Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2011, 05:42 PM   #121
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
My timing is always so bad.A couple years ago I road to Fairbanks on my way to Prudhoe Bay.I had tires waiting for me at a shop.I arrived there Saturday morning and they were closed.4th of July.And their normal closed days were Sunday and Monday.I had to wait 3 days to get tires.But when things seem bad it seems like there is always some good stuff going on too.By some unbelievable coincidents,I met Shaun and Dan Armstrong.I stayed at Dans house for 3 days waiting for my tires.Then changed them at his house.I left some equipment at his house while I rode the haul road.They wouldn't let me pay for anything.Dan said it was meant to be.Later that year Shaun said that they were starting a business to cater to riders going through Alaska.Adventure Cycleworks.http://www.advcycleworks.com/I friend of mine usad them when he went to Alaska this year.I met a guy from England in Guatemala 2 months ago that said he was there last year.And I met another couple a month ago that had used them.

Okay.Back to the current trip now.I got back to the Honda shop on Saturday after they closed for the weekend.So I wait till Monday (hope they're open then) to see if they have a seal for my counter shaft.They probably won't.But at least they can take the front sprocket off to identify the leak.I wanted a front tire-none in town-because mine is borderline.Well it's not even that good.I really should have some tread for the off pavement I will be riding.Especially with the fierce winds that I will see.

This will be my 4th night in Coyhaique.Sleeping in 4 different places.Tonight I am in the same hospedaje as last night.But my room was booked for somebody else tonight.I had to move to a shed (not a horse shed) behind the main house.But it's only $16.It's worth that to have a place to change my fork seal.

[/IMG]
Doogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:52 PM   #122
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markharf View Post
I've never even heard of anyone having so much trouble with a KLR. Are you 100% confident you're not paying for some sort of dastardly actions undertaken during a past lifetime?

You might also consider the way that engine heat is transmitted to carb and hoses. Some people have sworn by self-adhesive reflective foil tape to keep those areas cool during hot weather. Etc.

Mark
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I don't know what has changed.But I didn't have the problem in Central America where it was hot.If it is heat related.If I can slow this oil leak tomorrow,I will get down the road and see what happens.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:40 PM   #123
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
Maybe not. My point is not that your problem has anything to do with the sorts of things I've seen or heard: I'm not a mechanic, and I don't know much. My point is that you should maybe think about exhausting the obvious, simple stuff before going rooting around in your top end for a hypothetical sticking valve. If, that is, that's what you mean when you say you're thinking it must be a sticking valve.

I said the same thing when you were convinced it was your coil. Coils rarely go bad, and there were a thousand more likely explanations for what ails your bike. Personally, I try not to look so quickly to complex possibilities when there are so many untested simple things. It's almost always the simple, common stuff, not the complicated and rare issues.

Then again, maybe it's a sticking valve. Shit like that does happen sometimes. But there's a reason why people here are saying "fuel issues," and not "yeah, sticking valve!"

Glad you're still enjoying your trip and all the unexpected connections you're making.

Mark
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:41 AM   #124
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markharf View Post
Maybe not. My point is not that your problem has anything to do with the sorts of things I've seen or heard: I'm not a mechanic, and I don't know much. My point is that you should maybe think about exhausting the obvious, simple stuff before going rooting around in your top end for a hypothetical sticking valve. If, that is, that's what you mean when you say you're thinking it must be a sticking valve.

Mark
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I had moved on past the valve thought a while back.I should have said that.
You say you aren't a mechanic and don't know much.Then who is writing your posts?Your posts are very informative and to the point.I consider them as from a mechanic.

Well it just started lightening and raining.The first I've seen in 4 days.Just as I finish breakfast and was heading to the shop.And now the electric has gone out too.When it rains it pours.Guess I'll post this later.
----------------------
It's later now and I got the bike to the shop.We put a seal from a KTM on the counter shaft.They went somewhere for an Oring.They had one that was 2mm and I think I need a 1.5mm.The 15 year old(Probably 20 something) mechanic they've got there seems to be a decent mechanic.With the sprocket off we ran it with no oil leaking.He thought the shifter seal was the problem,because there is some oil there.I said the counter shaft is the problem.It isn't leaking now because there is no pull on the shaft.And the oring under the spacer looks a little flat on one side to me.Hope to have another oring to try in a half hour.If not I may put the old oring back on with some sealant to slow the leak.I need to get down the road.

Doogle screwed with this post 02-21-2011 at 07:25 PM
Old 02-21-2011, 01:16 PM   #125
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,349
You'll see a few piers when you get to Ushuaia. I might suggest emptying out the gas tank, draining the oil, and pushing it into the Beagle Channel!

For a couple of hundred dollars you can catch a flight from Ushuaia to BA, and from there it's easy to fly back to the States. If you have enough frequent flyer miles, American Airlines will even fly you home from Ushuaia.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:40 PM   #126
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
...... pushing it into the Beagle Channel.....
This does begin to seem like a viable option.

Doogle, I'm glad if anything I've posted has been helpful. But you really need to grasp the simple fact that I am in no respect a mechanic. I'm a guy who has been riding for just four years and happens to own the same bike as you.....and in 95,000 miles it hasn't given me half as much trouble as yours has given you. If I sound like a good mechanic it's because you haven't yet talked with an actual good mechanic.

A good mechanic will have all my suggestions plus a couple of hundred more....off the top of his head. You need someone like that. They're out there (including on the forum I suggested), but in order to find them you've got to make it a priority. Otherwise what you're saying is "I'd rather continue with this hit-and-miss random approach than have a reliable bike on which to continue my trip."

If that's your decision, by all means have at it. It sure wouldn't be my choice, in part because it's likely to keep you from seeing a lot of places that are totally worth your attention. In putting it this way, I do not mean to give you a hard time: I am just trying to make my point clear, and I hope you're hearing it in the spirit in which it's intended.

Good luck.

Mark
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:54 PM   #127
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

Well I ate lunch while waiting for that oring.I went back to the shop at 1:15.I forgot they go to lunch from 1-3pm.Well,I went looking for a tire.But every shop is closed from 1-3.I waited at a Goodyear tire store till they opened.I could see in the window that they had 1 motocross tire.There would have to be more.No,that was the only motorcycle tire they had.But it was the size I need.I wanted a 50-50 tire.But since this would be my last chance for a tire before mine was bald,I bought it.I'll put it on later because I don't know how many miles it will last on the road.

I went back to the shop and the boy was putting the sprocket on.They didn't find an oring.I had him remove the sprocket and pull the oring again.I wanted to put some silicone on it.He didn't because he thought the spacer turned on the oring.I finally took the spacer an siliconed it and pushed it on over the oring.After assembling and paying,I let the bike sit for about 90 minutes for the silicone to set up.

Did you hear about the big earthquake that Chile had today?No it wasn't an earthquake.It was me starting my KLR and leaving Coyhaique at 5:15 pm after 4 days sitting.I'm now in Perito Moreno,Argentina.I got in here about 10pm.Riding dirt and gravel in the dark isn't easy.But I had to get out of Chile.That's where all my bike problems have been.The bike ran good the whole time.And I haven't seen any oil leaking.My KLR is behaving now.

Picture on the road to Argentina and a restaurant in Puerto Ibanez near the Chilean immigrations office.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Banaman,I may be riding to Buenos Aires and shipping the bike back in a container to Miami.4 people I met several days ago are setting it up.They said they have room.And the more the cheaper.We'll think about it this week.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:04 AM   #128
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

I am back in the same hotel in Perito Moreno tonight.When I left this morning I had good pavement.Thought I would be to the Glaciers National Park mid day and do some sight seeing.An hour down the road it went to dirt and gravel.And it is raining.20 miles later I crest a hill.I had slowed to about 35 because you can see the other side.The other side went down and curved to the right.And it was off camber.That would have been ok,except there was a section of red clay that had no gravel in it.And that may have been no problem if I had put my new Metzler motocross tire in.Well the old balding street tire couldn't handle it,and we went down.It ripped my right pannier off.My tool tube bent the engine guard.And my hand guard was stripped.Even with the panniers and tankbag off I couldn't get the bike up.I had to wait 20 minutes for a car to come by.2 English speaking men from Uraguy
and Buenos Aires helped me get it up.While we were there,2 buses and a semi went past.I was a little nervous.Their rear tires were spinning,and the rear of the vehicles were about 30 degrees off the direction they were traveling.I thought they might spin around and broad side us.

[/IMG]

After that I slowed down a little.And I stopped at a gas station with no gas and found a clean place to mount my new tire.

[/IMG]

Another hour down the road,which is paved off and on,I go through the mud lane bypass.It is slick mud.I stop because it is too difficult even down hill.But I can hardly stand up.Let alone turn around and go back.Then I see another bike about 100 yards ahead.He is stuck coming up hill.He was in a bike tour with 7 others with a chase truck and trailer.The others found an alternate route.One guy helped push him up the hill.And another helped turn me around and up the hill.They said they were held up 2 days waiting for the road to dry out.And that it was much worse south.

[/IMG]

Being alone,I returned to where my day began and got the last hotel room in town.The other 3 were full.And I didn't want to tent camp.I wasn't sure how sore I might be from my fall.Well,right now I think I am going to detour about 200 miles to the east coast so I can stay on pavement.

