Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2011, 05:27 PM   #61
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
[QUOTE=bananaman;14995301]I learned in Guatemala City to not trust my bike with anybody. Then Lone Rider chimed in with a gem, somthing like, "Nobody, not even the baby Jesus, cares about your bike like you do." So Don't Leave Your Bike With Anybody.

Amen Banaman.I was directing the second day.The first day I thought,drill 2 bolts out.This is a bike shop.But you are right.
Doogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:58 PM   #62
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

1-20-11 20,404
Pushed the bike 3 blocks to a bike shop to have the 2 bolts drilled out.I checked back several times during the day,and didn't like what I saw.Grade 8 steel is tough to drill.And this guy was way over his head.He couldn't drill straight.His wife tried to make him correct,but he would go back to the bad angle.He needed a bigger drill motor and he needed to use more step drills.He said he was open till 8pm.But at 6:15 he said he was closing.He also works in the mines from 23:00 till 7:00.Stayed at the Hotel Oasis again $63.

1-21-11 20,602 198 miles 10,291 total $204
On my way to the shop,I stopped at several places to find a real mechanic.At a Hilti shop I find there is another shop across town.Didn't sound like a good option.At the bike shop,I find the owners 20 year old son working on my bike.He was a good smart kid.We went across town to get the correct size drill bits and bolts that had the same diameter threads and body.I had used 2 bolts for the top of the subframe.My thought was if one broke the other would hold for a while.That my have happened.But if it did,I never knew when the first broke.Now my thinking is,if the one long bolt breaks on the road,knock it out and put the spare in.Don't waste 2 days having someone else drill funny shaped holes.Well we get the subframe done.I decide to start it.Lights work,but no starter.While I'm going to the hotel to get the shop manual,Jimmy finds a wire off of the starter solenoid.Great.I roll the bike outside and find the rear brakes are on vacation.The rear hose is broken near the banjo.I think it probably happened when the subframe dropped down 2 days earlier.I was going to ride 1000 miles to Santiago without rear brakes.Jimmy found a brake line that would plug the hole.It was a rubber line that was about twice as long as stock.It is on now.But I can't lockup the rear wheel on sand.I should be in Santiago in several days.Hope to find a steel braided line while I'm there for a week with my wife.My bill at the shop was $50 labor and $24 for the brake line.Very reasonable.

Back at the hotel I pay my late check out fee and for meals I ate there-$47.I finally leave Calama at 2:30 and head to Antofagasta.On the way I do see a milestone.the Tropic of Capricorn.

[/IMG]

I'm concerned about the new subframe bolt.Will it last any longer than the 3/8" grade 8 bolts?Should I stay on pavement and ignore the fun of dropping my bike off road?Probably for a little while.Bought 8 expensive gallons of gas-$42.

So far all of Chile has looked the same.Desolate riding through plains with distant mountains.A lot of mining and nothing green.Antofagasta is a touristy beach town.Had a good meal here.A big Mac with fries.$6.Things are going good now.I looked for a hotel a little.Couldn't find one easily,so I headed south.About 20 miles out of town the bike sputtered when I gave it a little throttle.This came and went for a while.At a police check point I found it was 200 miles to a hotel.So I return to Antofagasta.On the way back,the bike sputters when I give it 1/8" throttle quickly.sometimes it acts normal.Several times it quit on me.I run with the chock full on most of the time.And it is idling rather high-lean condition.I hope it's not a bad diaphragm.I got a hotel room(Hotel La Torre II $35),and will look at things in the morning.I'm hoping to eventually have a good mechanical day.The internet access they have here isn't working.So I will try posting tomorrow.

1-22-11 Finish 20,862 260 miles 10,551 total $91
I slept till 9:20.That doesn't happen often.I went to the parking area and started working on the bike.Took the seat and tank off.Semi removed the carb.The diaphragm looked good.Removed the bowl and all looked good.I changed the plug and reassembled everything.The bike started up okay and I left.My first stop was to fill the tank.$25.1/4 mile down the road it started starving again.Now I'm looking for a bike shop.It's over 200 miles to the next small city.And I don't want to be stranded in the desert again.I asked a couple walking down the street if they knew where a shop was.They said 10 kilometers south then 1 kilometer east.I didn't understand much more than that.I said thanks much,started my bike,and made a uturn.A minute later,they pass me and indicate for me to follow.He sees a Yamaha dealer and points me there.Then he makes a uturn and goes back towards where we met.I don't know why people have been sooo good to me.I know it's not me.I think because I'm American,or maybe just being a foreigner.But it sure happens alot.

So I go into this Yamaha dealer.The mechanic comes right over and starts looking at my problem.Then he gets another guy-the owner.He feels certain it is the tank vent.I also ask if he has the correct brake line for my bike.Because my rear brakes are extremely bad now.He doesn't.But they put my spare brake pads on for me.They spent an hour of time on my bike.I asked what I owed him.He wouldn't take anything.How about that Merrill.

[/IMG]

When I left his shop,I loosened the gas cap to nullify the gas cap vent.No problems for 200 miles.Then it came back-and stopped me in the middle of no where.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

It finally starts again.The next 60 miles (to the small town of Chanaral),it is touchy.The first hotel I see (Hosteria Chanaral $60) I stop.The bike stops,and won't start.I look at the room and pay.Well,it starts and I park in their fenced area.I am thinking it may be my float valve sticking.I get good flow when I pull the tank hose off.Hope I can get another 600 miles to Santiago before I have to deal with it.My wife won't be happy if she gets off the plane and I'm not there.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:26 AM   #63
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

There were to many things that made me think I had a fuel problem.This morning when it didn't start,I started rethinking.It was a coincident that it ran better after opening the gas cap or pulling the choke out.I have no spark.I appear to have a bad pickup coil.Straight short across the 2 wires.Infinity to ground from either.I have the alternator cover off.wish I had a new one to put in.I'm 650 miles from Santiago.And have 2 days to get there to pick my wife up at the airport.What to do?I hope she can pick one up between El Centro,California and San Diego on her way to the airport tomorrow.I will probably get a bus to the next big town and fly to Saniago today or tomorrow.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:56 AM   #64
GSdiablo
cubical farmer

Oddometer: 695
Bummer

Sorry to hear that Doug, I'm sure things will take a turn for the better soon. You've had your fair share of bad karma lately. Positive thoughts sent
(If you were on a F650gs, I'd be pulling it apart and sending one to your wife to bring) greg
Old 01-23-2011, 02:00 PM   #65
southbound1
Tarbaby

Oddometer: 9
How about that Merrill.

Doug, sorry for the mechanical problems. time to find a safe spot to store the KLR and get the rental car at the airport and meet your wife. put the bike out of your mind for the week she's there (at least try) and enjoy your time together. fretting is unproductive. the good news is, you're not missing out on much of Chile. the ride into Santiago from there is about as boring as any of your trip will be.
resolve to get the bike to a good dealer in Santiago after your wife leaves. gosh, sure feels funny calling ...... "your wife".
Diane and i are in Virgin Gorda BVI until Thursday, let me know if i can help from Cincinnati when i get home, best wishes.... merrill (southbound1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
1-20-11 20,404
Pushed the bike 3 blocks to a bike shop to have the 2 bolts drilled out.I checked back several times during the day,and didn't like what I saw.Grade 8 steel is tough to drill.And this guy was way over his head.He couldn't drill straight.His wife tried to make him correct,but he would go back to the bad angle.He needed a bigger drill motor and he needed to use more step drills.He said he was open till 8pm.But at 6:15 he said he was closing.He also works in the mines from 23:00 till 7:00.Stayed at the Hotel Oasis again $63.

1-21-11 20,602 198 miles 10,291 total $204
On my way to the shop,I stopped at several places to find a real mechanic.At a Hilti shop I find there is another shop across town.Didn't sound like a good option.At the bike shop,I find the owners 20 year old son working on my bike.He was a good smart kid.We went across town to get the correct size drill bits and bolts that had the same diameter threads and body.I had used 2 bolts for the top of the subframe.My thought was if one broke the other would hold for a while.That my have happened.But if it did,I never knew when the first broke.Now my thinking is,if the one long bolt breaks on the road,knock it out and put the spare in.Don't waste 2 days having someone else drill funny shaped holes.Well we get the subframe done.I decide to start it.Lights work,but no starter.While I'm going to the hotel to get the shop manual,Jimmy finds a wire off of the starter solenoid.Great.I roll the bike outside and find the rear brakes are on vacation.The rear hose is broken near the banjo.I think it probably happened when the subframe dropped down 2 days earlier.I was going to ride 1000 miles to Santiago without rear brakes.Jimmy found a brake line that would plug the hole.It was a rubber line that was about twice as long as stock.It is on now.But I can't lockup the rear wheel on sand.I should be in Santiago in several days.Hope to find a steel braided line while I'm there for a week with my wife.My bill at the shop was $50 labor and $24 for the brake line.Very reasonable.

Back at the hotel I pay my late check out fee and for meals I ate there-$47.I finally leave Calama at 2:30 and head to Antofagasta.On the way I do see a milestone.the Tropic of Capricorn.

[/IMG]

I'm concerned about the new subframe bolt.Will it last any longer than the 3/8" grade 8 bolts?Should I stay on pavement and ignore the fun of dropping my bike off road?Probably for a little while.Bought 8 expensive gallons of gas-$42.

So far all of Chile has looked the same.Desolate riding through plains with distant mountains.A lot of mining and nothing green.Antofagasta is a touristy beach town.Had a good meal here.A big Mac with fries.$6.Things are going good now.I looked for a hotel a little.Couldn't find one easily,so I headed south.About 20 miles out of town the bike sputtered when I gave it a little throttle.This came and went for a while.At a police check point I found it was 200 miles to a hotel.So I return to Antofagasta.On the way back,the bike sputters when I give it 1/8" throttle quickly.sometimes it acts normal.Several times it quit on me.I run with the chock full on most of the time.And it is idling rather high-lean condition.I hope it's not a bad diaphragm.I got a hotel room(Hotel La Torre II $35),and will look at things in the morning.I'm hoping to eventually have a good mechanical day.The internet access they have here isn't working.So I will try posting tomorrow.

1-22-11 Finish 20,862 260 miles 10,551 total $91
I slept till 9:20.That doesn't happen often.I went to the parking area and started working on the bike.Took the seat and tank off.Semi removed the carb.The diaphragm looked good.Removed the bowl and all looked good.I changed the plug and reassembled everything.The bike started up okay and I left.My first stop was to fill the tank.$25.1/4 mile down the road it started starving again.Now I'm looking for a bike shop.It's over 200 miles to the next small city.And I don't want to be stranded in the desert again.I asked a couple walking down the street if they knew where a shop was.They said 10 kilometers south then 1 kilometer east.I didn't understand much more than that.I said thanks much,started my bike,and made a uturn.A minute later,they pass me and indicate for me to follow.He sees a Yamaha dealer and points me there.Then he makes a uturn and goes back towards where we met.I don't know why people have been sooo good to me.I know it's not me.I think because I'm American,or maybe just being a foreigner.But it sure happens alot.

So I go into this Yamaha dealer.The mechanic comes right over and starts looking at my problem.Then he gets another guy-the owner.He feels certain it is the tank vent.I also ask if he has the correct brake line for my bike.Because my rear brakes are extremely bad now.He doesn't.But they put my spare brake pads on for me.They spent an hour of time on my bike.I asked what I owed him.He wouldn't take anything.How about that Merrill.

[/IMG]

When I left his shop,I loosened the gas cap to nullify the gas cap vent.No problems for 200 miles.Then it came back-and stopped me in the middle of no where.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

It finally starts again.The next 60 miles (to the small town of Chanaral),it is touchy.The first hotel I see (Hosteria Chanaral $60) I stop.The bike stops,and won't start.I look at the room and pay.Well,it starts and I park in their fenced area.I am thinking it may be my float valve sticking.I get good flow when I pull the tank hose off.Hope I can get another 600 miles to Santiago before I have to deal with it.My wife won't be happy if she gets off the plane and I'm not there.
southbound1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:53 PM   #66
southbound1
Tarbaby

Oddometer: 9
KLR electrical problems...

Doug, i remember a conversation with Helge many years ago concerning KLRs and electrical problems.... he told me that a majority of early KLR owners "upgraded" their alternators to power their accessories and that these mods caused failures to other components. he banned modified electricals on KLRs for his "Globerider Tours".
i know you bought used, could your bike have a more powerful alternator that's causing these problems??? just a thought. merrill (southbound1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
There were to many things that made me think I had a fuel problem.This morning when it didn't start,I started rethinking.It was a coincident that it ran better after opening the gas cap or pulling the choke out.I have no spark.I appear to have a bad pickup coil.Straight short across the 2 wires.Infinity to ground from either.I have the alternator cover off.wish I had a new one to put in.I'm 650 miles from Santiago.And have 2 days to get there to pick my wife up at the airport.What to do?I hope she can pick one up between El Centro,California and San Diego on her way to the airport tomorrow.I will probably get a bus to the next big town and fly to Saniago today or tomorrow.
southbound1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:46 AM   #67
Gadz
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Wicked

Doug. I went to the same shop to change oil. This guy at Yamaha is cool.

In 2009 I was at the same hotel in Chanaral. Lol

Doug, buy a v-strom, she never let me down. (just kidding)
Gadz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:48 PM   #68
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound1 View Post
Doug, i remember a conversation with Helge many years ago concerning KLRs and electrical problems.... he told me that a majority of early KLR owners "upgraded" their alternators to power their accessories and that these mods caused failures to other components. he banned modified electricals on KLRs for his "Globerider Tours".
i know you bought used, could your bike have a more powerful alternator that's causing these problems??? just a thought. merrill (southbound1)

Welcome aboard Merrill.I don't think that is the problem.I still have cranking power and strong lights.Just no spark.

Below I have copied what I just put on KLR forum.Saves me time retyping.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The timing of this problem is trerrible.I left Chanaral,Chile last night on a bus for Santiago(650 miles) so I could meet my wife for a week.She is flying in tomorrow.I did do the sidestand bypass.I should have rechecked it.Now that I'm here I start wondering if my diagnoses that I have a bad pickup coil are right.I have a simple electric meter with the bike.There is only 1 ohm scale-RX1.When I checked across-I think black & yellow black wires to the PU coil,it read no resistance.The same as touching the 2 leads together.Now that I'm 650 miles away I worry that the meter couldn't read at that scale.But it did read resistance when I ohmed the ignition coil.I think the PU coil was supposed to have 3.8 ohms.Not sure and my book is 650 miles away too.

I wanted to bring the suspect PU coil with me.But I couldn't get it off with my Phillips driver.5 screws that will probably make me but a hammer driver here in Santiago.I tried to think of everything before I got on the bus.But I had so little time.And getting here before my wife was more important than me having to make 2 trips to Santiago.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I got to Santiago this morning about 9:30.After eating near nothing for 2 days I found a KFC and had some good food $6.Then I went to a mall that had free internet.I was looking for a map of Santiago.Never found one.So on WiFi I got a map of the city and drew up a map to a hostel.I thought I have most of the day to get there,I'll walk 4 miles.I eventually asked for help,because I had gone way further than 4 miles.

A man and his son said I was too far to walk.And this was a very unsafe neighborhood.They insisted on walking me 1/2 mile out of their neighborhood to get a taxi.

How did I get so far off track?When I left the mall with my map,I looked at the shadows from a pole.It was 12:30.Sun from the south and shadows to the north,right.Yes!!!! In the northern hemisphere.I thought I was going Northeast.But I was going southwest.I remember seeing a documentary on TV about a guy and his wife doing the same thing a few years back.But they were in the jungle for several days,and contemplating suicide.

Okay,I decided it was taxi time.All my walking did was make the taxi bill twice as much.$12.I'm in Andes Hostel $18.This last week I have needed mucho
cerveces.But I will wait 1 more day for my wife to help me.

Doogle screwed with this post 01-24-2011 at 02:54 PM
Old 01-24-2011, 03:02 PM   #69
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadz View Post
Doug. I went to the same shop to change oil. This guy at Yamaha is cool.

In 2009 I was at the same hotel in Chanaral. Lol

Doug, buy a v-strom, she never let me down. (just kidding)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxx

You're going to start thinking I'm following you around,aren't you?

The guy at Hosteria Chanaral was so helpful.'He spent a lot of time looking up flights,bus schedules and prices for me.Letting me leave the bike there.He would come out and check if I needed anything.He walked down the street a ways to point out where the Tur Buss station was.i sure have had good luck with people.EXCEPT for that one in Oruro,Bolivia.

Doogle screwed with this post 01-24-2011 at 03:14 PM
Old 01-24-2011, 03:11 PM   #70
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSdiablo View Post
Sorry to hear that Doug, I'm sure things will take a turn for the better soon. You've had your fair share of bad karma lately. Positive thoughts sent
(If you were on a F650gs, I'd be pulling it apart and sending one to your wife to bring) greg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This stuff doesn't get me down.With problems,I meet more good people.I will see TDF,and I will get home.The problems I have will be good stories later.Unfortunately,if people read my posts,I won't be able to stretch the reality too much.

Is it possible the F650gs pickup coil will fit the KLR?Never mind.Gayle's leaving Houston by now.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:00 AM   #71
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

1-25-11
I had breakfast at the hostel this morning.I was talking to a young man,Roberto, while eating.He was from Brazil and was flying home in the afternoon.I said I was going to the airport to meet my wife.We`decided to commute together.We rode the subway then the bus to the airport.I wish I had met him sooner.He was very helpful to me.At the airport my wife's flight was early.But 45 minutes later she still hadn't appeared.Roberto was repeatedly asking employees where she might be.Eventually she came.Her luggage was still in Mexico City.

We came back to the same block that Andes Hostel was .But with my wife here we are staying at Ciudad de Vitoria Hotel-$79.It is a nice hotel in a good location.We ate Chinese-$41.Then we went to The Clinic Bar-$19.We didn't know,but it is a political statement bar.Named after the Clinic in London where their hated president/dictator was arrested for humanity crimes 20 years ago.We met Victor there.He lives with some bikers that he thinks may be able to help me get parts for my bike.I have my fingers crossed.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:28 AM   #72
Gadz
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Ted Simon once said "interruptions are the journey" (or something like that).
So, it's all part of your trip. Everything is gonna be ok.

* Ted Simon is a great motorcycle traveler, google it if you dont know him.
Gadz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:28 PM   #73
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadz View Post
Ted Simon once said "interruptions are the journey" (or something like that).
So, it's all part of your trip. Everything is gonna be ok.

* Ted Simon is a great motorcycle traveler, google it if you dont know him.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ted would have to say I have had quite a journey this past week.

And I say it's all fun till you run out of money.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:23 PM   #74
Slowphil
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Have you disconnected your clutch safety as well, my klr did the same things yours is and that's what it was. It was frustrating trying to track it down. Good luck with your problem!!

Super Blackbird CBR 1100XX.......making squids out of gentlemen since 1996
Slowphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:04 AM   #75
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowphil View Post
Have you disconnected your clutch safety as well, my klr did the same things yours is and that's what it was. It was frustrating trying to track it down. Good luck with your problem!!
I disconnected it.But since I am 12 hours away from it,I have wondered about the wiring job I did.But I still feel pretty confident about zero resistance on the Pick Up Coil.