Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2013, 08:49 AM   #1
Trailrider58 OP
Oldnlazy

Oddometer: 33
2013 Hillbilly Tour - WVA Sept 2013

Greetings,
Attempting to post a little information and hopefully entertain a bit from our WVA Adventure Ride last month. My sincere gratitude to my two "fox hole buddies" John A (aka Pappy) and Ted (OhioTed see his posts under the DRZ forum).

First, a bit of history about my partners in stupidity and the bikes taken this year. We are all mid-50s riders of varying skills. Pappy is a WVA boy now living in PA, and gets most of the accolades for putting this amazing trip together to show off the wonders of his home state. Pap brought along his tricked out DRZ400; a very, very good choice for this type of ride. John is a very good off-road enduro rider, an accomplished road racer (especially fond of vintage Italian small displacement bikes), possesses an incredible mechanical mind, and avid outdoorsman.

Ted is the best off-roader of our little cast of idiots with a hare-scrambles and enduro racing background. He is quite well known around the Eastern Ohio and Western PA world for restoring vintage bikes from Pentons to BSA/Triumphs. He is another dude with an incredible mechanical mind and skill when it comes to bikes and cars. Ted also brought along his stone stock DRZ400 and an old Honda XL250 as a loaner bike for me. I have to say this; as much as I liked the tricked-out DRZ, Ted's stocker was easier for me to ride for the long hours and rough conditions we endured. Incredible bikes - reliable, easy to manuever, and they can also do the slab without issue.

Yours truly hails from Texas. Every group has to have a slacker; pretty sure that would be me. My present steed is a DR650 and a couple of old MX bikes. The DR got left at home this year while I flew in and borrowed one of Ted's bikes. Good thing; it would have been quite tiring riding my DR on the H-M system.

Sadly, John A's adventure was cut short late on day #2 when he took a high-side flier off his DRZ while we were clipping along on a brand new gravel logging road. Unfortunatley, JA broke his hip and severely injured his shoulder in this get-off. It was just a freak accident, and in case you wonder, we wear all the crashing gear that is prudent. The man has a pain threshold that is out of this world. We put him back on the bike, continued 10 miles to the Snoeshoe Ski Resort for an early supper, and then got him back on the bike for the 35 mile ride back to his cabin high in the western part of the state. He suffered through the night with only ibuprofen, managed the 3 hour bike ride off the mountain the next morning (in the rain no less), endured a 2 hour truck ride back to Morgantown for an emergency room visit, and then was taken home by the lovely Mrs. Pappy.

Ted and I continued on to the Hatfield-McCoy trail system with the truck, Ted's really cool toy-hauler, both DRZ400s, and all the food that Pappy had prepared for us. (Ain't we real pals?)

We only got to ride about 3 of the 11 trail heads, but man what a blast. We're already trying to make plans for a repeat trip; it is so worth it. While staying at the Ashland ATV resort, we met some incredible new friends from Florida - and have been corresponding by emails now with them with hopes of joining up in the future for a shared ride. I highly recommend the Ashland resort- real clean facility, top-notch staff, very friendly folks, and they know how to cater to the enduro, ATV, and UTV riding crowd. An excellent choice of camping grounds.

Below is a photobucket site with a few of the pictures. Some interesting stops were taken along the way, but my favorite was the old logging town of Cass to see the general store and old steam locomotive. Here is their website. Definitely worth the stop. Wish we had more time to hang out there, but Pap was hurting big-time when we rode through there and we had to get him back to the cabin.

http://www.cassrailroad.com/locos.html

No pictures were taken at the really cool Snoeshoe Mountain resort because we were in a hurry to eat, help try to take care of John A, and get him back to the cabin's couch. Sorry, but go check it out below. Another excellent choice for a meal and a view.

http://www.snowshoemtn.com/

http://s857.photobucket.com/user/teriandjohn/library/?view=recent#/user/teriandjohn/library/?view=recent&page=1&_suid=138228058256205054078329394888

This was our third adventure taken together over the past few years, and we're trying to do more (God and wives willing). We've done TN, AR, and now WVA. All three states are just excellent DS and Adventure bike venues.

My advice - find you some fabulous friends like I've got in Ted and John A who build you up, hold you accountable, and at the same time tease you mercilessly. Find guys like them and go build some great riding memories.

Finally, here are a couple of youtube videos taken on our Hillbilly tour. Hope you enjoyed this little rant. It's difficult to see, but we had a bear cub run in front of us about the 9 minute mark on this first one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8ljIpR24nY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHmZL7lni0o