Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2010, 05:18 AM   #31
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,381
Nice build! Question for you: how did you fit an 18 inch wheel with the KLR swing arm? Would an 18" knobby fit?
Old 12-01-2010, 11:21 PM   #32
repsolrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by juames View Post
Nice build! Question for you: how did you fit an 18 inch wheel with the KLR swing arm? Would an 18" knobby fit?

Sam has it right to make the 18" wheel fit you just take some material off the swing arm.

The goal is to run knobbies on the Rio. For testing I wanted traction to stress the chassis. Thanks for posting up.
repsolrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:23 AM   #33
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,471
repsolrider,
Today is the big day. Leaving at 7am EST to ship the bike to the fabricator for my KLRE650 conversion. Can't wait. He's seen your pictures and like your bike a lot. Can't wait to get it back in a few months.

I weighed my Versys engine lastnight. It weighs 127 lbs. but all the stock steel brackets near the oilpan were still on it to protect it during the shipping. Those brackets will not be used on the bike, so the engine should weigh a few pounds less when those are removed. I've also seen a few things that I will cut off it later to trim it down more. I'll weigh the KLR engine today when I get back.

SamM
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:16 PM   #34
repsolrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM View Post
repsolrider,
Today is the big day. Leaving at 7am EST to ship the bike to the fabricator for my KLRE650 conversion. Can't wait. He's seen your pictures and like your bike a lot. Can't wait to get it back in a few months.

I weighed my Versys engine lastnight. It weighs 127 lbs. but all the stock steel brackets near the oilpan were still on it to protect it during the shipping. Those brackets will not be used on the bike, so the engine should weigh a few pounds less when those are removed. I've also seen a few things that I will cut off it later to trim it down more. I'll weigh the KLR engine today when I get back.

SamM
Sam that is awesome look forward to the second official KLRE650 to hatch. The fact that your are running very similar hardware is even better.

Are you going to run a stock fuel pump? If so make your tank out of aluminum it will save a lot of wieght.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:32 PM   #35
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,471
No, I didn't buy a stock fuel pump. We'll probably use an inexpensive external fuel pump and I'll carry a spare on trips. Another change is that, we'll be running dual Fluidyne aftermarket radiators. There will be a few things that we'll need to change as we go but we do have a plan.

Much like you did, I don't want to say too much too soon. The bike is on it's way to the builder now and shipped out this morning from Pittsburgh.

Hopefully, there will be something to post soon.

SamM
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:47 AM   #36
mike21b
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by repsolrider View Post
What is a KLRE650?

Four years ago when the Kawasaki Ex650r was released we had a Klr650 and ex in the shop. It came to me that this would be a great splice.
Nice!

My son's Ninja 650 and my KLR are frequently sitting side by side in my garage, and the thought has gone through my head, too..... "what if...?"
I'm sure a lot of other people have thought similarly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwesley View Post
it will have to run well considering that the versys has 60 rwhp it stock trim. With a after market exhaust system stgII head and 705 big bore your only looking at 45 rwhp. If you add a exhaust to the 650 twin then your looking at about 66 rwhp. now that bike will run

lets look at this:

model weight rwhp power to weight
klr 650 single 410 wet 32hp 0.08
klre 650 twin 420 wet 66hp 0.16
bmw 800gs 456 wet 76hp 0.16

seems like the klre would be a good runner. a lot better than stock
Since I regularly ride the Ninja, I can attest that it also feels like it has twice the horsepower. Has pretty good low end torque, too.

As far as Kawasaki building this bike, probably not - they're going to tell you that the Versys is "the one" but I would prefer a KLRE-650, or a KLXE.... heyyyyy.......
mike21b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:19 PM   #37
IslandSpark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Scotty!

Glad to see she is all finished up bud, looks great! when are we doing Africa or Eastern Europe Hope to see you at the Official life unveiling tomorrow night!!

Pat

BC, Canada to Panama on a clapped out KLR - 2010
Follow me via Spot: Click here!
IslandSpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:18 PM   #38
Maniac28
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Dude! I've been riding KLR's since I was in high school and this is the best thing I've ever seen. Nice job! Now where can I buy one? I'd buy one today if available. I never would have bought my KTM 950 or my F800 if a bike like this was available from Kawasaki. I even told them that at a focus group, this is the bike they need to make. Hopefully they will get it soon, what with the success of the F800 and the big hooplah going on around the tiger 800. Give me a twin cylinder offroad capable bike in a small and light package, without the expense and BS of the BMW's and KTM's.
www.pbase.com/ischoenleber
Maniac28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:20 PM   #39
Maniac28
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Oh yeah, about the versys, when it came out, that's all they wanted to talk about at the KLR focus group I was at. I guess they think most KLR riders ride on street only. Well, maybe they do.
www.pbase.com/ischoenleber
Maniac28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:07 PM   #40
repsolrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac28 View Post
Dude! I've been riding KLR's since I was in high school and this is the best thing I've ever seen. Nice job! Now where can I buy one? I'd buy one today if available. I never would have bought my KTM 950 or my F800 if a bike like this was available from Kawasaki. I even told them that at a focus group, this is the bike they need to make. Hopefully they will get it soon, what with the success of the F800 and the big hooplah going on around the tiger 800. Give me a twin cylinder offroad capable bike in a small and light package, without the expense and BS of the BMW's and KTM's.
The only thing on my mind is building more of them. Send money. Pick your colours and hard parts.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:12 PM   #41
repsolrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandSpark View Post
Scotty!

Glad to see she is all finished up bud, looks great! when are we doing Africa or Eastern Europe Hope to see you at the Official life unveiling tomorrow night!!

Pat

I was thinking south America first. See you tommorrow buddy.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:33 PM   #42
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by repsolrider View Post
The only thing on my mind is building more of them. Send money. Pick your colours and hard parts.
So.....how much money do you want sent?
Oh, make mine bright kawi green
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:40 PM   #43
Zammy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
NICE ....now where's mine???
Zammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:11 PM   #44
Sharkguy
chain lube applier

Oddometer: 202
Cool, lets see more of the build!
Sharkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:41 PM   #45
SisuTen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Nice build!
I have a Versys and and a '93 KLX650 sitting next to each other in the garage. Maybe I'll find a donor for the motor and give this a shot with the KLX (no I'm not rich enough to cannibalize the Versys ). The KLX is already a much better off road bike than the KLR, plus has USD forks, good shock, proper wheels and a better frame and brakes than the KLR.
S-Ten
SisuTen is offline   Reply With Quote