice on the toolkit contents.

What were your valves at? Were they in spec, or pretty close?
http://photos.boggis.com
BogeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:18 PM   #2502
Rider1
Ridin' Dave

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyMan View Post
Good advice on the toolkit contents.

What were your valves at? Were they in spec, or pretty close?

Copied from post #2490 by HF:

My Valves were "In Spec" at:

Intake 0.11mm (range 0.10 - 0.15 mm)
Exhaust 0.13 mm (range 0.12 - 0.17 mm)

R1
Old 07-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #2503
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Sorry for being a pain in the ass.... can I get the part number for the lower temp fan switch? Got an Enduro this weekend and She's running hot in this heat.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #2504
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,709
Good news, Crankshaft. I just bought one and still have the box sitting right here. Ordered from NAPA, its an FAE brand: Part # 1435003 Thermo Fan Switch 90/95c

Now, the bad news: It took them 3 weeks to get it in. Only 3 were available in the whole NAPA system at the time I ordered it. Seems there's been a run on these whizmos....and the NAPA folks are bewildered.

Anyway, mine was pulled and shipped from a Michigan store.....but it never arrived. Ups apparently damaged the package (badly) and returned it to origin without ever informing destination. Then there were only 2. Took another week or so, and one of those finally arrived in T-town with my name on it.

Then, there was only 1.....

Good luck.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:09 PM   #2505
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Good news, Crankshaft. I just bought one and still have the box sitting right here. Ordered from NAPA, its an FAE brand: Part # 1435003 Thermo Fan Switch 90/95c

Now, the bad news: It took them 3 weeks to get it in. Only 3 were available in the whole NAPA system at the time I ordered it. Seems there's been a run on these whizmos....and the NAPA folks are bewildered.

Anyway, mine was pulled and shipped from a Michigan store.....but it never arrived. Ups apparently damaged the package and returned it to Michigan without ever informing intended recipient. Then there were only 2 remaining. Took another week or so, and one of those finally arrived in T-town with my name on it.

Then, there was only 1.....

Good luck.

HF
I have a foreign auto parts place up the road, just needed the number to cross reference. It's a fan switch from a bunch of Audi and VW's, so should be easy to source locally. They probably have a 100 of them on the shelf

Thank you!