Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
Bumbobee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Question Best skid plate and engine bars?

Hey guys,

Shopping around for skid plates and engine bars, what are the best ones to get? Right now I'm considering the MOD skid plate and alt rider bars. http://www.motooverland.com/index_files/Page673.htm

Any suggestions?
Old 06-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #2
73datsun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
I have that skid plate. Love it. I really like the MOD stuff. Don't forget you'll need to order the BMW skid plat mounting kit to get this to work.

I have the SW Motech crash bars. They were $100 less. Personally, I didn't see a benefit to paying more for the AltRider. But maybe others have better experience and reasoning.
73datsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #3
PatrickM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbobee View Post
Hey guys,

Shopping around for skid plates and engine bars, what are the best ones to get? Right now I'm considering the MOD skid plate and alt rider bars. http://www.motooverland.com/index_files/Page673.htm

Any suggestions?
That's what I have (both) after plenty of research. Solid piece of kit.
PatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:05 AM   #4
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,120
I don't have them but I think that is the toughest combo you could get. The major "hardcore" riders here ride with the mod plate and the altrider bars. can't go wrong with them

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:37 AM   #5
Bumbobee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
How much is the BMW skid plate mounting kit? Also does each skid plate you buy require it or just the MOD one?
Old 06-07-2013, 03:56 AM   #6
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,120
Quote:
How much is the BMW skid plate mounting kit? Also does each skid plate you buy require it or just the MOD one?
I did a quick research on the internet and found someone saying it's 40ish$. Sounds pricey, that's why I'd wait for confirmation...
I think MOD and another one needs the mounting kit, but a lot out there doesn't.

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:49 AM   #7
Mtl_Biker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
That's the combo I have... MOD skidplate and Altrider engine bars.

I can't say enough good things about the MOD products (I also have their rear luggage rack). They're exceptionally well-made, well-designed, very versatile (particularly in the case of the rear luggage rack) and the service/support they offer is among the very best in the industry.

Unfortunately I cannot say the same about Altrider. I ordered my bars directly from them (and not their Canadian distributor) and was quite disappointed to find that one bar arrived damaged. So bad that the black powder coat had scratched off right to bare metal. And the packaging had not been damaged and was in my opinion certainly good enough to prevent damage. When I emailed them back about this they were unresponsive. A week went by without my hearing anything and when I called they were rather abrupt and disinterested. They did however finally send out a replacement bar fully at their expense with a return shipping label for the defective one. (That is certainly to their credit.)

The replacement arrived and was damaged in exactly the same place as the first one, although not as badly. I called them again and in a rather unfriendly fashion they told me I could live with it or send it all back and get my money back. I elected to keep it and paint over the bare metal with black acrylic paint. (As I said, the damage was less than on the first one.)

The bars DO offer good protection (I've now laid the bike down off-road 3 times without suffering any damage) and they seem well-designed and well-made. But the company's poor support and attitude has made me promise myself never ever to deal with them again. I remain convinced that something in their warehousing or shipping department is not up to par and that the bars are getting damaged (always in the same spot) prior to shipping, in spite of their protests to the contrary. And unfortunately, I am not the only customer who has received damaged bars from them, and there are several reports of this on the F800riders.org web site.

Best of luck with whatever you end up with.

Quote:
Hey guys,

Any suggestions?
#6 2011 BMW K1300GT (sold)
#7 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 (sold)
#8 2013 BMW F800GS Kalamata Metallic
Mtl_Biker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:51 AM   #8
Mtl_Biker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Just to clarify, the MOD skidplate comes with everything you need to install the plate. You do NOT need to buy any kind of BMW mounting kit.

Quote:
#6 2011 BMW K1300GT (sold)
#7 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 (sold)
#8 2013 BMW F800GS Kalamata Metallic
Mtl_Biker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:45 AM   #9
73datsun
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl_Biker View Post
Just to clarify, the MOD skidplate comes with everything you need to install the plate. You do NOT need to buy any kind of BMW mounting kit.
For the F700 you need to purchase the BMW mounting kit.

However, I apologize, that is NOT the case for the F800, you are correct.
73datsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:05 AM   #10
MCMXCIVRS
Begining the Adventure

Oddometer: 1,186
I switched to the MOD skid plate from the BMW aluminum foil one and just recently added the MOD tool box too. Both are fantastic products.

I currently have the Holan bars but am thinking of switching them for the Alt rider ones. The Holan bars tend to shift in and touch the plastics after a solid drop which leaves me a bit concerned about the potential to damage stuff. I don't care about the plastics so much as the stuff beneath them; namely the rad and other items vital to continued riding.

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #11
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 935
Thanks everyone for the kind words on the MOD skid plate!

So thrilled to hear riders are happy with our parts!!

The quick run down:

F800 GS all years -no skid plate mounting kit or extra parts
required for ours

F650/F700 GS all years -skid plate mounting kit required

I would expect this applies to other aftermarket ones too.

Expansion on skid plate mounting:

F800 GS all years would've originally come with the plastic "skid plate" so you don't need an extra hardware.

-The only caveat is that midway through 2010 BMW removed the front mounting point of the plastic plate and therefore the required bolt and nut for aftermarket skid plate brackets. We then started including the required bolt and nut with ours to complete it. I would figure everyone else did too. So if you get a skid plate and you have an extra M8 x 110mm bolt and nut, that's why.

For F650 and F700 they require the mounting kit. The exception being the special edition yellow F650 GS from last year that came with the plastic plate.

-Further expansion on that- You actually don't need the whole 5 pc. mounting kit but rather just the four rubber breakaway mounts with the nuts since we now supply the front mounting bolt. You could therefore just buy the four pieces. I haven't looked at part #'s but those are the same rubber mounts used on the R1200 GS (not sure about the new LC version).

Some have tried to source them aftermarket too but you have to be careful of the length of them to work properly.

Confused yet?

any q's fire away!

Thanks!

Dave

www.motooverland.com

toowheels screwed with this post 06-07-2013 at 10:05 AM
toowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:20 AM   #12
puckinet
Safety third

Oddometer: 345
I had the MOD skid plate and sw crash bars loved the comb, put on a header so no more MOD for me..... A little disappoited with Dave not have a plate that works with a header but he already know this we have talk many times. But just pushing Daves buttons. MOD has great product, great support and stand behind there stuff. Come on Dave get me a plate for the header.

08 KTM 450 EXCR
2010 BMW F800GS
Rick
puckinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #13
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

Oddometer: 594
Just to throw in another choice. I have been running the Adventure Spec plate and bars and have had good luck with them including several off roads crashes (see my avatar ).
I do really like the MOD stuff also. I have the tool box and it kicks ass. If I was replacing my current plate I would look seriously at the MOD plate.
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison
Ronin ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #14
AdvWolf
Gnarly Adventurer

I go back to the original day of the F800. Not alot of options in the first year of the bike out on the market. Here is my two picks and I have to say that I am not to concerned with where it goes on the trail of the Appalachian Mountains.
Skid plate is steel and it sounds good as rocks come a knocking. Crash bars Wild@heart. Both Field tested

http://www.ricochetoffroad.com/store/f800pic.htm

http://www.wildatheartadventure.co.za/bmw800gs.html
AdvWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:59 PM   #15
Team Vegas

Oddometer: 198
I have Altrider skid and bars but I like the way this one mounts and is compatible with Remus header. I took a good look at it this year at the Overland Expo looks real solid.

http://blackdogcw.com/black-dog-shop...gs-detail.html