Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Jefe Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Yes, there should always be room in life for dancing

Jefe Diego freed., The political dance in Mexico is acquiring flavor

Never heard cojones in Mexico "too elegant" leave that for Spain, instead HUEVOS

Bato screwed with this post 12-21-2010 at 03:06 PM
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:23 PM   #122
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
Never heard cojones in Mexico "too elegant" leave that for Spain, instead HUEVOS
By the same token, avoid the use of the phrase in a restaurant "¿tiene huevos?", which means something totally different than the more appropriate "¿hay huevos?"
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:46 PM   #123
balloonman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Thumb Thanks TP for that dancing goat made my day.

Last time I did that 175 it was dirt in the mountians with loads of pot holes and I was behind a loging truck that only had one chain on the logs. Passing was scary but I would have been dead if that chain broke or the pot holes almost killed me. Captain Tom
balloonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:15 PM   #124
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by balloonman View Post
Last time I did that 175 it was dirt in the mountians with loads of pot holes .....
It's not the pot holes these days, it's the huge sink holes (actually, depressed sink sections) due to the massive settling of the earth from the torrential rains this year. They are marked off with signage but even in the daytime, not very easy to see and process if you're at speed in the twisties. Ergo, nighttime riding is out of the question on that route, if anyone was otherwise inclined to ride at night in Mexico to begin with.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:54 PM   #125
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,124
Quote:
It's not the pot holes these days, it's the huge sink holes (actually, depressed sink sections) due to the massive settling of the earth from the torrential rains this year. They are marked off with signage but even in the daytime, not very easy to see and process if you're at speed in the twisties. Ergo, nighttime riding is out of the question on that route, if anyone was otherwise inclined to ride at night in Mexico to begin with.
Well, I can only think of one guy.............

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul

SchizzMan screwed with this post 12-21-2010 at 09:02 PM
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:01 PM   #126
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,124
Quote:
I forwarded this to Chris Matthews on MSNBC and he claims he caught a thrill going up his leg.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no9fp...tailpage#t=30s

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:16 PM   #127
Arte
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,545
Quote:
By the same token, avoid the use of the phrase in a restaurant "¿tiene huevos?", which means something totally different than the more appropriate "¿hay huevos?"
OK, OK,
one more tip,

in Mexico, if you get to a Bar, and ask for a HUEVOS DE TORO (Bull balls) you will get two of this

and I do not want to get into the meaning of
"Los huevos del Beato Carlos"
which is a high level of mex slang..

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:22 AM   #128
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

I'm Very Glad to Mitla

Mitla

After enjoying Hierve el Agua, my plan was to reverse direction and head back in the direction of Oaxaca to see more sites. In this manner, I went the farthest away first, and as I saw more and more sites, I’d be closer and closer to “home”, and could cut short my plan if necessary and daylight dictated. Mitla is almost at the foot of the mountain as you come down from visiting Hierve el Agua. They’re very close together, so in the space of a few hours you can get a geological fix and an archeological fix.

Mitla is one of the most unusual archeological sites in Mexico. However this is not for its size or its grandeur. What Monte Albán was to the center of Zapotec politics, Mitla was to center of Zapotec religion. What makes Mitla unusual is the intricate carved mosaic fretwork on the buildings. There isn’t another site in Mexico where you can see this, or in Mesoamerica for that matter. None of the designs on the individual panels are duplicates, and each is made of individual stones cut and put in place without the use of mortar. The name Mitla comes from the Nahautl word Mictlán, which means place of the dead. It was built as a gateway between the world of the living and the world of the dead, which to the Zapotecs was the second most important event after birth.

One of the biggest differences between Mitla and Monte Albán, other than the fretwork, is location and scale. Monte Albán is on a hill with great views, with many pyramid structures over a fairly large area as you often think of with ancient ruins. Mitla is in a valley, with no similar vistas, and is on a much smaller scale. In fact, unless you read up on the history of the site, which I highly recommend, you might be rather underwhelmed with Mitla if you’re not into history. If anything related to Mesoamerica at all interests you, Mitla Is not to be missed.

Mitla is a UNESCO World Heritage Site

Old 12-23-2010, 10:39 AM   #129
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
MUCHOS HUEVOS 1.5 million amber-glass bottles daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte View Post
OK, OK,
one more tip,

in Mexico, if you get to a Bar, and ask for a HUEVOS DE TORO (Bull balls) you will get two of this

and I do not want to get into the meaning of
"Los huevos del Beato Carlos"
which is a high level of mex slang..
Now I know what they were thinking when desinged that bottle...
1.5 million

Love your reports Trice keep it up
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:32 AM   #130
shadman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
It was nice to Mitla! Punny stuff, twice pirouette! I have to put Oaxaca on my dart board now.

(twice pirouette = 2 times, whirling around = moto)
shadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:32 AM   #131
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,289
I Am really enjoying your rr Trice, even if I am a bit behind in reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Dent View Post
a reason to wrap the bananas. ....., specific to banana growing in Mexico. Possible, I guess, but don't know.

Since ethylene helps initiate and stimulate ripening, and mature fruit gives off this gas in small amounts, ripening can be hastened by covering the bunch with a plastic bag.
Actually the r eason for the plastic covers, and they used to be brown kraft paper bags, has more to do with keeping the fruit shielded from dust, insect bites and sunburn.And it is done in all banana growing countries. Bananas on the tree are for commercial purposes not required to be "ripe" .e.e. yellow. Comercial bananas are picked when mature,as you allude to -,- when they are still very green.Ripe yellow bananas are impossible to transport and would spoil long before reaching market - if they were not already squashed ito a mash in the loaded trucks.
.The ethylene -in-bag scenario only applies to bananas at home when one has bought a bunch which are still green and would be tart tasting.The bag trick speeds the conversion of starches ( or whatever) to sweet sugars.Leaving them at room temp in light would do the same at bit slower rate
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:01 PM   #132
Trailblazer
no cualquier gringo

Oddometer: 246
Better late than never. I'm here.

(Currently enjoying Argentina) (bikeless)
Trailblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:37 PM   #133
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,524
Merry Christmas Milton. Merry Christmas Tricepilot.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:14 AM   #134
Trailblazer
no cualquier gringo

Oddometer: 246
Merry Christmas all !!!
Trailblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:44 AM   #135
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
I Am really enjoying your rr Trice, even if I am a bit behind in reading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Merry Christmas Milton. Merry Christmas Tricepilot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailblazer View Post
Merry Christmas all !!!

Feliz navidad, prospero año y felicidad todos mis amigos amables

Here is one of my gifts this morning:

For a gringo, it doesn't get much better for Mexican cooking in America than this guy. His Topolobampo, Frontera Grill, and Xoco restaurants in Chicago are to die for. His PBS television show "Mexico, One Plate at a Time", is excellent. I have all of his DVDs from that show.

His favorite place in all of Mexico is, of course, Oaxaca