Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #3211
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyMan View Post
Nope. Didn't lose anything... apart from my mind (but that went a long time ago)

I think the washer I have is the DT one - I'll compare later.

Oh, I thought u found it hanging off the CS!
Navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:58 PM   #3212
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Like others have said replacing the seal isn't that hard, but there's a good chance the leak is being caused by the KTM dome washer wearing out and not providing enough pressure on the o-ring on the spacer the counter shaft. I don't see how a bolt could wear out and cause the leak, when talking to the guys at dirt tricks ordering my washer they said I don't need to bother replacing it for whatever that's worth.
I've been battling with a leak that looks like yours for most of my miles. Always seemed to go away after replacing the dome washer and o-ring, but would come back soon from the miles I've been doing. Changing the seal itself never really helped. YRMV.
I wouldn't let a little leak like your stop me from riding over the weekend, but that's just me and I'm used to it leaking.

To stop having to constantly replace the soft KTM washer I bought one of these:

Has the new washer worked like advertised LostRider?

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #3213
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,164
I guess I should have been more specific when I said I bought one of these to help with my oil leak, but haven't used it yet. Didn't get that far past the countershaft.

I do know that my leaks went away when I installed a new KTM washer and o-ring and then came back within a few thousand miles, so the marketing hype about a stronger washer that holds it's shape better makes sense.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:09 AM   #3214
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
So, based on responses, I'm gonna clean it up (so that I can more closely monitor it in future), buy a replacement seal (p/n: 0760324571), make sure I have the DirtTricks washer and keep riding

From the schematic, it looks like I can replace that from the outside without too much effort of special tools.

In the meantime, I know it's been stated here what other KTM model [rear] wheel will fit the FE570 - but could someone reiterate for me? I want to see if I can source a used cush wheel, and if I know what other KTM model wheels will fit (both with and without cush as stock), I can hopefully find something used at a reasonable price (new is a hard option to stretch to right now - $$$)
http://photos.boggis.com
BogeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:07 AM   #3216
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
So, based on responses, I'm gonna clean it up (so that I can more closely monitor it in future), buy a replacement seal (p/n: 0760324571), make sure I have the DirtTricks washer and keep riding

From the schematic, it looks like I can replace that from the outside without too much effort of special tools.

In the meantime, I know it's been stated here what other KTM model [rear] wheel will fit the FE570 - but could someone reiterate for me? I want to see if I can source a used cush wheel, and if I know what other KTM model wheels will fit (both with and without cush as stock), I can hopefully find something used at a reasonable price (new is a hard option to stretch to right now - $$$)
When you say you replace the seal,your doing the 0-ring/bushing/seal all at once?
KTM's and many other bikes have had that same combo around the countershaft for a long time.
Ive usually had to do it once each on the 14 KTM's Ive had since 1978. Dirt sneaks in and causes leaks.
I have a 530 now so I'll maybe try one of the DT domed washers.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:16 AM   #3217
woods wizard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 752
Quote:
So, after Finn's disclosure of the condition of his countershaft & splines, and the desire to go for a ride this weekend, I took a look at my FE... and saw this:

(the white/blue "spooge" is thread-lock from the c/s bolt) and that's the c/s sprocket half off the splines.

so I took the c/s sprocket off and then wiped off the accumulated grime from the seals, and this is what's left:

So, oh wise ones of this group, what next?

Clean it up and keep an eye on it? Have I been running with a too-tight chain? Can I change the seals without splitting the case or removing the engine from the frame?

I take some comfort in that the splines of the c/s seem to be ok...
Can you tell us how many miles ? Is it mainly on or off road ? Finding a used cush hub is getting tough , Ive been looking for awhile w no luck.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #3218
APBlack
nOOb on a fly

Oddometer: 200
+1 on the Moly lube. Used it on my Husky and now the Husa. I have always stuck with using stock cs sprockets and never have had a problem but I just put a set of DT sprockets on front and rear. Dang!! I'm going home and taking that front sprocket off. I like the DT washer, it holds up better but going back to stock on the sprocket. I,m sure that's not the sole reason but the stock ones have been good to me. No crush hub yet but that just might happen now as the miles start to add up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
06 KTM 950 Adv (orange one).. gone.. damit
05 Honda 650L.. gone
APBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #3219
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
When you say you replace the seal,your doing the 0-ring/bushing/seal all at once?
Yes. found this: http://www.slavensracing.com/shop/co...r-ktm-husaberg

Old 01-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #3220
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woods wizard View Post
Can you tell us how many miles ? Is it mainly on or off road ? Finding a used cush hub is getting tough , Ive been looking for awhile w no luck.
Just checked the ODO: approx 2,500 miles and 100 hours.

