User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2010, 07:36 PM   #1
Ed~ OP
What, Me Worry?

Oddometer: 332
True ADVrider or just a nut?

Ever been passed on the freeway by a guy riding a scooter?

I was driving Southbound on Interstate 5 toward Sacramento, CA, when I noticed a motorcyclist in the rear-view mirror passing up a Porche that was trailing me.

His single headlight was unusually high so I thought it was a chopper/custom build but didn't hear any loud exhaust.

As he neared me I saw it was a Vespa LX 250 scooter! The couple in the Porche really had a hoot watching him pass:

When he sped pass me, I was going over 70mph. His top speed could easily have been 85! On a Vespa 250!

All I could figure was it must have been some emergency in Sacramento he was trying to make and no other transportation. That sucker seemed none too stable at that speed I tell you what.

At least he had good riding gear on... and not wearing flip-flops and shorts.
Dakine lo-lo, brah!
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Ed~ screwed with this post 11-24-2010 at 07:54 PM
Ed~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:15 PM   #2
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 1,915
He was just trying to sucker someone in so he could hit the "red" button!
Old 11-26-2010, 07:16 AM   #3
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
Used to take my GTS 250ie on the Interstate. It'd keep up ok, and even pass; never seemed particularly unstable, but I didn't like keeping the rpms that high for sustained runs. Engine'll handle it, but it just seemed better to "conserve" ...
Old 11-26-2010, 09:06 AM   #4
lowbuckrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
On another part of the 5 i was passed by a guy on a 300. I was doing 70 in the carpool lane. Yes I was jealous.
lowbuckrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:09 AM   #5
Crossthread
Maker of Sharp Stuff

Oddometer: 628
True ADVrider or just a nut?

You mean there's a difference??

Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:27 AM   #6
Ed~ OP
What, Me Worry?

Ah ha ha ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossthread
You mean there's a difference??
Touché...
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi
Old 11-26-2010, 09:41 AM   #7
HammerMacGreed
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,443
Back in the early '90s I had a custom Lambretta racer (looked like/ same size as a YSR50) and would pass people on the freeway doing 75. Really freaked people out because it was so tiny and sounded like an AK47 on full burst at those speeds

HammerMacGreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:02 PM   #8
mullman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
I had Vespa GTS250, and now have a GTS300.
Sustained 75-80mph (indicated) is absolutely no problem, and usually prompts people to speed up. Many are too prideful to be passed by a lowly scooter.
mullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:01 PM   #9
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,848
Don't under estimate the "lowly" Vespa GTS 250 or 300. these are very capable machines, able to tour, commute, and travel by interstate while delivering 70 mpg.

How do I know? Ive ridden mine from So California to AZ, NV, northern California, and into Death Valley. My wife has one, and she's done the same thing too. Additionally I know many people with these who have travelled tens of thousands of miles on these, and these are very durable machines.

A friend of mine, a 40 year motorcycle career to his name has 50,000 miles on his 2006 Vespa, and recently earned his IBA on his, choosing to do so on his Vespa, rather than his BMW.

Oh, and they are a hoot to ride!
Old 11-26-2010, 08:48 PM   #10
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Thats what I love about the modern vespas! They look cool and classic, yet offer modern technology, great touring capability and plenty of top end! I love the bigger vespas! Maybe I will buy myself one one day! That's how I ended up with so many bikes! And so many more bikes coming!

Vespas are kind of like the Harley of scoots, there ain't no scoot like a vespa, just like there ain't nothin like a Harley!
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:13 PM   #11
Ed~ OP
What, Me Worry?

Really now...

There is no argument that you can build a small 250 engine to sustain highway speeds without burning up. The Ninja 250 is proof of that.

However, the "freak-out" factor that most non-riders and riders alike feel when they get passed by a scooter is simply this: My Gawd! That looks dangerous!

And it is! I've ridden plenty of scooters to know their limitations are in the chassis-flex and small diameter wheels/tires. A step-through frame design has it's inherent weaknesses for lack of a "back-bone". More than that, the small wheels do not generate enough gyroscopic effect to keep the steering from turning too quickly, either by over-input from the rider, or by hitting an object on the road. Steer the front tire too fast at speed and your likely to go down, hard and fast.

I was looking at that rider. I mean really looking as he scooted down the freeway, madly passing on the right on a few occasions which further hinted that he was heading to an emergency meeting. What I noticed sometime was the uncomfortable shimmy in the scooter's butt, a result of wind or simple instability.

I respect scooters, think they are fun to ride and easy to hop on and off (too easy?). I may even go for traveling long distances in the desert highways on one if I could figure out a luggage system for gear.

However, I would never try to pass cars and trucks or any traffic at 85mph on one of these townie scooters!

You look about a fly on an elephants ass!
Old 11-26-2010, 09:18 PM   #12
Ed~ OP
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn
Vespas are kind of like the Harley of scoots, there ain't no scoot like a vespa, just like there ain't nothin like a Harley!
Was that meant to be a compliment for Vespas? I wasn't sure...
Old 11-26-2010, 09:31 PM   #13
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed~
Was that meant to be a compliment for Vespas? I wasn't sure...
Well what do you think? I just knew someone would say something like that.
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:10 PM   #14
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,399
I ve done 76 mph all more then once on the hwy. gone as high as 136k on a elite250 with a hill before thinking 10 inch wheel just freak me out at this speed. Only problem I find is winds tend to push you around. semi trucks seem to cause wind problems. Whom knows why the guys was pushing it. As for unstable that could be not having good tire or tires rated that high.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:42 AM   #15
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,710
I used to ride my GTS flat out on the Interstate around Miami and remember a couple of occasions in particular: once a kid on sport bike pulled along side and gave me a thumbs up at 85mph and another time I came down the Turnpike flat out and stopped for gas in Hoemstead. A Toyota 4 runner stopped along side and the driver started asking me all about "that there machine that does 90 miles per hour..."

The downside to all this is the GTS developed an electrical fault that the dealership couldn't figure out for months. It turned out to be a relay and the dealer told me the GTS was only good for 70mph sustained and riding flat out was the problem. My wife told me to sell the GTS and encouraged me to geta Bonneville instead. Relay problem solved.

When the GTS was running I never felt unsafe, indeed itw as the most comfortbale ride I ever owned. I never did like the belt drive which in those days was supposed to be changed every 6,000 miles (nowadays they say 9,000). At 15,000 miles a year tire and belt replacement got pretty expensive.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote