Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 08:43 PM   #3016
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakduk View Post
Cruz can answer when he gets back, but I can tell you that in my exploring over the net and my bike, there a a shitload of bits and pieces and plugs and wires on my 450 that go nowhere where in the US they have 'things' on the end of them. So I'd say YES we get the bike it was meant to be, and you are going the way of those dickheads in Europe with their fun-smothering rules.

Isn't that the truth. At least up yonder in Washington/Pacific Northwet my 390 was sold as pure dirt, no smog crap, and I added the minimalist wires and lights back in to make it just barely pass muster as street legal. After taking the stupid perf screen restrictor (which is NOT the spark arrestor BTW) off the back of the OEM can, and getting the "competition map", the pipe flows plenty well enough to get great power out of the 390, and still stay reasonably quiet. If I ever did change the pipe, which I doubt, it would be with a Wings can.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:10 AM   #3017
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakduk View Post
Cruz can answer when he gets back, but I can tell you that in my exploring over the net and my bike, there a a shitload of bits and pieces and plugs and wires on my 450 that go nowhere where in the US they have 'things' on the end of them. So I'd say YES we get the bike it was meant to be, and you are going the way of those dickheads in Europe with their fun-smothering rules.
Yeah, what Mr duk said above, ours are unrestricted over here.

Agree completely with Cyborg re the 390, once the wheels are balanced then it is very smooth on the highway. Have ridden a few 200+ klms at 100 kph or more on tar with no problems, it is actually a lot smoother and more responsive than my 650 XChallenge was on the highway, and it was pretty good. Fuel economy is very good on the hot map setting, always get over 200 klm from the oem tank. I look at the 390 as a WR250R on steroids and weight loss plus fitted with superb suspension and brakes. I do have a Cush hub fitted which smoothes things out a bit more than standard. All I want is an oil cooler or more oil capacity, I think a quality oil cooler would suffice.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:58 AM   #3018
rensho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Are you guys finding a catalyst within the stock exhaust/header?

Someone pointed out a catalyst removed from their 570. I looked in my muffler/midpipe junction and couldn't find one. I'm not the original owner. I have not looked in the header.

Anyone find one? Cyborg?
rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:32 PM   #3019
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rensho View Post

Someone pointed out a catalyst removed from their 570. I looked in my muffler/midpipe junction and couldn't find one. I'm not the original owner. I have not looked in the header.

Anyone find one? Cyborg?
I know there isn't one in my header and midpipe, had that off for ceramic coating. I doubt the "offroad" OEM can on my 390 has a cat. I can't see it from either end, just the Krizman spark arrestor about 1/3 in from the outlet end. My guess is only the FE/FS570s sold as 50-state street legal had all that smog stuff on them.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #3020
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Quote:

Anyone find one? Cyborg?
I have had the whole thing apart and did not find any short of catalyst. My header and mid pipe were straight thru and my silencer was of the turbine arrester type with this in the end cap. I cut around the larger pipe behind the weld and doubled the diameter of the exhaust exit.

It took maybe 5 mins.

Shop was adamant that there was nothing wrong with the bike and they did not change anything. Between them looking at it, the cleaned air filter, and this little mod the bike now rips!!! I have had a smile on my face for the past hour and that was just riding it around the fire station. Super excited. Got to fix my fender, turn signal, and tag now after jumping it off an embankment but greatly relieved for it to be running right. Get to take it on some real trails tomorrow. Depending on how it handles that it may replace my Honda crf450r for a harescramble this weekend.
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:47 PM   #3021
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

*My bike is the fe570s 50 state legal version and there was still no catalyst.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:28 PM   #3022
rensho
Gnarly Adventurer

Thx, RTF and Cyborg for the quick reply. The person that showed the item/removal is from Europe.
http://www.husaberg.org/forum/viewto...p?f=20&t=16736

I'll wait until I need to take off the header/tank to take a look inside that junction next to the side of engine.

RTF, I did cut off that piece, and it did help with perf as well as sound. Love it.

I can say that the muffler is essentially straight through, with that vortex looking thing towards the rear end. I believe that also functions as the sparkie.

rensho screwed with this post 11-15-2012 at 01:35 PM
Old 11-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #3023
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Thx, RTF and Cyborg for the quick reply. The person that showed the item/removal is from Europe.
http://www.husaberg.org/forum/viewto...p?f=20&t=16736

I'll wait until I need to take off the header/tank to take a look inside that junction next to the side of engine.

RTF, I did cut off that piece, and it did help with perf as well as sound. Love it.

I can say that the muffler is essentially straight through, with that vortex looking thing towards the rear end. I believe that also functions as the sparkie.
The "vortex looking thing" in the OEM can is a turbine style 'Krizman' spark arrestor. Don't get rid of it if you ride in dry forested or grassy areas. That sparkie works by flinging hot particulates to the side against the can walls, and what's left is caught by the inward protruding pipe RTF cut out.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:25 PM   #3024
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
The cat sits in the inlet of the muffler, just slips out.

I think only Euro and OZ bikes get it.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:59 PM   #3025
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 2,019
We get same as UK . Cause we drive on the correct side of the road
Mudguts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:09 AM   #3026
rensho
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
The cat sits in the inlet of the muffler, just slips out.

I think only Euro and OZ bikes get it.
Thanks LukasM. When I pulled it, wasn't sure if the previous owner removed it already. It was most logical it was there.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #3027
frostyuk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Bits and pieces

Since getting my berg i've been aquiring bits and pieces but not had the time to get them added, a day off and mucky weather gave me the opportunity to remedy this. Most bits are not revolutionary i.e BPD shark fin and chain guide protector mmmmmm nice but no need for pics i think.

My bike turned up with its left rad like this

IMG00156-20121116-1857

IMG00157-20121116-1857

so i replaced it with a used one from ebay .. easier than i thought ... and added some hard parts braces that i got lucky on ebay with :

IMG00161-20121116-1859

should stop that happening again!

A fortuitous message to LukasM got me a set of factory triple clamps thanks Lukas, and as my head bearings needed replacing this seemed the ideal time to fit them ... i think they look real good with the white plastics, i'll try and get some better pics in daylight

IMG00158-20121116-1858
IMG00159-20121116-1858
IMG00160-20121116-1859

and i also got a new tail light from paul garfield .. combined tail light, brake light, license plate light and indicators, very neat but i'll have to get the wifes opinion on how effective it is :

IMG00149-20121027-1636
IMG00162-20121116-1900
IMG00150-20121027-1637
IMG00151-20121027-1637
frostyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #3028
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,723
How's the Kriega bag and mounting system going Frosty?

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:47 PM   #3029
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
Berg Part II

The new bash plate coming...3 liter Bash Plate and tool case...adding heat shield and Voila 3 liters more range....
Regular Skid plate for shorter rides....
Please, tell more! Do you have pictures?
Old 11-17-2012, 03:15 AM   #3030
frostyuk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
How's the Kriega bag and mounting system going Frosty?
it works well except for one time i experimented with using the hook straps that come with the new us10. i'm only using them for carrying my trail pack tools/tubes etc rather than the full luggage system but i like the tidiness of it. when i used the hok straps i found that there is a minimum length for those straps and if the us10 wasnt full or the contents could shift then once you start bouncing around off road the hooks could come detached from the loops and the us10 end up resting on the exhaust so have gone back to the original us10 mounting i.e. the webbing strap threadded through the rack loops, more secure and plenty of adjustment
frostyuk is offline   Reply With Quote