I'd say about 25% dual-sporting / asphalt riding, the rest trail riding.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #3221
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,164
Finding a used KTM hub has been nearly impossible for me at least. ebay, craigslist, UH forum, here in the flea market, etc.... been keeping an eye out all year. Buying a new OEM KTM cush hub from the older adventure bikes is possible according to my local KTM dealer, but it seems the cost is not that much less than a Radd hub by the time you get all the pieces.

I've been talking with Woody and it's around $950 for a complete rear wheel depending on what rim and spokes you go with. You can save some loot by reusing your OEM rim and trading in your OEM hub too.

At least for me, it would have been a wise investment prior to this failure and is a must for the future. Pay now or pay later.
I get to pay both and it's a shock to my winter budget and screwed up our planned trip to Baja.

On the positive side I'm going to have a solid, leak free engine that shouldn't need any major work for many miles and some new shiny bits on my bike... after I donate lots of blood and eat Ramen noodles for the winter.
Photo courtesy Husaberg Adventure Team.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #3222
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Finding a used KTM hub has been nearly impossible for me at least. ebay, craigslist, UH forum, here in the flea market, etc.... been keeping an eye out all year. Buying a new OEM KTM cush hub from the older adventure bikes is possible according to my local KTM dealer, but it seems the cost is not that much less than a Radd hub by the time you get all the pieces.

I've been talking with Woody and it's around $950 for a complete rear wheel depending on what rim and spokes you go with. You can save some loot by reusing your OEM rim and trading in your OEM hub too.

At least for me, it would have been a wise investment prior to this failure and is a must for the future. Pay now or pay later.
I get to pay both and it's a shock to my winter budget and screwed up our planned trip to Baja.

On the positive side I'm going to have a solid, leak free engine that shouldn't need any major work for many miles and some new shiny bits on my bike... after I donate lots of blood and eat Ramen noodles for the winter.
Photo courtesy Husaberg Adventure Team.

That pic is interesting Lost. Woody's told me they didn't have a blue Excel rim option but those from maybe Lukas's bike seem to show there is a Bling Blue option. Hmmm...

My cush hub rear wheel should arrive tomorrow. My rear rim was still in good shape. Will be ordering the stronger DT CS washer.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:59 PM   #3223
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Not 18" so I am not interested. Figured that someone on here may be. 17" wheels off of a lc4. Guy said to make an offer.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/mcy/3521694130.html
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:07 PM   #3224
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,657
What's interesting is that you can buy a brand new Sumo cush rear wheel right from KTM for less than $700 for the assembled wheel/hub/spokes, plus sprocket carrier, and 6 rubber inserts. You would think that someone would be able to offer an offroad width for the same price or less. For that matter, I was thinking about going with sumo sized sized wheels, but mounting 80/20 or 60/40 tires on them. I have seen some sumos with these tires and they look pretty cool, although I have never ridden one. I figure with the original wheels for hard offroad use, a sumo set might be OK for casual DS use?

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:32 PM   #3225
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoilSampleDave View Post
What's interesting is that you can buy a brand new Sumo cush rear wheel right from KTM for less than $700 for the assembled wheel/hub/spokes, plus sprocket carrier, and 6 rubber inserts. You would think that someone would be able to offer an offroad width for the same price or less. For that matter, I was thinking about going with sumo sized sized wheels, but mounting 80/20 or 60/40 tires on them. I have seen some sumos with these tires and they look pretty cool, although I have never ridden one. I figure with the original wheels for hard offroad use, a sumo set might be OK for casual DS use?
I was lucky I found a KTM cush hub.. built by Woody on an excel wheel and heavy duty spokes.. I guess the new KTM;s come with cush built into the clutch somehow.. so the previous owner, who had switched from a Husa to a new KTM350 felt like he didnt need it. Still cost me $450 though.

mrt10x screwed with this post 01-06-2013 at 08:01 PM
mrt10x is offline   Reply With Quote