User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2014, 11:38 PM   #1
WesternPacific OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
XT660R or the DR650?

Hi everyone! I am about to get into some DS riding with maybe a little camping etc thrown in for good measure.

About me. I am 40, 185cm/85kg, in reasonable shape and have owned 10 or 12 bikes in my lifetime, ranging from sports to motox, although I am not a great dirt rider. I live in a relatively (by WA standards. oh and thats Western Australia, not Washington for the septics out there) hilly area with access to dirt tracks only a few kays away and being WA, running for thousands of kays if you wanted to follow them.
I have this idea that I might try doing my 500km commute to work every three weeks (I usually fly) on this bike over a mix of highway and dirty roads, which can get a bit sloppy in winter. But mostly I want some fun for my R&R week and something that will let me taste ADV riding to see if it grabs me.
So what I have found for sale is a decent 08 low kays XT660r or I could get a similarly decent 2011 DR at around the same price of about 6k (no farkles or anything, just stock). Or a new DR is also an option.
I rode both today and the XT is snatchy and surgy on a neutral throttle (pretty annoying but I believe there is a O2 sensor fix 0r something similar) but otherwise pretty good. The seating position is nice and comfy and there is good power and the bike looks good.
The DR is ok too, bit small and feels cheaper but is nice to ride if not a bit down on power. The DR looks pretty lame too but that is pretty low on my priorities.
Anyway PRICES BEING EQUAL what is the best bike for what I want to do? Is it best to go tried and tested with the DR or go with the newer tech and bargain priced XT and hope that the FI can be sorted with the aforementioned fix?
Whatdoyareckon?
WesternPacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:51 AM   #2
clintonroy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
I'm a little biased, seeing as I own a DR650, but the DR is a more trail friendly bike than the XT. The DR is a bit lighter with more suspension travel and the exhaust doesn't ride underneath the bike.
On the other hand though, in stock form it's not the most comfortable commuter. You will at the very least need a new seat. I haven't ridden an XT, but if the main purpose for the bike I was buying was commuting long distances on pavement or a maintained dirt road, I'd be considering the comfort (seat and ergonomics) and road manners of each.
Probably not much value in my post, but I was board.

clintonroy screwed with this post 05-15-2014 at 12:57 AM
clintonroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:34 AM   #3
Gasolinejunkie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Sorry, I'm no expert either but I'm in the market for a similar bike.
I ride a big road bike but want something to ride through the Outback and hopefully do a Simpson Desert run.

I'm a little bloke so the DR is perfectly sized for me and I'm told it's a much more serious tourer than the tuning fork. And going by the aftermarket support and accessories it not hard to believe that.

I hear the DRs got and upgrade in late 2008, probably on the 2009 model range and I need to do more research about it.
Although the DRs were unchanged from 2001 (I think) it could have become more boring with this latest upgrade. Suzuki says it's to give it better fuel economy and make it more 'ridable' but I believe it's all about complying with EURO3 emission regulations, which all bikes had to do around that time.
Gasolinejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:03 AM   #4
MCVL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
I don't even know what to troll about. Add some more models to the list, at least XR650L, KLR650, XR650R, KTM690, CRF450X (oil changes every 500km so you will have something to do on a work) and expand a list of thing you want to do on a bike, like all those 500km will sometimes be offroad, sometimes participating in a desert or harescrabler race on the way to work, because actually any dual sport can do what you described but in a different proportions, some better on pavement, some better offroad, on some you can do 1000km in a day, and on some you will get apes red butt after 300
You can choose whichever you like most of those two

MCVL screwed with this post 05-15-2014 at 06:31 AM
MCVL is offline   Reply With Quote