Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
Tukata OP
ADV Demo Rider

Oddometer: 1,411
Tukata's Rule #3: Stories require pictures to be worth a damn in GA.

First attempt at a quick ride report....

I was fortunate enough to have a few days off for the holidays and luckily a fresh couple of projects in the garage. Bear with the beginning as I can't believe all of this happened at once.

Waiting on my kickstand and headlight to arrive, but they showed up on Friday....... Strike 1 KTM

My new Big White Pig..... stripped and taped to touch up a few places on the frame.
I give Icelander a quick text "ride this weekend?"...
Icelander "sure let's take the XR's"
I really don't want to rush getting everything back together and painted, but I have yet to take the Pig out and this would be a perfect opportunity.
I quickly call Icelander and develop a rough plan for Friday. We have our eyes on meeting in Ellijay and just exploring. No real set routes, just a convenient left and what's down there as long as we are good on gas.

So I basically just have to:
Repaint part of the frame
change the oil
service the brake system
check over the bike
Charge and check battery
Reassemble all plastics, tank, and a few electrical connectors

Really not too bad considering some of my other list.

The problem arises when my help Tukata Senior, decided we are going to pull his CBR929 out and get it ready to ride at the same time.
Just add it to the list and let's get started
Tukata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:40 PM   #2
Tukata OP
ADV Demo Rider

Wordy, Wordy yes i'll hurry and get to the ride...

Getting geared up and ready to leave in 31 deg weather
I tell my wife I love her every night for many reasons. Today it's for the heated jacket and gloves that I know are going to keep me toasty.

I get the final "You're really going to ride in this weather aren't you?"

A quick stop for gas and some air and What the hell
I'm alone, not on my XR, and on the Vstrom to go scout out several FS roads.

Strike 2-4:
The 929 was supposed to be a simple oil, coolant, brake fluid, and check-up, but nooooooo. I must have spent 8 hours working on that damn bike.
I get all of the previous done and am ready to put everything back together and park the bike when I fire it up for the last coolant check and all of a sudden I have a CBR Twin? It still sounded beefy, but I am a firm believer in having all of the cylinders produce that fire. The short version: Check for spark:Yes, check for fuel:yes, ok maybe the gas is just old. Drain the gas, clean it out and put some seafoam in and let's party.
Fail
Pull voltage on the ECU, check for loose fitting, connectors, random critter nest. All clear, so let's work this time
Fail
Fine, i'll pull the plugs go give 2 pints of blood for the damn iridium plugs, re-check everything again, and verify fuel it entering each cylinder. All done
Fail
2 people and many hours of Google and 1 faulty Fuel pressure regulator looks to be the culprit.
Strike 2 CBR took an entire day from working on the XR.

Well now I can warp speed to:

Victory
With weather moving the ride to Saturday, I have just enough time to get everything done, be a good family man and be all excited to go ride.....
This picture was taken at 9:40pm Friday night.
I have won and can't wait to reap the rewards. ding, ding, Text
From Icelander 9:36pm " Wife just got called into work, so I have to stay home tomorrow."

Strike 3 I prefer not to take a new bike to new wooded territory where I don't know if my cell phone works.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:04 PM   #3
Tukata OP
ADV Demo Rider

I've accepted my fate and will just have fun all by myself today.
I'll just take the Vstrom and ride in style while taking my time. This will keep me at a good pace and not wanting to go down/up anything too sporty.

Strike 4 Vstrom needs an oil change. Thank you 24hr Walmart

On to the ride.

I always pass this stone plant in the middle of Ellijay and never stop to take a picture.

This tree was near the base of the dirt and just seemed to be a warm welcome. I knew that once I passed it that I was going to be completely at peace for the rest of my ride and just enjoy myself.

The road was very well packed and was a breeze to cruise on. I began to become lost and turned my music off just to listen to myself and think. Mile after mile as I was accompanied by a rather large hawk that was camera shy joined me. I took my time and came across a familiar surface called pavement again. I was kind of disappointed until I opened my eyes to a familiar sign of joy.

Luckily to my enjoyment the road literally was just a few paved curves and then turned back to dirt.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:19 PM   #4
Tukata OP
ADV Demo Rider

The elevation change was incredible even though it seemed to only be ever so minor. I took the last 4 photos from different perspectives and the camera really doesn't give that true feeling of oh crap, i'm going all the way down that in 2 turns.

I believe this guy decided not to drive out and just build a cabin in the woods. It kind of had a Shine smell to it.

Soo many choices and good looking roads, but the "This road closed 1/3 of the year" sign won out. I don't see what the big deal is. People have a habit finding a way and considering I saw 7 side trails connecting, I have a feeling this trail stays open year round.

I was cruising along and if not for the fallen leaves, would have missed this beauty of a stop.

This was a wonderful water stream/fall that went down a good portion of the mountain. The overlook allows you to stare waaaay down the side of the mountain and follow the water.

I stopped at the top and just wow

You really take these views for granted. Any other day and I would have just motored on. Today was a day for me. I stopped and literally smelled the mountain air. These are some of those moments that you can't put into words. The thoughts you have on Thanksgiving come to mind.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:31 PM   #5
Gallowbraid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Good stuff and some great views!
Gallowbraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:09 PM   #6
Tukata OP
ADV Demo Rider

This was a natural 3 walled fire area that looked over the valley.
It seems that this is a regular spot for people to stop in and relax.

So I continue my search and believe i'm somewhere near Jack's River. Remember, that against my better judgment, I have no route or plan. I'm just out for a ride with full tank of gas.

I wonder if that's near Jack's River?

Score 1 for the home team...

The next 30 minutes are just relaxing hill climbs and descents as I make my way towards Hwy 2 area. I'm a little relieved as to the huge success of the Vstrom off road. The girl has a huge ass! I gave her a quick diet, but I was keeping the idea of her possibly getting sleepy ever present in my foresight. Pavement, sweet, i'll take the time to relax and just make a little headway.

Hwy 2 is a great and curvy road and Wake up, wake up, please don't take a nap.......
I'm not 2 miles down the road and in a matter of under 3 seconds my day starts to turn to crap. The bike is going through a right hander and all of a sudden, my front wheel is 7 inches left of it's previous position and still moving. Everything slows down as all parts of my body and mind colaborate perfectly. My right leg goes down HARD. Hard enough that I leverage the pavement by foot and crashbars by knee to almost lift the bike sideways. Skip, push, curse, lean, pucker and the bike wakes up.

It's hard to see, but the middle of the shot shows the skip, skip, skip, slide of the front tire. I needed to stop and felt that I might as well capture the picture. Alpinestar, my ankle thanks you for your unyielding support.

I reflect and make sure the bike is wide awake before carrying on.
I open my mindset for a sign of what the rest of the day will hold for me.
I only waited 1 corner

Ok i'm jamming again and ready for more. Mile after mile of wonderful sweepers. The road seems to me carving in the middle of the trails. I can see all around me that there are several potential turn offs that will require multiple trips back up to explore.

I then come upon my second traveler for the day.

I know this sounds weird, but this is a camera shy doe.
I stopped and she was halfway closer to me. I had no time clock, so I decided to sit there for a minute or two and just waited. The deer came closer and closer and even walked about as I was thinking out loud. I slowly went for my camera and whoosh, she ran and stopped. I pointed the camera at her several times and she seemed to look away. I even commented on it once and she finally agreed to look at me while I took the far away picture.

This was near the end of my ride and I needed to get back to the mainstream. I was going to leave the camera in my pocket until I found this gem of a display.

Clark Griswald eat your heart out. I don't know about at night though.

Wait Wait I see something interesting.

I don't know what it is, but I feel that I have 1 more adventure today.
First things first, call home and check on my time..... I have a go for 1 more road

What a great road. Very scenic and open. I let the Vstrom wind out and enjoy the wind again. This is a nice break from all of the slow speed dirt.
I notice that this road is primarily just farm land. There's small farms, houses, and side roads, but the're all dirt. I was ok with staying on the pavement as I was in 4th and had no business switching off of the tarmac as I crest a small hill. Once again time slowed........

Would it kill you to add a damn pavement ends sign? I had exactly 40 ft to bleed off as much speed as possible and just ride it out in the gravel. Luckily the oncoming car noticed my brisk rate of speed and gave me le-way.

I managed to come to a stop right before this

After all of my excursions I was beginning to welcome the dirt again.
I just plain feel safer on it now. Maybe I should go to the extreme

20 ft in and my rationality kicks in

OK end of the track for this adventure... Literally

Good ole Woodstock

1 hour later from the dirt and safe and sound in the garage.

I had a great day. I was able to get away from everything and really have some quality helmet time. This ride really made me appreciate several things. I am very fortunate to have more than one bike that I love to ride and realize they all have great abilities. Thank goodness they are simple to work on and that was something I was taking for granted. This holiday really put alot of things in perspective and I still have a full day to spend with the family and memories.

I went out and enjoyed all aspects of my ride. I didn't have a mandatory mileage, set route, or knee to drag. It was all about fun and relaxing.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:21 PM   #7
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 22,851

Nice!

The only ride that I got in this holiday weekend was a spin around the yard on a CT70.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:23 AM   #8
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tukata
[I

It's hard to see, but the middle of the shot shows the skip, skip, skip, slide of the front tire. I needed to stop and felt that I might as well capture the picture. Alpinestar, my ankle thanks you for your unyielding support.

It looks like the driveway is feeding a constant supply of fine silt across the road right into the middle of that turn.

Glad everything came back together.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:25 AM   #9
Al Tuna
PUI... Deal with it

Oddometer: 11,607
Very nice report RC.

I to know the feeling of coming off the fast twisty pavement into the dirt/gravel without warning, on the beast. Whoa, Nelly!

Under construction

Al Tuna screwed with this post 11-28-2010 at 04:25 AM
Al Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:16 AM   #10
DeBandi
Exploring Alabama

Oddometer: 3,098
Great report buddy.

DeBandi

Visit ExploringAlabama.net

State Oval Decals Available
DeBandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:57 AM   #11
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,750
Pretty sure that is exactly where I crashed on the 4th of July.

mb90535im is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:20 AM   #12
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb90535im

It may be worthy to go back and do a site survey on that corner. Looking at the picture there are a lot of subtle inputs that have to be taken into account.

The dirt drive feeds a fine layer of silt across the road both from traffic and rain.

The road seems to dip mid curve and change camber to allow for the intersection.

It is hard to tell from the pic but it looks like the radius may decrease a little bit as well.

Definitely one of the mountain back roads that sneak up and grab you if you let your guard down just the least little little bit.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:26 AM   #13
MrTwisty
Short Bus Cowboy

Oddometer: 2,050
Nice ride report, RC. That's not far from my house, and I've been on some of those roads. I'm gonna havta get up there and go exploring.

That corner does look tricky. Nice save.
TBA #1001
"Life is too short to be a candy ass." - RuffJeep
'12 Yamaha Super Tenere, '05 KTM 450 EXC. '03 Suzuki DRZ 400S
MrTwisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:05 AM   #14
Tukata OP
ADV Demo Rider

I think i'm just getting spoiled by my knobbies.
When I get a better seat on the XR, I think it will be the weapon of choice for anything under 300 miles.

Mitch
It looked like it in the picture and I thought of you afterwards. I even slowed down after I saw the silt.

DirtDabber
I used to put neon paint in the road near corners/hazards while in college.
Maybe i'll carry a can with me and develope a "Your about to have a bad day" symbol

Thanks guys. I wanted to have more time, but my little one is taking priority. Plus now I know where to start my journey for the next ride.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:09 AM   #15
Mike Honcho
Got Beaver?

Oddometer: 2,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb90535im