User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2011, 07:40 PM   #136
southbound1
Tarbaby

Oddometer: 9
Congratulations......

Congratulations Doug..... good work, great 'threads'. Prudhoe Bay to Ushuaia on a single cylinder (DR400 & KLR).... i enjoyed every kilometer. amigo Southbound1, merrill
southbound1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:09 AM   #137
Dr. Benny
Enjoying the Journey

Oddometer: 813
Congrats!
Old 02-26-2011, 06:11 AM   #138
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSdiablo View Post
Good Job Doug
I've been watching daily and am very happy you made it. Very Cool. I'd offer to buy your bike (down there) but .... I um, can't seem to find my checkbook
Enjoy, I'm thinking the rest is going to be easy. Greg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Toto I don't think we're in Minnesota anymore.

I thought about buying a bike from someone that rode down and didn't want to ride back.But it wouldn't be the same.You just need to ride down for the feeling of accomplishment.Well I do anyway.

Sasper stopped at your place on his way down here,didn't he?I passed and missed him near Guadalajara,Mexico.Has he made any progress?Or has he fallen in love and forgotten about his goal?

Where is the LARR going to be this year?Gayle wants to see Alaska again.May try to combine the 2 into 1 trip.
Doogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:17 AM   #139
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound1 View Post
Congratulations Doug..... good work, great 'threads'. Prudhoe Bay to Ushuaia on a single cylinder (DR400 & KLR).... i enjoyed every kilometer. amigo Southbound1, merrill
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I like this life style.I thought I might get tired of it after a while,especially with the bike issues.But it's all been good.

You planted the seed for my trip 6 years ago.And it was a seed I didn't know was there till coming back from Prudhoe Bay.Why would anyone want to go to South America?Now I know.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:38 AM   #140
nightflyer
Hors contrôle

Oddometer: 103
job done mate!

Congrats Doug,

very well done, see I told you it was easy!!!!!

I am sure you will enjoy being back riding that Harley of yours though
nightflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:39 AM   #141
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,554
Good job on making your trip to the tip
Old 02-26-2011, 08:53 AM   #142
cloudshaver
marcusorass

Oddometer: 124
Spoiled brat, we are still buried in snow.
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2011, 09:34 AM   #143
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,591
Glad to see you made it.

I'll be heading that way after next week if the US Embassy can get my passport renewed.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:51 AM   #144
vellofellow
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Curious as to costs

Great Adventure..somewhat curious as to your total expenses..?

also how did the Harley windshield work...regarding head buffeting etc.?

Cheers

Martin

from Calgary, Alberta where the temp was recently -30 C!!!!!!!!
vellofellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:42 PM   #145
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflyer View Post
Congrats Doug,

very well done, see I told you it was easy!!!!!

I am sure you will enjoy being back riding that Harley of yours though
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Glad I didn't bring electric clothes.Like you said,only a few really cold days.But I still haven't been to Torres or Glaciers parks yet.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:44 PM   #146
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudshaver View Post
Spoiled brat, we are still buried in snow.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hope you have heated grips.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:48 PM   #147
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellofellow View Post
Great Adventure..somewhat curious as to your total expenses..?

also how did the Harley windshield work...regarding head buffeting etc.?

Cheers

Martin

from Calgary, Alberta where the temp was recently -30 C!!!!!!!!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
My wife could say what I spent.I have no clue.After a while I decided I would not be tent camping as much as I planned.And I paid too much for hotels and hostels.Sometimes I was too tired to compare prices or there wasn't a choice.I will try to have a cost break down when I get home.

I used this windshield 1 1/2 years ago on my DRZ400 when I did Cincinnati-Prudhoe Bay-Inuvik-Key West trip.Once the height is set right,it is perfect.It is set where the wind will hit the top of my helmet if I sit straight up-which I never do.

Doogle screwed with this post 02-26-2011 at 06:53 PM
Old 02-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #148
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
Good job on making your trip to the tip
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

When are you going to get your bike going and head this way?
Old 02-28-2011, 07:56 PM   #149
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

2-27-11.Yesterday I rode the bike an hour to Harberton.There I took a Zodiac boat($50) to an island where a guide walked the group of 20 through a colony of penguins.I got my moneys worth.I would hate to have missed it.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Then I was going to ride as far as I could towards Torres del Paine.I crossed back into Chile and took the ferry across the Straights of Magellan.While on the ferry I went in to pay my fare.The cost for cars is $30.The man looked at me and said"Moto?"Then he said "Bye".I guess motorcycles are free.When I went back to the bike,it was laying on its side.It broke the right mirror off.I thought the ferry must have hit a wave that leaned it too much.5 minutes after getting off the ferry I had a flat tire.That's when I realized why the bike fell over.With the tire going flat,the bike sat more straight up,putting it at its balance point.

While fixing the flat I also changed my rear sprocket.I planned to do it tonight anyway.It was in bad shape.I was rushing to get this done while I still had a little sun light.I still finished with a flashlight.And I had to find and patch my spare tube.My wheel had some sharp edges on the rim from the machine where I had the new tire put on in Santiago.It had cut the tube on the side.This time my tube had a hole on the top.And I found a small nail inside the tire.After putting it all together I am going to find a hotel anywhere I can.There are too many animals around to ride at night-or day.15 miles down the road my tire goes flat instantly.I was all over the road thinking there is no way I can stay up.Some how there was no wreck.There was a small building with some lights on to the right.But they had a chained up gate.500 feet down the road on the left were more lights.I pushed the bike down there and walked back to find someone.I found 2 men.I asked if I could pull the bike back to use the light while fixing the flat.

This was a small exploration oil/gas rig complex.The rig was not operating at the time.They were waiting for permission to continue.But the 2 guys helped me work on the tire.Then the 2 top bosses at the rig came.They said they only reason he was being so nice was because his boss is a motorcycle nut.He would have his butt if he didn't treat a biker good.They said I could stay at one of the trailers.I had a clean bed and shower there.

[/IMG]

Then they took my to the kitchen trailer and feed me.Fried chicken,rice,cucumbers,bread,Sprite,coffee,and things I didn't recognize.Of coarse I had breakfast there too.I told them I might come back next year too.But if I did,I would be staying for a week.

2-28-11
I took some pictures of the men that helped me and the rig where they work before leaving.I want to remember this place and these great people.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

After breakfast I left for Puerta Natales.I went 10 miles and my tire was flat again.

[/IMG]

Before going to bed last night I patched my other spare tube.I put the largest patch I had on it.I spread the glue and let it dry for a pretty long time.Then I re-coated it with glue and again let it dry for a long time.Then I put the patch on.I can't recall ever having a patched tube let me down.And I have patched a lot.Well this tube held air all day.I detoured 30 miles to Punta Arenas.It is a city of over 100,000.I bought the only 17" tube I could find.It is thin.But I needed a decent spare.I also bought some new patches.I'm guessing the glue that I had was bad.I also bought 2 more replacement headlight bulbs.I'm on my 4th one.As usual,I went to buy these parts at 1:15.Forgetting all stores are closed from 1-3pm.So I changed out my chain to kill time.It was getting noisy.It had lost several rollers.

I only rode 240 miles today I still am concerned about riding above 60 MPH.Still worrying about losing control from another fast flat.I don't want to put the thin new tube on unless I have another flat.I'm afraid that it would go flat from hitting a rock or pothole of any size.

I got to Puerta Natales about 8 pm.It is a scenic city of 18,000 looking across a lake to the mountains.I am staying at the Hostel Natales-$48.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Old 03-01-2011, 12:24 AM   #150
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Dean and Lisa are in Puerto Natales today. Staying in one of the Hostels near the ferry. Amerindia Hostel, Barros Arana 135. They are the folks from USA you met in Chanaral, Chili on 2/11. They are riding Stroms. Maybe you can say hi before they leave on the ferry. They'd probably be happy to find out you made it.

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem screwed with this post 03-01-2011 at 12:39 AM
cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote