Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2014, 07:30 PM   #91
Rgconner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX View Post
Pretty sure this won't work...

1. These sensors are very close to the ABS wheel so something like duct tape might interfere and you could damage the sensor.

2. They are Hall effect sensors so they work by detecting the moving metal in the sensor wheel that is mounted to the hub. While these sensors do have to be close to the metal to work, something non-metal between them and the metal wheel should not affect the sensor. These are not optical sensors that you can fool with tape.
Nvrmd. Thinking of something else. They are ESD sensitive, not mag field sensitive.

Rgconner screwed with this post 05-02-2014 at 07:40 PM
Rgconner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:35 PM   #92
jengel451
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthy! View Post
So for those of you that have installed the switch, does the ABS light on the dash stay lit or does it blink? I've looked through all the threads (thanks for the reply Stephen), but can't seem to find an answer. Thanks in advance.
As stated, it stays lit, solid, no blinking.
jengel451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:21 AM   #93
villho
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Taking an old thread up... I have -13 F800GSA and I'd like sometimes to be able to fully disconnect the rear ABS. I do have the option for ENDURO mode that works well yes, but still does not fully disengage the ABS from the rear. If I use the handlebar switch, it disengages the whole ABS and that I don't want, as I want to have the ABS on in the front.

I read the whole thread and came to a conclusion that using this harness will also disable the ABS from the both ends? Is this the case?

...and there was also a report that disengaging the ABS this way will hassle with the OEM heat grips and probably with something else as well. If this is the case, this harness is a no-no for me.
villho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:37 AM   #94
ADVSearcher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Sorry, but don't have any Tech. advice regarding your specific question but ...

Happily share what I think about ABS & riding on loose ground.

My belief is that ABS is a tar road thing completly, have suffered the consequenses by using ABS on gravel and it's plain scary, when the ABS feels that the tyre looses the grip during braking it just let the brake up ... imagine a really rocky sandy downhill, the speed builds up & eventually you want to slow down just to notice that you are without brake effect the only thing to do then is to steer & aim and hope for the best.

Initially when you are new on looser ground ABS can be a good thing as the pace overall is rather low & the possibility for to much brake in the wrong moment are high. But here it doesn't matter if it's both wheels.

When the knowledge & pace builds up to the level were you think you can get rid of ABS rear you should have reached the skill level to handle a front without it also.

I always use ABS on tar but never again in the looser stuff. The memory of 3 broken ribs & a severed crashed bike still hurts. Forgot to turn the ABS of, came into really loose stuff in 55mph, wanted to brake down abit ... zero brake effect, pressed the bike down to be able to take a corner and the front washed out & down I went

Just my 2 cents ...
ADVSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:41 PM   #95
Excite-Bike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVSearcher View Post
imagine a really rocky sandy downhill, the speed builds up & eventually you want to slow down just to notice that you are without brake effect the only thing to do then is to steer & aim and hope for the best.
What would happened if I quickly shut off the engine?

Might that be a way to save oneself from a disaster?
Excite-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 01:20 AM   #96
ADVSearcher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excite-Bike View Post
What would happened if I quickly shut off the engine?

Might that be a way to save oneself from a disaster?
Well ... remember that the most critical situation usually occurs in parts of a second. Part of that time you are surprised that you hasn't any brakes & try to brake over and over again, the rest goes for just steer & avoid the crash.

If you are going downhill in a straight slow pace and notice that you have lost brake power due to the ABS way of working, then you have time to make your decision... engine braking would be my choice.
ADVSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:44 AM   #97
ericrat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,228
I am familiar with the system and I am not aware of any method to disable the rear abs only.