ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 04:39 PM   #3391
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer
 
Shawnee Bill's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Oddometer: 1,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Much easier......just disconnect the electrical connector to the fuel pump! It's right under front of seat at bottom of air filter. No tools required. Slip off, snap back on. When the Tender is turned on, I get one click and flash of lights then nothing else. The fuel pump cannot run or hum this way. Piece of cake.....works great.

HF
This is the winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Interesting. Since I've never had my 390 on a battery tender, even at 20F, I've never experienced the fuel pump running on tender issue. The Shorai I have in the 390 holds it's charge even many weeks or months later. Starts right up. That's the nice thing about Lithium batts, they hold their charge for a year easily, with no trickle charger needed.
I don't have a battery problem, it's just that I always seemed to have batteries last much longer if put on a battery tender regularly. Although with the 'berg I'm tempted to go to a Shorai just because the space under the seat is so cramped, just a silly mm there would be nice to have.


.
__________________
1200 GSAW
FE 390
KLR 650 (not new)
GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:50 PM   #3392
SmileyRider
With lots of Teeth
 
SmileyRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Canada
Oddometer: 37
Tapping the stock subframe

I have found a guy locally selling one of the old model subframe tanks and I am going to buy it.

My question is, why haven't more people tried to convert there stock subframes into tanks?
The only thing I can think of is the 70 degree racing tanks might be sturdier

I've searched many forums and have not actually found any people who have done it. I've read some people say they have heard that it causes swelling or leaks, but none of these people tried it themselves.
That guy on the expedition portal with his 570 did it successfully.

Seems all you need to do is put a tap in the bottom of the subframe and a vent in the top?
SmileyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:50 PM   #3393
Blakduk
Just trying to get by.
 
Blakduk's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Cooroy
Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyRider View Post
I have found a guy locally selling one of the old model subframe tanks and I am going to buy it.

My question is, why haven't more people tried to convert there stock subframes into tanks?
The only thing I can think of is the 70 degree racing tanks might be sturdier

I've searched many forums and have not actually found any people who have done it. I've read some people say they have heard that it causes swelling or leaks, but none of these people tried it themselves.
That guy on the expedition portal with his 570 did it successfully.

Seems all you need to do is put a tap in the bottom of the subframe and a vent in the top?
Great idea, I wouldn't have to lose the lovely black subframe the 2012's have.
__________________
FE450.
XT660R

In any human interaction where money is moving from you to another; NEVER trust ANYTHING you are told.
Blakduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:30 PM   #3394
Åmme
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyRider View Post
I have found a guy locally selling one of the old model subframe tanks and I am going to buy it.

My question is, why haven't more people tried to convert there stock subframes into tanks?
The only thing I can think of is the 70 degree racing tanks might be sturdier

I've searched many forums and have not actually found any people who have done it. I've read some people say they have heard that it causes swelling or leaks, but none of these people tried it themselves.
That guy on the expedition portal with his 570 did it successfully.

Seems all you need to do is put a tap in the bottom of the subframe and a vent in the top?
Done it on both my bikes 2009 & 2012 and it's easy, the gray subfram will swell a bit if you leave fuel in it otherwise a quick and cheap solution.
Åmme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:46 PM   #3395
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait
 
UngaWunga's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: NH
Oddometer: 7,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Åmme View Post
Done it on both my bikes 2009 & 2012 and it's easy, the gray subfram will swell a bit if you leave fuel in it otherwise a quick and cheap solution.

Any thoughts to coating the inside with Coswell, POR-15 or some other fuel tank coating gunk?

Got any pics of the setup? Saving $500 sounds good to me...
__________________
"There isn't any secret," he said. "It's all very obvious."
UngaWunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:22 PM   #3396
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer
 
RememberTheFallen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: North Georgia
Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga View Post
Any thoughts to coating the inside with Coswell, POR-15 or some other fuel tank coating gunk?

Got any pics of the setup? Saving $500 sounds good to me...
Ya, I second the request for pics!

The $500 is not the bad part for me; it is the eternal wait for new tanks to be molded and actually available!
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:57 PM   #3397
SRG
SRG
 
SRG's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Charlottesville, Virginia USA
Oddometer: 1,196
I'm all ears on converting the subframe to hold fuel too. If someone could post up a detailed and proven how-to - it would be a great contribution to this thread.

2010 FX450
__________________
Lazy Traveler
SRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:38 PM   #3398
Blakduk
Just trying to get by.
 
Blakduk's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Cooroy
Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Åmme View Post
Done it on both my bikes 2009 & 2012 and it's easy, the gray subfram will swell a bit if you leave fuel in it otherwise a quick and cheap solution.

yes, Yes, YEs, YES. Photos and more info please. You sound like that guy who was lauded by Husaberg owners the world over for leading them out of Egypt to the Promised Land of 300km range.
__________________
FE450.
XT660R

In any human interaction where money is moving from you to another; NEVER trust ANYTHING you are told.
Blakduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:09 AM   #3399
frostyuk
Gnarly Adventurer
 
frostyuk's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: England
Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Åmme View Post
Done it on both my bikes 2009 & 2012 and it's easy, the gray subfram will swell a bit if you leave fuel in it otherwise a quick and cheap solution.
How many litres do you get in there?
__________________
Mine's a 70Degree Berg 09 FE450

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take
away"
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900-1944)
frostyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:32 AM   #3400
pRICK
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Pilbara
Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerT View Post
Any reason why he is not making these anymore and what is the possibility of someone else producing these?
Everyone wants one, but no one wants to pay for it!!!! Don only had four made for the bergs and he was only selling complete cooler kits. This is one adaptor that was left over. I wish he had a cooler.

Rick
pRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:45 AM   #3401
pRICK
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Pilbara
Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
How about him just selling the CAD CNC file so we can get them made here if he doesn't want to make them?....

I have a great machinist and with that file could get a quote for a group buy...
I was thinking the same thing, I might get in touch and see if he would have ten or so made and take the risk ten berg owners would want them. They should fit any KTM that takes the 77038005000 filter.

If anyone is interested send me a PM. I will get in touch with Don and see what quantity he would need to make it worth while, or if he would even consider selling them separate and not as a cooler kit.

Rick
pRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:53 AM   #3402
Cruz
Lost but laughing.
 
Cruz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Northside Brisbane, Qld Australia
Oddometer: 5,876
Spoke with him early last year. Something happened with his machinist making them, the cost became too high and then the 70 degree motor was gone.
__________________
"I reckon it would be good getting a heap of XR's in the one spot and watching a heap of blokes kicking fuck out of there bikes and swearing."

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:24 AM   #3403
HighFive
Never Tap-Out
 
HighFive's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Okiehoma
Oddometer: 2,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Interesting. Since I've never had my 390 on a battery tender, even at 20F, I've never experienced the fuel pump running on tender issue. The Shorai I have in the 390 holds it's charge even many weeks or months later. Starts right up. That's the nice thing about Lithium batts, they hold their charge for a year easily, with no trickle charger needed.
Yeah.....until they catch fire or explode.

Fabulously interesting Thread (& testing) here: Is Lithium Up to the Challenge

I know Joel....very sharp, professional mechanic.....got to spend time with him one evening over dinner last year. Made me a little nervous, when I heard the details first hand. My fat lead weight has never failed me on my Berg, but I'd like to make that switch if/when it did. BUT, its got me twitchy.

Keeping my eye on you, Cyborg. Recall, I never parked my Berg too close to yours, except for brief photo-ops, during the epic: Bergs Over the Rainbow.

I'd like to put a lithium in the Terra too. But it might cause me to lose some sleep.

HF
__________________
'13 Husky TR650 Terra, '11 Husaberg FE390, '10 BMW F800GS, '12 BMW R1200GS
The Okie-Dokie BDR Terra-izing the CDR Bergs Over the Rainbow
Texas or Bust! Rocky Mountain HighFive The Other Side of Nowhere
Athena Big Bore Project

HighFive screwed with this post 02-01-2013 at 06:39 AM
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:28 AM   #3404
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!
 
Seth S's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: sanity?
Oddometer: 4,277
from the 70 degree website:

"UPDATE: 12-23-12
I was recently contacted by our current molder after I had emailed and asked when I could pick up the next batch of tanks, and this was the reply I got:

Dale, we have just renewed our product liability insurance and have been notified that we are not covered for products of fuel tanks. Therefore as much as I hate to tell you at this time we can no longer mold your tanks, which is disappointing to us also since Rick has done so much work on your product. Thank You and let me know when you want to schedule to pick up everything or If I can help with anything.

I have already contacted another local molder that makes many of the aftermarket gas tanks for dirt bikes. I will keep you all posted as soon as I hear something. I currently have enough tanks to fill those who pre paid and have been waiting, as well as the warranty tanks. Please watch the thread below for future updates."
__________________
Seth S

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:01 AM   #3405
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead
 
mrt10x's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Woodland Park, CO
Oddometer: 3,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
from the 70 degree website:

"UPDATE: 12-23-12
I was recently contacted by our current molder after I had emailed and asked when I could pick up the next batch of tanks, and this was the reply I got:

Dale, we have just renewed our product liability insurance and have been notified that we are not covered for products of fuel tanks. Therefore as much as I hate to tell you at this time we can no longer mold your tanks, which is disappointing to us also since Rick has done so much work on your product. Thank You and let me know when you want to schedule to pick up everything or If I can help with anything.

I have already contacted another local molder that makes many of the aftermarket gas tanks for dirt bikes. I will keep you all posted as soon as I hear something. I currently have enough tanks to fill those who pre paid and have been waiting, as well as the warranty tanks. Please watch the thread below for future updates."
That is why I cancelled my order with KTM-Parts.com and ordered the front safari tank.. I surrendered after a year. I figure if he ever gets production going again I can order the subframe tank and then have 5 gallons on the bike... since I am moving to Colorado here in a couple of months I figure I will need all the range I can get.
__________________
We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of "security." And in the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine - and before we know it our lives are gone.
mrt10x is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014