Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2010, 03:30 PM   #16
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeve View Post
I had an older Aerostitch RoadCrafter that was very comfortable, but hot in warmer weather. I ordered a new one and find it extremely uncomfortable. Something changed between now and 10 years ago. I will be looking at Motoport.
'stich stuff is quite stiff when new. The "something" just might be 10 years of use. Throw the new one in the wash and tumble it in the dryer on no heat for a while and see if it gets more comfortable.

To get back on topic... I really dislike the feel of the Motoport fabric, enough so that I'd never consider purchasing the product. I just retired a falling apart pair of R2P pants, replacing them with roadcrafter lowers with the bib attachment. When the R2P jacket goes I'm thinking maybe a Darien light jacket. Or not.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:41 PM   #17
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,037
Oranges vs. Watermelons

I'm always surprised that the two are compared as much as they are. To me, the only two similarities are that they are American made, and both are considered oversuits. The similarities pretty much end there.

One has a bonded waterproof/windproof outer. One relies on liners. One is Cordura. One is kevlar mesh or "stretch" kevlar (or cordura, but who buys that?).

To me, those are the two big questions. Either suit will protect you in a tumble. One maybe better than the other, but they're both proven. Do you want 95% waterproofing 100% of the time, or do you want to layer for the conditions?

For commuting the Roadcrafter is the one suit to beat worldwide for 2 decades now! The motoport suit isn't as good for commuting, but probably better otherwise. Then again, if you live somewhere it rains alot the liner system would tend to suck, but that's true of lots of manufacturers now! Motoport also makes a mesh and stretch one piece suit, but you still need the liner.

Stretch fabric can be made very water resistant and it's incredibly versatile in wide temp. ranges. I don't even use the liner unless I'm riding all day in low 40's, and never in the rain. It's a real pain in the ass in daily use. Jacket liner not so much. With the Aerostich (roadcrafter or darien, you don't say?? They're a very different animal!) you have no liner to deal with, so it's much nicer in cold weather. Hot weather, not so much!

Bottom line either suit will protect you. Folks whine about how stiff a new Aerostich suit is. They whine just as much about how stiff/bulky/clunky mesh motoport is! Stretch feels like sweatpants, but still very bulky! Motoport uses liners (like so many other makes these days). Aerostich does not! Search the internet and you'll find thousands that crash tested either suit and replaced it with the same!

Both manufacturers will bend over backwards to get a good fit. Arguably, Motoport might do more, but there's plenty of folks that have had problems with them. Personally, I think Wayne makes his life more difficult by offering custom. I feel for the guy. He's relying on his customers to make accurate measurements, and I'd bet that's the problem most of the time with Motoport fit complaints. I own stretch pants and jacket that couldn't fit better. My roadcrafter doesn't fit as well, but it's the "correct" size!
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:56 PM   #18
honda_silver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
I have Motorport Air Mesh Kevlar jacket and pants with liner pants, jacket with an additional internal insulation zip in layer for jacket.

I commute and ride year round.

During the colder days, I will substitute the internal zip layer for my North Face 300 Polartec jacket.

During the summer commute, I still wear my normal work clothes under the Motoport.

During the long hot (and humid) summer long rides, I wear LDComfort pants and shirt under the Motoport. If I add any water to LDComfort it will cool/air condition
- shirt for ~90 minutes
- pant ~120 minutes
I know they say mesh is not optimal for LDComfort cooling, but it still works just not as long.

So with the Motoport and with the proper layering/gear ... I can truly ride comfortably year round !!!
honda_silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:59 PM   #19
Panhandler OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 26
Sold!

You have convinced me that Motoport is the best product on the market. I called to get fabric swatches and ended up talking to Wayne for almost an hour. A great product with unparalleled customer service.
To make a long story short, I decided to go ahead and put down a deposit. The cost of material is going up and the prices will soon rise, so I wanted to lock in the current price.
Now comes the hard part. There are so many options that it is almost impossible to decide. I am mostly convinced that mesh is better than stretch kevlar for Texas summers. I will probably go ahead and spring for the liner to make it a year round suit. I like the look of the waist length jackets better. I have read the pros and cons of waist length vs 3/4 length and think i will take the risk of keeping my weight under control. If any of you have been disappointed with the shorter jacket, I would like to know about it.
As for the pants, I have no idea whether to go with the jeans cut or police cut. I also have concerns about whether the mesh will damage the paint on my bike (something I have read about in other threads).
I am looking forward to my first custom made apparel. Thanks for any help you can send my way.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:06 PM   #20
Phil Y
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Eek Motoport Experience

I know there are many Motoport fans. I'm one of them and wouldn't trade my mesh shirt/pants for anything else here in hot, humid Hawii. That said, getting to this point was a chore.

The mesh pants tended to bunch up behind my knees (I ride a n R1100S) so I had the entire back panels replaced with stretch kevlar. Much better but expen$ive! My "fault." No problem.

Kevlar shirt, however, arrived VERY tight around elbows and shoulders, sleeves about 1.5 inches too short, DESPITE my having sent a sample shirt for sizing. After a bunch of emails back and forth, I quit arguing with Wayne that my original measurements were incorrect: they were not and I provded photo proof that the sample shirt sleeves were longer than the kevlar shirt sleeves. In any case, Wayne finally, without admitting that they screwed up originally, fixed the shirt by adding gussets to the shoulders. I bit my tongue and decided the reason I started this adventure was to get a shirt that fit correctly.

Just sharing to let you know that Wayne produces a first-class product even if his customer service sometimes leaves something to be desired and getting a proper fit long-distance may take some time, patience and $$.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:50 PM   #21
VFR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 691
I have Motoport kevlar mesh & ride with guys that have Aerostich. For commuting the Aerostich is definitely the winner. I commuted with my MP - not so good in the rain & for sure took more time to don & doff. If you are not in a hurry, it works well.

I actually just came back from a visit with Wayne today. I lost a tooth on the pant zipper last year which made it very touchy to zip. This year I finally had enough, so I went down there to get it fixed & also to have him put in a zipper to attach the jacket to the pants. He fixed them while I waited and put in a much stronger pant zipper. I was wearing my Olympia gear & we had a long chat about that..... While there, I took a look at some police stretch kevlar pants. He had a pair in my size so I tried them on....Bad Luck....they fit & I ended up coming home with them.... They are not an overpant so will work well when I don't want the mesh.

One point about mesh gear - it cools well until the air temp is below body temp. Above that & the air will pull the moisture from your body - you will notice that you don't feel any air flow. This is easily cured with the inner liner but not the thermal liner. You can still feel the air move inside the jacket & it will be cooler than the mesh by itself.

Wayne knows what he is talking about for sure & is a very nice guy to talk with. Motoport gear is pricey but worth every penny.

If it ain't fun, I don't do it!!!

Stuff - I need more Stuff....
VFR is offline   Reply With Quote