Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2011, 03:10 PM   #76
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
Uller, I guess since we haven't heard more from you, your bike is fixed and the alternate fuel pump is working oK?

I wish I could say the same for my bike. I used your idea of re-plumbing the high pressure side of the fuel system with that expensive ($24 per foot) Gates 5/16" 30R10 submersible fuel line. The only difference with mine was that I didn't replace the fuel pump (mine seems ok) and I left the existing return line from the pressure regulator to the pump housing as it was. The bike ran ok for a few days then stopped abruptly. I verified that there was no fuel to the throttle body and went into the tank to see what happened. This is what I found.

The clamp on the line to the pressure regulator slipped off. One of the problems is that the smallest size 30R10 fuel line is available only in 5/16" which is too large for the fittings. The OEM line is p11 (nylon) and not easily available.

So my next attempt at fixing this problem was to use safety wire to hold the line together around the fuel filter.

Some of my earlier problems may have been related to debris in the tank. I retrieved this (over 1" across) from the bottom of the tank.

The safety wire held ok, but did not fix the problem as the expensive 30R10 fuel line blew out the side!

I think I will bite the bullet and replace everything with OEM parts in spite of the high cost. I just want to get the bike running reliably again.
Well, kinda and not really. My bike was fixed. I attempted a 550 mi. loop of the Olympic Penninsula and had a major electrical problem. Thought it was the battery. Now it seems to be the rectifier/regulator. So, I've not had the chance to properly test the setup out like I would have liked in order to come back on here with a follow up report.

Bobzilla has basically the same setup with the stock pump and his is working ok based on what I have ready from him on here.

I have actually ordered a used safari tank (Thanks to Seth) and am waiting for it to arrive before I go back into my tank again. I'll let you know what I find once I get in there.

I find it hard to believe that the hose blew out. I thought it was rated for a psi much higher than our pumps are capable of. Could the pressure regulator not be functioning properly and allow the pump to overpressurize the system???

Sorry your having troubles. I am feeling your pain right now. I've spent almost $4,000 on upgrades this spring and only have about 4 hours on the bike and most of those were in a nasty, muddy mess of conditions.
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:18 PM   #77
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
now we just need to design a pump housing that can be pulled from the bottom of the gas tank without dumping all of the gas out.
Out the top???

Well, the only way I see that working is to remove the air intake system (for space) and then move a large quantity of electrical up to the front of the bike. ( I saw a post on Supermotojunky by someone who fabricated a bracket to hold his battery just behind the overflow tank. It left a bunch of space to work with) You could then fab up an opening just above where the pump would be and drop it in from the top.

Sound easy?
Old 07-01-2011, 04:25 PM   #78
DirtJack OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
Well, kinda and not really. My bike was fixed. I attempted a 550 mi. loop of the Olympic Penninsula and had a major electrical problem. Thought it was the battery. Now it seems to be the rectifier/regulator. So, I've not had the chance to properly test the setup out like I would have liked in order to come back on here with a follow up report.

Bobzilla has basically the same setup with the stock pump and his is working ok based on what I have ready from him on here.

I have actually ordered a used safari tank (Thanks to Seth) and am waiting for it to arrive before I go back into my tank again. I'll let you know what I find once I get in there.

I find it hard to believe that the hose blew out. I thought it was rated for a psi much higher than our pumps are capable of. Could the pressure regulator not be functioning properly and allow the pump to overpressurize the system???

Sorry your having troubles. I am feeling your pain right now. I've spent almost $4,000 on upgrades this spring and only have about 4 hours on the bike and most of those were in a nasty, muddy mess of conditions.
Sorry to hear of your problems Uller. After the above post, I decided I would try one more time, so I cut off $4.00 of the hose (2" )' clamped and safety wired it back together and did a short ride. Seems to work. The up side of this problem is I've gotten fast at getting in the tank. . The down side is that I've gotten fast at getting in the tank.

I'm hoping it was a bad piece of hose. May have been a bad decision to leave it in there. The pressure spec for 30R10 is over 100 PSI.

Edit: The 30R10 is duty rated at 100 PSI with a burst rating of 500 PSI. These pumps are capable of very high pressures. Evidently I kinked the hose both times when re-installing the filter and pump. The kink was before the regulator so the pump supplied enough pressure to pop the clamped end off the filter the first time and enough pressure to burst the line when the 2 clamps on the filter were safety wired the second time.

Moral of this saga: don't kink the line when re-installing the filter and pump.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro

DirtJack screwed with this post 08-21-2011 at 02:51 PM Reason: Burst pressure
DirtJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #79
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks!

Good to hear its back running. I actually purchased two sections of that hose not really knowing how much I would need prior to starting the process.

I sure wish i had one of those problems where you could just do something and be over it. I'm not too fantastic at electrical diagnosis/repair (crash course learning is tough sometimes ) which doesn't help too much in my situation. Plus, I am almost positive that I have multiple issues going on all at the same time.

Anyhow, I'm down to a short list of solutions so hopefully I'll get it sorted this weekend.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:32 PM   #80
DirtJack OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
now we just need to design a pump housing that can be pulled from the bottom of the gas tank without dumping all of the gas out.
I would be happy with a design for a petcock to provide a CARB compliant way to drain the fuel tank.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
Old 08-20-2011, 06:40 AM   #81
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Any updates on the pump Uller ?
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:18 AM   #82
Yamaha_Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Hi:

You can find also that pump in KTM parts.

http://www.ktm-parts.com/FP-HUS.html

You can see that the pressure is:

Maximum pressure: 4.5-6.0bar
Operational pressure: 3BAR

The specs mention KTM/Husaberg and other brands. I think that the "motor" is the same in all, the difference between Husaberg and KTM mentioned in the specs with the 690 are only the hoses, and probably the base plate or some connectors, but the rest is the same, you can see in the parts manual.

Also, Uller doesn't mention any "handycraft" or special work to fit the pump.

Very good option to carry in the trips, and 1/3 for the original price.
Yamaha_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:29 AM   #83
Yamaha_Rider
Adventurer

Quote:
I would be happy with a design for a petcock to provide a CARB compliant way to drain the fuel tank.
You can introduce a hose through the top and make a siphon to a bottle. Then, when almost all the fuel was empty, disconnect the main hose (the fast union to inyector) and with main contact, you energize the pump and pass the final amount of fuel to a hose and bottle. I think with 5 times you can empty the tank. Obviously in case that the pump is not dead and still can generate some pressure.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:33 AM   #84
DirtJack OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute View Post
Any updates on the pump Uller ?
Uller, I know you've had some other issues. What's the latest status on how your bike is running?
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
Old 09-07-2011, 07:42 AM   #85
DirtJack OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha_Rider View Post
You can introduce a hose through the top and make a siphon to a bottle. Then, when almost all the fuel was empty, disconnect the main hose (the fast union to inyector) and with main contact, you energize the pump and pass the final amount of fuel to a hose and bottle. I think with 5 times you can empty the tank. Obviously in case that the pump is not dead and still can generate some pressure.
I've tried that. I built a drain hose which connects to the quick disconnect (Motion Pro quick disconnects). The fuel pump prime time period is so short, it only fills 4 or 5 inches of line at a time. It didn't work for me as a practical way to drain the amount of fuel which remains after using a siphon.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
Old 09-07-2011, 12:21 PM   #86
Yamaha_Rider
Adventurer

Quote:
I've tried that. I built a drain hose which connects to the quick disconnect (Motion Pro quick disconnects). The fuel pump prime time period is so short, it only fills 4 or 5 inches of line at a time. It didn't work for me as a practical way to drain the amount of fuel which remains after using a siphon.
I remember when I installed Safari tank, I energized pump 6 to 10 times and almost all fuel was drained. Then, when I pulled out the pump, a few amount of fuel was drained out, nothing very terrible.

Now, with Safari tank, there is a hose with a tap coming from the bottom plate of the original tank, that "comunicates" both tanks, so now I have a easy and fast way to drain all fuel without siphon and without using the pump.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:36 PM   #87
retired motoman
LifeIsShort,EnjoyTheRide!

Oddometer: 475
Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by empedrado View Post
I really should replace my filter with the miles I have racked up. Can you list the part number for the napa filter ?
It was on the master 690 thread so I never wrote down the numbers of avaibable aftermarket filters.

Would someone repost please? My wifes filter is due for a change and do not want to buy the OEM due to the high cost.

Thanks
RM
retired motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #88
DirtJack OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired motoman View Post
It was on the master 690 thread so I never wrote down the numbers of avaibable aftermarket filters.

Would someone repost please? My wifes filter is due for a change and do not want to buy the OEM due to the high cost.

Thanks
RM
The OEM part is Mahle KL15. I used http://www.germanfilters.com/xref_search.php to find and buy equivalent filters.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
Old 09-13-2011, 03:20 PM   #89
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

CA Cycleworks Fuel Pump Follow Up

Well, I have finally gotten my bike back up and running.

I think I had (3) concurrent/overlapping problems. All of them are one of the known issues. None of them were the fuel pump.

I am still running the CA Cycleworks aftermarket pump. It seems to be working just fine. I have no problems lifting the front in first through third so, no shortage of power.

Let me add this though: I have gone back into my fuel tank to install the Safari Tank Fuel Plate. I had already installed the Can-Am fuel filter in place of the quick disconnect. Once I got in there the Napa 3011 filter looked tweaked. My impression is that the fuel over time softened up the plastic of the filter and allowed it to bend along with the hose. I really didn't like this (plus Bobzilla had a problem with these filters too) so, I just removed it. I already have a Profill Australia filter sock in my filler neck and their filter at the base of the pump. Both are much more benefital for cleaning/filtering the fuel than that little screen basket that was OEM. Then the main filter (the part most likely to get clogged from contaminates) is located in an easily accessible spot for a quick change. I believe that Bobzilla has sourced this filter from Napa too. I would really appreciate his input on that part number because the Can-Am filter is something like $18.

So, if you add together my few rides since installing this pump I have put roughly 600 miles with it installed and without any issues related to it. Those included some rather knarly single track goat trails which I'm sure most of you wouldn't even take your 690 on (I wouldn't recommend it, there are many other bikes more enjoyable for this task). Reason I say this is because it was hotter than shit and I was working the bike very hard with a lot of clutch use and a lot of fan operating time. Then on my pavement return leg I was pushing 80 to 85 for a sustained hour solid. Never even a hiccup.

Man, I love this bike (at least when it is running )

Uller screwed with this post 02-27-2012 at 05:54 PM
Old 09-13-2011, 03:41 PM   #90
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 864
i just got back from a 1700 mile off road trip and my bike and i are in lust again.it was flawless. the filter i used was napa 3095 steel body, 10 micron , 60 psi rated, in place of the disconnect.

a point i would mention is that every time you have the fuel line apart past the filter you run the risk of cantamination of the injector. i have started pumping a bit of fuel out of the injector connection after being in the tank at all before running it through the injector. it dont take much of a pattern disruption to make the bike run like shit.

got the number for the cheap fuel pump handy?
bob
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote