Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2011, 07:55 AM   #76
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
My wife has been here for a week.And this morning we rescheduled her flight so she could stay here another week.We rented a car for 2 days last Friday.We went to Vina del Mar and Valparaiso.That was fun,getting lost,and driving up steep hills that turn to dirt and then just end.When we escaped,we found the Casas Del Bosque winery.That made our efforts worthwhile.

[/IMG]

When we returned to the hotel later,we went to the roof top-17th floor.Nice views 0f the city at night.

[/IMG]

Sunday we walked around the Plaza del Armas.It was about 5 blocks from our hotel.Most auto traffic is closed off here.Tto be ahere was a sculpture that is supposed to be a tribute to the indigenous people.I don't get it.But here it is.

[/IMG]

And this building.Sometimes you just can't get far enough away to take the picture right.

[/IMG]

We went to the Santiago Metropolitan Cathedral.Very nice inside.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Outside in the Plaza we saw a crowd of people and heard music.There was a group of dancers performing.They danced with each other.Then they danced with people in the crowd.We watched for about 1/2 hour.

[/IMG]

Doogle screwed with this post 02-03-2011 at 02:56 PM
Doogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:32 PM   #77
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

We rented a car for a week and are heading south to Puerto Montt.The first 300 miles looks like southern California.Hot,dry and brown.There is a lot of agriculture-corn,sunflowers,etc.Then it suddenly changed.It became greener with a lot of pine trees.The lumber business seems to be big business here.We arrived at Puerto Montt and were disappointed.From pictures I saw I thought it would be a snow capped mountain area.It was a busy city.But we found no good place to eat.And it was not visitor friendly for hotels searching or tourist in general.We left and went north about 10 miles to Puerto Varas.It is very tourist friendly.There are a few places to explore here.We will site see tomorrow before going back to Santiago.I think my bike parts arrived today.

I think if I get my bike going again,I will get new tires in Santiago and cross over into Argentina and ride south on Ruta 40.There is nothing I want to see south of Santiago on Ruta 5 again.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:20 AM   #78
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
We rented a car for a week and are heading south to Puerto Montt.The first 300 miles looks like southern California.Hot,dry and brown.There is a lot of agriculture-corn,sunflowers,etc.Then it suddenly changed.It became greener with a lot of pine trees.The lumber business seems to be big business here.We arrived at Puerto Montt and were disappointed.From pictures I saw I thought it would be a snow capped mountain area.It was a busy city.But we found no good place to eat.And it was not visitor friendly for hotels searching or tourist in general.We left and went north about 10 miles to Puerto Varas.It is very tourist friendly.There are a few places to explore here.We will site see tomorrow before going back to Santiago.I think my bike parts arrived today.

I think if I get my bike going again,I will get new tires in Santiago and cross over into Argentina and ride south on Ruta 40.There is nothing I want to see south of Santiago on Ruta 5 again.
Wow. I have to say that I really like your writing style.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #79
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

I don't know if you can tell,but I've lost weight on this trip.Mostly bad eating style.But I also had stomach issues until Gayle got here and I started taking Imodium.I started the trip with a snug belt.Since then I have added 2 new holes to the belt.I think I lost 15-20 pounds.Gayle thinks more.

[/IMG]

Since she has been here,the caloric intake has gone up.There has been a lot of this.

[/IMG]

And this is the Mercado Central.It's a big fish market with lots of restaurants in and around it.We ate here the last 2 days.

[/IMG]

And yesterday we stumbled onto the Castillo Hildago.It is a fort built in the middle of the city on a hill.It was hard to get good photo angles because it is so steep there.This is the best I could do.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

I hope the next pictures I post are of me riding my bike someplace new.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #80
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

I haven't updated recently because my thread was moved from the ADVrider forum to the ADVbus rider forum.I am back after promising me and my bike would behave.Gayle flew home Monday night.My parts were delivered Tuesday afternoon.I went to the bus station to get a ticket for the overnight ride back to Chanaral.I got my ticket at 4:30 and waited for the 11pm departure.Plenty of time to not miss the bus,right.BUT,what did I do?At 10:30 I think my bus should be in sight.But there is a huge traffic jam in the bus lot and the street.Nothing moves for a while.At 10:45 I ask at the ticket counter where my bus is.He tells me I'm at the wrong bus terminal.And I better run up 4 long busy blocks and down 2 more blocks.I ran like OJ Simpson in his old airport commercials.I passed it.Had to go back 1/2 a block to the basement of a mall,up the escalators,and through a bus terminal.I didn't see my Pullman bus and it is 1 minute after departure time.An employee tells me it is a Fichtur bus.They are a partner company.I didn't miss my bus.So I got on the near full bus all hot,sweaty,and dripping wet.2 open seats on the bus.And 1 was next to me.Lucky somebody.

