Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2010, 09:08 AM   #91
Pcfly OP
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
Well yet another case of "wish I knew then what I knew now!!!" I bought my Uly through AAFES in Germany and somehow managed to not get the shipping documents signed by Transportation Dept in Heidelberg. So when got back to the states was told that I would have to have my bike certified for US registration at customs at DFW airport, ie emissions, sound the whole nine yards. Well I get to the customs office and tell them I need to register my bike I brought back from Europe. He asks for my USAREUR registration, matches VIN on paper to VIN on bike and hands me the paperwork. Yeah very easily brought anything back like an XT660.
OHHHHH, so thats the key.....know someone in the military?!
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:54 PM   #92
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasniewski View Post
DRZ400 has a few variants, the K (kickstart only, not sure if it's still in production), the E (electric start, maybe a kickstart backup, not street legal), and the S (street legal, electric start only).

The E and K have higher compression, different carb, and cam, so the numbers on an E are probably higher.

That being said, an E has 48hp, according to:
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photo...i-DR-Z400E.htm

EDIT: On the original topic, not going to sign any petition b/c I won't buy a $9,000 thumper. Just got a used KLR, can't imagine trading it unless the the Tenere had huge power and good economy... and it doesn't sound like it does.
There is no way a DRZ has 48 hp - Suzi rates it a 30 something - and that is at the crank.
Flashman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:58 PM   #93
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Daddy View Post
Hi there
The data was collected from manufactureres spec sheets.

The power to weitght ratio is a measure of an idividual bikes power
relative to its weight. Generally speaking you will be able to harness a lot more of the enginines power if it has less weight to haul.

So a high ratio means the bike has more of the engines usable power for you to use after accounting for the weight of the bike its having to move around (thats why the gross p/w ratio is always less...cos of the extra weight of fuel), conversly a low ratio means the poor o'll engine has less grunt for you to use.

The stats show that the tenere for example, has one of the lowest scores in its class....which means less availabe power on tap.....most reviews you'll read on it will bear this out.

In short...its no good having a whopping great 660 engine if its got to haul the titanic around!

But if all your after is light tourer then go for it....obviously Yamaha USA don't think its current Tenere incarnation will do well in the US....or you'd have one I guess?

hope this helps clear up any confusion.

You're data is suspect - TE610 rated at 52 hp by Huqavarna
Flashman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:34 PM   #94
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,922
A pair of Yamaha's would replace a few bikes.
Yamaha XT660 Tenere, and a little Yamaha 250 Twister.
One for the exploring and the other for everything else.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:36 PM   #95
Krasniewski
I don't ride much.

Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman1 View Post
There is no way a DRZ has 48 hp - Suzi rates it a 30 something - and that is at the crank.
OK, well I provided a source - that's as good as I can do. Where does Suzuki say a DRZ (you didn't specify which model) rates "30 something" hp at the crank???

This is the only official Suzi stuff I found online, HP not mentioned. It does, however, show the higher compression of the E model that I was talking about.

http://suzukicycles.com/Product%20Li...7/DRZ400E.aspx
Krasniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:49 PM   #96
Krasniewski
I don't ride much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcfly View Post

If you need more credibility about the Tenere......listen to these guys.--> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5d-nX4Q66A They take a couple of quality bikes off-road and do a simple review.
Not a bad video... I do think it's funny that the 660 Tenere is the cheapest and lightest bike there, and the only single. Definitely seems cool, but didn't hear anything to convince me that it's worth 10 stacks. I would sure like to see it compared to other singles like the KLR650, KTM 690, BMW 650 single.

And as BigSingle said, not sure why they can't just bring over sold units... I'm guessing it's a lot of work to get a bike ready for import. That and we're probably the only assholes not on metric guages.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:15 PM   #97
mr openroad
Target Fixated

Oddometer: 4,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasniewski View Post
Not a bad video... I do think it's funny that the 660 Tenere is the cheapest and lightest bike there, and the only single. Definitely seems cool, but didn't hear anything to convince me that it's worth 10 stacks. I would sure like to see it compared to other singles like the KLR650, KTM 690, BMW 650 single.

And as BigSingle said, not sure why they can't just bring over sold units... I'm guessing it's a lot of work to get a bike ready for import. That and we're probably the only assholes not on metric guages.
you think it would sell for 10 stacks here?
mr openroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:29 PM   #98
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
Ooooooooooh, another Tenere thread full of "oh - it's too heavy" "oh - it hasn't got enough power" "oh - it's too expensive" blah blah blah...

Numbers are shit.

In stock form it pisses all over the current KLR, which is it's only direct rival in the US...

And here's a photo just for Speed Daddy x

Jx
baaaaahaaaahawwww haaaaaheeeeehawhaaa..... are those hahahahaha heeee haw .....ktm .....haw har hehhe front forks .....orhahaorhehe haaw haww
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:29 AM   #99
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,321
Quote:
baaaaahaaaahawwww haaaaaheeeeehawhaaa..... are those hahahahaha heeee haw .....ktm .....haw har hehhe front forks .....orhahaorhehe haaw haww

Well, when is the last time you heard of someone swapping in a set of KLR forks.

It makes sense, because KTM is the only bike that comes with good forks, I mean think about it.

KLR 650, crap forks,
DR-650, crap forks, I had one, I know.
XR-650L, mediocre forks (probably really crap though and I am giving too much credit)
Xchallenge, mediocre forks until compred to good forks, then they too are crap too.
F650GS, crap forks

What bikes did I miss, DRZ-400, are those forks any good, I know they are better than the ones on the DR-650, cartridge type I think, but can you adjust rebound or compression?

Basically if you want good forks, you got to swap them out with forks off an MX bike.

Perhaps a suspension guru can answer this. What is so difficult at the factory about putting good suspension on a bike. Wait, don't answer that, money. At least you should be able to order some "works package" that comes with good components instead of piecing together stuff off ebay and having the local machinist make stuff.

2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:07 AM   #100
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,168
Quote:
No, WP forks... KTM buy them in too, as do plenty of other manufacturers...

Jx

It's funny how every thread on ADV rider concerning this bike soon turns into a load of slagging off by people who have never ridden one (or even seen one) and just looked at a bunch of numbers and think they're a f*ckin expert...

As PCfly says, this thread is for people who would like to see the bike brought into the USA - to give you more choice - there are plenty of other slag-fests if you want to put your 2 cents in... yawn.

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 12-21-2010 at 02:12 AM
JMo (& piglet) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:24 AM   #101
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,401
Quote:
No, WP forks... KTM buy them in too, as do plenty of other manufacturers...

Jx

It's funny how every thread on ADV rider concerning this bike soon turns into a load of slagging off by people who have never ridden one (or even seen one) and just looked at a bunch of numbers and think they're a f*ckin expert...

As PCfly says, this thread is for people who would like to see the bike brought into the USA - to give you more choice - there are plenty of other slag-fests if you want to put your 2 cents in... yawn.
+1 Folks need to get the f"*#k over it. I'm a Yamaha fan and I own a KLR. I have seen this motorcycle in person and would love to own one and dump the KLR to do it. People don't like it need to find entertainment elsewhere because personally I don't give a shit as to their opinion.
'cuse I like it

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:51 AM   #102
mr openroad
Target Fixated

Oddometer: 4,083
Quote:
its obvious you do not like this bike and are a KTM snob which is fine so just move along now
mr openroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:59 AM   #103
Krasniewski
I don't ride much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr openroad View Post
you think it would sell for 10 stacks here?
I seriously doubt it, but according Brummbar on the other page that has one, he paid 7,500 Euro - that's $9,886.50 according to Google today.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=79

Not sure if that's retail, or OTD and I don't know how they come up with MSRP, or what they'd ask for one here, but I really don't think she'll sell well at 10k unless you're a die hard fanatic (and it sounds like we have a few) - but apparently Yamaha doesn't either, as they haven't decided to import yet.

Again, I'm not saying it's a bad bike - it looks like a great bike... just not a value in my eyes. I wish the value part didn't matter to me - but it does, and to a vast majority of buyers.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:40 AM   #104
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 4,950
Again, when I spoke to the local Yamaha dealer they said the XT660 would end up costing to much to bring to the states.

Now, I don't understand this but then I am not a business expert either.

As to the slagging of the bike, it is a bit ridiculous.

There are quite a few folks here and each will have a different def. to Adventure Touring.

To ME it doesn't involve MX type riding. Some tough terrain? Sure. Way off the beaten (paved) path? Yup.

For that I don't need a super light bike with a high-revving motor producing huge hp. numbers.

I need a strong sub-frame, a motor tuned for longevity, big tank (or moderate tank with great economy), screen (touring often involves roads), good clearance, and a design that lends itself to creative solutions or development of an after-market, well er, market...

To those who would rather tear it up MX style, there is the Husky TE 610/30, KTM 690, Hussaberg (sp?), etc. Load it up and go.

just my .02.

JMo, aren't you supposed to be getting ready for a small enduro type race??? Somewhere in Africa?? If so, you better get crackin' love.

Good luck!

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:04 AM   #105
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,321
Quote:

+1

Some folks act like this is a petition to convert a local wet land into a chemical weapons plant. We just want yamaha to make this bike available to us customers. If you don't want to buy one that is fine, but don't you all think people should have the freedom to make that choice? For some reason yamaha thinks this bike won't sell in the us, but this is our chance to show them there is some interest.
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote