Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2011, 04:47 AM   #151
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmodem View Post
Dean and Lisa are in Puerto Natales today. Staying in one of the Hostels near the ferry. Amerindia Hostel, Barros Arana 135. They are the folks from USA you met in Chanaral, Chili on 2/11. They are riding Stroms. Maybe you can say hi before they leave on the ferry. They'd probably be happy to find out you made it.
Thanks.I knew I was getting close to them.Are they still planning to ship from Valpariso?
Doogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:39 AM   #152
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
Thanks.I knew I was getting close to them.Are they still planning to ship from Valpariso?
I believe they're shipping from Vina del Mar, Doug. They have some crates waiting there for them. I told Dean you were in Puerto Natales and he said he would email you. Don't know if they have left yet. There's some delay in his posts. Sounds like all of you are having the trip of a lifetime. Really enjoy your posts. Excellent images and an awesome attitude.

Oh, BTW, I don't know if you have their blog, but it is at:
http://www.allstarmccircus.com/

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:34 PM   #153
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmodem View Post
Dean and Lisa are in Puerto Natales today. Staying in one of the Hostels near the ferry. Amerindia Hostel, Barros Arana 135. They are the folks from USA you met in Chanaral, Chili on 2/11. They are riding Stroms. Maybe you can say hi before they leave on the ferry. They'd probably be happy to find out you made it.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for the info.I went to there hostel and asked for them.They said they went to a notary and copy shop.I went through town twice,then returned to their hostel and waited a while.Never saw them.But I left a note in one of their gloves.I'm in El Calafate now
Old 03-01-2011, 06:20 PM   #154
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

3-1-11
I rode to Torres Del Paine today.It's a big park,and cost $30 to get in.There are many snow capped mountains and glacial blue lakes in the park.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

When I left the park,I rode to El Calafate.It was about 200 miles north and is close to Perito Moreno and other glaciers.That is what I plan to see tomorrow.I am staying at Hosteria Schilling-$45.It is a nice place.The last 2 nights my rooms have been cheaper than what they post.A woman at the park told me people don't come in March because the weather is not always good.And it doesn't seem to be very crowded.

My bike is running good.I am still using oil.My transmission is noisy in 5th gear.And 1st gear is whining a little.I had to put duct tape on my right hand grip today.It was shredding and the grip heater element was showing in places.3 of the 4 buckles on my new Nelson-Rigg tank bag are broken.I have extra straps that are now used to hold the bag to the tank.The bag that was stolen had larger quick release buckles that were no problem.The Perilli tire I bought in Santiago is wearing out way too fast.

One thing I meant to mention earlier.I installed a fork brace and lowered my front fender before this trip.I read it handles better and the engine would run cooler.There can be some bad that goes with it.If you ride through any mud,it will jam up your front tire.Just like you have your front brakes on.And I think that contributed to,or caused, my wreck in the mud last week.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:30 PM   #155
cloudshaver
marcusorass

Oddometer: 124
"One thing I meant to mention earlier.I installed a fork brace and lowered my front fender before this trip.I read it handles better and the engine would run cooler.There can be some bad that goes with it.If you ride through any mud,it will jam up your front tire.Just like you have your front brakes on.And I think that contributed to,or caused, my wreck in the mud last week".------------------------------------------------------------------------ So true for the muck and no decernable difference really in handling... the KLR is a wet noodle in more ways than one.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:15 AM   #156
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Looks like you had a great ride yesterday, Doug. You're on the ride of a lifetime for sure. Thanks for sharing it with us.

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:42 AM   #157
Dr. Benny
Enjoying the Journey

Oddometer: 857
Why not send the bike to Africa instead of back to the US
Old 03-02-2011, 01:47 PM   #158
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Benny View Post
Why not send the bike to Africa instead of back to the US
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Will you be there if I do?
Old 03-02-2011, 02:17 PM   #159
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

This morning I signed on for another day at the hosteria.Then I rode 50 miles to the Perito Moreno Glacier.It cost $25 to get in the park.This is an active glacier.There were lots of ice blocks falling off into the water.And they do make some big noise when they hit the water.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

After viewing from the walkways,I rode to the pier where you can take the catamaran ($13) for an hour ride near the glacier.It was a lot nicer on the boat.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

On the way back to the hosteria I did not use 5th gear.It is making a lot of noise.I'm hoping that it has a bad bearing on the 5th gear.Hopefully I can get to a shipper before the tranny goes out.If the tranny craps out,I don't think it would be worth shipping home.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:40 PM   #160
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 7,063
Happy belated Getting to Ushuaia.

I knew you would do it.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #161
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

I left El Calafate after 11 today.I rode up Ruta 40 through the area that was too wet on the way down.I rode through the spot I got stuck and where I crashed.Looking at it dry,I wonder how I could have had any troubles.I rode 400 miles.Most of it was gravel and dirt.I seldom went over 50 mph.And never went into 5th gear.I am thinking the bike may make it to Buenos Aires.And I seem to be loosing less oil.

There was not much to see today.I wanted to stop at a small community named Bajo Caracoles.The hotel and hostel were full.They had camping.But it was so windy,I thought I would rather ride 2 more hours and into the dark,instead of fighting to put a tent up.

I wanted to stop earlier to work on finding a way to ship the KLR to the states.Hate to spend more on shipping than the bike is worth.I should have good roads from here on.I think I should be in Buenos Aires in 3 days.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:13 PM   #162
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

Yesterday should have been a boring day.There is nothing to see.I rode a lot of dirt,gravel,rock road.I stopped at Sarmiento to get gas and eat.The town is about a mile off the route.After stopping for a red light,I turned right.In the middle of the turn my rear wheel almost caught up with me.If I hadn't jammed my right foot into the pavement,I would have been laying on the ground.It was close anyway.I stopped and looked for a slick of oil.None.Then I looked at the other possibility.Yea, my rear tire was flat again.I had run with low air pressure for gravel riding and then when I hit some big rocks,it pinched the tube causing the flat.

While in the town,I tried to get some cash.The 2 machines weren't working.I got something to eat before changing my tube.I put my new tube in.It is not the correct size.It is smaller and for a front tire.But it is new.The old large patch I had put on was still holding.But the edges were coming up.I patched the new hole with some new German patches.Hope I don't get to test them.These were the only pictures I took.Although there were great opportunities later.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

A man that watched and talked to me while doing my dirty work offered his car air compressor when I couldn't get the bead to set.My little cheap air pump would have done it eventually.It was just too painful for him to watch.I use WD-40 on my beads as lubricant.Seems to work well and doesn't dry so fast.Now with my bead seated,I get gas and head towards a coast city.Corodoba Rabavida.I know I fractured that spelling.On the 2 hour ride in 4th gear,my transmission sounds noisier.I think I may need to find another way to get my bike to Buenos Aires.But after getting there I decide to ride till it breaks.

I rode through this big city to miss morning traffic since I ride way slower than the average slow poke here.The map showed a town 2 hours north.I got there about 9pm.They said the next hotel is 100 miles north.I thought about setting up my tent.But 2 hours closer to Buenos Aires isn't such a bad idea.So we go.Nothing to see again.But in the night there are some amazing views of the stars.I decide to stop and gaze before I have a wreck trying to look up while riding.There are gravel pull off every 20-25 miles for trucks.You don't see them till you pass them.I finally pass one and decide to turn around and go back.I need to check my oil and out some chap stick on too.I make a "dead stop and look back.These cars scare me when they pass from behind me while riding.They go 80,90,100 mph.Scary.

While it looks like I can U-turn safely,I cut my wheel sharp and start forward.My pannier hits my left foot and I have to awkwardly reposition it.That also caused the bike to go off its balance point-falling left.With my foot repositioned and the bike and pannier falling inward,my left foot is pinned between it and the road-in a u shape.Now i can't support the bike.And all the weight of the bike is on my knotted up foot.The bike is facing east-west on a north-south road.I wonder if anyone going 80-90 mph can see me at 11pm.I can't lift the bike.I can't get my foot out.I twist and pull and nothing changes.While doing this I hear noises in my foot.I feel certain I have broken it.And it was hurting bad before that.Never mind that.I have a life to save,.Here comes the first car.I put my hands in front of the head light to reflect a little more light.He zooms by in the other lane.Here comes another.It looks like he is stopping.And the first car is way past me,but he is backing up as fast as he went by.2 guys from each car come over and pick the bike up and move it off the road.I limp/hop off the road.Sorry to say I am slipping.I should have had someone snap a couple pictures before moving the bike.After talking and thank everyone for 10 minutes,I said i would be OK.I rode on to Trelew with all shifting done with my heal.I wasted a hour hobbling into 8 hotels.They were all full for some car race.I went Rawson 15 miles away.Same thing.The last place said he was full but later said he had a double room at a higher price.So I am at Sampedros Hospedaje-$44.I parked the bike in the lobby.It's 3am and I am telling my unhappy wife I am OK.

It's 3:45 before I am in bed.I took my boot off.Then i put it back on-fearing I wouldn't be able to put it on for a week.Then I thought when I went to a hospital they would cut it off.So I took it off again (no it didn't hurt,much) and I put Gorilla tape on over my socks.I thought it might keep the swelling down.I also slept with my foot raised on a table by the bed.Another picture op I pasted on.

In the morning I Hospedaje owner wanted to take me to the hospital in his car.His vacationing son came to interpret for me at the hospital.This family lived in Utah for 3 years.I was in and out of the hospital in 1/2 hour. Medical and schooling are all free in Argentina.Lucky me.The x.ray showed no bones broken.They wrapped my foot and gave me a shot for pain and swelling.Maybe Gayle won't divorce me now.I got the room for another day to see how the pain goes.But in the morning I will try to go north again.I think there is still more ADVENTURE out there waiting for me.But it will be hard to one up the trapped under the bike act.It was like a chicken waiting on the chopping block feeling.But it topped the Yungas Bolivia road of death.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:14 PM   #163
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,741
Sometimes you just have to call it good, its not about the destination but the journey. Glad you've got no broken bones and the KLR is still hanging in there. Goodluck with the rest of your journey.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:41 PM   #164
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

I check on you now and then.Looks like you won't get here till winter-if you are coming.Hope you got your parts.You are right.The journey is the trip.But the destination makes it possible to be satisfied without having to do it again.Not that that would be a bad thing.But Gayle is ready to put hand cuffs on me.And I like that too.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
Sometimes you just have to call it good, its not about the destination but the journey. Glad you've got no broken bones and the KLR is still hanging in there. Goodluck with the rest of your journey.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 03-05-2011, 05:04 PM   #165
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
The journey is the trip.But the destination makes it possible to be satisfied without having to do it again.
IMHO too many people think a SA trip is all about just going to TDF. I've already made choices in my trip South that will keep me from going to TDF this season but I am none the less satisfied.

I'm glad you found your satisfaction man

I'll be needing a do over for TDF...