At 2pm the next afternoon I am back to my bike.I bought a new multimeter to check all components again.With the new meter the pickup coil,stator,ignition coil and CDI all test good.I didn't put my new very expensive pickup coil in.I did put a new spark plug wire on.I checked all connectors again.When I turned the engine over,I got a weak blue spark.I put it back together,and it started.I let it idle for about 5 minutes and closed up shop.I was leaving in the morning.As I finished working on the bike,2 Verseys pull into the lot.Dean and Lisa from California,are going to TDF also.I would like to have ridden with them some.But the way my bike has been lately,I wouldn't want to take the chance of being a burden.

Well in the morning I started it and pulled rode it to the front of the hotel.Then it stalled.It started and stalled several times if I let the rpm drop down.Switching to reserve didn't help.I packed everything on the bike and went to a close gas station.When I stopped,I discovered my float valve was overflowing.After filling the gas tank,I went across the street and bought some brake fluid.One of the parts I had shipped from the USA was a brake line.My rear brake line broke when my subframe bolts broke.And I didn't have enough to bleed them.Then I found a shady place to pull my float bowl and needle valve.I didn't see any thing that may have held it open.But you usually don't.I set the float level to shut off a little lower just in case that was the problem.I didn't have the carb completely removed to check the level correctly.Well,I put it back together and it ran like it's supposed to.I had planned to ride north as a test run.But when it started and ran so good,I thought,nothing else can go wrong.I'm going south till I can go no more.I rode 650 miles to Santiago with no problems.Today I bought and had mounted a new rear Pirelli rear 50/50 tire.My Anakees still had miles left on them.But it would be my last chance to get tires for quite a while.And the 17" tires are not very common here.I only rode about 200 miles today.I am in Talca at the Hostal del Puente.It is a nice place and only $32 with breakfast.I think I may cross over to Argentina tomorrow.I am ready for some cool weather and rain.I need the rain to wash the rest of the salt off my bike that I picked up in Salar de Uyuni.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:54 PM   #81
southbound1
Tarbaby

Oddometer: 9
Talca.....

Doug, The town where Diane's uncle was a priest (1944-1949) is Curepto, it's west at the Talca exit off ruta 5, almost to the Pacific Ocean. Near as i can tell, Curepto was the epicenter of the earthquake. I visited via UTube after the quake and the church there (and most of the town) was completely destroyed.
I hope your KLR mysteries and misery's are over..... i'm following you every day, best wishes. Southbound1, merrill
southbound1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:44 AM   #82
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

First I want to thank the members at KLR 650 Forum who supported me during my bike problems.The quick responses I got were greatly appreciated.Check this site to see how I was helped.http://www.klrforum.com/showthread.p...ed=1#post74798
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx x

Today I rode from Talca,Chile to San Martin De Los Andes,Argentina-about 450 miles.I rode through part of the lake region.The town of Villarrica is on Lake Villarrica and near a volcano with the same name.The sand around the lake was volcanic-black sand.It reminds me of a mini Lake Tahoe area.There are other volcanoes to see in the area.From there it was about 1-2 hours ride to the Maula Malala border crossing to Argentina.

[/IMG]

At the border I was met by a man in military uniform telling me where to park.He asked if I spoke English.And we talked for a while.Then he asked for my passport and registration.He then went in to the immigrations building.
5 minutes later he returned and told me to go to customs.He had gone into immigrations,filled out my papers and processed me through in front of a 45 minute line.And no,he didn't want money.After I cleared customs,I came out and talked to him for 1/2 hour.Sometimes people like to practice their English with you.

[/IMG]

From there I rode to San Martin De Los Andes.I stayed at Bike Hostel-$19,after deciding against the $116 hotel down the street.This is a very upscale busy town.It reminds me of a smaller Gatlinburg.It looks expensive.I was heading back to the campground I saw coming into town when I saw this place.Obviously they cater to bicyclists.But it was a nice place.I was in a dorm room with 4 bunk beds-8 total.I went to bed about midnight.When I woke up there was a girl sleeping next to me.Well she was in the next bunk bed.And her boyfriend in the bed below.I guess I'm still new to the hostel stuff.I thought they always seperated the genders.My wife will probably ask why I didn't stay in the $116 hotel.Or the tent.

Doogle screwed with this post 02-14-2011 at 05:04 AM
Old 02-14-2011, 10:20 AM   #83
Gadz
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
I guess I'm still new to the hostel stuff.I thought they always seperated the genders.My wife will probably ask why I didn't stay in the $116 hotel.Or the tent.

Yes! She will!!!

Welcome back Doogle! I'm still here, reading.
Gadz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:11 PM   #84
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadz View Post

Yes! She will!!!

Welcome back Doogle! I'm still here, reading.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I should get to Ushuia this week.Not sure where I will go from there.I probably won't ride all the way home.I think Gayle has had enough of me being gone.But it is possible I could make it to Brazil.If so I think it takes some time to get a visa.You wouldn't know anything about that would you?You couldn't believe my visa to Bolivia cost $135.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:54 PM   #85
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

I rode out of San Martin de los Andes on a road made famous by Che Guevara on a 1932 Norton.Then I turned on to a dirt and gravel road that went through the 7 lakes region.A nice ride if you don't mind being off pavement.Lake Trafu was one of the lakes I rode past.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Eventually I was riding in flat plains between distant mountains.Long straight roads that ended my day in Esquel.I am staying at the Hospadea Rowlans-$15.I have a one bed room in a converted house.I may be the only person staying here.And it has WIFI.Tomorrow I may go back into Chile to ride south for several hundred miles.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:12 PM   #86
southbound1
Tarbaby

Long straight roads that ended my day in Esquel.

Doug, a guy from Blue Ash owes and runs a 'fishing resort' just south of Esquel. Didn't know it until after i got home. I met his brother through a friend of Hosbrook. Southbound1 merrill
Old 02-15-2011, 04:59 PM   #87
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

Im in La Junta Chile.I went about 200 miles from Esquel today.I am riding the Carratera Austral-what ever that is.It is dirt and gravel with not many people on it.The bike sputtered on me and I switched to the reserve gas.It was way too soon to need to do that.But when I did,it ran ok.WHeen I switched back to the normal gas position,a little later,it quit.In the middle of nowhere and raining.I checked the carb bowl-full.Then I drained it.I got full flow from the tank.I checked and had a good spark with my old plug.Still would not start.I poured some gas in the vacuum hose that feeds the petcock-and it started.I let it idle 5 minutes.Tryed to ride off,and it quit after 50feet.I was pushing it off the road when a guy and his little boy asked if I needed help.He had a small flatbed truck.We loaded it on the truck and headed to his town,La Junta.I have it in his small horse shed.i WILL ALSO SET MY TENT UP IN THE SMALL UNUSED space.There is a restaurant 2 blocks away.And I am at a Copec gas station that has internet computers.A man at the restaurant told me it rains 24 hours a day this time of the years.I think I am going to set my tent up and go to bed early.

The way this problem comes and goes so abruptly,I think it may be a sticky valve.When I put gas in the intake,I held my finger on the vacuum line and felt good vacuum.Of course it started then.So if it is a sticky valve,it may have cooled off and closed.Atleast I'm not setting my tent up in the middle of nowhere.

Don't know how often I will get to use the internet here.At least I'm1500 miles farther from home now than the last time the bike quit.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:37 AM   #88
southbound1
Tarbaby

"I am riding the Carratera Austral-what ever that is."

“America has it’s ‘Wild West’, Canada it’s ‘Klondike’, Australia it’s ‘Outback’…… ‘Carratera Austral’ has no literal meaning, just the name given to a region in southern Argentina and Chile.” As explained to me by the son of a hotelier in Bariloche, Arg. 2004. Southbound1 merrill
Old 02-16-2011, 07:54 AM   #89
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,887
Yes, you have lost a lot of weight. KLR or P90X, same thing, right?

Next time you're sick, pop a cypro.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:49 AM   #90
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound1 View Post
‘Carratera Austral’ has no literal meaning, just the name given to a region in southern Argentina and Chile.”
This is nonsense, of course. "Carretera" means highway in Spanish. "Austral" means southern. The Carretera Austral is the name for a specific road, Ruta 7, built at great expense mainly during the Pinochet era to link various remote towns, settlements and parks and give them a sense of shared identity.
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote