ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #3226
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer
 
Baja Dad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Norco California
Oddometer: 1,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoilSampleDave View Post
What's interesting is that you can buy a brand new Sumo cush rear wheel right from KTM for less than $700 for the assembled wheel/hub/spokes, plus sprocket carrier, and 6 rubber inserts.
Please show me?????

I have a complete OEM cush wheel I may may sell soon.
__________________
2014 support: GPR,IMS Aurora Rally Kriega, Raiden LS2,100Goggles,SIDI,Seat Concepts, Rally Raid Products UK,Precision Concepts, MX1West,Dunlop
Baja Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #3227
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: The Delta Ghetto, GA (aka PTC)
Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
Please show me?????

I have a complete OEM cush wheel I may may sell soon.
Here is the web page from the best local KTM dealer near me. Damped wheel at the bottom, sprocket carrier and inserts above:
http://www.ktmworld.com/category/81-super-moto.aspx
__________________
Machete don't text!

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:03 PM   #3228
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer
 
Baja Dad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Norco California
Oddometer: 1,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoilSampleDave View Post
Here is the web page from the best local KTM dealer near me. Damped wheel at the bottom, sprocket carrier and inserts above:
http://www.ktmworld.com/category/81-super-moto.aspx
that's a good deal for a 17" cuch wheel ( I would buy it and scrap everything but the hub)
and build a complete 18' wheel you will still spend over $1000 bucks
__________________
2014 support: GPR,IMS Aurora Rally Kriega, Raiden LS2,100Goggles,SIDI,Seat Concepts, Rally Raid Products UK,Precision Concepts, MX1West,Dunlop
Baja Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #3229
Lost Rider
Roadie
 
Lost Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: On Tour!
Oddometer: 3,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
that's a good deal for a 17" cuch wheel ( I would buy it and scrap everything but the hub)
and build a complete 18' wheel you will still spend over $1000 bucks


Yup, just the KTM hub is available for under $300, plus the $200 sprocket carrier, plus rubber thingies. Just about the same price as a Radd hub, with no bling.
KTM world is charging $200 beyond the hub for a rim and spokes, which is a good price except it's not an Excel rim or the right size. Even if you would live with the 17" size it's the same cost as having Woody put a Radd hub on your existing rim after you buy the carrier and bumpers. While I wouldn't mind a SM setup some day, I can't live with the tire choices for a 17" wheel I want to ride dirt on. BTDT

I've lived trying to figure out a way to get a cush hub on my bike without spending $700+ and haven't found a way, the only way I realized is if I would have been lucky enough to score a used 18", something that hasn't worked out yet.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from looking for solutions, would love for that to happen, but I feel in the end it's going to cost what it costs for most of us and I'd rather give Woody my money and get the best wheel available than spend a similar amount after piecing it together, maybe someone can get lucky on a local craigslist find...


Either way this sucks (money out my pocket)


__________________
Photography for me is not about recreating what I saw through
the viewfinder but to show people the way I want to see the world.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:57 PM   #3230
theGrinch
SNF Dream Riders
 
theGrinch's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: On the move
Oddometer: 1,822
Cool2

How about this.http://www.ktmpartshouse.com/ecbaske...5I08JPMQ6632R0

Finn you scared me too so I went and checked my 525 c/s yes dirt tricks sprocket and luckily mine is good.
I use the honda type lube it works and a loose chain just a bit, I do the line up the swing arm bolts c/s to tightest part method. A little more work but worth it.
Trials tires no cush hub but will be soon.



.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
Who's the clueless noob?
theGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:58 PM   #3231
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer
 
BogeyMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: North Bay Area, CA
Oddometer: 425
Fuel pump woes?

Seems to be the season for it...

Can't get my bike to stay running right now... ignition on - fuel pump whirrs and goes silent, then - crank, crank, crank... eventually it'll start. Runs for a bit, then cuts out. Wash. Rinse. Repeat. Can't seem to keep it running.

Is this signs of the fuel pump crapping out? I don't know if I have the new or old style...
__________________
'06 BMW R1200GS - '11 Husaberg FE570S - http://photos.boggis.com
BogeyMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:49 AM   #3232
frostyuk
Gnarly Adventurer
 
frostyuk's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: England
Oddometer: 271
haan wheel

I got a quote for a rear haan wheel, cush hub and excell rim like the ones LukasM had and that was 420gbp delivered in the uk which i thought was a good price but something else needed the money so put that on hold.
frostyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:59 AM   #3233
pRICK
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Pilbara
Oddometer: 329
Slowly coming together

A long distance desert tourer, or a quick change to ride a couple of the local enduro's. Header and mid pipe have just been sent away to be ceramic coated and a Haan cush hubbed wheel is on the way.

Hopefully I have an adaptor coming this week so I can use the two litre water tank in the Force bash plate as an oil reservoir. Not sure if I will go to the trouble of modifying the oil storage to fit a filter or use an external in line filter - if I can find somewhere to mount it.



pRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #3234
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: On a RTW ride - currently Central Asia
Oddometer: 5,330
Sounds interesting pRICK! Which oil adapter are you going with?
__________________
RTW trip blog: https://www.facebook.com/AroundTheWorldWithLukasM
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:11 AM   #3235
Lost Rider
Roadie
 
Lost Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: On Tour!
Oddometer: 3,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyMan View Post
Seems to be the season for it...

Can't get my bike to stay running right now... ignition on - fuel pump whirrs and goes silent, then - crank, crank, crank... eventually it'll start. Runs for a bit, then cuts out. Wash. Rinse. Repeat. Can't seem to keep it running.

Is this signs of the fuel pump crapping out? I don't know if I have the new or old style...


when you say it runs for a bit, do you mean idle, or not run as in riding it and it dies.


I spent a lot of time chasing down a gremlin this summer, turned out to be a loose battery terminal and then a clogged injector. Probably was just the loose terminal at first, but while taking the tank on and off many times I probably got dirt in the quick release... was two different symptoms though. Loose battery terminal it was unpredictable and wouldn't idle or run right, sometimes just quitting, with a clogged injector is just ran very lean and like shit, but ran.


What kind of filtration you have on your bike?



If you get to the point where you ruled out it being anything else and need a fuel pump, I have one... I installed a CAcyworks pump while chasing those gremlins and have my still good, brown OEM one I could loan you for troubleshooting purposes.
__________________
Photography for me is not about recreating what I saw through
the viewfinder but to show people the way I want to see the world.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #3236
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer
 
BogeyMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: North Bay Area, CA
Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
when you say it runs for a bit, do you mean idle, or not run as in riding it and it dies.
Once I do get it to start, it'll idle for a bit (seems to idle a bit low and turning the idle adjust knob seems to have little or no effect). I can ride it, but if I let it die, it's a bugger to restart. Pulling the idle out works for starting cold, but not once the engine's warm. The manual says turning it should adjust the idle, but doesn't seem to do anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
I spent a lot of time chasing down a gremlin this summer, turned out to be a loose battery terminal and then a clogged injector. Probably was just the loose terminal at first, but while taking the tank on and off many times I probably got dirt in the quick release... was two different symptoms though. Loose battery terminal it was unpredictable and wouldn't idle or run right, sometimes just quitting, with a clogged injector is just ran very lean and like shit, but ran.
Definitely *not* loose terminals. I did check thm - plus it's a new (and fully charged) LiPO battery. BUT, I guess it's worth checking the complete path from terminals to ground and all other 'leccy connections.

Hadn't thought about injector. That's a good call. Any wisdom on cleaning them (it)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
What kind of filtration you have on your bike?
Twin-Air filter and NotOil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
If you get to the point where you ruled out it being anything else and need a fuel pump, I have one... I installed a CAcyworks pump while chasing those gremlins and have my still good, brown OEM one I could loan you for troubleshooting purposes.
Cheers. Hold that thought. I'll run through the other possibilities you mention first and drop you a line if necessary.
__________________
'06 BMW R1200GS - '11 Husaberg FE570S - http://photos.boggis.com
BogeyMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #3237
Lost Rider
Roadie
 
Lost Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: On Tour!
Oddometer: 3,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyMan View Post
Once I do get it to start, it'll idle for a bit (seems to idle a bit low and turning the idle adjust knob seems to have little or no effect). I can ride it, but if I let it die, it's a bugger to restart. Pulling the idle out works for starting cold, but not once the engine's warm. The manual says turning it should adjust the idle, but doesn't seem to do anything.



Definitely *not* loose terminals. I did check thm - plus it's a new (and fully charged) LiPO battery. BUT, I guess it's worth checking the complete path from terminals to ground and all other 'leccy connections.

Hadn't thought about injector. That's a good call. Any wisdom on cleaning them (it)?


Twin-Air filter and NotOil.


Cheers. Hold that thought. I'll run through the other possibilities you mention first and drop you a line if necessary.

Right on. I found my loose terminal wasn't obviously loose, but when I removed my Shorai and installed the OEM battery that first problem I had went away. Seems like these bikes a pretty sensitive that way.
After narrowing it down to clogged injector and cleaning it making it run perfectly I put the Shorai back in and have had no problems since. Logic says there was something loose or not passing constant voltage. Did this problem occur after installing the new battery?... what's the voltage on that battery? Might want to swap it back out to rule that out of the equation, since it's an easy job.

Do you have the new, grey KTM inline fuel filter kit that's supplied free via factory recall? the one that goes in the fuel line right before the injector? I did not have it in before I got the clogged injector.

As for cleaning the injector, following the wisdom on UH forum I cleaned it after removing it by using a 9v battery to "open" it and carb cleaner to spray it out while power was applied to it.
__________________
Photography for me is not about recreating what I saw through
the viewfinder but to show people the way I want to see the world.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:48 AM   #3238
pRICK
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Pilbara
Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Sounds interesting pRICK! Which oil adapter are you going with?
I will have an answer tomorrow. I will use a full flow system with remote filter. Two litres in the bash plate is probably too much, so might try to split it to 1-1.2 litre oil and enlarge the tool section. Should be able to mount a K&N or similar remote filter in the tool section.
pRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:14 AM   #3239
Åmme
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by pRICK View Post
I will have an answer tomorrow. I will use a full flow system with remote filter. Two litres in the bash plate is probably too much, so might try to split it to 1-1.2 litre oil and enlarge the tool section. Should be able to mount a K&N or similar remote filter in the tool section.
Have you thought about using the extra filter housing KTM uses on the old 660 Rally bikes
Åmme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:21 AM   #3240
pRICK
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Pilbara
Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Åmme View Post
Have you thought about using the extra filter housing KTM uses on the old 660 Rally bikes
Tell me more.......................photo's................ .......
pRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014