Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #166
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
Mine was more than a sampler.But I could do a do over on the east coast.It's all been good.Even the bad has been good.Do you time table for going home?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
IMHO too many people think a SA trip is all about just going to TDF. I've already made choices in my trip South that will keep me from going to TDF this season but I am none the less satisfied.

I'm glad you found your satisfaction man

I'll be needing a do over for TDF...
Doogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:03 PM   #167
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
Mine was more than a sampler.But I could do a do over on the east coast.It's all been good.Even the bad has been good.Do you time table for going home?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Yeah more of a money table than time I will be going to Bolivia before I leave this contient again unless I get really screwed over here in Colombia

Throttlemeister screwed with this post 03-06-2011 at 03:07 PM
Throttlemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:17 PM   #168
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

I'm in General Conesa,Argentina.My riding time is over.I stopped here for gas,then rode north.Heard some new noise from down under.I stopped and looked.My rear brakes didn't work-covered with oil.My chain is covered with oil.I added 1/2 liter of oil and thought maybe we would make it to the next large town.More worrisome noises 2 miles later.I stop and add the other 1/2 liter of oil.I have come 16 miles from the small town where I got gas.I am hoping I can make it back there before total failure.I still have another liter of oil.8 miles with noise off and on and I add 2/3 liter of oil.4 more miles and I add the last of my oil.And that doesn't bring it up to level.The whole time I am going about 15 MPH.I made it to the station.But never checked the oil again.Why?I am hoping I can get it transported the last 700 miles to Buenos Aires to ship home.Since it was still running,I will be able to maneuver it where ever that is.I almost made it there.What else can happen?
Old 03-06-2011, 02:57 PM   #169
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 7,025
When I was in Ushuaia, somebody told me that more people die coming down Everest than going up.

I wish I could say something funny about your wife making you wear handcuffs, but it would be funnier if you post up a pic once you get home.
bananaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:41 PM   #170
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

My realization that I had a bad problem started here.Kind of a lonely spot.

[/IMG]

After getting to the station and parking the bike for 2 minutes,this is what was under it.

[/IMG]

I am waiting for a flatbed trailer to possibly hitch a ride with.A motorcycle cop comes in.I ask him what I should do.He says go up the road a 1/4 mile to the police that check through traffic.Before I get there,he is explaining to that cop what my problem is.About 20 minutes later he stops a north bound truck.The driver gets out and comes to me.Next thing I know,we are loading the bike into the back of his empty trailer.This was a scary load job.

[/IMG]

And pictures of my 2 new heroes.The driver and the cop that nabbed him for me.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

It was probably 2-3 hours drive to Bahia Blanca.The trucker found me a hotel at a YPF gas station and used his 20% discount to get the room for $48.It's close to the truck terminal where he says I can get a cheap haul to Buenos Aires.Then we unloaded the bike.Not quite as scary as the loading.

[/IMG]

He told me everything is closed for the next 2 days.I didn't ask why.But I need some time to have an exact delivery address.He said foreigners should not ride bikes in BA.You will be robbed at gun point.I don't know about that.But I do know I cant put oil in fast enough to go more than a couple miles.So I need it delivered anyway.Boat or plane.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:48 PM   #171
cloudshaver
marcusorass

Oddometer: 124
Bummer
Old 03-06-2011, 11:24 PM   #172
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Deliver to Dakar Motos, everyone's favorite spot in B.A. Call ahead and tell Javier and Sandra that everyone told you so. Sandra will help with the shipping, and Javier will tell you what you needed to know several thousand miles ago about your bike....if you let him.

The address turns up easily via Google search. Bring mosquito coils/net if you're going to stay there.

Good luck.

Mark
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:59 AM   #173
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

I emailed Dakar mid-week and never got a response from them.I was hoping to container ship with 5 others I met in Couhaique,Chile a couple weeks ago.But they don't have anything specific yet.Just plan to ship at the end of march.I'll email Dakar again.I need to get home.Thanks Mark.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by markharf View Post
Deliver to Dakar Motos, everyone's favorite spot in B.A. Call ahead and tell Javier and Sandra that everyone told you so. Sandra will help with the shipping, and Javier will tell you what you needed to know several thousand miles ago about your bike....if you let him.

The address turns up easily via Google search. Bring mosquito coils/net if you're going to stay there.

Good luck.

Mark
Old 03-07-2011, 10:44 AM   #174
markharf
Studly Adventurer

I've seen Javier's inbox, and it would not comfort you--full of hundreds of un-answered emails. Don't email: phone them, allowing for the usual long lunch break. But in any case, they've learned how unreliable overland riders are, and tend not to take you seriously until you actually show up.

Good luck!

Mark
Old 03-07-2011, 04:08 PM   #175
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

I am on the outskirts of town-about 5 miles from centro.I am out of cash.So I limped to an ATM about 1/2 mile away.They don't honor my debit card or credit card.I walk a mile the other direction and ask about another machine.The women tells me there is one about 1 mile towards town.I hobble on.I see nothing.I ask 2 men closing up a shop.One says it is about another 4 miles and offers to take me in his old Peugot.Why not.The first machine won't accept them either.So we drive on.Finally get some money.He drives me back to my hotel.I tell him to pull up to the gas pump so I can get him some gas."No,no,no.Mucho gusto."I keep insisting.I say I used your time and gas.Let me buy you some gas.He won't accept anything.He tells me to use the money on my bike.Tough people to deal with down here.

I probably won't be leaving here till Wednesday.Today and tomorrow is Carnival festival here.They tell me it's not such a big deal.I know it's a big enough deal that the restaurant isn't open today.It's been 3 days since I had something other than gas station food.Ice cream,chips,Coke,sub sandwich,and finally a Snickers.And I finally got hungry enough to finish my old Pringles crumbs.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:33 AM   #176
nightflyer
Hors contrôle

Oddometer: 104
sorry to read that!

Doug,

welcome to my world, where motorcycle let you down close to where you are heading!

It is all good, as you already know this is when you meet the most amazing people.

Good luck,

Y.
nightflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #177
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

I'm glad you convinced me to not bring a lot of cold weather clothes.Sure wish the bike would have gone 100 days instead of 99.Well it's close to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflyer View Post
Doug,

welcome to my world, where motorcycle let you down close to where you are heading!

It is all good, as you already know this is when you meet the most amazing people.

Good luck,

Y.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:29 PM   #178
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 7,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by markharf View Post
I've seen Javier's inbox, and it would not comfort you--full of hundreds of un-answered emails. Don't email: phone them, allowing for the usual long lunch break. But in any case, they've learned how unreliable overland riders are, and tend not to take you seriously until you actually show up.

Good luck!

Mark
I wouldn't even bother calling. Just go there. Javier and his wife were very good to me.
bananaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:59 PM   #179
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Just learned that Javier and Sandra have been on vacation but screwed up their email autoreply. They'll be back at the shop/hostel tomorrow.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #180
Hache_arg
End of the world rider

Oddometer: 283
doogle..
i just saw your post, and I sent you a pm with my cell number.
I live on Buenos Aires and i hope I can be helpfull.

Just call me tomorrow and I'll try to help with sthe sipping.. I had to much experience with that,,,,

Hache
Hache_arg is offline   Reply With Quote