I met and ate with 3 people from Costa Rica.They were on KTM's-The couple were riding 2 up.They said they came up route 40 2 days ago and had no trouble.Things can change fast.Infact,when I turned around and came back,I didn't see the mud where I went down.The road graders had already gone over it.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:09 AM   #129
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,349
I am not afraid to admit that I avoided Ruta 40 and some very-fun sounding dirt precisely because of the risk of going down and not being able to get back up.

Dirt is fun, but my goal was Ushuaia, so I decided to go back another time for lazy exploring.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:15 AM   #130
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
I am not afraid to admit that I avoided Ruta 40 and some very-fun sounding dirt precisely because of the risk of going down and not being able to get back up.

Dirt is fun, but my goal was Ushuaia, so I decided to go back another time for lazy exploring.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This was the first time I felt helpless.I couldn't walk away from the bike without laying it down on it's side.The mud was so slick,it was hard to stand without the bike.I was lucky the other bikes were there with the same problem at the same time.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:54 AM   #131
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

Yesterday was a decent day for riding.I wore long underwear,short sleeve shirt.long sleeve shirt,heavy long sleeve sweater,coat and liner.And I needed it.The bike has been starting and running fine.So my problems have shifted to a new area.My oil MIA problem.I thought the counter shaft seal was my problem.Then I had the blown gasket on the clutch cover.Now I check the oil every time I stop.After 218 miles yesterday morning I added 2/3 liter.After another 100 miles I put the other 1/3 liter in.This petroleum oil cost $8,$10,and $9 a liter the last 3 times I bought it.It's doubling my travel expenses.I don't know where it's going.That's another thread for the KLR forum.

I don't know what the animals are down here.Llamas,alpacas,yaks.But the last day and a half I have called them road kill.I've seen thousands of them.And a few of them are still alive.They blend in like deer.Sometimes you ride past them before you see them.

[/IMG]

I rode just under 500 miles yesterday.That was a good day.I crossed out of Argentina and back into Chile.When the road ended,there was a ferry to take me to the other side of the lake.Not sure it's a lake.It was about a half hour ride-and it didn't cost anything.

[/IMG]

Then I rode into Tierra Del Fuego.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Most of the riding in Chile was on dirt/gravel with strong winds hitting you from different directions.I was quite concerned the wind could blow the tires out from under me.I would hate to crash this close to the end of the road.

[/IMG]

I think I had a couple hours of this until I left Chile and went back into Argentina.Then it was pavement again.I wanted to get to Ushuia.But it was 7:30 and Ushuia was still 3 hours away.I got a room in Rio Gallegos.2 hostels were full.I took the cheaper of 2 hotels I checked.Hotel Atlandis-$70.They said they had WIFI.But it didn't work last night.So I'm updating this morning.

Last night as I was carrying all my stuff to my room,I asked the receptionist what my room number was.My hands were full with 2 bags,helmet ,coat and other junk.She said 204 and pressed the elevator button for me.When I get to room 204 I put my stiff down and open my door-to a screaming naked man.Now with a towel on,I said the girl told me 204.But now I see my key says 120.But it unlocked the door.When I told the receptionist she just laughed.But I bet she will hear some of the screaming I heard later.

When I get to Ushuia I will work on my oil problem again.Or have someone else do it.Right now I don't think I could diagnose which tire was flat on a unicycle.

Doogle screwed with this post 02-25-2011 at 04:45 AM
Old 02-25-2011, 04:58 AM   #132
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,977
Nice. The road kill animals are called Guanacos, and yeah, really be careful blasting at high speed when you are headed north on Ruta 3.

You didnt cross a lake, you crossed the Straits of Magellan.

And, like the sign says, Welcome to Tierra del Fkng Fuego.

crashmaster screwed with this post 02-25-2011 at 04:08 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:52 AM   #133
Micatech
Motorcycle Luggage

Oddometer: 202
Great ride report!
Old 02-25-2011, 02:23 PM   #134
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

It was a nice ride into Ushuia.It wasn't too windy.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

It sure cooled off fast.Yesterday I was peeling clothes off as fast as I could.Today is a pay back.I had a tough time finding the hostel area.My Lonely Planet book (which I have looked at about 3 times) would have helped.But it is in the pannier that was torn off.And it was too much trouble to take all the ratchet straps off to open it.I am in Hostel Los Lupinos-$17.I got here about noon and haven't done much.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Think I might have a sip or two tonight.I may stay here 2 nights and relax a little.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:13 PM   #135
GSdiablo
cubical farmer

Oddometer: 695
Congrats!!

Good Job Doug
I've been watching daily and am very happy you made it. Very Cool. I'd offer to buy your bike (down there) but .... I um, can't seem to find my checkbook
Enjoy, I'm thinking the rest is going to be easy. Greg