Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2013, 05:26 AM   #3946
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyuk View Post
im running 12/52 with an mt43 no issues
Do all years have the same gear box? I am amazed by some of the gearing that y'all are running. I am currently running 14/47 and happy all around with it. Have a 13 front that I tried for single track here but felt like I barely used it. Either I am slipping the clutch too much or y'all ride some hard core stuff!
RememberTheFallen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:32 AM   #3947
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
Yeah, all 70 Bergs and 08-11 4t EXC-Rs run the same gearboxes.

12/52 really does seem very low.

I run 15/50 for open desert stuff and 13/50 for slow enduro, although I'm on a 570.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:18 AM   #3948
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTheFallen View Post
Do all years have the same gear box? I am amazed by some of the gearing that y'all are running. I am currently running 14/47 and happy all around with it. Have a 13 front that I tried for single track here but felt like I barely used it. Either I am slipping the clutch too much or y'all ride some hard core stuff!
East coast slime rocks and roots...I plan on re-gearing out West

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-10-2013, 07:04 AM   #3949
frostyuk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
i was running 13/52 which is what came with the bike when i got it, i've been doing some long distance trials comps recently against 200cc pamperas and gas gas etc so slow tight nadgery stuff, and as i'm not the best of riders the lower gearing helped me considerably this time round. i liked it a lot tbh so will keep it on for a few weeks and see how it fairs on my normal rides

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take
away"
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900-1944)
frostyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #3950
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by rensho View Post
So far, I do like the MT43, but don't have enough time on it yet. 2 rides, 350 miles.

I'm running tubliss as well (new to me), so lot's has changed.
As far as I can tell, I'm not going to get any more life out of the MT43 than any previous tyre, but I like the way it works.

How'r you liking the Tubliss? I've been thinking about going that route. Does it complicate tire changes?
http://photos.boggis.com
BogeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #3951
rensho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyMan View Post
As far as I can tell, I'm not going to get any more life out of the MT43 than any previous tyre, but I like the way it works.

How'r you liking the Tubliss? I've been thinking about going that route. Does it complicate tire changes?
New to tubliss as well. I went to it because I thought tire changes suck with tubes! ;)

Too new to me to comment really. I'm a believer in tubeless tires for bikes, so I've always wanted to try for moto.

The install is very easy, and way easier to spoon tires on now. I haven't changed tires with the tubliss on, so I can't comment, but I don't see how it would be more difficult than when I installed.

The tubliss innertube will lose air through days/weeks, so you should air that up when you ride. I pump mine up with a floor pump for my bike and check the tire pressure as well. I run a small amount of slime/stans fluid in the tire for thorn/nail sealing and carry a tire plug kit in case I get a larger hole.

If you have to remove the tubliss on trail and run a tube, you'll also need to carry a spare rimlock, or go without and run higher pressure.

We just came back from riding out in Bodie, CA and the tire setup worked well. I ran 15F/15R cold. I've had them down to 11 and the front is pretty squirmy, as the carcass is too soft. 15 seems to work well front with my MX tire.

I have 400 mi on the MT43, with some fast pavement thrown in. It seems hot street riding will dull them considerably. I think the tire will go 1000 miles or so for me at this rate, which may be a little more than my 606.
rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #3952
Possu
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyuk View Post
i was running 13/52 which is what came with the bike when i got it, i've been doing some long distance trials comps recently against 200cc pamperas and gas gas etc so slow tight nadgery stuff, and as i'm not the best of riders the lower gearing helped me considerably this time round. i liked it a lot tbh so will keep it on for a few weeks and see how it fairs on my normal rides
Same here, my 390 came with either 13/51 or 13/52 when I bought it used in Sep't 2011 and that's what I've stuck with, seems to work okay on all of the trails I've ridden so far.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #3953
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTheFallen View Post
I run a 14-45 or 14 48

WHY would anyone run a 50 or 52??? the is MX track gearing
Old 06-10-2013, 06:39 PM   #3954
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,200
Honestly I am a noob to dirt.. but everyone back here runs 50, 51, 52??
Old 06-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #3955
rensho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
I run a 14-45 or 14 48

WHY would anyone run a 50 or 52??? the is MX track gearing
I get along with a 14/45 just fine. I wanted to run a 15T to have less chain wrap, so I bought a 50 for the rear.
rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:34 PM   #3956
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,900
In the tight and hilly tracks and rocks and creeks those rear sprockets with # 40s on them won't cut it and just abuses your clutch for no reason. I am on a 390 though.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:47 PM   #3957
TLtrials
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
For racing enduros and hare scrambles on my previous 2009 FE450, I was 13/53 gearing. Worked great for 2nd and 3rd gear single track.

For me, the higher gearing ends up with 1st to low and 2nd to high, ending up with being in between gears in some cases to carry momentum, maximize traction, and minimizing wheel spin over roots, rocks, and mud. So the lower gearing helps bridge the gap allowing the full use of 2,3,4 in the woods, then 5th and 6th for fields and transfers. 1st is pretty much useless, unless you are crawling. Not the gearing for everyone in various regions, just worked for me.

My FE570, I am running 13/45 right now. Working good as dual sport duty. The 570 has plenty of grunt to pull the higher gearing in the single track woods, and OK on the highway for short stints on back roads and dirt roads.
TLtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:43 AM   #3958
thebackcountry
BackCountry

Oddometer: 10
this is funny about gearing. When I got my 570 I made the dealer take off the seemingly silly "Street Use" 45, and put on a 50. The bike would only go 70 tops. Now I have the stock 45 on there, and this thing just as so much power, that I can ride any difficulty trail or climb no problem with that tall gear. And the bike will do 85 comfortably.

It's my 300 that has the gearing issues. All my tinkering with gearing, and the only solution I can seem to think of to give it the pull I want is to stuff a 570 motor in the thing.
thebackcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:32 AM   #3959
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebackcountry View Post
this is funny about gearing. When I got my 570 I made the dealer take off the seemingly silly "Street Use" 45, and put on a 50. The bike would only go 70 tops. Now I have the stock 45 on there, and this thing just as so much power, that I can ride any difficulty trail or climb no problem with that tall gear. And the bike will do 85 comfortably.

It's my 300 that has the gearing issues. All my tinkering with gearing, and the only solution I can seem to think of to give it the pull I want is to stuff a 570 motor in the thing.
Hell, mine came with a 42 tooth rear! Got it up 99mph indicated going down a slight hill before it leveled out and just wouldn't pull anymore. Useless gear if you ask me.

TLTrials, didn't think about using the lower gearing to get in the meat of 2,3, and 4. I just knew it made 1st useless. Did notice that I am constantly between 1st and 2nd with my current gearing. Gonna put the 13 back up front and try it out longer.
RememberTheFallen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:27 AM   #3960
chief_lee_visceral
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by rensho View Post
New to tubliss as well. I went to it because I thought tire changes suck with tubes! ;)

Too new to me to comment really. I'm a believer in tubeless tires for bikes, so I've always wanted to try for moto.

The install is very easy, and way easier to spoon tires on now. I haven't changed tires with the tubliss on, so I can't comment, but I don't see how it would be more difficult than when I installed.

The tubliss innertube will lose air through days/weeks, so you should air that up when you ride. I pump mine up with a floor pump for my bike and check the tire pressure as well. I run a small amount of slime/stans fluid in the tire for thorn/nail sealing and carry a tire plug kit in case I get a larger hole.

If you have to remove the tubliss on trail and run a tube, you'll also need to carry a spare rimlock, or go without and run higher pressure.

We just came back from riding out in Bodie, CA and the tire setup worked well. I ran 15F/15R cold. I've had them down to 11 and the front is pretty squirmy, as the carcass is too soft. 15 seems to work well front with my MX tire.

I have 400 mi on the MT43, with some fast pavement thrown in. It seems hot street riding will dull them considerably. I think the tire will go 1000 miles or so for me at this rate, which may be a little more than my 606.
I have Tubliss so I can run low pressures. I think that is point of Tubliss IMHO. With an MT43 I run as low as 5 psi in rear on trail. NW rock and root trails mind you. I am getting a set of cush hubs built to swap on 606 with tubes for adv rides.