Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2011, 04:13 PM   #61
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJake View Post
If the 30mm pump does not work for you, I will swap you my lighty used 38mm Ducati pump, which is rated for 750cc bikes at minimum.
I appreciate the offer. If possible, I would really like to use the 30mm unit due to the configuration of our pump in the fuel tank. It is a bit different than yours and I don't see an easy way on using the 38mm unit like you have done with yours.

See this post for pics. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=19085

Our pump fits inside the housing and then a cap goes over the top to hold it in. There would have to be a lot of custom work done to get the 38mm unit into the housing and to stay there while beating the snot out of the bike in rough terrain
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:53 PM   #62
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

It's here.....

I'll let you know how it goes. Fyi, Its all seat of the pants here cause I aint got funds for a dyno.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:44 PM   #63
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Its in!

I have the pump installed and the rest of the bike put back together. I took it for a short spin around the neighborhood and all seems well. I'm gonna take if for a longer ride later today and tomorrow. I'll keep you all posted.....

So far, I think this pump is the ticket. As a bonus, the pump is also sent with an filter sock which is much better than the stock and almost as good as the sock I got from RenazcoRacing.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:58 PM   #64
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,004
Great news!
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:12 PM   #65
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

The shakedown ride was a success!!!! I went from slow jerky to fast upshifting senarios and I didn't have anything out of the ordinary happen. No popping on decel. I even went through the gears getting onto the freeway, up to 94 on the speedo, and didn't notice any issues.

Take it for what you will but, I think this will be a good alternative to the OEM pump assembly.

It comes with an aftermarket prefilter (might be a little interesting getting it into the housing. I didn't try) and it is packaged in a vacume sealed bag. If it were a backup pump, I would just put it as it comes into my kit and go. As there was no prior info, I wanted to try it out first before I relied on it out in the bush.

I'll continue to be the guinne pig and keep the pump in instead of going back to my OEM pump and if there are any issues I'll let you all know.

I would definitely rely on it to get me home if the stock one had issues......
Old 05-01-2011, 06:11 AM   #66
ztrab
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Pump test

Uller: Thanks for the work/write up!
05 ZX 10 Track bike - (see above)
06 GSXR 600 Track Bike -ditto above :-)
06 525 EXC
06 525 EXC motard
07 12 GS for Jr. with a brand new motor12/09!
06 525 EXC for Jr., new motor, ugh
09 690 Enduro R... I know, I know
ztrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:57 AM   #67
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
The shakedown ride was a success!!!!
I'll continue to be the guinne pig and keep the pump in instead of going back to my OEM pump and if there are any issues I'll let you all know.

Great news, glad it's working, hope it lasts a long time!
Old 05-01-2011, 07:57 PM   #68
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Old 05-02-2011, 10:43 AM   #69
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

I'm putting this in the "Success" Category

All,

I went for a spirited, hooliganism filled ride yesterday which included about 65 miles of travel. I went from stop and go traffic to tight twisty muddy uphill dbl track and ....... IT DIDN'T SKIP A BEAT.

I flogged my steed as hard as I could , thinking that the only drawback would be at the top end of the RPM range (as Chris mentioned in his email to me), and I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary or feel any lack of power.

No decel popping, No sputtering. Nothing other than smooth running.

Like I stated before, I'll be keeping this pump in and will let you all know if I have any issues. So far, this looks like the ticket.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:11 AM   #70
Upsandowns
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Question Surging issue on new 690 Enduro

I've tried to find info I need on this thread and others without success, so here goes. I just bought a "new" 2010 690 Enduro R and find that the bike seems to surge, particularly and most noticeably when descending a hill on dirt or pavement in 2nd, 3rd or 4th gear while having the throttle open a bit but not adjusting it in any way. My dealer doesn't seem to understand much about FI and I'm trying to discern what needs to be done to correct this annoying and potentially dangerous problem. Even at idle the motor doesn't seem to run at a consistent rpm, so I'm guessing the FI is somehow responsible. The problem is less prevalent in the soft mapping than in either standard or advanced, but it's definitely there in each and all of them. Any assistance or ideas you can provide will be greatly appreciated.
Upsandowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:32 AM   #71
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upsandowns View Post
I've tried to find info I need on this thread and others without success, so here goes. I just bought a "new" 2010 690 Enduro R and find that the bike seems to surge, particularly and most noticeably when descending a hill on dirt or pavement in 2nd, 3rd or 4th gear while having the throttle open a bit but not adjusting it in any way. My dealer doesn't seem to understand much about FI and I'm trying to discern what needs to be done to correct this annoying and potentially dangerous problem. Even at idle the motor doesn't seem to run at a consistent rpm, so I'm guessing the FI is somehow responsible. The problem is less prevalent in the soft mapping than in either standard or advanced, but it's definitely there in each and all of them. Any assistance or ideas you can provide will be greatly appreciated.
that is the problem we all have
i suggest you contact ktm not the dealeer and ask themn to fix it
you still have warranty. continue taking it to them until its fixed. i did not and now ...well you know
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:29 PM   #72
Upsandowns
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Laugh Surging issue on new 690 Enduro

