Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #3361
rensho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
It will not come close to the same cooling, just compare CFM ratings.

IMO the DT fan makes sense on bikes where you need extra cooling on top of the KTM fan, as it should fit on the left radiator while the KTM does not. Or maybe on bikes with very limited stator output, which is not a problem on our Bergs.
They're close, but you're right, the stock ktm fan is 124cfm, the DT fan is 102cfm. The DT fan only draws 0.75A, whereas the KTM fan draws 1.9A. 8 watts vs 22. Since the Husa has a 210 watt stator, we still have some headroom before we need to watch power draw.

On the topic of heat, have people had issues with cooling at all? Worst case scenario, higher elevation, hot, slow riding/climbing?
rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:12 AM   #3362
frostyuk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Gear Shifter

Am thinking of replacing/upgrading the gear shifter on my 450 as the tip is worn and a bit loose, the lever shaft also has a bit of damage too. I was looking at the rfx forged lever as it looks like it will bend easy and not damage the shift shaft but from reading around the rfx kit doesnt get good write ups, the hammerhead looks good ( and a tad more expensive) but as its tougher than stock is it likely to damage the shift shaft or will it bend first? or am i better off staying with oem unit?

cheers

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take
away"
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900-1944)
frostyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:55 AM   #3363
woods wizard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 752
I use the Hammerhead on my 250 & love it. I dont think it will cause a problem but I havent had any impacts to it . Very well made & wouldnt hesitate to buy another.l
Old 01-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #3364
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,948
Battery Tender

Decided I needed to put a battery tender on my 2011 FE 390 yesterday. I just clipped it to the battery terminals and when I plugged it in the FI light and fuel pump came on for a couple of seconds, then off, a few seconds later they cycled again. I disconnected the battery tender.
Is this to be expected? Am I going to have to disconnect the battery to hook up the battery tender?

GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #3365
thisflatearth
Pro-Commuter

Oddometer: 944
2010 husaberg 390 blown topend

There is a 390fe for sale locally to me with a "blown" top end.

I sent the seller a message to find out what is wrong. But is there something that pops on these motors and what am I looking at to replace the whole head or possibly the top end (piston etc..)

Thanks

If anyone is also in the area feel free to buy it out from under me

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/3573961411.html

UPDATE
And I quote "It is repairable it will be expensive if your not fixing it yourself. Top end blew. 2 of 4 valves are bad head blew. Piston is still good as is tranny"

So I will dig deeper ask him if he opened it or someone else did. Time to call the parts counter.

thisflatearth screwed with this post 01-28-2013 at 10:40 AM
thisflatearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:56 AM   #3366
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,553
Get on ktmtalk and you can get close by filling the basket for a KTM 530, valves, head, etc. It ain't cheap, and I'd be replacing the piston, hone the cylinder at Millenium and probably the crank rebuilt too, just because. I did the parts for a crank/top end and everything I considered typical wear items on my 505. I hit $2400 at my discount of 25% and never touched the head at all. Bearings, seals, camchain, sliders, bearings, piston, cylinder matching, etc...

There isn't a typical head/valve problem in those engines.
Navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #3367
rensho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee Bill View Post
Decided I needed to put a battery tender on my 2011 FE 390 yesterday. I just clipped it to the battery terminals and when I plugged it in the FI light and fuel pump came on for a couple of seconds, then off, a few seconds later they cycled again. I disconnected the battery tender.
Is this to be expected? Am I going to have to disconnect the battery to hook up the battery tender?

I remember reading that some folks had to pull the fuel pump fuse in order to put in on the charger. Might want to dig into a little more. My 570 has an ignition key, and I do not have to do anything when putting it on the charger. Not sure if that is a difference.
rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:02 PM   #3368
hillwalker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:

My 390 does the same thing. I just pull the main fuse when I put it on the tender. No issues.
hillwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:16 PM   #3369
FamilyRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Quote:

This is a known issue with some chargers. Some people pull the main fuse. I found it easier to pull the main wiring harness, which sits right above the fuse. (the fuse above the connector is a spare). Or do like I finally did - switch to a lithium battery. No need for a tender - and it shaved almost 4 lbs of weight off the top of the bike.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:27 PM   #3370
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,948
Thanks for the response, I went out and 'found' the main fuse, pulled it with no effect, bike still starts. Now I see here I probably pulled a spare fuse

So then I decided to read the manual, it says to disconnect the battery before connecting a battery tender. So I did that. Now I need to go back and find the real main fuse. Probably easier to pull that that disconnect the battery.

GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #3371
FamilyRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for the response, I went out and 'found' the main fuse, pulled it with no effect, bike still starts. Now I see here I probably pulled a spare fuse

So then I decided to read the manual, it says to disconnect the battery before connecting a battery tender. So I did that. Now I need to go back and find the real main fuse. Probably easier to pull that that disconnect the battery.

Disconnecting the battery is a pain. All you really need to do is disconnect the ECU so it isn't responding the charge voltages. Directly under the spare fuse is the main power connector that drives everything connected to the power relay. Just use a small screw driver to press in the latch and wiggle out the connector. Then remember to plug it back in after charging. Or if you prefer to pull the main fuse, it is directly below the connector. You can see both fuses and the connector in this photo, just left of center.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:18 PM   #3372
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyRider View Post
Disconnecting the battery is a pain. All you really need to do is disconnect the ECU so it isn't responding the charge voltages. Directly under the spare fuse is the main power connector that drives everything connected to the power relay. Just use a small screw driver to press in the latch and wiggle out the connector. Then remember to plug it back in after charging. Or if you prefer to pull the main fuse, it is directly below the connector. You can see both fuses and the connector in this photo, just left of center.

DANG! My bike hasn't looked that clean since it left the showroom.

I never even bother pulling a fuse when I hook up my battery tender/charger and I have never had a problem on any of my bikes, fuel injected or otherwise.
http://photos.boggis.com
BogeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:28 PM   #3373
PABiker
Anywhere but here

Oddometer: 3,786
I pull the white plug out of the starter solenoid.
PABiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #3374
Cyberg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
UPDATE
And I quote "It is repairable it will be expensive if your not fixing it yourself. Top end blew. 2 of 4 valves are bad head blew. Piston is still good as is tranny"

So I will dig deeper ask him if he opened it or someone else did. Time to call the parts counter.[/QUOTE]

I bet the intake rocker locked up on the shaft. This has been an issue on a few bikes.
Tell him you will give him 1500 and bet you can fix the top end for 1000 or less.
New rockers, shafts, valves, and machine work
Old 01-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #3375
FamilyRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyMan View Post
DANG! My bike hasn't looked that clean since it left the showroom.

I never even bother pulling a fuse when I hook up my battery tender/charger and I have never had a problem on any of my bikes, fuel injected or otherwise.
That photo was taken before my bike got in the dirt. I bought it in November and tinkered with it all winter. Didn't get to ride it until spring. It will never be that clean again.

I have heard that some battery chargers don't trigger the ECU while others do.