Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2010, 05:35 PM   #1
SilveradoTX OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
I haven't even begun to ride... (Looking for bike advice)

Hello all,

I'm new to ADV, happened to stumble across the forum while researching different motorcycles, trips, etc. I didn't see a place to necessarily ask my question, so I went to the best section I found (please move if need be).

I've been looking at a lot of the trip logs, pics, and more pics, and stories, and more pics and have no doubt I could become addicted to this aspect of riding. It's very appealing to me and has me highly interested, however, I don't know where to start. I have ideas for trips, but the bike is my dilemma. I've been trying to research a good bike that I could commute on daily, carry a passenger + a little gear and go on day, weekend and maybe slightly longer trips... pavement and dirt.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions welcome... Thank you in advance.
SilveradoTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,362
Welcome to the asylum!

In terms of a bike it is definitely a matter of personal preference. Some immediate angles on the subject that come to mind are:

Seat height
Bike weight
Desired or needed (fuel) range
Ergonomics & "feel"
Price
More "streetly" or more "dirtly?"

In terms of dual sports I am partial to the Suzukis. Also, when I first started asking questions here some three years ago I was in exactly the same place. You'll get loads of advice, tons of insight, and perhaps a little superstition mixed in...

Reading your description of the type of riding you want to do my thought is that a big thumper would fit nicely. My signature shows where I am on that topic.

Somewhere I have Word file of "which bike" thoughts. If I can find it I'll post it or PM it to you.

Best,
Rick
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:02 PM   #3
SilveradoTX OP
Adventurer

Thanks.

Seat height... My current ride is a Buell Blast (27.5" seat height). Just to guess, I'd say I wouldn't go over 30", for safety and comfort reasons.
Bike weight... I've ridden between mid-300 lbs. to mid-500 lbs. Anything in that range should be fine.
Desired or needed (fuel) range... Would like to go more than 150 miles (that's my current fuel range).
Ergonomics & "feel"... I rode my Blast for a total combined 7 hr. trip, almost anything will feel better than that. I'd prefer a standard or relaxed style.
Price... I'll be buying used (whenever that will be), somewhere between $5,ooo-$10,ooo.
More "streetly" or more "dirtly?"... Something that will probably see more pavement, but would still be confident to head down dirt and gravel.

Hope that helps a little bit.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:18 PM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,230
The Ride Report forums are for ride reports.

Do a little search, it's been asked and covered many times before.

Moved to Road Warriors.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:22 PM   #5
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Oddometer: 1,014
Welcome.
You will become addicted.

If you think you can manage a slightly taller seat, and dont plan an serious offroading, consider Kawasaki Versys.

If not, there''s a BMW f650GS (800cc)

Or BMW X'COuntry
1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike

omnivore screwed with this post 11-28-2010 at 06:28 PM
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:08 PM   #6
SilveradoTX OP
Adventurer

My noobiness shows. Thanks, Gadget Boy.

ominvore, thanks for the suggestions. I like the design of the Versys, but at a glance the X'Country catches my eye. It's starting to look like I need to go visit some dealers when my schedule allows it.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:13 PM   #7
2wheelsrbest
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Don't spend too much time finding the "ultimate" bike. You could spend a year researching and finding a bike, then change your mind a year later. Pick something that seems to check most of your boxes and go ride it. IF you want something else or your riding changes or...OR...OR...

You can't go too wrong, since all bikes are great (for something).
2wheelsrbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:19 PM   #8
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,362
Since the ante has been upped with pictures ...

I'll offer a shameless plug for the DR650.

Northern New Mexico

Colorado -- outside of Steamboat Springs

Ashton Idaho -- just before heading up to Yellowstone and then back east and south

DR's just naturally look best when dirty...
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:49 PM   #9
Bald Kirk
Dances with Dirt Bikes

Oddometer: 735
Strap some gear on your Buell, fill up a backpack and ride.

Next?
Old 11-28-2010, 07:49 PM   #10
SilveradoTX OP
Adventurer

Yeah, I let go of trying to find the "ultimate" bike a while back, that's why I'd like to have three bikes to cover the areas I like (if I ever have enough to do that). Right now is finding what fits my needs the best and what I'll get the most use out of. And that's why my Blast fits right now, cost effective commuter and can carry the occasional passenger when needed, and it's fun to just head out solo. Looking toward the future, though, is where I'll eventually need something that can offer more.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:51 PM   #11
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754

Suzuki DRZ400, pretty much THE perfect first bike, right size, right power, right weight, can be dropped, will take you anywhere, plenty of fun, cheap, will grow with the rider etc etc.

If you have no off road aspirations at all the Versys would be my pick as well but otherwise the DRZ400 all the way.
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:40 PM   #12
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,274
start right

You better start sitting on a lot of bikes but don't buy anything until you get your MC permit out of the way.
Buy used.
Keep it under $3500 & you'll not loose your ass when you sell it in 6 mth for more what you'll be learning what you really want.

Keep the bike simple & read different forms which host one bike over the others. KLRWORLD, THUMPER TALK, there's others.

Something over 500cc & under 800cc.

A big single makes enough power for most & is simple to work on.

You have a lot to learn & buying a bike is only part of the fun.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:49 PM   #13
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,697
Riding

Harley Sportsters are in your price range, low maintenance and backed by an extensive dealer network. Seat height will work, fuel range will work if you avoid the peanut tank, dirt roads will be a stretch though you may have read the thread about the "off road" Road King currently mashing the miles in South America.

I like my Bonneville, also in the price range. Triumph's Scrambler will work fine on dirt roads though the seat height is too high for me and luggage is limited by the high exhaust pipes. I ride the Bonneville on dirt roads where it is okay. I like the versatility of the Bonneville all round (and I prefer the looks to those of the Harley).

A modern inexpensive Japanese bike could be the V-Strom 650 by Suzuki, entirely reliable and extremely popular. Or the Kawasaki KLR 650 though it has a seat dizzyingly high off the ground.

On the whole I like the advice about riding your Blast as much and as often as you can. The best advice to people who want to tour is: "Do you like to commute when the weather is crappy?" "Do you turn to your car at the least sign of adversity?" "Does a hard ride in difficult conditions excite you?" Answer yes and then spend the money on more motorcycle.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:53 PM   #14
lfmn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
I'm confused

The title to your post is - "I haven't even begun to ride" and further on you say that you own a Buell Blast.

2007 Harley Fatboy
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
lfmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:08 PM   #15
SilveradoTX OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald Kirk
Strap some gear on your Buell, fill up a backpack and ride.

Next?
Haha. Actually, I've done that. Within the first month or so I set out on a trip over 600 miles. Farthest I had gone prior was a total of 30 miles round trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang55
You better start sitting on a lot of bikes but don't buy anything until you get your MC permit out of the way.
Buy used.
Keep it under $3500 & you'll not loose your ass when you sell it in 6 mth for more what you'll be learning what you really want.

Keep the bike simple & read different forms which host one bike over the others. KLRWORLD, THUMPER TALK, there's others.

Something over 500cc & under 800cc.

A big single makes enough power for most & is simple to work on.

You have a lot to learn & buying a bike is only part of the fun.
Got my motorcycle license last year; dad, brother and I split the cost of the bike three ways this year. Gaining experience for now.

I had been stuck on the Harley only thing for a while, still like them, but over the past few months I began thinking about what my needs would be and what I'd be doing with the bike and what I need the bike to do and began searching other manufacturers, and that opened a ginormous door of possibilities.