Problem Identified !!!:

I finally found someone who understood exactly what I was talking about and he's a mechanic with a large Southern KTM dealer and who rides the 690 Enduro. He explained that KTM ships the bikes with an EXTREMELY LEAN set-up to comply with EPA regs and that the problem is only exacerbated by a heavy, horrible muffler. His first suggestion was to change mufflers, going with something like the FMF Q4 with a spark arrestor and he thought that would come close to eliminating the problem. In addition, he said the bike needs to be hooked up to a proprietary KTM diagnostic tool and the FI needs to be re-mapped to the appropriate specs which will be determined by whatever muffler is put on the bike. The mapping is muffler specific! In addition to reducing the surging problem, the right muffler like the FMF will also weigh 8 fewer pounds that the OEM.
This was a response that I could understand and makes very good sense to me, and, as usual, the problem is nothing that money can't fix !!! At least there's comfort in knowing what is going on. He also explained that the adjustments under the seat are ignition adjustments, not FI mapping as I guess I thought incorrectly ! Simply put, they are not the same thing !!! The FI mapping adjustment HAS to be done with the diagnostic computer.
Upsandowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:28 PM   #73
DirtJack OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,085
Quote:
All,

I went for a spirited, hooliganism filled ride yesterday which included about 65 miles of travel. I went from stop and go traffic to tight twisty muddy uphill dbl track and ....... IT DIDN'T SKIP A BEAT.

I flogged my steed as hard as I could , thinking that the only drawback would be at the top end of the RPM range (as Chris mentioned in his email to me), and I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary or feel any lack of power.

No decel popping, No sputtering. Nothing other than smooth running.

Like I stated before, I'll be keeping this pump in and will let you all know if I have any issues. So far, this looks like the ticket.
Uller, I guess since we haven't heard more from you, your bike is fixed and the alternate fuel pump is working oK?

I wish I could say the same for my bike. I used your idea of re-plumbing the high pressure side of the fuel system with that expensive ($24 per foot) Gates 5/16" 30R10 submersible fuel line. The only difference with mine was that I didn't replace the fuel pump (mine seems ok) and I left the existing return line from the pressure regulator to the pump housing as it was. The bike ran ok for a few days then stopped abruptly. I verified that there was no fuel to the throttle body and went into the tank to see what happened. This is what I found.

The clamp on the line to the pressure regulator slipped off. One of the problems is that the smallest size 30R10 fuel line is available only in 5/16" which is too large for the fittings. The OEM line is p11 (nylon) and not easily available.

So my next attempt at fixing this problem was to use safety wire to hold the line together around the fuel filter.

Some of my earlier problems may have been related to debris in the tank. I retrieved this (over 1" across) from the bottom of the tank.

The safety wire held ok, but did not fix the problem as the expensive 30R10 fuel line blew out the side!

I think I will bite the bullet and replace everything with OEM parts in spite of the high cost. I just want to get the bike running reliably again.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:35 PM   #74
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upsandowns View Post
Problem Identified !!!:

I finally found someone who understood exactly what I was talking about and he's a mechanic with a large Southern KTM dealer and who rides the 690 Enduro. He explained that KTM ships the bikes with an EXTREMELY LEAN set-up to comply with EPA regs and that the problem is only exacerbated by a heavy, horrible muffler. His first suggestion was to change mufflers, going with something like the FMF Q4 with a spark arrestor and he thought that would come close to eliminating the problem. In addition, he said the bike needs to be hooked up to a proprietary KTM diagnostic tool and the FI needs to be re-mapped to the appropriate specs which will be determined by whatever muffler is put on the bike. The mapping is muffler specific! In addition to reducing the surging problem, the right muffler like the FMF will also weigh 8 fewer pounds that the OEM.
This was a response that I could understand and makes very good sense to me, and, as usual, the problem is nothing that money can't fix !!! At least there's comfort in knowing what is going on. He also explained that the adjustments under the seat are ignition adjustments, not FI mapping as I guess I thought incorrectly ! Simply put, they are not the same thing !!! The FI mapping adjustment HAS to be done with the diagnostic computer.

As i recall we determined it was even worse then that. The switch under the seat really changes the way that the throttle body reacts to input.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:39 PM   #75
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,061
Quote:
The shakedown ride was a success!!!! I went from slow jerky to fast upshifting senarios and I didn't have anything out of the ordinary happen. No popping on decel. I even went through the gears getting onto the freeway, up to 94 on the speedo, and didn't notice any issues.

Take it for what you will but, I think this will be a good alternative to the OEM pump assembly.

It comes with an aftermarket prefilter (might be a little interesting getting it into the housing. I didn't try) and it is packaged in a vacume sealed bag. If it were a backup pump, I would just put it as it comes into my kit and go. As there was no prior info, I wanted to try it out first before I relied on it out in the bush.

now we just need to design a pump housing that can be pulled from the bottom of the gas tank without dumping all of the gas out.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote