Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2011, 09:21 AM   #1096
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,492
They are aware of the many fuel pump problems iun 2010-11 bikes and should cover it with no issues at all. if your dealer doesn't know about it just have him call KTM. Your symptoms are the classic FP overheat seizure. Eventually it will just fail completely or be intermittant while cool.

Updated pump is said to have better clearance for impeller and cures the problem completely.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #1097
Possu
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,218
Damper fitment?

What are available options for fitting the upright post that connects to the arm of my Scotts damper on an FE390?

Is there anything available that fastens in to the recess in the top frame tube behind the headstock? Anyone know of any potential problems with locating the post here?
Old 09-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #1098
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possu View Post
What are available options for fitting the upright post that connects to the arm of my Scotts damper on an FE390?

Is there anything available that fastens in to the recess in the top frame tube behind the headstock? Anyone know of any potential problems with locating the post here?
I have a Scotts kit in a box still to install on my FE390. I can post pix later of what's in the kit if that will help.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:04 PM   #1099
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
I have a Scotts kit in a box still to install on my FE390. I can post pix later of what's in the kit if that will help.
I put a Scotts on mine, it fits fine. I did do a little grinding on the steering stem bracket so that it cleared the welds. Variations in the welds in that area may require that, I needed to, ymmv of course. The only think I don't like about the scotts is that it requires you to basically take the front end apart. Too bad they don't make the steering stem collar in two pieces, then installation would be a bout 10 minutes, instead of quite a bit longer. On the upside, the way it is gives you a chance to grease the steering head bearings.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
'12 Beta EVO 2
nobrakes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:36 PM   #1100
PABiker
Anywhere but here

Oddometer: 3,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucos View Post
Sweet. Idiots are always smarter than the manual. The spring fell in the drain of my pan, dug it out and all should be well now. Thanks, I owe you a beer next time you are in CO.

PABiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:40 PM   #1101
PABiker
Anywhere but here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullskin View Post
I was riding my 2011 FE570S yesterday and it stalled on me when I came to a stop and it wouldn't refire. I cycled the key and the fuel pump didn't make it's usual sound. It didn't do anything at all. After letting the bike sit for 20 minutes, I tried it again and the fuel pump cycled, the bike started and and I hurried home. I saw in some previous posts that some guys had some fuel pump problems. Since the bike is still under warranty, is this something the dealer would take care of? Would they just take my word for it, since the bike doesn't have any symptoms after restarting, or do I have to wait till if permanently fails and leaves me somewhere? Just curious how other people got this resolved.
You bought it at Five Star right? Both mine and 2 of my buddies pumps failed, Phil replaced all 3 for free even though the bikes were way past the 30 day warranty.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:46 PM   #1102
PABiker
Anywhere but here

Quote:
Be careful with the Scott's and GPR clamps, the lock nut is in front so the casting is very close to the wiring. Mine was starting to rub the wires so I had to bend the connector bracket for clearance. I think that's why the factory Husaberg clamp has the bolt on the side.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:49 PM   #1103
PABiker
Anywhere but here

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod View Post
I am trying to install a Sicass key switch on my 450, has anyone installed one? I would like to see how you did it.

Thanks in advance.
Follow the kill button into the wiring harness, disconnect it and plug in the Sicass switch, then plug the kill button into the pigtail from the switch.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:37 PM   #1104
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by PABiker View Post
Be careful with the Scott's and GPR clamps, the lock nut is in front so the casting is very close to the wiring. Mine was starting to rub the wires so I had to bend the connector bracket for clearance. I think that's why the factory Husaberg clamp has the bolt on the side.
Great tip! I'll keep an eye out for that when I install mine.

I'm in the process of DS'ing my FE390 and the Sicass switch looks like a good option for that part of it.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:41 PM   #1105
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by PABiker View Post
You bought it at Five Star right? Both mine and 2 of my buddies pumps failed, Phil replaced all 3 for free even though the bikes were way past the 30 day warranty.
Wow, that's doesn't sound very promising for my spanky new 2011 FE390. Is the failing fuel pump a common problem with the FE's? Haven't read every post about it yet.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:58 PM   #1106
McLeod
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by PABiker
Follow the kill button into the wiring harness, disconnect it and plug in the Sicass switch, then plug the kill button into the pigtail from the switch.
Installing it electrically is not a problem that is the easy part. How it was installed from the factory or if someone had installed the Sicass, how they did it.

I would like to keep the cockpit as clean looking as possible.

McLeod screwed with this post 09-12-2011 at 09:24 PM
McLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:22 PM   #1107
APBlack
nOOb on a fly

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
They are aware of the many fuel pump problems iun 2010-11 bikes and should cover it with no issues at all. if your dealer doesn't know about it just have him call KTM. Your symptoms are the classic FP overheat seizure. Eventually it will just fail completely or be intermittant while cool.

Updated pump is said to have better clearance for impeller and cures the problem completely.
Interesting...my wifes vespa just went through the same fuel pump problem. would die when hot then run when cooled off.
they said the same thing, new pump had more clearance for the impeller. well at least i'll know what the problem is when it happens...
06 KTM 950 Adv (orange one).. gone.. damit
05 Honda 650L.. gone
APBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:10 PM   #1108
Possu
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,218
Quote:
That would be appreciated.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:18 PM   #1109
chief_lee_visceral
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by possu View Post
that would be appreciated.
+1
Old 09-13-2011, 03:01 PM   #1110
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles