ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2010, 12:26 AM   #31
Pcfly OP
Dude?! Seriously??
 
Pcfly's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: SF. Bay Area
Oddometer: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Daddy View Post
one reason you aint got many signatures is that the 660 aint all that good. its heavy, the fuel range is poor, its top heavey, the engine is under powered for the weight, but i respect your right to find that out for yourselves......just sayin
Well, to each his own. As for fuel range, your wrong (6 gallons, EFI, average consumption 55-70MPG best in class for range and MPG!). As for weight, heavy yes (for what people might want to call an "duel sport"), top heavy....hmmm, not sure. I will say this, if it has anything like the centralized weight of the XT1200 S-10 then you would be completely wrong. I say this because the S-10 weights 65+ pounds MORE then a 1200GS and if you try and upright both bikes from their side stand the 1200GS is a bunch heavier despite it's weight advantage. I tried this first hand at a local bike show.

Under powered is subjective and an opinion related to your beliefs and skill (after all your name is "Speed Daddy"). For you, your right, to me......not buying what your selling. Just sayin.
__________________
2008 BMW 1200GS The Blue Rhino
2011 Husqvarna TE-630 The Red Raptor
2012 Yamaha 50th Anniversary Badass-Sounding R1
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:41 AM   #32
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL
 
Night Falcon's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Nu Va Ze Lon
Oddometer: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcfly View Post
Well, to each his own. As for fuel range, your wrong (6 gallons, EFI, average consumption 55-70MPG best in class for range and MPG!). As for weight, heavy yes (for what people might want to call an "duel sport"), top heavy....hmmm, not sure. I will say this, if it has anything like the centralized weight of the XT1200 S-10 then you would be completely wrong. I say this because the S-10 weights 65+ pounds MORE then a 1200GS and if you try and upright both bikes from their side stand the 1200GS is a bunch heavier despite it's weight advantage. I tried this first hand at a local bike show.

Under powered is subjective and an opinion related to your beliefs and skill (after all your name is "Speed Daddy"). For you, your right, to me......not buying what your selling. Just sayin.
you riden one? an I anit selling anything for you to buy...just sayin

but heres a few stats to chew over

BikeEngine CCFuel LtrPower (KW)Weight Kg's(Dry)Weight Kg's(Gross)Pwr/Wght Ratio (D)Pwr/Wght Ratio (G)
TE 61057612391401520.2790.257
F650 GS65217.337175.4192.70.2110.192
F 650 Dakar65217.337177.2194.50.2090.190
X Challenge6529.539144153.50.2710.254
XT660R66015351751900.2000.184
DR65064412321471590.2180.201
640 ADV62525.540158183.50.2530.218
XT660Z6602335.81832060.1960.174
F800 GS7982963.41782070.3560.306
DRZ40039810391441540.2710.253
EXC530510.4939113.9122.90.3410.316
690 Enduro6541246.3138.5150.50.3340.308
990 ADV99822722102320.3430.310
__________________
My KTM 390 Adventure - we live in hope!
My KTM 690 - RIP
My Rev3 Trials Adventures

Night Falcon screwed with this post 12-10-2010 at 12:48 AM
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:46 AM   #33
Pcfly OP
Dude?! Seriously??
 
Pcfly's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: SF. Bay Area
Oddometer: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr openroad View Post
it really puzzles me that more people are not signing this petition!!!
Somehow it doesn't to me. We have the ability on this forum/internet in general, to fight over our pride then to look at something in a logical, balanced, selfless view. I am as to blame as anyone else however I see the need for the Adventure bike market to grow in the US.....it will open the door for ALL bikes and ALL vendors to hopefully change their minds as to the introduction of models here. This is much more important then just the XT660Z. I hope people understand and see this point then a few hundred signatures insisting the Tenere IS the best ADV Bike.
__________________
2008 BMW 1200GS The Blue Rhino
2011 Husqvarna TE-630 The Red Raptor
2012 Yamaha 50th Anniversary Badass-Sounding R1
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:01 AM   #34
Pcfly OP
Dude?! Seriously??
 
Pcfly's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: SF. Bay Area
Oddometer: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Daddy View Post
you riden one? an I anit selling anything for you to buy...just sayin

but heres a few stats to chew over

BikeEngine CCFuel LtrPower (KW)Weight Kg's(Dry)Weight Kg's(Gross)Pwr/Wght Ratio (D)Pwr/Wght Ratio (G)
TE 61057612391401520.2790.257
F650 GS65217.337175.4192.70.2110.192
F 650 Dakar65217.337177.2194.50.2090.190
X Challenge6529.539144153.50.2710.254
XT660R66015351751900.2000.184
DR65064412321471590.2180.201
640 ADV62525.540158183.50.2530.218
XT660Z6602335.81832060.1960.174
F800 GS7982963.41782070.3560.306
DRZ40039810391441540.2710.253
EXC530510.4939113.9122.90.3410.316
690 Enduro6541246.3138.5150.50.3340.308
990 ADV99822722102320.3430.310
Oh dear god, you want to start a spiting contest too?! OH brother....

Look man, you can keep your "Orange Crush" because at the end of the day two things stand out. 1. Your ass hurts because you either had the stock seat that sucks or your wallets been drained of some cash because you need to replace your seat with a better aftermarket one. 2. You'll be left behind, stuck on the side of the road/singletrack out of gas because your 35-45MPG and small fuel tank couldn't keep up with the "adventure". I'm not saying I don't like KTM's because I like all motorbikes but, they suck for range and long distance comfort! What's the point of going off on an adventure when you can't even get there?!

P.S. I have a buddy with a 990 Adventure......the bloody things out of gas at 140 miles (37 MPG......BABIED, NO SADDLE BAGS)!! YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!! Just sayin.......
__________________
2008 BMW 1200GS The Blue Rhino
2011 Husqvarna TE-630 The Red Raptor
2012 Yamaha 50th Anniversary Badass-Sounding R1
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:43 AM   #35
cnj
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Daddy View Post
you riden one? an I anit selling anything for you to buy...just sayin

but heres a few stats to chew over

BikeEngine CCFuel LtrPower (KW)Weight Kg's(Dry)Weight Kg's(Gross)Pwr/Wght Ratio (D)Pwr/Wght Ratio (G)
TE 61057612391401520.2790.257
F650 GS65217.337175.4192.70.2110.192
F 650 Dakar65217.337177.2194.50.2090.190
X Challenge6529.539144153.50.2710.254
XT660R66015351751900.2000.184
DR65064412321471590.2180.201
640 ADV62525.540158183.50.2530.218
XT660Z6602335.81832060.1960.174
F800 GS7982963.41782070.3560.306
DRZ40039810391441540.2710.253
EXC530510.4939113.9122.90.3410.316
690 Enduro6541246.3138.5150.50.3340.308
990 ADV99822722102320.3430.310
Is this chart accurate? It shows a DRZ400 with as much power as a 530EXC and a TE610????? Really? Maybe I mis-understand the data?
cnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:02 AM   #36
Ozz
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Monterrey
Oddometer: 409
Where would the 08 KLR650 fall in this chart and how does the KLR650 compare in handling and performance compared with the 660 Tenere? Has anybody owned both, that could share some experiences? If you have the KLR650 in America...why would you want the 660 Tenere? Is it that much different?
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:54 PM   #37
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL
 
Night Falcon's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Nu Va Ze Lon
Oddometer: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcfly View Post
Oh dear god, you want to start a spiting contest too?! OH brother....

Look man, you can keep your "Orange Crush" because at the end of the day two things stand out. 1. Your ass hurts because you either had the stock seat that sucks or your wallets been drained of some cash because you need to replace your seat with a better aftermarket one. 2. You'll be left behind, stuck on the side of the road/singletrack out of gas because your 35-45MPG and small fuel tank couldn't keep up with the "adventure". I'm not saying I don't like KTM's because I like all motorbikes but, they suck for range and long distance comfort! What's the point of going off on an adventure when you can't even get there?!

P.S. I have a buddy with a 990 Adventure......the bloody things out of gas at 140 miles (37 MPG......BABIED, NO SADDLE BAGS)!! YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!! Just sayin.......
nice work hehehe......you aint riden a 660z have ya ...so your only goin by what others say...and the stats of course love is blind though....an less of the orange crush bashin....you might not get far on one but oh the jaw droppin, wheel spinin, tenere roostin fun you'll have.....mine does 550klm of that before she needs another drink by the way

I guess if you blow hard enough you might get some more signatures on ya petition so good luck....as you say more DS bikes is better than less.

But now that wev'e scratched the surface and found you aint got much more to say than " I want one" as a basis for ya petition ....I'll leave ya'll in peace.

....enough said!
__________________
My KTM 390 Adventure - we live in hope!
My KTM 690 - RIP
My Rev3 Trials Adventures
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #38
Brummbär
Pathfinder
 
Brummbär's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: ööö, here at Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium
Oddometer: 142
Hi mr openroad

Well the good is, i went to several motorcycledealers, but from the first second on the Tenere i had this feeling of my armchair at Home. You know, you sit down and everything fits. Distances of the arm to every switch, never had the feeling of searching or missing any function, the first 1000 km´s got away in 3 Days. The Fuelconsumption was between 3.8 ltr to 5.5 ltr on German Highways at full Speed (and in the Winter Months!). Great! The only thing which was a weak point, were the Metzeler Tourance Tyres. Sometimes I had the feeling of slipping away, as soon as there was a little bit of Dirt in small Curves. I changed to Heidenau K60 and there was no more uncertainty. I adjusted the fork harder (5 turns) and that´s it. Now i own the Tenere 21000 km´s and have no problems with her... one last thing: i have to be generous with the grease (axle bearings, etc.)

And it runs and runs...
__________________
“Well, you're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't.”


XT600K ´93 89.000km
XT660Z ´09 33.333km
Brummbär is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:06 PM   #39
Minimike
Studly Adventurer
 
Minimike's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Tellico Plains, TN
Oddometer: 881
I'm #201. I'd buy a pair of these if they were available today! One for the wife & one for me.
__________________
The great riding pleasure is "to crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women", all from a smaller, less powerful bike.
Minimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:11 PM   #40
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty
 
AZ-Twin's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
Oddometer: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Where would the 08 KLR650 fall in this chart and how does the KLR650 compare in handling and performance compared with the 660 Tenere? Has anybody owned both, that could share some experiences? If you have the KLR650 in America...why would you want the 660 Tenere? Is it that much different?

It doesn't matter if it is good or not, we can't have it so we want it.
__________________
Rob Swartzwelder, Southern AZ
I'm not real fast, but I do have a dog named Dakar!
97 M900, 07 G650 XChallenge,11 KTM 990 ADV R
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:20 PM   #41
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL
 
Night Falcon's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Nu Va Ze Lon
Oddometer: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnj View Post
Is this chart accurate? It shows a DRZ400 with as much power as a 530EXC and a TE610????? Really? Maybe I mis-understand the data?
Hi there
The data was collected from manufactureres spec sheets.

The power to weitght ratio is a measure of an idividual bikes power
relative to its weight. Generally speaking you will be able to harness a lot more of the enginines power if it has less weight to haul.

So a high ratio means the bike has more of the engines usable power for you to use after accounting for the weight of the bike its having to move around (thats why the gross p/w ratio is always less...cos of the extra weight of fuel), conversly a low ratio means the poor o'll engine has less grunt for you to use.

The stats show that the tenere for example, has one of the lowest scores in its class....which means less availabe power on tap.....most reviews you'll read on it will bear this out.

In short...its no good having a whopping great 660 engine if its got to haul the titanic around!

But if all your after is light tourer then go for it....obviously Yamaha USA don't think its current Tenere incarnation will do well in the US....or you'd have one I guess?

hope this helps clear up any confusion.
__________________
My KTM 390 Adventure - we live in hope!
My KTM 690 - RIP
My Rev3 Trials Adventures

Night Falcon screwed with this post 12-10-2010 at 01:29 PM
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:53 PM   #42
Whiskytoast
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Peoria, AZ
Oddometer: 392
signed
Whiskytoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:34 PM   #43
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty
 
AZ-Twin's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
Oddometer: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Daddy View Post
Hi there
The data was collected from manufactureres spec sheets.
Will you show where on the Suzuki site it lists the power, I have looked for that info for the DR before and could not find it on the spec page like for other bikes.

Also, I do find it hard to believe that the DRZ400 has 39KW(52HP).
__________________
Rob Swartzwelder, Southern AZ
I'm not real fast, but I do have a dog named Dakar!
97 M900, 07 G650 XChallenge,11 KTM 990 ADV R
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:44 PM   #44
rufus
We're burning daylight...
 
rufus's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Coweta Oklahoma
Oddometer: 3,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin View Post

Also, I do find it hard to believe that the DRZ400 has 39KW(52HP).


Me too..... My XR 600 would easily outrun a DRZ and the XR had about 36 HP.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:53 PM   #45
FloridaSteve
Beastly Adventurer
 
FloridaSteve's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Jacksonville Florida
Oddometer: 2,082
DR650 owner who REALLY want's to upgrade to a bike that is not orange and black. Just signed.

207
FloridaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014