Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 06:23 PM   #3001
TLtrials
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyMan View Post
Yup. You're slow

Seriously tho, until this weekend I thought this issue *was* isolated to the 70degree tank. BUT, I can categorically state - it's not. With a new tank retailing at $500+ (USD) - I don't wanna go down that road

Maybe last time I bolted the fairings back on I cross-threaded this bolt - I dunno. The point is, the bolt won't come out of it's own free will and needs some additional encouragement that I am unable to provide at this moment. I'm open to any suggestions that don't damage the tank.
Are you talking about the bolts under the seat holding the rail from the tank to the subframe? If I remember correctly, the insert goes all the way through the stock tank. When one bolt is removed it will spin, I think there is a slot that you can put a straight screwdriver in to hold while you loosen the other side that is spinning.

Or loosen both sides with a quick blast from an air wrench/impact driver they come right out. That is usually the way I take mine apart.
TLtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #3002
bfly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post
Bfly - my plastic frame guard/heat shield is zip tied like your photo. That didn't stop my boot heel from pushing it against the exhaust pipe with the molten results I described.

Maybe I'm the only one w/ this problem?
I haven't heard of anyone having the problem when using a zip tie. People also use a pop rivet to connect the two. I am running Fastway footpegs which are setup 1/2" lower than stock. That might keep my heal out of that area as well.
bfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #3003
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLtrials View Post
Are you talking about the bolts under the seat holding the rail from the tank to the subframe?
Nope. The small bolts (three each side) that hold the side panels on. On each side they run along from the filler along the air filter area. They're only small (M4, I think).
Old 11-13-2012, 05:47 AM   #3004
frostyuk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Spacers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
What kind of wear are you getting Frosty? I just checked mine with over 5500 klms on them and they show little marks or wear.
Hi Cruz

here's the spacers that came with the bike, not sure how old they are or if they are oem, the bike's an 09 450 with 2500 miles when i got it, sorry havent got a good cam just one on phone you may just be able to see the coating is also cracked and flaking off :
IMG00152-20121113-1326

IMG00153-20121113-1326

so i didnt like the look of those so got some Enduro Engineering ones, and after about 300 miles or so they are already showing signs of scoring:

IMG00154-20121113-1327

IMG00155-20121113-1327

any thoughts?

Thanks
frostyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:57 AM   #3005
TLtrials
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyMan View Post
Nope. The small bolts (three each side) that hold the side panels on. On each side they run along from the filler along the air filter area. They're only small (M4, I think).
Got it, yeah those are small metal (maybe brass) inserts into the tank on the black tank versions. I think those can be replaced. Our local dealer replaced a couple that were ripped out of a 390 in a crash. My 09 450 has the natural color tank and uses the wood screws straight into the plastic.
TLtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:36 PM   #3006
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTheFallen View Post
Could a backwards Can Am fuel filter cause significant mid to high RPM power loss?

Took my new 570 back to the dealer to get checked out. Posted a page or so back about a my bike having lame power. Hit mid range and it just lays flat and ceases to make more power. It sounds very choked up or restricted. The dealer supposedly desmogged and installed the offroad map (and charged me $100 for it!)

The service manager saw the can am filter and immediately tried to blame it on that. He kept saying that it wasn't needed and that " you must be read all those online forums; you can't really believe all of that stuff!" (I tried to explain the reason I bought the bike was because of the forums and not from his infinite wisdom.)

The only thing I am afraid of is if the filter is backwards somehow. Installed the can am filter very early on and don't remember the bike being any different before the filter. I did wrap the filter several times in heat shield and covered up the flow direction arrow and had to uncover it once to recheck the direction. About 90% sure it is the right way.

Would a backwards filter run at all? Could it possibly be the root of my problem? I had to leave to bike for who knows how long and I would hate for this to be the problem.
Just to update. Spoke to the owner of the dealership for a while Saturday and he insists that the bike is fine. He says is wheelies like crazy for him. He did say that I need to look into getting a more free flowing exhaust. I am wondering now if my problem was a combo of old oil in air filter (I cleaned it but couldn't really get on it hard in my neighborhood but felt no difference) and too high expectations. He did drop the labor charges that were pissing me off the most.

Picked it up a couple of hours ago but didn't get a chance to ride it. Happy that the charges were dropped and I hope it rides better tomorrow. We will see.
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:52 PM   #3007
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,623
Still doesn't sound right, and none of the 70 degree Bergs need a change of exhaust to make them go better. The 570 should have its front wheel coming up all the way through to 4th if you are up it a bit.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

George Carlin
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:34 AM   #3008
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,166
Cruz did Australia recieve the same model FE570S that is being discussed here? I know that you guys usually get more opened up bikes because they dont have to pass the draconian CARB (california air resources board) requirements that bikes in the US must to become "50 state compliant.' Our model of the FE570S comes with a bunch of emissions crap and a plugged up pipe IOT meet that requirement. Now my 570s would still snap my arms straight even with the OEM pipe, but lot of folks here go into that OEM pipe and cut it up to "open it up."
Of course if you got the exact same bike down there then all my typing has been a waste of time
Old 11-14-2012, 01:07 PM   #3009
SmileyRider
With lots of Teeth

Oddometer: 37
FE390 for long distances

Good day everyone,
I have been lurking this thread for the last few days and I am having issues finding answers. (I tried searching)

All my questions pertain to the FE390, I'm not very interested in the 450 or 570.

I currently have a Husqvarna TE250, and i love it off road, but it is terrible on the highway. I want a bike I can take on the highway for long periods at a time. Something like a DRZ400, but actually good offroad.

I understand the FE390 needs more maintenance than a DRZ, and I know it can't carry the same amount of luggage.

But with good touring tires, a better seat, proper gearing, balanced wheels, and a safari tank. Would the FE390 be a plausible long distance machine?

How are vibrations on the highway (65mph or 100km/h)? Does it skitter around when other vehicles pass by?

I basically want a real dirt bike that I can turn into a long distance cruiser and back again.

The KTM 350exc-F also intrigues me, but I have read it is pretty awful on the highway.

Thanks
SmileyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #3010
bkowal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyRider View Post
Good day everyone,
I have been lurking this thread for the last few days and I am having issues finding answers. (I tried searching)

All my questions pertain to the FE390, I'm not very interested in the 450 or 570.

I currently have a Husqvarna TE250, and i love it off road, but it is terrible on the highway. I want a bike I can take on the highway for long periods at a time. Something like a DRZ400, but actually good offroad.

I understand the FE390 needs more maintenance than a DRZ, and I know it can't carry the same amount of luggage.

But with good touring tires, a better seat, proper gearing, balanced wheels, and a safari tank. Would the FE390 be a plausible long distance machine?

How are vibrations on the highway (65mph or 100km/h)? Does it skitter around when other vehicles pass by?

I basically want a real dirt bike that I can turn into a long distance cruiser and back again.

The KTM 350exc-F also intrigues me, but I have read it is pretty awful on the highway.

Thanks
Well, the FE's are dirtbikes so they will never match the comfort of a real street bike. I recently switched from a DRZ400E to a FE450 and a couple of your asumptions are wrong. I had both bikes in the garage all summer, and rode both. I have also ridden the FE390. After riding the FE450, the DRZ400 just seems lame.

The DRZ400 is actually quite good offroad. But I can honestly say, that the FE450 (390) is better than the DRZ in every way, It is very much the modern, high-performance replacement for it. It is also much better on the highway. With the six speed, and stock gearing, you can cruise all day at 120kph with no effort and give up NOTHING in terms of offroad performance. I have had the FE450 still accelerating quite briskly and smoothly at over 140kph when I decided that it wasn't a good idea to take it any further.

As far as vibes go, it runs as smooth as the DRZ, maybe even smoother. I have always thought the the FE570 would be the ultimate kick-ass dual-sport bike.
bkowal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:32 PM   #3011
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyRider View Post
Good day everyone,

Thanks
Smiley,

I can give you my take on it. I have done just what you want to other than a Safari tank. I'm happy with the 70degree subtank for now.

I would say the FE390 is the smoothest of all the 70 degree FE models, just because it is slinging around less rotating mass in the engine. The 390 with proper map on it and OEM gearing and balanced tires, cruises down the highway very nicely at 65-70. Keep in mind real knobbies always add some vibe back in. I have a Renazo seat (you have to change the OEM seat if you want to do long miles) and ridden mine at least 1000 miles of pavement so far and other than lack of a windscreen, it's easily as comfortable as my old DRZ400S. Also I don't think it needs service as often as people think. I have over 2000 miles on mine and I might get around to checking the valves one of these days. Many on here say the valves barely drift at all on these engine, just ask Lukas, HighFive or Lost Rider.

The FE390 will also carry a decent load if you use a Giant Loop or Wolfman soft bag carrier.

The FE Series, especially the FE390 is MUCH smoother than the KTM or other vertical pumpers. KTM Corp guys at a recent KTM Rally agreed with me that the 70 degree engines were definitely smoother than the conventional engine configs.

Here is two FE390's saddled up for hard technical and dual-sport duty.

They worked amazingly well for being a real dirtbike, as long as you don't expect wheelies-in-every gear power.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:24 PM   #3012
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,429
Berg Part II

Not completed yet...

Suspension by Mad Jack Racing
Rekluse Core EXP
Scott's
Bars
Cycras
Squadron
Shark Fin
TM Guide and Slider
Pivot Pegs
Akro
blah blah blah

The new bash plate coming...3 liter Bash Plate and tool case...adding heat shield and Voila 3 liters more range....
Regular Skid plate for shorter rides....
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #3013
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Smiley,

I can give you my take on it. I have done just what you want to other than a Safari tank. I'm happy with the 70degree subtank for now.

I would say the FE390 is the smoothest of all the 70 degree FE models, just because it is slinging around less rotating mass in the engine. The 390 with proper map on it and OEM gearing and balanced tires, cruises down the highway very nicely at 65-70. Keep in mind real knobbies always add some vibe back in. I have a Renazo seat (you have to change the OEM seat if you want to do long miles) and ridden mine at least 1000 miles of pavement so far and other than lack of a windscreen, it's easily as comfortable as my old DRZ400S. Also I don't think it needs service as often as people think. I have over 2000 miles on mine and I might get around to checking the valves one of these days. Many on here say the valves barely drift at all on these engine, just ask Lukas, HighFive or Lost Rider.

The FE390 will also carry a decent load if you use a Giant Loop or Wolfman soft bag carrier.

The FE Series, especially the FE390 is MUCH smoother than the KTM or other vertical pumpers. KTM Corp guys at a recent KTM Rally agreed with me that the 70 degree engines were definitely smoother than the conventional engine configs.

Here is two FE390's saddled up for hard technical and dual-sport duty.

They worked amazingly well for being a real dirtbike, as long as you don't expect wheelies-in-every gear power.
Size of the Rollies on the bike??
Old 11-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #3014
Blakduk
Just trying to get by.

Oddometer: 1,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
Cruz did Australia recieve the same model FE570S that is being discussed here? I know that you guys usually get more opened up bikes because they dont have to pass the draconian CARB (california air resources board) requirements that bikes in the US must to become "50 state compliant.' Our model of the FE570S comes with a bunch of emissions crap and a plugged up pipe IOT meet that requirement. Now my 570s would still snap my arms straight even with the OEM pipe, but lot of folks here go into that OEM pipe and cut it up to "open it up."
Of course if you got the exact same bike down there then all my typing has been a waste of time
Cruz can answer when he gets back, but I can tell you that in my exploring over the net and my bike, there a a shitload of bits and pieces and plugs and wires on my 450 that go nowhere where in the US they have 'things' on the end of them. So I'd say YES we get the bike it was meant to be, and you are going the way of those dickheads in Europe with their fun-smothering rules.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #3015
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
Size of the Rollies on the bike??
3 Mediums and one Large strapped on top. Full camping setup. (from this thread http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=820748)
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote