Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2011, 01:46 AM   #811
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,726
Feedback on a few other threads in here. Early models had failures, newer ones not wearing that well, reporting little benefit , not cheap.

A search should turn them up.

Fitted this to mine, you can notice the difference.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:10 AM   #812
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Is anyone using the 70 Degree sub tank and the Safari front tank together with the OEM?

Any problems with the fuel line plumbing etc?

http://www.safaritanks.com.au/home/1...ypage.tpl.html

xronly
Old 06-30-2011, 07:19 PM   #813
Duken4evr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
I have the 70 Degree tank on mine. The only issue I had was when I hammer hard over bumps, the vent on the top of the tank pukes gas into the vent line which runs forward. This caused the tank to not vent right and seek a common level with the main tank.

I put a one way valve for a normal gas cap vent in the subframe tank's vent tube right were it exits the tank. It does not allow the fuel to go into the line, but seems to allow the air to slowly escape and the fuel to eventually seek a common level in the tank. If I really need it full, I fill it the night before a ride and then top it off with another quart or so in the morning. The other option is to undo the fill cap on the side of the subframe tank so it can breathe and fill.

Even if I just do a "quick fill", having an extra 3/4 of a gallon or so on board is nice. It is a lot of money for the not big increase in fuel capacity, but it works well for my rides, which usually run 60 to 100 miles of tough off road. Never have to worry about running out of fuel for my rides and the tank does not affect the ergos and does not notably impact handling, probably because it does not add a lot of fuel! Oh well. the extra peace of mind of having a bit of extra fuel on board with no handling penalty is nice. It is also nice to be able to see the fuel level in the sub tank, as my bike has a black main tank on it.

Is that and the moderate hassle of installing it worth $449? Perhaps not for many, but the only other option is the bigger Safari main tank that costs over $700. Only the buyer can decide I guess. Does make me miss the days of the brain dead simple to install 3.2 gal $165 IMS tank on my last bike!
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:14 PM   #814
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,250
I run a long vent line for the rear 70 degree tank along the frame by the airbox and up on the frame at the steering head. and then put a manual on off valve for venting. You only need to turn it on when you get low on gas on the main tank. Otherwise it will continue to spew gas from the sloshing back and forth from off road riding when full. This is the only solution I could come up with and live with. Tank will spew gas on the pipe if you vent it at the rear so you need to route the vent to the steering head for best performance.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:48 AM   #815
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,073
When I looked at the gas tank options I saw the 70 degree for$ 450 which added 1 gallon or the aqualine safari rear for $520 which adds 2:5 gallons. I went with the safari but have not installed it yet. I think for more local single track riding and for your average hair scramble/enduro the 70 degree tank is a better option because it doesn't alter the lines of the bike and adds just enough range. My range on the 450 has been between 70 and 90 miles so far. 35 to 45 mpg.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:55 AM   #816
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,901
[QUOTE=Wyobrew;15974390]So far so good!

Any chance someone will post pics of the Safari tank from the top/rear of the bike to see the difference in width at the knees and seat junction? Thanks.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:10 PM   #817
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,357
Speaking of tanks, mileage, etc, I checked mine the other day and I am getting 42 MPG. That's dual sporting. I'm thinking that should be good for fairly decent range with the stock tank. And I can carry 2 x 1.5 liter fuel bottles in my pack for about 3/4 of a gallon more if I think I'll need it.

I think I only get about 1/2 that mileage while racing, though, but usually needing to fuel up is not an issue in the races I generally do, so I'll probably pass on the subframe tank for now.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:28 PM   #818
D K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Wow, these bikes look nice!

What's the general consensus of these bikes on the road?

Or are these strictly for trail (type) riding?

D
’08 950SE for sale in SoCal
’09 FE570 patiently waiting..
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:51 PM   #819
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D K View Post
Wow, these bikes look nice!

What's the general consensus of these bikes on the road?

Or are these strictly for trail (type) riding?

D
I went from the X Challenge to a 390 Berg at the moment, though working out whether to go up to the 570 Berg. Big benefit of these bikes is that what fits one model fits the other models.

Once I had the wheels balanced on the Berg it sits on 100kph easily and is a bit smoother on the road than the XCH. It doesn't have the low down torque but makes up for it in light weight, brilliant handling, brilliant brakes and suspension. I have fitted the 70 degree tank to mine so get over 220 klm from the 12 litres. If you are into more trail riding and not long road miles or carrying gear then for me so far the Berg is a lot nicer ride. Fitted a cush hub to my Berg to smooth things out, XCH is standard.

I do not think the Berg motors will do anything like the XCH though.

The standard seat on the Berg is very comfortable compared to a XCH, and they are a lot thinner between the calves/ankle area when up on the pegs.

Berg is a lot easier to work on.

Hope that helps.

xronly
Old 07-10-2011, 06:55 PM   #820
PABiker
Anywhere but here

Oddometer: 3,741
Built my new low version Husaberg seat since I sold the standard height version to my buddy, I think it came out pretty good:

As nice as the standard version just lower.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:45 AM   #821
Dahlin
Need more time...

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
Thanks. I was hoping someone would have already mounted a set and could give me the exact size info.
I have used 90/90-21 front and Michelin 130/80-18, Michelin 110/90-19 (different rim) and the Metzler 6-days 140/80-18, they all woks fine.
2012 Husaberg FE390
Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:05 PM   #822
D K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Why do I start drooling every time I see a picture of a 70deg motor???

Do these Bergs come with a key? Or are they like a regular dirt bike where you just turn on the ignition, fire and go...
’08 950SE for sale in SoCal
’09 FE570 patiently waiting..
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:46 PM   #823
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Push a button and go.

They have a steering lock key.

xronly
Old 07-11-2011, 06:30 PM   #824
TLtrials
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
2011 FE and FS 570

The 2011 FE and FS 570 bikes have a key and switch, as they come street legal for the US.

All other US models do not come factory with a key or switch.

My 09 FE450 doesn't have the steering lock or a key switch. Just hit the button and go. I think some guys have added a KTM key switch to some.
TLtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:57 AM   #825
Wyobrew
Missed it by that mu

Oddometer: 460
Safari Tank

Quote:

Any chance someone will post pics of the Safari tank from the top/rear of the bike to see the difference in width at the knees and seat junction? Thanks.
Here are some additional pics of the Safari tank on my 570. The increase in width is just over 3/4 of an inch on each side at the widest point and also at the knees. There is however a great pocket molded into the tank which is nice when riding with my knee guards. If you don't want to have 150 mile range, I would suggest the subframe tank to add a single gallon. The Safari is by far the best solution for my riding. I just took it out on a nasty 60 mile singletrack loop with 50+ large log crossings and the bike performed flawlessly. The tank is a non issue once you get past it looking so big.

Wyobrew is offline   Reply With Quote